The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
SonicSP

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

RyuseiDateSRX wrote:
biohazard_star wrote:None of the Gundams shown thus far are know to be making use of their original Calamity War-era cockpits. Barbatos' was missing and was given a mobile worker's instead;
Erm I don't know about that. With Barbatos at least, it might be its original cockpit other than the seat. Because from what I remember, the original seat was missing, but the surroundings like the joysticks and monitors were still there. They just took the mobile worker's seat and AV system connection and installed it in Barbatos' cockpit.

So as far as I know, it IS Barbatos' original cockpit other than the seat. That red marking that its shoulders and other parts of its body has is also on the joysticks, further alluding to how it is probably the original cockpit. Not only are the designs of the sticks seemingly unique compared to the other suits, but the shape of the monitors and the HUD too, as well as the green light lines running along the top of the cockpit, which does the retinal projection to allow Mika to see directly through Barbatos' eyes (wish they showed that off more).

Can someone clarify on this though? If there's any side materials and things that delves into this, it would be nice.
The October 8th PD 323 entry of the CGS website mentioned that the Barbatos was useless as a weapon because it was missing its cockpit but because Barbatos still had its Ahab Reactors, CGS used them as a power source for the base.

It wouldn't surprise me that some parts of the cockpit still remain but whatever it is, we know something original is missing from the setup, which would still allow the "pilot fusion" theory to be plausible.
kabukigang777

mcgillis is stronger than mika why?because he has no AV system and make kimaris like a moving punching bag.
Kuruni

Stronger? Maybe not.

More skillful? Likely.

Smarter? Totally. He's more or less crush Gaelio's soul and goad him to fight without thinking. Gaelio's fighting style is pretty predictable to start with, but surely his condition make it even easier to read.
Calubin_175 wrote:So McGliss got the Fareed and Baudins under his control, with the issues still pending, and then 4 other families left.
Iznario mentioned that Carta's father is ailing. With the heir gone, Issue House is likely no longer important.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Amion

Err.... why is this not in the anime thread? O_o ;
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
SonicSP

Amion wrote:Err.... why is this not in the anime thread? O_o ;
Vaguely mecha related I guess since its piloting and tactics related.
Kuruni

For me, I forgot to look at the topic and though I were in anime thread.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Amion

To be fair we've kinda used the mecha thread for general IBO discussion this time around. Personally I find it a nice symptom that we fans are constantly intertwining the mecha with the show. Its proof we have a generally favorable opinion of it and are enjoying it.
SonicSP

The IBO kits are selling well I heard and given how Season 2 was approved, I assume there has to be some truth to that.
Amion

Yes, and I could not be happier. More merchandising appeal to the gunpla, I say!
balofo

Graze Ein manual preliminary info:
H: 22.2m, W: 38.6t
-Excessive mechanization like the AV System caused the gruesome ravages of CW. So they abolished AV but GJ continued research on it secretly since they couldn't abandon its high performance. The Graze Ein was solely for research purposes but Ein's situation made it possible for him to pilot in a rapid development.
-The new arms and legs are because the pilot needs to recognize the machine as his body.
-Drill Kick and Screw Punch take into consideration the pilot integration for melee MS combat.
-Custom Large Axe were made for the increased length and output new arms.
-Shoulder Retractable Machine Guns can fire rearward due to they having flexible range.
-Pile Bunkers can easily penetrate MS armor.

1/100 Grimgerde in 2 weeks.
Last edited by balofo on Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YokozunaBulldozer

SonicSP wrote:The IBO kits are selling well I heard
I heard the same thing too and I would not be surprised given that a good number of the 1/144 kits are cheap compared to the Build Fighter and G-Reco kits while pulling off a quasi-real grade with the frame being its own thing which still amazes me to this day.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Amion

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
SonicSP wrote:The IBO kits are selling well I heard
I heard the same thing too and I would not be surprised given that a good number of the 1/144 kits are cheap compared to the Build Fighter and G-Reco kits while pulling off a quasi-real grade with the frame being its own thing which still amazes me to this day.
I guess Build Fighters did something educational, since I actually comprehended most of what you said, to my horror. :)
E08

balofo wrote: -Excessive mechanization like the AV System caused the gruesome ravages of CW. So they abolished AV but GJ continued research on it secretly since they couldn't abandon its high performance. The Graze Ein was solely for research purposes but Ein's situation made it possible for him to pilot in a rapid development.
-The new arms and legs are because the pilot needs to recognize the machine as his body.
To add more information from the Graze Ein's manual:

-The excessive mechanisation part seems to be only a widespread thought about the primary/largest cause of the Calamity War.
-Graze Ein was used for research purposes because none of the Gjallarhorn's regular MS pilot is willing to have the AV implants.
-The AV system in Graze Ein was described as having high sensitivity.
-Besides greatly improving Ein's spatial awareness, the Graze Ein's AV system also have other benefits, 1)ensures that his body feels ok despite its missing parts/incomplete state, 2) allows him to maintain a stable mental state and 3) plays a role in allowing him to completely recognize the MS as his own body and hence control the machine using thoughts alone.
-The premise of Graze Ein’s design was the integration of the pilot with the machine. Thus, it is necessary for the pilot to recognize the MS’s body as his own. For that reason, the search for a form recognizable by the human brain began. In contrast to the Graze’s design, which is more focused on the mobile weapon aspect, the search led to a review on the form/shape of the suit’s limbs, and resulted in their current look.
-The suit’s manipulators are locked when the screw punch is in used.

