The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk III

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
E08

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk III

zerg171 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 pm hey E08 do you have a larger version of this https://scontent-sin6-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=599FAED9 i'd like to see more of the gram rodie boost hammer.
Sorry, haven't seen any.
zerg171

E08 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:06 pm
zerg171 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 pm hey E08 do you have a larger version of this https://scontent-sin6-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=599FAED9 i'd like to see more of the gram rodie boost hammer.
Sorry, haven't seen any.
oh, thanks any way.
SonicSP

Thanks a lot for translation.
zerg171

hitokirigarou wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:35 pm
zerg171 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 pmhttps://scontent-sin6-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=599FAED9 i'd like to see more of the gram rodie boost hammer.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/miimll
:D thanks hitokirigarou .
Den

hi guys just a question, are the claws of barbatos lupus rex the same material with the bael's sword and grimgerde's? cannot find anything about it online so figured if they did said something about it on the manuals and other media. thanks!
E08

Den wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:56 am hi guys just a question, are the claws of barbatos lupus rex the same material with the bael's sword and grimgerde's? cannot find anything about it online so figured if they did said something about it on the manuals and other media. thanks!
The bael swords are made of the rare metal used in MS frame as noted in the HG manual kits. The rex nails and valkyria blades are made of unspecified rare metal, but AFAIK, no source has claimed they are made of the same type of rare metal.

Things are however different when the mechs are being designed in real life. According to the Mechanical Works book (if I didn't read wrongly...), when the bael swords are being proposed, they are indeed a remodelled version of the valkyria blades. Similarly, the Lupus Rex's rex nails and tail blade are also initially meant to be made of the same rare metal as valkyria blades.
Den

Ohhh nice! Just got back to being able to check on the forums haha sorry foe the late reply. Anyway another question for ibo guys, was there any mention on what those green symbols on the knee of the barbatos are? Are they like green lights or are they green paints? :)
Dark Duel

No, AFAIK there was no explanation for what those were. The same symbol as on the original Barbatos(which was red) also appears on Bael's shoulders and inside its cockpit(on the control sticks). IIRC that same triangular icon also appeared on Hashmal too, during its rampage.

Lupus and Rex had a different, green triangular symbol on the knees, but AFAIK, there's been no word on those being anything other than just cosmetic details.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Den

Thanks!
E08

My search for more scans from the ‘Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mechanical Works’ book led me to a ‘E-website’ (which I cannot name due to forum rules) that has a trove of Gundam book scans, including other IBO season 2 books: ‘The Document of Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 2’, ‘Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mechanics & World 2’ and ‘Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Second Season Completion’.

So I complied a list of some interesting stuffs (from my point of view) from these books and will be sharing them here weekly (or so…). Note: I am not truly fluent in Japanese, so my translation/interpretation may not be completely accurate. Unsurprisingly, the books sometimes contradict each other or even other sources, or make some surprising claims. For simplicity’s sake, I have abbreviated the books’ name as follows:

-Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mechanical Works: M.Works
-The Document of Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 2: Doc 2
-Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mechanics & World 2: M&W 2
-Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Second Season Completion: 2nd C

Mobile Armors (M&W 2)
A major factor for the MAs going rampant during the Calamity War is the AI controlling the machines expanded the targets from enemy soldiers to all mankind. During the war, the AI self evolves, becoming better, stronger and gaining the ability to self-propagate. Countermeasures developed by humanity against MA include MS, Nanolaminate armor, and Dainsleif. MA may have acquired Nanolaminate armor technology via leaked information during the war.

Hashmal
M.Works: The Hashmal was awakened after it sensed the Ahab Wave of Iok’s MS. It was previously asleep as the half metal around it had prevented it from detecting Ahab Wave. The abdominal fins are capable of independent movements. The limbs are not legs, but arms. Despite being larger than a MS, it has much higher agility and during attacks, it reminds one of a bird of prey. Although the energy supply system is not directly related to combat, it is proof that the MA is an autonomous unmanned weapon, and hence an important function. Hashmal’s core control unit is located on the underside of the head; concentrated attacks on it by Mikazuki caused the MA to cease functioning.

