The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
RyuseiDateSRX

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

Does anyone else think that Graze Ein might be the first ever Graze? Maybe it's the prototype and the only one installed with the AV System and probably more powerful than the other Grazes. It'll make sense for it to be the most powerful Graze. Also its name will be fitting if it's the first ever Graze.
nacho-wan

I don't know; McGillis sais that Gjallarhorn continued its research into man-machine interfaces even after the Calamity War. I think that Graze Eins is actually the most modern Graze. Probably the scientist involved were impatiently waiting for someone like Eins to power-up this new monster of metal -at least Gjallarhorn has something that might give Mika a run for his money
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Kuruni

nacho-wan wrote:I don't know; McGillis sais that Gjallarhorn continued its research into man-machine interfaces even after the Calamity War.
He said they comtinued...until recently. Although "recent" in timeframe of 300 years may mean decades or just few years.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Deathzealot

You know I look at the Graze Ein and how Ein is crafted into the machine interface, and I think it is like the Dreadnaught from Warhammer 40K.
balofo

1/100 Barbatos 6th Form preliminary manual new info:
-Waist booster: adjusted output for ground, reduced fuel consumption
-Mace: Maruba had considered using the Barbatos in battle so he had some equipment lying around, the Mace was one of them. Needle ejection mechanism at the tip, lost during the Earth trip
-Autocannon: ammo is limited so it's unfit for shooting battles but it shows its usefulness mixed in close combat

1/100 Kimaris:
-Kimaris Use High Mobility Booster: turning ability is reduced but the leg boosters compensate, if the pilot is good he can have even more the turning ability than the average MS during high mobility state.

Next week is the Hi-Resolution Barbatos
Calubin_175

Looks like 1/100 6th form doesn't come with regular feet. But buying both 4th and 6th form does not mean you could recreate one of each of 5th(space) and 6th since there is only one pair of the blue arms.
E08

Actually the 1/100 6th form does have all the regular feet parts. They are just crossed out on the runners list and omitted in the assemble steps.

I am not sure if this has being stated before, but the 1/100 6th form manual also mention that the current technology is unable to develop the Gundam Frame. Also, even in the Calamity War era, the twin Ahab Reactor frame is extremely difficult to produce.
Calubin_175

You're right, the 1/100 6th form kit does include both the 4th form feet+frame and forearm armor, but just crossed out. Kind of reminds me of the Rozen Zulu crippled version which still includes the regular arm.

EDIT: It can't, it is missing the blue elbows of the 4th form and the polycaps for the normal feet.
E08

i think the kit does have the polycaps for the normal feet, just that it is already used by the 5th/6th form feet. Both kits do use the same polycap runner after all.

I wonder if the smoothbore gun is also one of the equipment that Maruba has kept for the Barbatos.
SonicSP

E08 wrote:Actually the 1/100 6th form does have all the regular feet parts. They are just crossed out on the runners list and omitted in the assemble steps.

I am not sure if this has being stated before, but the 1/100 6th form manual also mention that the current technology is unable to develop the Gundam Frame. Also, even in the Calamity War era, the twin Ahab Reactor frame is extremely difficult to produce.
I find that to be strange at first especially as the Gundams aren't that much stronger than a normal Ahab Reactor suit. But I guess maybe that's because it is really an inefficient design that's relies on a lot of advanced stuff to make but not that much increase in battlefield performance relative to the extra difficulty/cost of making it.

It does seem to fit the principal that's been repeated in the sources a few times though, which was that only 72 were made because it's hard to the reactors working in parallel, in the sense that not many were made because of some sort of manufacturing or logistical difficulty. This would be an added reason on a similar principal on why not many were made; hard to keep parrallel and hard to produce.

One of the plus points mentioned about the Graze in their manuals are their supposed functionality and simplicity. It's even been contrasted with the Gundams about that aspect. Maybe that's what makes it a great design, it doesn't require as advanced technology to make but can give a quite reasonable battlefield performance without much manufacturing difficulties in addition to real ease in maintanence. Maybe those end sentences that was sort of cheerleading the Graze in the manuals were not cheap praise afterall.
balofo

Graze Ein has shoulder hidden arms carrying guns: https://i.imgur.com/oDURaJCg.jpg
Arsarcana

I was wondering about those. You could see the gun parts in previous pictures of the kit but it wasn't obvious where they went on the actual suit since they were obviously something separate from the pilebankers in the forearms.
balofo

Graze Ein releases on 4/7, almost 2 weeks after the anime ends
Calubin_175

Just learnt that Kimaris Trooper could function in zero gravity as well, where the it could move in high speeds with good thrust vectoring.
iguanaman8989

In response to what makes a Gundam so special:

Didn't McGillis say something about how they were the first units to make use of the Alaya-Vijnana System?
The show has demonstrated the physical capabilities of the few Gundam units to be a bit better than everything else, but most everyone reacts more to the capabilities granted by the A-V system.
This also fits with his talk of how early Gjallarhorn turned people against any sort of cyborg modification, probably to prevent exactly what's happening now: A relatively small force of A-V equipped suits has shown itself incredibly capable of dealing with everything thrown at them thus far.

I would hazard a guess that during the Calamity War it wasn't necessarily the physical capabilities that made the Gundams something to be feared so much as what the pilots could do with them.
Calubin_175

So these Grazes from episode 16 are Dort colony garrison colours, not Earth Orbital Fleet like the Graze Ritters?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-k2XopM8ghvc/V ... led-78.jpg
E08

Those Grazes seem to be from the Arianrhod fleet, some are seen next to the fleet when it was introduced earlier in the ep.
balofo

Ep 24:
-Graze Ein's claw feet double as drills for kick attacks(seems to have a special effect). Forearm weapons confirmed to be pile bunkers, hidden shoulder guns also confirmed.
-Tekkadan MW appeared with new guns being used by Eugene's group
SonicSP

iguanaman8989 wrote:In response to what makes a Gundam so special:

Didn't McGillis say something about how they were the first units to make use of the Alaya-Vijnana System?
The show has demonstrated the physical capabilities of the few Gundam units to be a bit better than everything else, but most everyone reacts more to the capabilities granted by the A-V system.
This also fits with his talk of how early Gjallarhorn turned people against any sort of cyborg modification, probably to prevent exactly what's happening now: A relatively small force of A-V equipped suits has shown itself incredibly capable of dealing with everything thrown at them thus far.

I would hazard a guess that during the Calamity War it wasn't necessarily the physical capabilities that made the Gundams something to be feared so much as what the pilots could do with them.
Having the first Arayahiski System would make them special as it but it does seem to make their advanced frames (and all the associated extra costs and logistical issues, which prevented more of them from being made) kinda wasteful in a way since Arayashiki isn't advanced enough that current technology levels cannot make them.

Which is probabaly apt, since in the end the Grimgerde's sinplified energy efficient philosophy won out.
E08

The Graze Ein's pile bunkers appear to be a one time use weapon. The right forearm pile bunker used on Ryusei-Go is missing when the Graze Ein appears before Kudelia.