The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk III

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk III

yazi88 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:43 am Yeah, beam saber and beam rifles are rendered useless because of the tough armor of the Nanolaminate armor.
More that the nanolaminate armor is diffusing and reflecting the beam, like we saw with that one ill-fated attempt to block a shot.

yazi88 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:43 am I'm actually surprised there weren't any heat powered melee weapons, like heat swords/axes like Zeon used in OYW.
It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it dialog statement in the first season, but the ammunition used in ship-to-ship combat is apparently explosive incendiary shells loaded with some manner of napalm intended to defeat nanolaminate armor.

SonicSP wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:57 am Without more information it’s hard to say for sure about the feasibility of beam weapons on mobile suits. With storage of Ahab Particles being impossible, I suspect they can’t do something like the pre-compression in UC that allowed the smaller mobile suits to use ship-class beam cannons (assuming IBO beams are made of Ahab Particles at all, which we don’t know either).
It's not impossible to contain Ahab particles... you just need halfmetal to do it, and that stuff is extremely pricy. From what I've read, pre-disaster cities used Ahab reactors shielded with halfmetal for power.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
SonicSP

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:33 pmIt's not impossible to contain Ahab particles... you just need halfmetal to do it, and that stuff is extremely pricy. From what I've read, pre-disaster cities used Ahab reactors shielded with halfmetal for power.
Currently we know that Ahab Particles exist for a small percentage of a second after creation from the Ahab Reactor before they decay into Ahab Waves. (I cant recall the specific time fraction.)

Indeed, Ahab Waves can be blocked with halfmetal but as far as we know it and the particles cannot be stored for later use in a capacitor, like GN Condensers from 00 or E-Caps/E-Pacs from UC, which was what I was getting at. That means the machine equipped with the beam weapon needs to supply 100% of the special particles from the onboard reactor, as opposed to the special beam particles being pre-charged by a larger reactor beforehand and stored.

(That particular hypothesis assumes the IBO beams are made from Ahab Particles - which might not even be the case and maybe not even likely since they’re supposed to decay really fast normally.),

In the case of the Asteroth Origin, supplying compressed Ahab Particles from the reactor to the Gamma Nanolaminate Sword via a wire was apparently already quite unstable even with the more advanced civilization tech of the time, so it seems that storage is likely extremely difficult or outright impossible unless they improve the tech level further.
Seto Kaiba

SonicSP wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:14 pm Currently we know that Ahab Particles exist for a small percentage of a second after creation from the Ahab Reactor before they decay into Ahab Waves. (I cant recall the specific time fraction.)
Japanese Wiki says an Ahab particle lasts approximately a microsecond.

Of course, it almost immediately contradicts itself by following that up with a statement that Ahab reactors create artificial gravity by circulating a liquid metal medium containing Ahab particles throughout a ship or space station's interior. That suggests that they do have some method for containing Ahab particles for longer than the particle's normal half-life.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:33 pm

yazi88 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:43 am I'm actually surprised there weren't any heat powered melee weapons, like heat swords/axes like Zeon used in OYW.
It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it dialog statement in the first season, but the ammunition used in ship-to-ship combat is apparently explosive incendiary shells loaded with some manner of napalm intended to defeat nanolaminate armor.
Oh yeah, there are heat projectile weapons shown, I'm just surprised it hasn't been applied to melee weapons. But then again, not too many Gundam series outside of UC have heat melee weapons...
SonicSP

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:35 pmThat suggests that they do have some method for containing Ahab particles for longer than the particle's normal half-life.
Hmmm, the ability to delay the particles from almost immediate decay does make it more likely they can be used as beam particles, which is my favorite theory of what they’re made of. The instant decay was my only hesitation before this.

I think they only thing we know Ahab Particles are used for is artificial gravity and G-Force reduction in MS in addition to Asteroth’s Nanolaminate Sword.

Nanolaminate Armor is a bit more confusing, I’ve seen different sources contradict themselves as some say Ahab Waves and some say Ahab Particles. I “think” I recall more saying the latter though it’s been awhile and some of my old compiled notes were deleted in a phone failure. Nanolaminate Sword using Ahab Particles seem to imply that it’s the latter if the technology is similar.

Then again, considering Ahab Particles decay into Ahab Waves almost immediately under natural conditions, maybe all the Nanolaminate Armor sources can be technically right in a way.
yazi88 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:34 pmOh yeah, there are heat projectile weapons shown, I'm just surprised it hasn't been applied to melee weapons. But then again, not too many Gundam series outside of UC have heat melee weapons...
I think 00 also has them, the Green GN Condenser blades seen later in the series converts GN Particles into heat in order melt the armor right before contact, which then further increases the damage from traditional kinetic blows. Gadess’ sword and Kyrios shield’ makes use of them in slightly different implementations of heat though it using the same materials

In regards to heat in IBO, it’s possible that putting them in swords might make maintaining the sword even harder and not worth the extra cost and effort.