The Superhard Wire Blade is a mid-range weapon; its trajectory can be freely controlled, and can be used to launch surprise attacks from blind spots. The Kinetic Energy Shot is a powerful weapon with its own propulsion power, and can penetrate enemy’s armor. Hashmal’s beam weapon has high destructive power and effective range, but could not be fired instantly. Nanolaminate armor only diffuse and refract the beam, minimizing the damage done, but it does not absorb or weakened the beam.

M&W 2: Hashmal is a ground-use MA and there are possibly other space-use units also bearing angelic-based names. Like MS, MA’s frame is also made of high hardness, rare alloy. Beam weaponry was once the main armament of mobile weapons, but this changed after the invention of Nanolaminate Armor. Although Hashmal’s core control unit is exposed on the underside of the head and looks unprotected, the MA’s body armor uses Nanolaminate Armor and is thus extremely robust. Furthermore, Pluma accompanies the Hashaml, so landing a direct attack on the core control unit is extremely difficult.

The wire of the close combat use Superhard Wire Blade is made of a special alloy that bends flexibility at room temperature when charged with a trace amount of electrical current. The blade of the Superhard Wire Blade has high hardness. The kinetic energy shot bullet has its own propulsion device, and is like a rocket type spear. Although not as powerful as a Dainsleif, it is still strong in its own rights.

Pluma
M.Works: They also protect the Hashmal and can be used to survey the enemy’s fighting strength. A single Pluma is no match for a MS, but as they move in groups, they can easily decimate production plants, human beings and MS. Pluma will stop functioning if the Hashmal is destroyed. They tend to attack from various directions, confusing the enemy with their tricky movements. The panel/hatch at the top that opens up is the energy receiver. The firepower of its railgun is weak, but this is compensated with the Plumas firing their railguns in a tight formation.

M&W 2: Capable of agile movements due to the thrusters on various parts of its body.

2nd C: Pluma is described as a high mobility sub unit.

Dainsleif Characteristics (M&W 2)
Merit: Can penetrate Nanolaminate Armor
Demerit:
1) Not a guided/homing weapon, a single shot will not hit the highly mobile MA.
2) Decoy is needed to stop the MA’s movements. Preparing a large numbers of projectiles and targeting a large area is necessary. However, it is still possible for the attack to miss.
3) If the launch/firing point is specific, the attack is very likely to be evaded.
4) Deals serious damage to the surface, in situations where reconstruction is considered, attack on the surface might be limited. However this is not the case during an emergency situation.

MS Development & Deployment (M&W 2)
The early to middle stages of the war was the period where the foundation for humanoid weaponry was established. When MS was first created, the gap in performance with the MA was unexpected. Even in the middle stage, MS such as the Hexa Frames and Rodi Frame have difficulty fighting on equal terms with MA. In the late stage, more thought was put into using MS to fight against MA, leading to the competition between Gundam Frame and Valkyria Frame. While the Gundam Frame is extremely specialized for anti-MA battle, the Valkyria Frame is more of a further development of humanoid weaponry.

The Gundam Frames made up about 80% (estimates based on pie chart shown in book) of the machines used against the MAs on the surface of Earth, Moon and Mars. The remaining are normal MS, support teams, etc. In space (between Earth and Moon, and between Moon and Mars), battles against the MAs are mainly conducted using Dainsleifs (80%), supported by Gundam Frames (~10%), other normal MS and other support teams (~10%). This division is to ensure the best use and distribution of resources. Another contributing factor for this division is that usage of the Dainsleif led to heavy damage on the Moon. As the Barbatos and Flauros were found on the Mars, there is a possibility that they used to work in a team.

