What became of MIP after the OYW?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gelgoog Jager

What became of MIP after the OYW?

The topic I made about the Capule got me thinking on what happened to the Zeon company that developed the Z'gok and Bigro, MIP.

Essentially, I'm curious if perhaps the engineers for MIP left for Axis and became the main developers of their mobile weapons, which might not be so far fetched if we consider that their main MS, the Gaza series, are essentially simplified TMS whose MA form vaguely resembles the concept of the Bigro: two claws/arms pointing to the front and one big gun.

The reason behind my question is to know if the engineers of MIP could have been involved in the development of the Capule, Axis own amphibious MS. As mentioned in the other thread, while on paper the Capule does sound like a fine amphibious unit, we can't rule out that the efficiency of its design is affected by the lack of proper facilities to test it out. Still, I want to consider the possibility that the data from the OYW MSM and MAM units could have allowed Axis engineers to create a proper marine MS even without the required testing facilities. And out of all the engineers that could be involved with its development, I think that those that produced the most successful amphibious MS series, the Z'gok', would be the ones with the higher possibilities of pulling out such task.

Back to the question at hand, we are told that Anaheim Electronics absorbed Zeonic and that Zimmad remained at Side 3 to maintain the Repulic of Zeon's MS forces, but I don't think I have ever heard what became of MIP.

Does anyone know if there's any official info on the fate of MIP?
ChaoticSheep1

Re: What became of MIP after the OYW?

I heard they were absorbed by Anaheim. Like its compatriots. However this info is from the wiki.
Kuruni

It's state so in Japanese Wikipedia, but sadly without citation.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote:It's state so in Japanese Wikipedia, but sadly without citation.
Might be a good time to pull out the Anaheim Journal and go through the list of subsidiaries.
Don't really want to dig that out from my physical library.

I recall someone uploaded the list in one of the threads.
Gelgoog Jager

The profile of Zimmad in the Gundam wikia makes me think that someone just made that up, since the last part has two contradictory statements:

After the end of the One Year War, Zimmad devotes itself to maintaining the equipment of the Republic of Zeon's military forces. After the One Year War, the company, along with rivals Zeonic and MIP, merges with Anaheim Electronics.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Zimmad

More importantly, most other sources stating that Anaheim Electronics absorbed Zeonic don't mention the other two companies.

Edit: Comment on AE subsidiaries list:

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php? ... 46#p376447

I'm using my phone right now, so I will check it later.
MythSearcher

Gelgoog Jager wrote:The profile of Zimmad in the Gundam wikia makes me think that someone just made that up, since the last part has two contradictory statements:

After the end of the One Year War, Zimmad devotes itself to maintaining the equipment of the Republic of Zeon's military forces. After the One Year War, the company, along with rivals Zeonic and MIP, merges with Anaheim Electronics.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Zimmad

More importantly, most other sources stating that Anaheim Electronics absorbed Zeonic don't mention the other two companies.

Edit: Comment on AE subsidiaries list:

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php? ... 46#p376447

I'm using my phone right now, so I will check it later.
While scanning through the list, found some funny ones,
Samsony C.I.M. Motor, founded AD1955: the description sounded like Samsung+Sony did a merger with some other company(can't think of what C.I.M. stands for but probably some vehicle/heavy machinery company) Notable for making the actuators for Gundam(RX-78).
AEI Roket Service: Typo of "Rocket"

Not listed in the 4 pages, but in the LOGO page, I see MIP, Zeonic and Zimmad.
Quite a lot of others like Gramonica, Samsony, etc. was in the list.

Reading some of the descriptions, AE absorbed not only most of the Zeon side industries, but alos quite a lot of EFF side ones as well, like Samsony(actuators), Takim(Generators), Bowa(Mega-particle canont), Brash(Mega-particle canon), Mathum(Monitor, audio related), Suze(Antenna).
Gelgoog Jager

In such case, then the mention of Zimmad staying to keep the Republic of Zeon's equipment is the incorrect one.

Either way I imagine that the Republic wouldn't have been allowed to produce new weapons. At most they seem to do minor upgrades to their existing vessels. In fact, some series have come to introduce Chibes with configurations similar to the Chibe Kai already around during the OYW, something which is not entirely far fetched considering that it is the oldest Zeon battleship and by the OYW was probably already in need of some upgrades. My point is that even these updated vessels might not even be post-OYW designs.

For better or worse, I imagine that the United Maintenance Plan should have allowed researchers from all companies access to the work of their other time rivals.

On the other hand, the researchers at Axis might not even be directly from either of the three companies, but rather personnel that was developing MS at A Baoa Qu or Granada by the end of the OYW. I'll have to take a look at CDA again, but IIRC there was at least some mention of people from the Republic of Zeon wanting to leave for Axis after the later is properly established.
Kuruni

Well...in Gundam Legacy, the Republic of Zeon even has a second Jormungand cannon (and once again it's proven to be almost useless).
Gelgoog Jager

Well, the first one isn't actually destroyed, only the control station is hit and the hurt gunner only seems to last long enough to fire it once more.

Does Gundam Legacy actually mentions it being a second unit or does it depict two at once confirming that there is indeed more than one Jormungand and not that the first was simply repaired?

