The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
E08

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

Manual info for Gundam Vidar: 1, 2.

The 'state-of-the-art system' mentioned in the MS profile is referring to Graze and Reginlaze's control program. The japanese text also notes that there is little detail/information regarding the Gundam Vidar's unique control system.

Also, nice name for the foot blades, but the text about them having no cutting capacity is a bit weird. Didn't those blades cut off part of a Glida's melee weapon in the recent episode?

Anyway, official site also updated with Vidar's profile. It roughly says that the machine spend a long time undergoing maintenance and adjustment with the Arianrhod Fleet. The machine's existence and its special system are most important secrets/classified information, with their details known only to Rustal and a few others in the fleet.
Dark Duel

IIRC they sliced a Glinda's weapon - either a rifle or some kind of handheld close-range weapon, I can't quite recall - in half at one point. So the statement in the kit manual that the Hunter's Edge blades have no cutting capability is contradicted by the animation - in that case, IMO animation trumps anything else.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Well, the poor Flauros isn't going to Hush, unlikely as it was to start with. I was hoping we wouldn't get a pink frog Gundam, but oh well...

Now's there's still hope for Hush to inherit the Barbatos or glorious mobile armor. :twisted:

On the topic of heated leg blades: I don't have pictures, but after rewatching the episode, the scene was shown clearly that: the weapon sliced apart by the Vidar's slashy claws was orange-hot at the tips, as if it was sliced off by a heated instrument as per usual with Gundam heat and beam weapons. There's also this telltale bit that might be the blades themselves being orange with heat.

Now, the only explanation is that this is just a case of Epyon Vulcans and in fact an animation error on the staff's part. Could also be the blade struck so fast it superheated the point of impact, which seems unlikely. To me, I'd say there's superheating properties to the blade, but it's not a full-fledge Heat Hawke setup as we are used to.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Shinji_Shinigami

It is stated that the Vidar (the suit, not the guy) has a third Reactor to mask its true signature. I wonder how that works. Is he running on just one reactor and the other two are shut off, till he needs the extra power? Is it using the Energy of all three and somehow makes the signature unreadable? I mean the sensors of this universe were pretty good and fast in figuring out, whose Ahab waves belong to which suit and so on, so i doubt that just slabbing a third generator on the frame would solve anything. And i wonder if the third generator has anymore purpose then hiding the fact, that this is the Kimaris? I mean it was stated that the art of syncing two generators is lost, which makes the Gundam frames as valuable as they are, even though it was never explained what the reason for two generators are, since thrust is generated by fuel and that universe is absent of beam weapons.... and sorry if my writing makes little sense.... my english is somewhat rusty....
Kuruni

You should consider removing that bracket, it would sound much more awesome. See here... :mrgreen:
Shinji_Shinigami wrote:It is stated that the Vidar has a third Reactor to mask...
My girlfriend was a loli.
E08

Shinji_Shinigami wrote:It is stated that the Vidar (the suit, not the guy) has a third Reactor to mask its true signature.
AFAIK, that claim is from Balofo in the Gundam wiki. Let's wait and see if it is correct.
SonicSP

Nevermind I'm an idiot. I read that wrongly.
SonicSP

Shinji_Shinigami wrote:It is stated that the Vidar (the suit, not the guy) has a third Reactor to mask its true signature. I wonder how that works. Is he running on just one reactor and the other two are shut off, till he needs the extra power? Is it using the Energy of all three and somehow makes the signature unreadable? I mean the sensors of this universe were pretty good and fast in figuring out, whose Ahab waves belong to which suit and so on, so i doubt that just slabbing a third generator on the frame would solve anything. And i wonder if the third generator has anymore purpose then hiding the fact, that this is the Kimaris? I mean it was stated that the art of syncing two generators is lost, which makes the Gundam frames as valuable as they are, even though it was never explained what the reason for two generators are, since thrust is generated by fuel and that universe is absent of beam weapons.... and sorry if my writing makes little sense.... my english is somewhat rusty....
While not confirmed by the released materials yet, I do find the masking signature to be a believable because of how much of a big deal the texts keep making about Vidar's secrecy is. They're not going to deploy it without a countermeasure that's for sure, regardless of whether the third reactor is the one that causes it.

But if it does work, it would mean that close proximity between Ahab Reactors appear to change the individual
Ahab Wave frequency. It's possible that the Gundams' twin reactors so far produces the frequency they do because they're close or synched together and that if they were separated, their Ahab Wave frequencies would be different.

=============

About the reactor output, one interesting way to look at it would be to compare the Gundams to the Valkyries/Grazes.

The Gundams operate on a raw power philosophy, in essence creating the strongest output possible but this comes at the cost of complexity. Even during the Calamity War era, they were difficult to manufacture and a nightmare to maintain, which was why not many were made.

By contrast the Valkyrie/Graze operate on an efficiency model. Instead of increasing complexity, they were streamlined to make them more efficient and easy to manufacture. In other words, doing more with less power. It speaks volumes that the Graze can be created with the reduced technological level of the present while also being easy to maintain. While they likely cannot match the Gundams at full power, they're still fairly competitive to the Gundams for the most part while not having their logistical shortcomings. Part of that is improvements over time but some is because of the strong base that the Valkyrie had during the war era.

In regards to the Gundam's raw power, the most obvious improvements I can think off are likely to come from armor, melee weapons and G-force. The increased muscle power of the frame would mean that they can wield the larger and heavier melee weapons, which helps in dealing damage to other mobile suits and ships.

The other is Nanolaminated Armor, which is directly powered by the Ahab Particles generated by the Ahab Reactors.