MS Development Post War
M.Works: Gjallarhorn was fearful MS fallen into the hands of unspecified forces would became the roots of rebellion. So, it monopolized MS development technology for about 300 years. However, restoration of calamity war era machines and trial development occurred in areas outside of Gjallarhorn’s surveillance, such as the Outer Sphere.

M&W 2: The true aim behind limiting the building of new Ahab Reactors to the Gjallarhorn is to restrict MS development. Furthermore, to manufacture MS, the precision technology needed to process the high hardness rare metal alloy used in MS frame is required. However, it is difficult to reproduce the technology as Gjallarhorn kept it a secret in fear of a collapse in the military balance. Teiwaz managed to clear this huddle, and created original MS frame that utilized salvaged Ahab reactors, resulting in the prototype machines, Hyakuren and Hyakuri.

The Ahab Reactor building restrictions is also noted to be for suppressing the reactor’s characteristic electronic interference. Also, as the essential Half Metal became precious after the war, the uses of the reactors have to be limited, unlike before the war where the reactors are used in various infrastructures.

Alaya-Vijnana System
M.Works: Surgery originally has no age restriction, but as technical capabilities fell 300 years after the war, the age at which surgery is possible and the success rate both decreased.

M&W 2: For Gundam Frames that were not/could not be recovered after the war, their cockpit was destroyed as a physical measure to prevent leakage of the AV technology. The taboo regarding mechanical implants in the human body is actually to prevent wide spread use of the AV System. Outer Sphere uses leaked, incomplete AV system technology

Alaya-Vijnana System Type E
M&W 2: Gaelio was near death when rescued by Rustal Elion, and to fight again, he received the Psuedo AV system surgery.

M.Works: Due to injuries suffered at the end of season 1, Gaelio has difficulties walking. The Psuedo AV system device has a function that assisted him in walking. After defeating McGillis, Gaelio is determined not to pilot MS anymore, so he removed the device.
SonicSP

Thanks a lot, looks like good stuff.

I'm kinda hoping they would elaborate more on how the beam works. What are the ammo restrictions on them, etc.

Also surprised at that 80% Gundam Frames number, considering how little of them they are. The other MS must have been so hammered before they were made that there aren't many of them anymore.

I also wonder whether beam weapons were also used by the human side? It would make sense that they were a big part since they had the anti beam Nanolaminate Armor while the mobile armors didn't. I suspect much like the mobile armors adapted them, the humans also had to change more towards Merle weapons.

It wouldn't even surprise me if Deinsleif was in response to the mobile armors adapting the Nanolaminate Armor. A reaction to the reaction.
Seto Kaiba

SonicSP wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm I'm kinda hoping they would elaborate more on how the beam works. What are the ammo restrictions on them, etc.
Gundam's usual approach is that whatever exotic particle is produced in the mobile weapon's reactor is also used in the beam weapons, so I'd guess it's either Ahab particles or something derived from them. Ahab reactors apparently being semi-perpetual like GN drives, I'd assume their only operational limitation is being able to cool down the gun and recharge the particle condensers.

SonicSP wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm Also surprised at that 80% Gundam Frames number, considering how little of them they are. The other MS must have been so hammered before they were made that there aren't many of them anymore.
Given how useless other mobile suits, including Gjallarhorn's latest, were against the Hashmal I'm amazed that 20% of mobile suits operating in that area against Mobile Armors were non-Gundams. Seems like a bit of a death sentence.

