What Super Robot Wars' SRX unit makes me think of

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
WildeHopps_Shipper

What Super Robot Wars' SRX unit makes me think of

You know how Grungust and Huckebein from Super Robot Wars represent super and real robots, respectively, due to the former being an oversized powerhouse that shows casual disregard to the laws of physics, and the latter being smaller, more delicate, and more grounded in reality?

To me, if the Grungust and Huckebein represent super and real robots solo, then the SRX units and its three components, the Real Personal Troopers, would have represented both when in groups.

In a typical super robot series, teams of mecha usually combine with each other to form a bigger, more powerful mecha (except for the Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster mecha, which combine attacks as an alternative). Examples include Combattler V, Voltes V, Zambot 3, Beast King Go Lion, and three other Miracle Robot Force mecha that would eventually crossover with Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster, including UFO Warrior Dai Apalon, Chogattai Majutsu Robot Ginguiser, and Gasshin Sentai Mechander Robo. Real robot series, on the other hand, would not feature combining mecha at all (or combining attacks, again referring to Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster), due to how unrealistic it would be for multiple machines to combine with each other. So instead, the different mecha within the same teams specialize in different weapons, armor, and equipment to compliment each other, which was how we got the Project V mobile suits from Mobile Suit Gundam '79.

And that is what the R-series units and their combined SRX form are like. The R-series units consist of a well-rounded melee unit, a heavy artillery unit, and a psychic support unit, the exact same kind of combat specialties you'd get out of almost any other specialized real robot team. It wouldn't be until they combine with each other to form the SRX, that they go from representing specialized real robot teams to combining super robot teams.

Your opinions on this?
hitokirigarou

Re: What Super Robot Wars' SRX unit makes me think of

Just like how previous Banpresto originals are inspired by certain mecha anime, SRX's concept and plot (from Alpha and OG) seem to be inspired primarily by Dancouga (e.g., "real" robots combining into a "super" robot; a mentor who is held in high regard by the female pilot and later becomes the antagonist).
nacho-wan

The curious thing on SRX team machine is that they are designed to change the tide of the battle, let it be as individual units or as a massive Super Robot. Truly a Dancougaresque plot device as hitokirigarou mentioned. Fortunately they are worth more each component that the typical super robot ship or it would have made a very complicated game.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
MythSearcher

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:49 am You know how Grungust and Huckebein from Super Robot Wars represent super and real robots, respectively, due to the former being an oversized powerhouse that shows casual disregard to the laws of physics, and the latter being smaller, more delicate, and more grounded in reality?

To me, if the Grungust and Huckebein represent super and real robots solo, then the SRX units and its three components, the Real Personal Troopers, would have represented both when in groups.

In a typical super robot series, teams of mecha usually combine with each other to form a bigger, more powerful mecha (except for the Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster mecha, which combine attacks as an alternative). Examples include Combattler V, Voltes V, Zambot 3, Beast King Go Lion, and three other Miracle Robot Force mecha that would eventually crossover with Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster, including UFO Warrior Dai Apalon, Chogattai Majutsu Robot Ginguiser, and Gasshin Sentai Mechander Robo. Real robot series, on the other hand, would not feature combining mecha at all (or combining attacks, again referring to Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster), due to how unrealistic it would be for multiple machines to combine with each other. So instead, the different mecha within the same teams specialize in different weapons, armor, and equipment to compliment each other, which was how we got the Project V mobile suits from Mobile Suit Gundam '79.

And that is what the R-series units and their combined SRX form are like. The R-series units consist of a well-rounded melee unit, a heavy artillery unit, and a psychic support unit, the exact same kind of combat specialties you'd get out of almost any other specialized real robot team. It wouldn't be until they combine with each other to form the SRX, that they go from representing specialized real robot teams to combining super robot teams.

Your opinions on this?
It is indeed designed to be going in that path.
R-series with their R meaning Real and SRX is short for Super Robot X.
And of course, SRX is also designed to have Banpresto's logo on a Super Robot for their Super Robot Wars Series.
Haven't played New SRW, the game that SRX originally appeared, but the first OG game, SRX team and ATX team served as the Super Robot team and Real Robot team with their own twists. SRX team being mostly Real Robot-esque before their combination form and ATX team although Real Robot looking, Alteisen is used in very Super Robot way and their team consist of at least one Grungust.(Zero and later Two, depending on the time of the plot)

However, although you don't see combining humanoids to form humanoids, Gundam does have its own share of combination robots. RX-78 is a combination of A,B and C parts(A&B parts and Core Fighter) and same idea is also used in 0083's GP01, ZZ, S, V, V2, G, Impulse, etc. Personally I find not only combination mecha not realistic, but transformation mecha as well. (Though I kinda hated the combination idea, I do find transformation kinda cool some times, but that is probably just because I like the fighter forms more then humanoid forms in those mecha)

Also, Gundam dropped the 3 mecha team idea pretty fast. You still see that in the beginning of Zeta, but then Kamille and Char usually fight in pairs or gets separated. ZZ you get the Gundam Team, but Judah is also usually out on his own. CCA Amuro hardly gets teammates, F91 is also paired, and V you get a dozen of grunts as teammates for Usso.
In the settings, you do have 3 as a mecha team in early UC, especially when the ships cannot carry that many units, but then you also get a more flexible 3¬6 number, with 3¬5 being pretty common to 6 being the capacity of the rigs added on the Salamis and therefore a common RB-79 Ball team consist of 6 units.