This reminds me of that weird MA from the new 0083 manga that somehow includes parts from the Apsaras MA series. We know that at least more than one Adzam was made, but all the remaining components of the Apasaras should have been lost after Ghineas base fell during the events of 08th MS team. In particular any components used only by the Apsaras III should simply not be available not the data had been backed up considering how Ghineas was against orders when building it and basically ignoring all protocol.
Kuruni

...right, maybe I assume too much, will check it later.

However, the point is that if the Republic have to use such obsoleted equipment (even if it's newly built one) in 0084, then clearly they have problem acquiring new weapons (should have made it clearer, I must apologize).
Gelgoog Jager

Well, in the Ecole Du Ciel manga we see some Musais from the Republic of Zeon already carrying Hizacks, so I guess that by point they have started to become a pawn of the Titans. In Zeta Gundam we see Musai Kais deploying Hizacks and at least one Chibe Kai launching a Marasai. Overall, it's military forces seem to consist on upgraded OYW ships and MS provided by the EF/Titans.

In ZZ the group of Schuzrum Dias that join Mashymre Cello's forces seem to belong to the Republic of Zeon and seem to dislike being ordered around by Haman Karn. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Hizacks, Eye Zacks, Marasais or even the lone Asshimar that were among both factions forces during the Battle of Axis, which are commonly suspected to be Titans machines, belong to the Republic of Zeon forces that were absorbed by Neo Zeon after the EF handed over Side 3 to Haman

In the Unicorn novels some of the MS of the Republic of Zeon supposedly I nclude Hizack, Hizack Custom and Eye Zack.

This all points towards the Republic of Zeon lacking the capacity to produce new MS on their own and heavingly relying on the EF / Titans for keeping their MS forces, the lone exception being the RMS-099B units they purchased from Anaheim Electronics after the Titans were defeated during the Gryps War.
bilbros

Well, surely it's not an "official" source, but the recent Yoshihiro Sono manga Mobile Suit Acguy MSM-04 is settled in U.C. 0086 and apparently shows the M.I.P. still existing as a fairly autonomous company within Side 3.
MythSearcher

bilbros wrote:Well, surely it's not an "official" source, but the recent Yoshihiro Sono manga Mobile Suit Acguy MSM-04 is settled in U.C. 0086 and apparently shows the M.I.P. still existing as a fairly autonomous company within Side 3.
I imagine the Zeon companies absorbed by AE as subsidiaries likely still run with their original names.
The list and logo in Anaheim Journal doesn't really show the term AE on every one of them, like Samsony and Takim I listed up there. Zeonic, Zimmad and MIP are all similar in this case.
False Prophet

The Republic of Zeon buys second-hand MS from EFF (or at least that is the origin of the Hizack Custom that appears in the Unicorn novel). But then there are all that Jadg Doga, Ksatriya, Neo Zeong, etc. that appeared in the final battle of Unicorn (still don't know whether Vol.11 will focus the period before the series, or after Minerva has opened the secret). While there are numerous instances of a rag-tag bunch of Zeon Remnants creates and maintain their own custom MS, it's kind of hard to think that Sleeves has so many unique MS (still waiting for the end of the MSR Ridden manga. If the Minaret does survive and falls into the hand of Neo Zeon, then it would explain a lot of thing).

And we do know that the Republic helped the Sleeves a lot. But what does they give? Money, supply, manpower, of course. But there is still a lot of chance that somewhere there is still a (relatively) autonomous Zeon MS company.
ChaoticSheep1

If Neo Zeon had the Minerette then Char would not have had to drop an asteroid and Full Frontal would not have had to even pull of his scheme. They would just have to sit back and wait.
False Prophet

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:If Neo Zeon had the Minerette then Char would not have had to drop an asteroid and Full Frontal would not have had to even pull of his scheme. They would just have to sit back and wait.
Not quite. The plan to drop Fifth Luna was made before the manga.
ChaoticSheep1

Ah. Yes.
Gelgoog Jager

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone please share more info on the Minaret?

i only know a few details, such as it being a treasure of the Zabis which was entrusted to the Chimera Corps at the end of the OYW, but I haven't heard about its contents. IIRC at most i have heard that the manga it appears on also mentions Astaroth, the biological weapon developed by Zeon in the Rise From the Ashes videogame.

Is there confirmation on what exactly it is and who has access to it?
ChaoticSheep1

Spoiler
The Minerette is a factory/logistics ship which Chimera used to design and build. It has an advanced MS Development Suite on board that was eventually copied by Anaheim and the Federation.

A better part of a chapter is given to describing how it works.

What's hidden inside is what all sides want to gain control over. Char's Neo Zeon wants to re-purpose it into a MS factory and whatever else is on it is just an extra bonus.
And...
Spoiler
The EF believe its Astaroth, the PM wants to use it on the Colonies, Gopp wants to get rid of it but Ingrid suspects he might give into temptation to keep it around or use it. Horst (the old guy from Char's posse) wants it so that Char won't have to drop Axis. Everyone else just wants to destroy it.

fyi. I said that assuming it is Astaroth.