The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
yazi88

Re: The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that noticed or that this might be a coincidence... but aren't the male valkyries mecha Draken, don't they use the same model number as the SV-51 from Macross Zero? Cause the designs look a bit similar... I think?
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm the only one that noticed or that this might be a coincidence... but aren't the male valkyries mecha Draken, don't they use the same model number as the SV-51 from Macross Zero?
Well, not quite... the Draken III doesn't use the same model number as Macross Zero's enemy fighter, but the format of the mission code in its designation makes it very likely that it's a new fighter from the same manufacturer.

In Macross Zero, the different (Sv) format designation for the enemy fighter denoted that it was a non-UN variable fighter designed and built (in part) by Russia's Sukhoi Design Bureau. It's based on Sukhoi's real-world designations (Su-#), just with the "u" swapped for a "v" to denote a variable fighter. The Sv-51 was a Sukhoi-led joint effort with Germany's Dornier and Israel's IAI, but the Sv-262 Draken III is the first indication we've had that any portion of Sukhoi survived the end of the First Space War.

yazi88 wrote:Cause the designs look a bit similar... I think?
Can't say I see it myself.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Arbiter GUNDAM

Or they're just using the SV designator because they don't want to be associated with the Unified Forces. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Looking good. I really like the design.
Zeonista

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Or they're just using the SV designator because they don't want to be associated with the Unified Forces. :)
Darn those independent contractors out to make a buck for themselves! :D

The VF-31's gerwalk mode looks good and simple, closer to VF-1 than some of the other VF gerwalk modes.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Areku

Anyone else notice that both the VF-31s and SV-262s seem to have very mobile wingtips in Fighter mode? The SV-262's wingtips appear to rotate up 90 degrees to facilitate external engines, at which point they can rotate 360 degrees (perpendicular to the previous 90 degrees) to vector said external engines as needed. The VF-31's wingtips can rotate downward as far as 150-160 degrees, forming a very acute angle with the rest of the wing to achieve greater speed.

Just something I found interesting.
Seto Kaiba

Areku wrote:Anyone else notice that both the VF-31s and SV-262s seem to have very mobile wingtips in Fighter mode?
That's actually not unprecedented... or even all that unusual, considering their generation.

The VF-31's variable-cant wing is a well-established technology by 2067, having previously been a design feature on the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II (Macross Plus, Macross 7) and the VF-19ACTIVE technology demonstrator (Macross the Ride), as well as appearing on the Sv-51's design (Macross Zero).

The Sv-262's wingtips are pretty obviously drawn from the VF-25/TW1 and YF-29 family of fighter designs. Considering that it seems to be using either a full-virtual canopy or BDI and that they're employing Ghost Booster-style FAST packs in the same manner as the VF-27γSP leads me to think the Sv-262 may have some connection to General Galaxy having illicitly acquired the YF-29 specs (circa 2058).
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

the Delta captain put his VF's hands together when firing the built in gunpods. i don't suppose it has a mode similar to Bayformer Megs during the 2007 movie? also, anyone else thinking that they aren't re loadable? that'd be bad especially inregards to gunning down missiles.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote:the Delta captain put his VF's hands together when firing the built in gunpods. i don't suppose it has a mode similar to Bayformer Megs during the 2007 movie? also, anyone else thinking that they aren't re loadable? that'd be bad especially inregards to gunning down missiles.
We don't have any hard stats for the VF-31 yet, that I'm aware of... but considering the location of those guns, I'd assume they're probably energy weapons.

(Lasers are kind of on the way out, so I'd guess either a particle beam cannon or a compact rapid-fire dimension weapon like the ones used on the YF-21/VF-22.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Arbiter GUNDAM

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

legs look kinda off for me. and it has less "OOHMP" without a handheld gun.(or less ridiculous if you've never been into the GERWALK's general designs.)

and i just realized the visors are PINK! darker shade but pink nonetheless. how many mechas do you know that have visors in that color? :twisted:

come on staff, show us the new Macross class ship already! XD
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote:
legs look kinda off for me. and it has less "OOHMP" without a handheld gun.(or less ridiculous if you've never been into the GERWALK's general designs.)
*shrug* Well, the gun is most definitely there... it's just not held in the hand in the art.

IMO this is actually an amusing riff on the variations of the Ordinance Container system that was described/shown in Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy. This configuration would seem to be the VF-31's default configuration of the ordinance container, while others may use something like the YF-30's missile unit or the rotary radome unit that's deployed on Chuck and Reina's VF-31. What I'm left wondering is if a VF-31 that is mounting a different mission unit from the standard model can carry its heavy quantum beam gun pod ventrally like a traditional Valkyrie, or if they are just SOL and have to depend on the limited ammo of the forearm guns.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MrMarch

I like how much cleaner the design of the VF-31 is compared to the VF-25 series. The two lines share many similar design motifs, but I think the VF-31 looks simpler and less busy.

Really eager to know more about that gun pod :)
Arbiter GUNDAM

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

looks more natural in 2d IMO. the basic shape kinda resembles the original VF-1. only more roundish.
that head turret looks more like a beam saber. XD

@Seto Kaiba: What's SOL?
Deathzealot

Shit out of Luck I believe?
Arbiter GUNDAM

We also have the variant types of the main cast.

Delta-05 (Hayate) - VF-31J
Delta-01 (Arad) - VF-31S
Delta-02 Messer) - VF-31F
Delta-03 (Chuck) - VF-31E
Delta-04 (Mirage) - VF-31C

I find it very interesting that this series is only the second(?) series where the main character Valkyrie DOESN'T have two head lasers.

tochiro got some pics of VF-31 models. :)

--Freyja Wion
MrMarch

Want the mini-book so bad right now ;)
Seto Kaiba

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:We also have the variant types of the main cast.

Delta-05 (Hayate) - VF-31J
Delta-01 (Arad) - VF-31S
Delta-02 Messer) - VF-31F
Delta-03 (Chuck) - VF-31E
Delta-04 (Mirage) - VF-31C
Eh... I have to admit that I'm not sure if I like this or not. It certainly explains how each member of Delta Platoon has a different monitor turret on his (or her) Valkyrie. On the other hand, what's the bloody point of having THAT many variants when there likely isn't any functional difference in their capabilities or any apparently difference in operational role?

They did something similar with SMS's Skull Platoon in Macross Frontier, but each one of the craft issued to Skull Platoon had a different operational role. Ozma's VF-25S was the unit with the command and control functions, Luca's RVF-25 was for AEW/ELINT and drone control, Alto's VF-25F was for recon-in-force, and Michel's VF-25G was the designated marksman unit.

Fourth, I think... unless you count the other canon material (video games, light novels, etc.), then it's more like the eighth.

Let's see...
  • Hibiki's VC-079 in Macross II didn't even have a head (no battroid mode), so that's 0.
  • Isamu's YF-19 and Guld's YF-21 both had one head-mounted beam gun in Macross Plus.
  • Shin's VF-0D and VF-0A in Macross Zero had one laser.

MrMarch wrote:Want the mini-book so bad right now ;)
Already looking into it, old chap.
The Macross Mecha Manual