The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
battletech

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

Arsarcana wrote:My thinking is that there's only a single hilt and the missile-looking things are stored blades that it pulls out as-needed. Either the blade is fragile or it's some sort of limited-use weapon and needs backups for long battles, or both. Say, a heat sword that can only operate for so long before its deformed by use.

One other possibility I can think of but I admit it's weak. Assuming that the 'no beam weapons' thing only applied to the first season, this could be an example of Calamity War beam saber technology and each of those sections on the hip racks represents a one-use charger for the blade. Seems unlikely but at least vaguely possible.
That's an interesting idea and a great way to show early beam use. I just don't see beam weapons happening in IBO. No beam weapons is one of this Gundam series defining characteristics. To keep the no beam weapon thing going. Instead of those being used to power a beam they are used to power electricity through a melee weapon. Kind of like the Gouf's heat rod or the Hambrabi's sea serpents.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
amagee2100

I've always been a fan of the big, lumbering Gundams with guns slung all around and this new "Gundam C" with the cannons looks like it will fit the bill quite nicely. I checked it against the other Gundams from the series rather carefully and barring the chunky Gusion, this Gundam looks to be packing the heaviest armor and guns I've seen on any P.D. mobile suit. I'm immensely looking forward to it.
SonicSP

While not really a beam weapon, how about some sort of large graviton bomb? Ahab Particles are known to be able to generate artificial gravity and reduce G-Forces, what if that feature was weaponized somehow?

I mean I don't know the practicality of making something like that over standard explosives but if they can somehow make it into a WMD especially back in the more advanced Calamity War days, would be pretty cool.

Maybe it would be awesome if something like this was a WMD back in the Calamity War days, since we saw really huge destruction in places like the Moon and most descriptions describing the war as the worst conflict in human history yet there doesn't seem to be much if any radiation a damage. Something like this might be able to be pretty closely link to Ahab Reactors that exist in this universe while not being a beam weapon in the narrow sense while showing a sense of destruction that like permeated.
Shinji_Shinigami

Well if they would use the gravity manipulation from the Ahab reactors, i bet they could build devastating railguns, use it as ashield against ballistic incomming, pull enemies in and even easier filght under athmosphere. That is if it can negate gravity, and not only generate it.
RyuseiDateSRX

That would be really cool. Ahab Reactor powered weapons that can shoot gravity blasts at enemies and stuff. Like the gravity weapons like G-Impact Cannon that Huckebein Mk II uses in SRW.
Amion

There has to be something nasty about the ancient Gundams for them to be supposedly responsible for all the destruction. That's just rumor and heresay of course. It's still great imagination fuel, though.

If they can warp gravity then the possibilities are almost limitless. Why stop with easier flight? They could probably warp or have fold drives at this point.

And if they're able to generate artificial gravity, why not make smaller ballistic projectiles heavier by several orders of magnitude? There's no need for beam weapons and high heat if you can lob a single bullet with the weight of a battleship, or heck, even a mountain, behind it!

Would also explain the chipped nature of the moon, while a gravity bomb of some sort might explain the perfectly circular hole in eastern Australia, poor continent.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
yazi88

I think its the raw power of the Gundams and in a large force is what made them powerful and very feared. Plus the AV system from the pilot made it a lot more dangerous too.

Plus... there were over 70 units running around in the War... at which there are only 26 operational ones left.
Amion

No 72 Gundams, with nothing but their basic weapons thus far shown, was going to make the Moon look like it does. There had to be something else. We've already gotten some teasers that the Kimaris had some extra goodies it never displayed...
yazi88

But what's to say that something wasn't smashed on the Moon? Gundam has a reputation of throwing large objects from space into either Earth or the Moon...
battletech

Maybe 36 of the Gundams swung a giant mace at the other 36 but missed and hit the moon. :lol:
Last edited by battletech on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Kuruni

No. One of the Gundam was developed for unarmed combat, they make it do 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10 km run daily.

During its test, the thing punch from Earth and the pressure crack the moon (as well as crushing Astaroth).
My girlfriend was a loli.
kibasy

Kuruni wrote:No. One of the Gundam was developed for unarmed combat, they make it do 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10 km run daily.

During its test, the thing punch from Earth and the pressure crack the moon (as well as crushing Astaroth).

Yup, here's one of the pic taken back then,
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pNi5yI5XVYY/V ... 9578-6.jpg
BrentD15

kibasy wrote:
Kuruni wrote:No. One of the Gundam was developed for unarmed combat, they make it do 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10 km run daily.

Yup, here's one of the pic taken back then,
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pNi5yI5XVYY/V ... 9578-6.jpg
Saitama Gundam! :D
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deathzealot

/blink/ Okay.

Anyhow, I have a question. I don't know if anyone has asked it before but I haven't seen anyone asking it before. Basically, the mentioned 26 Gundams that remain active does that mean units like the Kimaris that was stored somewhere? What about the Barbatos and the Gusion which where found by certain groups and later used.
Arsarcana

The number explicitly includes all the Gundams we've seen including Barbatos and Gusion as it's been used in their kit descriptions. Possibly there are records from the Calamity War and immediate aftermath indicating that the other 46 were confirmed destroyed and the 26 number includes 'known to survive' machines like the Kimaris and Astaroth as well as 'fate unknown' machines like Barbatos and Gusion that wer discovered relatively recently but I don't think we know for sure where it comes from.
SonicSP

Deathzealot wrote:/blink/ Okay.