I have also some information from the Hi-resolution model Gundam Barbatos:

-The Gundam Frame has a humanoid form so as to deepen the link between the AV system and the pilot’s senses.
-Nanolaminated armor is described as a special paint with a multi-layer structure.
-Apparently, what the Nanolaminated armor does is it absorbs the impact/shock of the attack, keeping the damage dealt to the machine’s body to a minimum.
-Also, in contrast to previous souces that says Nanolaminated armor reacts with Ahab Waves, here it says the armor react with Ahab particles. For those interested, I believe the first link in Balofo’s post on the info from the GMG spring has an explanation on the link between Ahab particles and Ahab wave.
SonicSP

E08 wrote:Also, in contrast to previous souces that says Nanolaminated armor reacts with Ahab Waves, here it says the armor react with Ahab particles.
Huh, speak of the devil. I just happened to be reading this this info yesterday on the manual and was contemplating whether to ask you to confirm it for me whether it is what it is. Thanks.

I was just commenting on another board on how I wonder about the differences between Ahab Waves and Ahab Particles. The particles haven't been mentioned for so long from HG Barbatos until GMG Spring that I was beginning to think they were being retconned before their recent reappearance in the literature. I don't think they have been mentioned in the anime either.
SonicSP

E08 wrote:For those interested, I believe the first link in Balofo’s post on the info from the GMG spring has an explanation on the link between Ahab particles and Ahab wave.
From what I can read, the chart seperates Ahab Particles and Ahab Waves into their respective functions (most of which that balofo translated in his GMG
post)
. Ahab Particles are used in the Anti G System within mobile suits as well as for artificial gravity. Ahab Waves are generated/originates from Ahab Particles. The Ahab Waves disrupts communications and forces people to use dedicated relays for long distance. Each Ahab Reactor emits a unique individual natural frequency which means they can be used to identify specific mobile suits.

The chart itself I would say is the key, because I think this is the first time we've seen Ahab Particles and Ahab Waves not only being mentioned in the same source side by side, but differentiated as two seperate subcategories in a single chart connected to the "Ahab Reactor" category. Pretty much most of the info mentioned in them has been mentioned somewhere else; but gathering and contrasting them side by side kinda hammers in the fact of what they are both part of the lore, as opposed to something that's being retconned in and out (Ahab Particles are rarely mentioned so it's easy to get that feeling sometimes before this, and now we even have that Ahab Wave-Ahab Particle switch for the Nanolaminate Armor strength)
Amion

Huh, and here my casual knowledge of particles and waves (aside that we don't truly concretely understand matter or energy as well as we'd like to) is that waves should be generating particles, not the other way around.

If that info I picked up, Google knows where, is true, then it's interesting the particles generate waves. Sort of a resonating factor, maybe?

And this is the first time I've heard about Ahab particles, specifically. All that's ever mentioned are the waves produced by the reactors.
SonicSP

I could also be reading it wrong, I can get some bad mistakes sometimes and I know they are other better translators here that might confirm or deny what I thought I read.

We first heard about Ahab Particles in HG Barbatos, which came out not too long before the show was released. Other than that, we barely seen it mentioned in other sources and I don't think the show even mentions it at all.

Furthermore on the subject of Ahab Waves and Ahab Particles, I just noticed that on Page 16 of GMG Spring, under the Nanolaminated Armor section, it think is says that Nanolaminate Armor is strengthened by Ahab Waves. As E08 pointed out, it's not the first time something like that has been mentioned but this contradicts what the HiRM 1/100 Barbatos manual says, which is that they are strengthened by Ahab Particles. By number of mentions, we have more sources repeating that Waves are the ones powering it.

So it seems that even though the GMG Spring didn't mention the armor strengthening on their Ahab Wave-Particle division chart, they did in fact saw fit to mention it on another section.

Also think it mentions that there's no performance difference between Nanolaminated colors, though white is considered disadvantageous because it's more easier to see. This part is near the "white is cheapest and most visible, purple is most expensive" bit that balofo translated earlier.
balofo

SonicSP wrote:I could also be reading it wrong, I can get some bad mistakes sometimes and I know they are other better translators here that might confirm or deny what I thought I read.

We first heard about Ahab Particles in HG Barbatos, which came out not too long before the show was released. Other than that, we barely seen it mentioned in other sources and I don't think the show even mentions it at all.

Furthermore on the subject of Ahab Waves and Ahab Particles, I just noticed that on Page 16 of GMG Spring, under the Nanolaminated Armor section, it think is says that Nanolaminate Armor is strengthened by Ahab Waves. As E08 pointed out, it's not the first time something like that has been mentioned but this contradicts what the HiRM 1/100 Barbatos manual says, which is that they are strengthened by Ahab Particles. By number of mentions, we have more sources repeating that Waves are the ones powering it.

So it seems that even though the GMG Spring didn't mention the armor strengthening on their Ahab Wave-Particle division chart, they did in fact saw fit to mention it on another section.

Also think it mentions that there's no performance difference between Nanolaminated colors, though white is considered disadvantageous because it's more easier to see. This part is near the "white is cheapest and most visible, purple is most expensive" bit that balofo translated earlier.
You're right about everything.

BTW the 1/100 Grimgerd doesn't seem to have any new info. It doesn't mention the material of the blades.
Brave Fencer Kirby

Regarding particles and waves, generally speaking waves are made of moving particles (eg, a sound wave is made up of moving air), but when you get down to the level of quantum-level phenomenon (like photons and, presumably, Ahab particles), they act like both a particle and a wave in different circumstances. The fact that this makes no damn sense doesn't keep it from being true: it's called wave-particle duality and is one of the weirder things about quantum physics.

Presumably the fact that they switch back and forth between "Ahab waves" and "Ahab particles" is a result of this. It's the same thing either way, but because physics is crazy, sometimes it's easier to talk about it one way or the other.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!