The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
E08

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

From 1999co.jp, Barbatos Lupus' manual scans

The engrish is not that bad. There is some summarisations and omissions in the english translations but the latter is quite minor. An example of the summarisation is that in the MS description, the japanese text mentions the Tekkadan's mechanics having difficulties repairing the Barbatos' accumulated damages, but the english text just says that the suit was too damage to repair.

As for omission, an example is that the english MS description did not include the part about Barbatos Lupus' weapons being constructed to fit Mikazuki's fighting style. Another example is the english text for the 'Form' section left out the last sentence, which roughly notes that due to Mikazuki's preference for close combat, damage reduction when closing in on the enemy unit is an important issue.

Here's the box text for the option set. The only new thing i recognise is the name of the new faction: Hēphaistos.
SonicSP

Looks pretty awesome, thanks.
E08

S2 official english site up. Here's the mecha page. Missing Shino's shiden and landman rodi though.
False Prophet

Anyone here ever wonder about why melee weapons used by MS have mostly short reach? I mean, in space combat then MS can get around with having just a short sword or axe, but for something intended for atmospheric combat like the Graze Ritter, something like a polearm would be more practical.
Kuruni

Two things, weight and force.

Keep in mind that simply being melee doesn't automatically bypass nanolaminate's damage reduction. It's mentioned in Grimgerde's profile that shifting in its center of gravity can be result in its blade (made from special material nonetheless) simply doesn't has enough force to penetrate the armor. On the other hand, we saw that the smoothbore cannon work if shoot upclose. It's all about blunt force.

So it's likely that lightweight polearm simply can't deliver enough force to punch through the armor while heavier polearm can be unwieldy. Sure, someone like McGillis and Mika are likely can stab through the gap between armors with a spear, but I doubt that it's more practical for Faceless Soldier A than an axe.
My girlfriend was a loli.
E08

Hugo's manual scans (slight character and story spoiler): 1, 2

Hēphaistos seems to be S2's Euro Electronics… Wonder if we will see more of the group. Will note the omissions later.
MayflyOfSpace

It's also worth noting that the manual mentions its height as 19.7 meters. Images of the kit show it definitely larger than most other IBO kits, sitting only a little shorter than the Graze Ein. So that's kind of cool.
YokozunaBulldozer

Every time I look at the Vidar I can see a potential future timeline where my wallet gets thinner.
Really looks nice.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
MayflyOfSpace

Speaking of the Vidar, it apparently has two little handguns tucked away into the front skirt armor:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iS0C6PDID8Q/ ... AEjN1S.jpg

Kind of an odd inclusion in my book. But that's still kinda neat, I guess.

Also, given that this image on HLJ of the Vidar's frame shows that it has a unique head, similar to the Kimaris Trooper, I'd say the evidence is piling up that this is definitely a remodeled Kimaris.
E08

Omission from the Hugo's english text:

*MS description
-Hugo is developed during the middle stages of the Calamity War
-Highly versatile MS, currently it is well liked by civilian security companies and pirates.
-During Calamity War, its production number is so high that it is the second most mass produced after the Rodi Frame. (Note:Although there is no mention of Hexa Frame in the MS description section, IMO, this information seems more related to the Hexa Frame. Comparing production number of Hugo to Rodi Frame-using MS is like comparing oranges to apples… Might have a clearer idea if more Hexa Frame using MS appear. )

*Scimitar
-Used for parrying and entwining enemy's weapons.

Somethings i forgot to mention about Barbatos Lupus' manual's omission is that when the Barbatos is being overhauled, they tried to increase the suit's reaction speed and mobility using Mika's combat data. The accumulated combat data and the deep link between Mika and Barbatos also played a role when they adjusted the frame's response rate to harmonise with the velocity sensitivity of Mika's brain.
SonicSP

Yeah it does really sound like they're talking more about the Hexa Frame than the Hugo. Would be weird to compare the Hugo to the Rodi Frame.
NBMech

MayflyOfSpace wrote: Also, given that this image on HLJ of the Vidar's frame shows that it has a unique head, similar to the Kimaris Trooper, I'd say the evidence is piling up that this is definitely a remodeled Kimaris.
Spoiler
Just checked out both frame heads of said MS and they are extremely similar. 99% confirmed tbh haha
yazi88

Just saw the OP again, I noticed the Gehreil, the MS that predated the Graze, is in the background with the Landman Rodi's fighting... I'm guessing Tekkadan hired some mercenaries to help. Although its pretty fuzzy to see.
AGF-Antoine

yazi88 wrote:Just saw the OP again, I noticed the Gehreil, the MS that predated the Graze, is in the background with the Landman Rodi's fighting... I'm guessing Tekkadan hired some mercenaries to help. Although its pretty fuzzy to see.
Damn, great spotting there, completely missed it beforehand.

Maybe Tekkadan bought them to supplement the Landman Rodi's.

Other option is the Geirail's being the mainstay MS of the Arbrau army.
Since I think they did mention somewhere in season 1 that Arbrau had outdated MS of their own.

AGF-Antoine
yazi88

This weeks episode was very action packed and showed off new weapons.

Barbatos Lupus has a claw like anchor shot on the back which helps defend against enemies behind it, unusual spot for a weapon like that, but just as brutal as the other weapons. The handguns seem to be pretty high caliber compared to the forearm cannons on forms 5 and 6 given that they are listed as 200mm.

Although I'm conflicted on the Gusion Rebake's Full City melee shield weapon which is a vicegrip that also highly resembles..... shear cutters... like its about to do some gardening work.... very strange... I hope there is a another hand held weapon for the Full City, like a axe or swords.
Wingnut

yazi88 wrote:Although I'm conflicted on the Gusion Rebake's Full City melee shield weapon which is a vicegrip that also highly resembles..... shear cutters... like its about to do some gardening work.... very strange... I hope there is a another hand held weapon for the Full City, like a axe or swords.
Wouldn't be the first time for a weapon like that out of Gundam. Build Fighters had Aila using something similar during the random weapon round of the tournament and used its scissor form to cut a GOOhN in half.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
yazi88

Wingnut wrote: Wouldn't be the first time for a weapon like that out of Gundam. Build Fighters had Aila using something similar during the random weapon round of the tournament and used its scissor form to cut a GOOhN in half.
Yeah, but that was unique to Build Fighters because of the situation was made on purpose with the gag weapons, but this weapon for the Full City... kind of impractical if both hands are needed and rather silly looking... But then again given that the Full City has 2 extra arms I guess it works out...
E08

yazi88 wrote:Barbatos Lupus has a claw like anchor shot on the back which helps defend against enemies behind it, unusual spot for a weapon like that, but just as brutal as the other weapons.
If i'm not mistaken, the claw is a part of the Barbatos Lupus' backpack arms (the movable weapon racks on the back). According to the lineart, the original Barbatos also had something similar
Amion

I'm very glad I'm not alone in finding the Hedge Clippers impractical. Then again, we have those weirdly shaped sloped bar weapon things that don't resemble anything remotely like a traditional weapon. Still, exactly who's going to let Akahiro clip them when its so easy to read his next move?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Arsarcana

Well, maybe if it ever encountered the Rafflesia...