The Ahab Particles also reduce the G-Force experienced by the pilot within mobile suits due to the gravity that they generate. In Gundam Frames, the cockpit is located in between the two twin Ahab Reactors to maximize this effect. In Tekkadan's battle with Turbinez, we saw Mika feeling the brunt of increased G-forces due to his Gundam's reduced Ahab output when the Hyakuri dragged him around. Presumably the Gundams' effect is stronger than on other mobile suits in general.

But of course you are right, unlike in Gundam 00 where the GN Drives' Particles almost everything or even in UC where they power beam weapons, the increased reactor output means less in IBO.

One of the S1 manuals mentioned that Alayashiki System is needed in order to take full advantage of the increased reactor output. In addition to Ahab not being used for everything, I assume that law of diminishing returns is part of it. The performance increase in Gundams is there, but needs extreme precision to get the best results in battles.

I have a feeling the final battle of the first season might be one example of this, where Mika increased his Barbatos integration and was able to be more precise with Barbatos than he ever was by using a jumping stance that puts the full weight and force of Barbatos behind the first slash with the sword, and then letting Graze Ein's force cut itself with the second attack.
Dark Duel

E08 wrote:
Shinji_Shinigami wrote:It is stated that the Vidar (the suit, not the guy) has a third Reactor to mask its true signature.
AFAIK, that claim is from Balofo in the Gundam wiki. Let's wait and see if it is correct.
Looking at the lineart and photos of the kit, the main part of Vidar's backpack is abnormally large compared to, say, Kimaris's booster backpack for instance. And inside its framework is something that looks, from size and shape, to be an Ahab Reactor.
Also, Vidar's manual explicitly states that it has three Ahab Reactors

Also, we already know from its début that Vidar registers on sensors simply as "Gjallarhorn Unit No.21" or something to that effect, meaning that it is not immediately identifiable as Kimaris, which it should be based on its Ahab Wave pattern. So it is distinctly possible that somehow, that Ahab Wave pattern has been changed or masked.

So I'm inclined to believe that for now.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

I think E08 is referring to the idea that the third Ahab Reactor is there for the specific purpose masking the signature (which is not stated in the manual), as opposed to a third Ahab Reactor being equipped (which is all that is actually stated).

Considering how good balofo usually is with these things and all the other circumstantial evidence that have been shown, I believe the claim as well. Just that it's not been confirmed in the released materials yet. Sooner or later we'll have it.

It's sort of like the Vidar being Kimaris. We all believe it's true, but the official materials have yet to state it yet..........well except maybe for that trading card I guess.
False Prophet

So instead of building MS (small ones) first before MA (big ones), here in Post Disaster they built the MA (big ones) before the MS (small ones).

It is strange, really... I don't think that starting with something enormous (the side of that Pluma is at least equal to a Type 61 Tank, and it is only an unmanned drone) first is a wise choice.
Amion

False Prophet wrote:So instead of building MS (small ones) first before MA (big ones), here in Post Disaster they built the MA (big ones) before the MS (small ones).

It is strange, really... I don't think that starting with something enormous (the side of that Pluma is at least equal to a Type 61 Tank, and it is only an unmanned drone) first is a wise choice.
Yeah... in light of what we know, the sanity of the Mobile Armor developers is very much in question as a whole. They clearly wanted something of Titan material, something to butcher... everything.

Oh, and Beam Weapons
Spoiler
hath flashed. BEST beam weapon intro ever! :twisted:
Kuruni

False Prophet wrote:It is strange, really... I don't think that starting with something enormous [...] first is a wise choice.
Actually, if visual clue isn't enough, it's just like in Metal Gear verse. They start with huge machine first, smaller robot like Gekko appear much later.

Or they might have technology for big stuff first, ever read Asimov's Foundation series?

Or real life? Wise or unwise, it happen in real life after all.
False Prophet

Kuruni wrote:
False Prophet wrote:It is strange, really... I don't think that starting with something enormous [...] first is a wise choice.
Actually, if visual clue isn't enough, it's just like in Metal Gear verse. They start with huge machine first, smaller robot like Gekko appear much later.

Or they might have technology for big stuff first, ever read Asimov's Foundation series?

Or real life? Wise or unwise, it happen in real life after all.
Not really. If you look at tank, combat aircraft, submarine, etc and many be even the whole history of sea vessels for war, human always started small, then getting bigger and bigger before realizing that they could have the same destructive power in a smaller package and thus miniaturized their weapons.
Shinji_Shinigami

Well i believe the big one is a carrier and anti ship weapon and the smaller ones, like the one that had to be destroyed in the hangar, are actually against Mobile suits or smaller dangers. And i think those smaller ones can be a challenge for a normal mobile suit. Things would be even more dire if it uses swarm intelligence or tactics.... no wonder they needed something like gundams, to keep things like this at bay
Kuruni

The MA is called Hashmal (ハシュマル).

In other words, an actual celestial being.
kibasy

Saw the pinky Flouros, looking good.... very good
Amion

Kuruni wrote:The MA is called Hashmal (ハシュマル).

In other words, an actual celestial being.
As expected. Someone went and built destroying angels, so Gjallarhorn built demons.
YokozunaBulldozer

I cannot help but be reminded of Cpl. Giroro from Sgt. Frog every time I see Flauros, oh I'm sorry, the new Ryusei-go. :mrgreen:
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
SonicSP

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:I cannot help but be reminded of Cpl. Giroro from Sgt. Frog every time I see Flauros, oh I'm sorry, the new Ryusei-go. :mrgreen:
Oh god, now I can't unsee it either. It fits well with the Gundam fanservice on that anime in general too.