The revival of Core Block Technology in late U.C.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

The revival of Core Block Technology in late U.C.

So, I have been wondering about why did Zanscare had so many MS with Core Block System. Is it because of BESPA, who inherited SNRI technology that included the Cluster Gundam and the Crossbone units (arguably their most important MS, even more so than the F91 as F97-influenced units appeared as late as 0153 (Crossbone: Ghost), and it were these units that shaped Zanscare MS development?
Seto Kaiba

Re: The revival of Core Block Technology in late U.C.

False Prophet wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 am So, I have been wondering about why did Zanscare had so many MS with Core Block System.
Did it, though? The only one I can remember being modular was the ZM-S08G Zolo from the beginning of the series, and I don't think that was considered a true Core Block System because it was two parts split right at the waist instead of upper body, lower body, and center body (cockpit/core fighter).

IIRC the Zolo's successor units got rid of the modular aspect of its design.

False Prophet wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 am Is it because of BESPA, who inherited SNRI technology that included the Cluster Gundam and the Crossbone units (arguably their most important MS, even more so than the F91 as F97-influenced units appeared as late as 0153 (Crossbone: Ghost), and it were these units that shaped Zanscare MS development?
They may have got the idea for the Zolo's Top and Bottom Terminal design when they annexed SNRI's facilities in Side 2 and handed them over to BESPA. Still, they seem to have decided it wasn't a very good idea, and quietly dropped that aspect of the design.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Kuruni

IIRC, it's just like Bawoo. A skillful pilot can pull some trick with remote part, but most cannot.
My girlfriend was a loli.
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm Did it, though? The only one I can remember being modular was the ZM-S08G Zolo from the beginning of the series, and I don't think that was considered a true Core Block System because it was two parts split right at the waist instead of upper body, lower body, and center body (cockpit/core fighter).

IIRC the Zolo's successor units got rid of the modular aspect of its design.
Ah, sorry, I was refer to the number of Zolo units. Wasn't the core block system omitted from the GM because it was expensive? Could the reason why Zanscare put it in a mass-production unit (their second mass-production unit and the first for land combat) was the same as what I had written in the post above (basically, Zanscare had no idea of producing land combat units, and so took the most popular existing concept?)
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:12 am Wasn't the core block system omitted from the GM because it was expensive?
It added complexity, and therefore cost... so yeah.

False Prophet wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:12 am Could the reason why Zanscare put it in a mass-production unit (their second mass-production unit and the first for land combat) was the same as what I had written in the post above (basically, Zanscare had no idea of producing land combat units, and so took the most popular existing concept?)
What the Zolo had wasn't really a Core Block System... instead of a Core Fighter that combined with an upper and lower body, the Zolo just had a detachable lower body.

The Terminal System was, I would guess, an attempt to maximize the Zolo's effectiveness as a transformable mobile suit. Its chosen form was a helicopter rather than the fighter-like wave riders of generations past, so what it gained in stability and versatility as a close air support platform it lost in maneuverability and speed that were critical to defense. Giving the Zolo a built-in unmanned support craft that could accompany it on attack runs seems like a really clever idea on paper, but in practice it doesn't seem to have been something Zanscare's regular mobile suit troops could properly leverage to its fullest potential. That's probably why it ended up cut from the Zolo's successor designs in favor of a heavier but simpler all-in-one unit.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
False Prophet

Say, on the topic of Late U.C. MS, which unit started the trend of intergrated non-handheld heavy weapons onto MS? I mean, the F-71, the F90, F91 (VBSR technically have handle for the hands to grab, though), Hardygun, Heavygun, Javelin, Victory Gundam (Overhang Pack), etc. either carry these types of weapons from the get-go, or have variants which do that.
MythSearcher

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 pm Say, on the topic of Late U.C. MS, which unit started the trend of intergrated non-handheld heavy weapons onto MS? I mean, the F-71, the F90, F91 (VBSR technically have handle for the hands to grab, though), Hardygun, Heavygun, Javelin, Victory Gundam (Overhang Pack), etc. either carry these types of weapons from the get-go, or have variants which do that.
I don't think that started in late UC, you get a lot of MS with such weapons even in early UC.
Sentinel MSs are good examples, but that is obviously carried from Zeta.
Dark Duel

Heck, if we’re talking about weapons integrated into the main body of the mobile suit, you can arguably go all the way back to the OYW - Guntank, Guncannon, and I’m fairly certain there were multiple Zaku Cannon variants that fit the bill
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
False Prophet

MythSearcher wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:00 pm
False Prophet wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 pm Say, on the topic of Late U.C. MS, which unit started the trend of intergrated non-handheld heavy weapons onto MS? I mean, the F-71, the F90, F91 (VBSR technically have handle for the hands to grab, though), Hardygun, Heavygun, Javelin, Victory Gundam (Overhang Pack), etc. either carry these types of weapons from the get-go, or have variants which do that.
I don't think that started in late UC, you get a lot of MS with such weapons even in early UC.
Yeah, but wasn't after the GM Cannon II, the Federation did not field many MS with integrated heavy weapons (such as beam cannons) in large number? There were the Mass Production ZZ, the Zeta Plus Hummingbird, the FAZZ, and the Jesta Cannon (and possibly the ReZEL Defenser), all of which were limited in quantity. The GM III and Stark Jegan did not count, for they only have missile launchers that could be purged.
Kuruni

False Prophet wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:00 am There were the Mass Production ZZ, the Zeta Plus Hummingbird, the FAZZ, and the Jesta Cannon (and possibly the ReZEL Defenser), all of which were limited in quantity.
Same as F90, F91, and Hardygun.
False Prophet wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:00 am The GM III and Stark Jegan did not count, for they only have missile launchers that could be purged.
Same as F-71, Heavygun, Javelin, and V Gundam.

In short, you just counter your own statement.
My girlfriend was a loli.
JEFFPIATT

False Prophet wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:00 am
MythSearcher wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:00 pm
Yeah, but wasn't after the GM Cannon II, the Federation did not field many MS with integrated heavy weapons (such as beam cannons) in large number? There were the Mass Production ZZ, the Zeta Plus Hummingbird, the FAZZ, and the Jesta Cannon (and possibly the ReZEL Defenser), all of which were limited in quantity. The GM III and Stark Jegan did not count, for they only have missile launchers that could be purged.
you forgot the RGM-90 Jegan Heavy Armed Type. http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/cca-msv/rgm-90.htm
the RGM-90 has beam cannons attached to the shoulder armor and basicaly acts as the GM Cannon for the Jegan line.