The degree of thermal weakness of Nanolaminate Armor is still not totally clear as Biscuit’s statement from Episode 7 was that repeated hits from napalm can melt Nanolaminate Armor. It’s a big statement but we also know from the same arc also that repeated shots to the same spot can also peel of the armor (albeit I assume it takes more shots since ranged ballistic resistance is a stated feature of the armor).

Barbatos also survived re-entry with the armor paint relatively intact, which despite it using another mobile suit as a shield probabaly can’t happen if the thermal weakness was super bad.

So my impression personally has been that heat seems like it does extra damage than normal but probably not to the point that it’s worth putting in everything. Would explain why incendiary bullets are not used in the guns as well.
yazi88

I'm guessing that the extra Ahab reactors from Gundams give more strength to Nanolaminiate armor, compared to single reactor units. Armor plating is a factor too, as we've seen heavy armor units like the Brewer's Gusion and Man-Rodi/Landman Rodi being more durable with their nanolaminate compared to medium armor like the Graze or light armored Hexa Frame units like Hugo and Gildas. I believe that the Spinner and Garm Rodi's have medium armor compared to the heavy Man/Landman Rodi's.

As for heat weapons in IBO, after thinking about it, heat bladed weapons would probably not be as practical, likely being less durable/more repairs and needing to rely on a battery to power it up, compared to the more simple blunt and peircing melee weapons that will do the job just fine, just gotta be more precise.
crossbone_and_zaku

This might be pointless to ask but do the graze moblie suits have thrusters on the feet its got me baffled for a while
Seto Kaiba

crossbone_and_zaku wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 pm This might be pointless to ask but do the graze moblie suits have thrusters on the feet its got me baffled for a while
It's not actually in the feet... it's in the calves.

It probably has a lot to do with them being the only built-in thrusters the Graze has. The others on the thighs or the skirt are optional hardware.
The Macross Mecha Manual
crossbone_and_zaku

Thats mad well on a lot of the graze kits there's a hole in the heel of the foot so i thought that was a thruster but that is very odd thanks mate
Seto Kaiba

crossbone_and_zaku wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm Thats mad well on a lot of the graze kits there's a hole in the heel of the foot so i thought that was a thruster but that is very odd thanks mate
Must be for a stand or something... there's no hole in the heel in the line art.
The Macross Mecha Manual
PowerdGNFlag

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 pm
crossbone_and_zaku wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm Thats mad well on a lot of the graze kits there's a hole in the heel of the foot so i thought that was a thruster but that is very odd thanks mate
Must be for a stand or something... there's no hole in the heel in the line art.
To add to this I checked both my Graze kits (1/144 and 1/100) and there's no such detail in the heel (not counting the hollow space in the 1/144).
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
BrentD15

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:55 pm
Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 pm
To add to this I checked both my Graze kits (1/144 and 1/100) and there's no such detail in the heel (not counting the hollow space in the 1/144).
It might be for a stand.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
DawningTape

So I have a question after the Battlogue. We get to see an exchange similar to that of the Battle between the BLR and the Vidar, in which the fight was taken into the sky and back to the ground. Does this mean that the BLR is flight capable, at least to a certain extent?

Its something that gets my head spinning as for example the Hashmal is a ground type MA but it can put its legs on the sides and supposedly become fully flight capable machine.

Im asking this as the BLR pushed the Vidar back with the AV-E system active. We know that afterwords it made atmospherical exit with the help of a shuttle in about a minute and afterwords by itself it traveled from the earth to the station in the moon in a minute while not unleashed. I need to know exactly then what I should consider true.
SonicSP

DawningTape wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:02 amDoes this mean that the BLR is flight capable, at least to a certain extent?
They can jump high and float a little, but don't think either Barbatos or Vidar can fly. Jumping high is something we see quite a lot of MS do in IBO though. Bael can indeed float and hover in the air thanks to those binders.

One other factor to consider is also where the example is taking place. IBO Mars may possibly have less gravity than Earth like real Mars but its hard to tell for sure because everyone looks normal and physics don't look too different from 1G. Battlelogue example looked a lot like IBO Mars.

