The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

Added a lot of Macross Delta photos to this album, including several close shots of the mecha in the episode.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Some great shots! Thanks for collecting these!
Arbiter GUNDAM

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

I REALLY want that booklet!
ChaoticSheep1

Well can't say I like any of the new mecha for Delta but atleast Macross is getting another show. I hope it does well.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, well, it seems the VF-31 was hiding a few secrets after all. :3

And here are some more shots of the Drakens and their Ghosts

These Ghosts have obviously had a design change since the QF-4000/AIF-9s that were being used in Frontier.

--Freyja Wion
Seto Kaiba

... but we've known about the gun pod since Figure King #215 came out back in January.

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:These Ghosts have obviously had a design change since the QF-4000/AIF-9s that were being used in Frontier.
Considering the Sv-262 seems to be inspired fairly heavily by General Galaxy's designs... it's quite possible these are actually relatives of the QF-5100 Goblin II drone used by the VF-27.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MrMarch

Liking that new gun pod design ever more and more. It's so very different from anything else in the series to date. It very much looks like a beam weapon, which makes sense since the swiveled arm guns are projectile weapons already.
Arbiter GUNDAM

http://macross.jp/delta/mechanic/

Here you can see some good profiles of the Siegfrieds used by Delta Squad. I find it interesting that Chuck's VF-31E is the only one that has a different Container Weapon System so far.

It's also nice to see that the VF-31A variant is also official

You can also get some good detail on the fighter modes of the Drakens and their Lildraken drones. (the actual name of the Saab Draken prototype)

I've also got plenty of screenshots here of the new VF-1EX variants :)

--Freyja Wion
Seto Kaiba

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:http://macross.jp/delta/mechanic/

Here you can see some good profiles of the Siegfrieds used by Delta Squad. I find it interesting that Chuck's VF-31E is the only one that has a different Container Weapon System so far.
Looks like that will be changing in Ep6... the preview at the end of Ep5 shows Messer's VF-31F in space with FAST packs and what looks like some kind of elaborate sound booster mounted to its container system arm.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Arbiter GUNDAM

And those booster packs seem to have a resemblance to the VF-11 Super Packs.

--Freyja Wion
pirx

I really like Draken design and of course LilDrakens. Just wondering are they on their own (+/- Judas system?) or pilot controls their actions/targets to some extent?
They seem to also act as fast packs/boosters when docked with Draken.
Dark Duel

I would guess, given how disastrous previous experiment(s) with fully-autonomous AI ended up being, that the drones used by the Drakens are only semi-autonomous at best, and primarily controlled from the Draken itself by the pilot - similar to later-generation Ghost UAVs, such as Luca and his Gospel Ghosts in Frontier.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Areku

Dark Duel wrote:I would guess, given how disastrous previous experiment(s) with fully-autonomous AI ended up being, that the drones used by the Drakens are only semi-autonomous at best, and primarily controlled from the Draken itself by the pilot - similar to later-generation Ghost UAVs, such as Luca and his Gospel Ghosts in Frontier.
Well, he did end up unleashing them in the end, and it turned out pretty well, so there's at least some precedent of autonomous drones performing as desired.
Seto Kaiba

Dark Duel wrote:I would guess, given how disastrous previous experiment(s) with fully-autonomous AI ended up being, that the drones used by the Drakens are only semi-autonomous at best, and primarily controlled from the Draken itself by the pilot - similar to later-generation Ghost UAVs, such as Luca and his Gospel Ghosts in Frontier.
Note... "autonomous" and "unpredictable" are not the same thing.

Macross Chronicle does note that the AIF-7 and AIF-9 series Ghosts possess autonomous AI control, and are fully capable of operating independently of a human controller. Normal operation usually entails the "surface" station controlling them only identifying the area to patrol and giving authorization to commence an attack. Luca's three AIF-7's are described as possessing a similar autonomous integrated air combat program to that used on the Ghost X-9.

Unpredictable (non-procedural) AI is what's downright illegal... because the bio-neural circuitry an unpredictable AI requires to achieve its lifelike combat reactions has a nasty tendency to develop self-preservation tendencies.

I would assume the Lilldraken drones used by the Aerial Knights' Sv-262 Draken III's are likely an autonomous, procedural AI like modern Ghosts.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

I like that they also function as FAST packs when docked with Draken III, Windermerans are more advanced than most of NUNS Spacy it seems. I did not noticed that VF-31 FAST packs can detach and fly arround attacking targets.
I wonder - does lilDrakens also posess some kind of swarm logic - meaning can they gang up on one target? Aerial Knights are a team, so it would be logical for drones to recognize each other and work together if situation requires it.
azrael

pirx wrote:I like that they also function as FAST packs when docked with Draken III, Windermerans are more advanced than most of NUNS Spacy it seems. I did not noticed that VF-31 FAST packs can detach and fly arround attacking targets.
I wonder - does lilDrakens also posess some kind of swarm logic - meaning can they gang up on one target? Aerial Knights are a team, so it would be logical for drones to recognize each other and work together if situation requires it.
Unfortunately, the precedent for using drones as Super parts was established in the Frontier movies with the VF-27's Goblin UAV. So the Lil Drakens, while innovative, are not new.

The VF-31 Super parts are not drones.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote:I like that they also function as FAST packs when docked with Draken III, Windermerans are more advanced than most of NUNS Spacy it seems.
Actually, the idea of docking a drone to a fighter to use it as a booster is a really REALLY old one in the Macross universe... almost sixty years old by the time the Aerial Knights begin their open offensive against the New UN Government.

The oldest known example of a Ghost Booster was employed by the UN Spacy near the end of the UN Wars in 2008, as part of Operation Iconoclasm.

It's not a commonly-used approach by any means, but the Macross Galaxy fleet also used docked drones in the Super Pack of their VF-27 Lucifer. The QF-5100 Goblin II drone that was used as the booster pack could detach and operate independently of the main fighter.

On balance, the technology of the Windermereans doesn't seem to be any more advanced than the New UN Government's... though it's not clear how much of the Draken III's performance is actually its technology and how much is the naturally extreme abilities of the Windermerean pilots.

pirx wrote:I wonder - does lilDrakens also posess some kind of swarm logic - meaning can they gang up on one target? Aerial Knights are a team, so it would be logical for drones to recognize each other and work together if situation requires it.
I would assume that the Lilldraken drones operate similarly to the AIF-7 and AIF-9 Ghosts, in that target priorities and so on have to be assigned beforehand and then they simply take the actions that their program dictates give them the best chance of success.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Seto Kaiba wrote: It's not a commonly-used approach by any means, but the Macross Galaxy fleet also used docked drones in the Super Pack of their VF-27 Lucifer.
In movie? I must've missed that somehow.
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote: It's not a commonly-used approach by any means, but the Macross Galaxy fleet also used docked drones in the Super Pack of their VF-27 Lucifer.
In movie? I must've missed that somehow.
Yeah, it's in the Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa movie. Brera has his VF-27's Super Pack equipped for the final dogfight.

VF-27y Super Lucifer
The Macross Mecha Manual