Anyhow, I have a question. I don't know if anyone has asked it before but I haven't seen anyone asking it before. Basically, the mentioned 26 Gundams that remain active does that mean units like the Kimaris that was stored somewhere? What about the Barbatos and the Gusion which where found by certain groups and later used.
I think it's 26 units confirmed to still be in existence or something, so that would count all Gundams that are used by all known organizations. Barbatos and Gusion should enter the "known and confirmed" section by now and be part of that 26.
Amion wrote:There has to be something nasty about the ancient Gundams for them to be supposedly responsible for all the destruction. That's just rumor and heresay of course. It's still great imagination fuel, though.

If they can warp gravity then the possibilities are almost limitless. Why stop with easier flight? They could probably warp or have fold drives at this point.

And if they're able to generate artificial gravity, why not make smaller ballistic projectiles heavier by several orders of magnitude? There's no need for beam weapons and high heat if you can lob a single bullet with the weight of a battleship, or heck, even a mountain, behind it!

Would also explain the chipped nature of the moon, while a gravity bomb of some sort might explain the perfectly circular hole in eastern Australia, poor continent.
They were stated to be responsible and celebrated for ending the war but I always thought it was implied that the actual total war is what was destructive. Besides, since the war mostly took place on Earth Sphere, I imagine the Earth people will not be too keen on celebrating them if they were the direct cause of most of the destruction, win or no win.

It's always possible that the Gundams were more super powerful in the past but personally I find it unlikely at this point from what I've seen so far. There was a profile in the GMG Spring that talks about Barbatos' 4th Form. It says that the form restores most of Barbatos' battle capacity but it is still not back to 100% or something of the like. If it's generally representative of the Gundams, then it's unlikely they were that powerful. The fact that Kimaris has a specialized melee equipment set designed to break other Nanolaminate Armor of other mobile weapons also imply this to an extent.

It's possible that they are stronger than they were now but I would assume that it's not to god-tier levels. If that was the case, Gjallahorn would likely be much more worried about encountering one that was out of their control - especially if it somehow stayed intact and retained its full powers. As it is presently, they are generally seen as powerful symbols as opposed to super powerful machines, much like on what McGillis line about important things in history sometimes revolving around them.

My personal theory is more that the Gundams were just really good mobile weapons that were used more for things like really important base raids. To use other fictional examples, like how X-Wings took out the Death Star in Star Wars or how Spartans/Master Chief from Halo can take out whatever threat in a universe of many strong superweapons/artifacts even though they are just human-sized soldiers. While powerful in their own categories, they themselves may not be the most raw items of pure aggregate destruction but in the right place and used in the right manner they can bring vital strategic victories.

This way, the Gundams themselves may not necessarily be the most powerful raw stuff around during the Calamity War, which likely fell to some WMD super lasers or bombs, but perhaps they started and executed strategic missions that could beat other super weapons or brought down the commanding force of the enemy or other important strategic things. I can certainly imagine them to act as some sort of small elite strike force of sorts.

Personally I really would like to see more specifics of the Calamity War in Season 2 especially moreso on what the Gundams did in the war. Who knows maybe someone got cryogenically frozen or something....
Last edited by SonicSP on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.
SonicSP

Accidental.
Amion

The reason why I took it that the Gundams or mobile suits were responsible in general is that off quote from the old mechanic stating that it was the huge fights they got into that nearly destroyed the Earth.

That, and these things have gravity generators. That makes them ALL potential WMDs, as far as I care. Gravity is fundamentally one of the most inexorable forces of nature in the universe. Just look at the debris field between Mars and Earth. That was the result of Ahab reactors going off, most likely, or at least the aftermath of such a battle.

Also, no matter how many rocks get thrown at the Moon, the net result is that it wouldn't end up looking chipped, since that would just be adding mass to it. Then again, I confess that's only my personal interpretation. The lumps could be very much added stuff.

In reality, I bet the reason the Moon looks like it does is because of over-mining. S2 is called "Lunar Steel", right? Chances are Ahabs require good ol Luna Titanium (Gundarium/Gundanium) to function. Thus, Lunar strip-mining and battles over said facilities.

But I still credit exploding or self-destructing Ahabs as having the power to create some very frightening effects. :twisted:
RyuseiDateSRX

ASW-G-63 Gundam Andras

http://i.imgur.com/dA2oYMS.jpg

Not sure if this is side story or anime season 2, but this looks really cool and probably one of my favourite IBO designs. I love the black and blue colour scheme, which is one of my favourite colour schemes. Also that P.A.D. emblem or whatever it is on the shoulder looks cool and makes me think of a police emblem or something. Actually I sorta get a police vibe from this, with that colour scheme and badge. That weapon also looks cool.

What's interesting is that it has a similar blue gem thing at its v-fin like Barbatos Lupus. I wonder if it's related.

I really hope this is for season 2. Translations would be nice too.

EDIT: Turns out this is most likely fake.
Last edited by RyuseiDateSRX on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuruni

Cool, they actually give it an owl-like mask.

Now if you've some interest in Goetia, Andra is THE most dangerous out of 72 demons.
My girlfriend was a loli.