Who knows whether pre-Calamity War humanity did something to Mars gravity to make it more like Earth in the past, they certainly had the tech in theory.
DawningTape wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:02 amIts something that gets my head spinning as for example the Hashmal is a ground type MA but it can put its legs on the sides and supposedly become fully flight capable machine.
From a quick check I did, I don't think we ever saw Hashmal flew in the anime. From memory, I don't recall the ability being mentioned in any material either. Given the rarity of flying mobile weapons in IBO and the tactics Hashmal used, I personally doubt it can fly.
DawningTape

They can jump high and float a little, but don't think either Barbatos or Vidar can fly. Jumping high is something we see quite a lot of MS do in IBO though. Bael can indeed float and hover in the air thanks to those binders.
I mean Im unsure of that as we know that the thermal transition thrusters are also used as the main ones in the ships they use. And after talking to people who look a lot into the cosmic era, UC and 00. Most say that the ability to change altitude and hover is in essence already a way to show flight capabilities. Something that someone pointed out to me is how if it didnt then the Battlogue wouldve been quite a dumb match up.
One other factor to consider is also where the example is taking place. IBO Mars may possibly have less gravity than Earth like real Mars but its hard to tell for sure because everyone looks normal and physics don't look too different from 1G. Battlelogue example looked a lot like IBO Mars.

Who knows whether pre-Calamity War humanity did something to Mars gravity to make it more like Earth in the past, they certainly had the tech in theory
I mean we know that it was terraformed, besides even the orphans of Tekkadan didnt experiment any issues when in land. Something that in essence tells us that Mars gravity is the same or extremely close, like 0.98 out of 1.[/quote]
From a quick check I did, I don't think we ever saw Hashmal flew in the anime. From memory, I don't recall the ability being mentioned in any material either. Given the rarity of flying mobile weapons in IBO and the tactics Hashmal used, I personally doubt it can fly.
We basically only saw it hover when moving through mars. However, if you look into its set, the legs can be put in the sides, leaving it with the shape of a bird fully and always being positioned as in flight above the Plumas.
SonicSP

DawningTape wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:28 amI mean Im unsure of that as we know that the thermal transition thrusters are also used as the main ones in the ships they use. And after talking to people who look a lot into the cosmic era, UC and 00. Most say that the ability to change altitude and hover is in essence already a way to show flight capabilities. Something that someone pointed out to me is how if it didnt then the Battlogue wouldve been quite a dumb match up.
They're the same type, but whether they have the same power is a different matter. Probably the ships are stronger because they have larger Ahab Reactors and even then the ships in IBO are all strictly space-to-space and can just build up traveling speed.

There are shuttle rockets that are used to escape the planets with enough thrust to also carry mobile suits with them but we do not have confirmation on what propulsion they use. Thermal Phase Transition Thrusters used by the big ships and mobile suits require Ahab Reactors to heat and expel the hydrogen propellant. The SAU scout plane seen briefly in early Season 2 did not have an Ahab Reactor so we know its not using Thermal Phase or Ahab Thrusters either. The only non-Ahab propulsion mechanism we officially know are hydrogen engines, confirmed on space mobile workers and the Kutan Type-III.

In Gundam 00 and CE we saw a number of MS fly, maneuver and float at high altitudes for long periods so they are indeed flying. In IBO, we never see mobile weapons hover at high attitudes for long, usually they jump maybe stay in the air for a short while and then fall back. The only exception that we have seen stably hovering in the air is Bael and it seems to have binders designed for that purpose.
DawningTape wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:28 amWe basically only saw it hover when moving through mars. However, if you look into its set, the legs can be put in the sides, leaving it with the shape of a bird fully and always being positioned as in flight above the Plumas.
If you're referring to the HG box artwork, the problem with that is that it also shows some Plumas flying higher than Hashmal behind it, and we know they likely do not have that ability. Without knowing how they got there, we don't know whether it was just a short jump or actual flight since they are all within a canyon and can easily have jumped or dropped from above.

Model box artwork are also designed to be stylish so there is also the question of how seriously we can derive ability specs from it.

For the manual, there is only one picture with both where there isn't a Pluma above Hashmal. It is the one where both of the gunplas are mounted on their respective stands. That Pluma is essentially floating in the air in the picture too and we cannot, for example, infer that the Plumas can fly from it. 

I do think it's possible that Hashmal can fly, the tech certainly exists as seen with Bael and it cannot be definitively ruled out. The problem is that given the huge majority of Ahab mobile suits can't, the lack of direct statement of Hashmal having the ability as well as the official ground-use classification, it isn't the safe default assumption. Even if we take some of the kit air poses seriously, they can still be plausibly attributed to jumping, which is a common ability in IBO.

Hashmal was indeed a bird but maybe the ground focus made it more more like the chicken of mobile armors. :lol: