How to Create Gravity on the Moon. For reals yo.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Wingnut

How to Create Gravity on the Moon. For reals yo.

Or at least one way to do it anyhow.

This is a rather interesting (to me anyway) topic that has significant note in Gundam, and the Universal Century in particular, where we see lunar cities depicted much like any other city on Earth. I'd really like to hear feedback on this one as it sounds like one could make this sort of gravity solution work even underground like how we see that Von Braun City is laid out in 0083.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Seto Kaiba

Re: How to Create Gravity on the Moon. For reals yo.

Wingnut wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:13 pm Or at least one way to do it anyhow.
TBH, that's pretty much what I always figured was going on in Gundam... that the major subsurface habitats were artificially-boosted gravity using a ring or linear car system and that only the surface zones with things like hangars were true lunar gravity.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
SonicSP

I always wondered how Mars gravity worked in IBO. Looks and feels around the same as Earth with an atmosphere and all.

I always just assumed they placed a huge Ahab Reactor inside it somehow.......
Seto Kaiba

SonicSP wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 am I always wondered how Mars gravity worked in IBO. Looks and feels around the same as Earth with an atmosphere and all.
Most science fiction authors forget that Mars mean surface gravity is 0.376g and depict it as though it were a second Earth... something which would be more appropriate to Venus, with its 0.9g mean surface gravity, if only one could do away with the horrifically toxic atmosphere and runaway greenhouse effect.

G-Tekketsu sort of backhands out a brief acknowledgement to the gravity thing when Mikazuki is amazed by the pull of Earth's gravity after breaking through Gjallarhorn's Outer Earth Orbit Regulatory Fleet, but that's pretty much as far as it goes.

The only SF title I've seen that makes a realistic acknowledgement of the problems of large-scale colonization of Mars is the Horus Heresy WH40K novels. They handwaved the gravity problem, but Mars's lack of a natural magnetic field for radiation protection was acknowledged with a set of MASSIVE magnetic field generators at the poles to provide an artificial planetary magnetic field.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Haven't got time to watch the video yet, but judging from the comments, it is by rotation.
Edit: watched.

In fact, an old UC book which showed a Von Braun city map for visitors actually drew a centripetal ring underground, so that part of the city has simulated gravity.

The structure is exactly like an enlarged centrifugal machine where the rotation part has a certain angle sloped towards the natural horizon of the moon, so it uses both the centripetal force and the gravity of the moon.

So the same idea as in the video.

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 am
SonicSP wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 am I always wondered how Mars gravity worked in IBO. Looks and feels around the same as Earth with an atmosphere and all.
Most science fiction authors forget that Mars mean surface gravity is 0.376g and depict it as though it were a second Earth... something which would be more appropriate to Venus, with its 0.9g mean surface gravity, if only one could do away with the horrifically toxic atmosphere and runaway greenhouse effect.

G-Tekketsu sort of backhands out a brief acknowledgement to the gravity thing when Mikazuki is amazed by the pull of Earth's gravity after breaking through Gjallarhorn's Outer Earth Orbit Regulatory Fleet, but that's pretty much as far as it goes.

The only SF title I've seen that makes a realistic acknowledgement of the problems of large-scale colonization of Mars is the Horus Heresy WH40K novels. They handwaved the gravity problem, but Mars's lack of a natural magnetic field for radiation protection was acknowledged with a set of MASSIVE magnetic field generators at the poles to provide an artificial planetary magnetic field.
A rather soft sci-fi with Mars completely terraformed is the series Aria, where they renamed the planet Aqua with it's surface mostly covered in water. (The prequel is actually called Aqua, with all the same characters and setting) published earlier but discontinued) The show has very little sci-fi related plot in it, other than the few talking about how the world works, and much more super-natural related plots(Cait Sith is pretty adorable)
The method to generate gravity is in itself considerably harder in scale though, they have VERY LARGE structures build underground, tubes running all through the planet and have large marble sized mass accelerated to relativistic speeds to increase their mass, thus increasing the mass of the whole planet to about 1g.