SonicSP wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm I also wonder whether beam weapons were also used by the human side? It would make sense that they were a big part since they had the anti beam Nanolaminate Armor while the mobile armors didn't. I suspect much like the mobile armors adapted them, the humans also had to change more towards Merle weapons.
The Mobile Armors didn't invent themselves, they were human-made weapons that went rogue... so that seems like a safe bet.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
E08

SonicSP wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm I'm kinda hoping they would elaborate more on how the beam works. What are the ammo restrictions on them, etc.
From what I have seen, I don't think any of the books talk about the beam weaponry in details. Then again, I skip most of the interview sections...
Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:13 pm
SonicSP wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:14 pm Also surprised at that 80% Gundam Frames number, considering how little of them they are. The other MS must have been so hammered before they were made that there aren't many of them anymore.
Given how useless other mobile suits, including Gjallarhorn's latest, were against the Hashmal I'm amazed that 20% of mobile suits operating in that area against Mobile Armors were non-Gundams. Seems like a bit of a death sentence.
Yeah, I was also surprised by the Gundam Frame being 80% of the ground based force against the MA. Sounds a bit questionable to be honest. About the remaining 20%, not all of them are MS, that figure also include 'support teams', but sadly no explanation for what they are. Could be medical teams, fuel transport, etc. I suppose the normal MS can play a role in diverting the attention of the MAs' sub units or destroy them like what Tekkadan's Shidens did.

I suppose the Gjallarhorn's MS would be more effective against the MA if they had the AV system, which seems to be the key. The inability of Gjallarhorn's MS to deal with MA is not really much of a surprise, the Graze is meant more for peacekeeping while the new Reginlaze was for anti-MS battle. Gjallarhorn however did have a backup plan for reappearance of the MA in the PD era, there is a reason they still keep banned weapons.
yazi88

Given how reliable and powerful the Gundams are, it makes sense they were at the front lines all the time against the MAs. Especially since all earlier attempts with mobile suits proved futile. And that most of those Gundams were lost too during the Calamity War.
SonicSP

yazi88 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 pm Given how reliable and powerful the Gundams are, it makes sense they were at the front lines all the time against the MAs. Especially since all earlier attempts with mobile suits proved futile. And that most of those Gundams were lost too during the Calamity War.
Gundams being on the front lines makes sense as that is what we would expect, but 80% makeup of the entire force seems very out there, especially given that only 72 were made (the descriptions also tends to use the "only" implying that it's not considered to be a high number). The HG Hashmal manual also noted that they were "countless mobile armors" in the war, so I would expect a lot more weaker mass production units to support them as more individual infantry. Deinsleif would help even things out more, but that's still a huge barrier.

To put it mathematically, 72 total Gundam units being 80% means that the total mobile suit number would be 90 - against "countles" mobile armors. It's not like the mobile armors are alone either, they have a huge number of Plumas with them.

In addition, I recall something about the Rodi Frames being very common post-war because so many were created during and used during the middle section of the war.

The Gundams also aren't particularly reliable because they are noted to be hard to maintain, especially their reactors which require a lot effort to keep synschronized for full output. This was mentioned to be the reason why not more than the initial batch were produced. It's not much of an issue in the anime, but the number of Gundam Frames in use at a time was also limited.

Given the way they have been described before, it seems to make more sense that they are smaller number elite powerful peaky units as opposed to the majority of the force especially given how their last descriptions like to emphasize on how limited their numbers were.
yazi88

Sorry, by reliable I meant combat record against MAs since that was their main purpose when being built.

I guess it would depend on the equipment on the Gundams, as I think all of them had specialized equipment unlike the mass produced Hexa and Rodi frames, some even being capable of using the Dainslefs as the case with the Flauros. Plus a group of Gundams working together, especially with the AV system can be very effective more so than the mass produced units. AV brought out the full potential on Gundams.
Last edited by yazi88 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuruni

SonicSP wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 pm This was mentioned to be the reason why not more than the initial batch were produced.

That being said, Dantalion (the 71th) is said to developed using combat data from previous Gundam units and completed just before the end of Calamity War. So if it's really "initial batch", then said batch last throughout the war and likely with long pause between each units.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Deathzealot

Hmmm... What about the Valkriya Frames?
yazi88

According to the HG kit for the Grimgarde, the Valkyria Frames were general purpose units that were easy to use and as ease of maintenance that evolved over the years to its descendants Geirail and Graze.