How is "Black History" defined?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mimeblade

How is "Black History" defined?

Ever since I saw this video I've been rather confused.

How did Mask come across a seeming "relic" like that?

Is this just a 'what if' story? Or if it's truly based in Reconguista, is this something that confirms G-Reco is part of UC Timeline?

And, assuming we were to see more stuff of this nature... how are we classifying it?
Arsarcana

Re: How is "Black History" defined?

I have no idea what in twenty minutes of video you're asking us to look at. Because of that, I have no idea what your first and last questions are supposed to be refering to.

Also, we don't need external sources to tell us that G-Reco is part of the UC timeline (though Tomino saying that it is kind of puts it beyond argument) since the series itself explicitly stated that it took place after the end of the Universal Century and provided copious references to that effect.
Mimeblade

I'm sorry, apparently the Youtube link I tried to link you to wasn't working.

I was referring to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gundam/comment ... y_is_mask/

I googled the video this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mScqgquCsg
Mimeblade

To rephrase my question: is this short really part of G-Reco's story? Is it legit? And if so, is there anything that ties G-Reco to Turn A directly or something to that effect?

I wanted clarification because it just seems like G-Reco is a far cry away from UC during the "Unicorn Arc", so the idea that a Black Phenix still exists and in such good condition is rather miraculous considering.
MythSearcher

Mimeblade wrote:Ever since I saw this video I've been rather confused.

How did Mask come across a seeming "relic" like that?

Is this just a 'what if' story? Or if it's truly based in Reconguista, is this something that confirms G-Reco is part of UC Timeline?

And, assuming we were to see more stuff of this nature... how are we classifying it?
Before G-Reco, all Gundam(with maybe the exception of Gundam Build Fighters) are under Turn A's(anime) Black History, no exceptions.
(Turn X MG manual quote, listed all Gundam series showed before Turn A and everything showed after it up to AGE and included "All Gundam that will be announced in the future")

Tomino said in one of his recent interviews, however, that G-Reco comes AFTER Turn A, and said that will make more sense, and confirmed that G-Lucifer uses Moon Light Butterfly. How official his claims are is still yet to be published by Bandai. Speculation of Iron Blood also being after Turn A also exists.
monster

MythSearcher wrote:Tomino said in one of his recent interviews, however, that G-Reco comes AFTER Turn A
As in chronologically? As in the events in RC happened sometime after the events in CC? If so, this concept now makes even less sense.

Was that interview confirmed or just a rumor?
Mimeblade

What confuses me more so is in what context this short was created?

Someone mentioned the Rose of Hermes blueprints being something left over from Anaheim Electronics "La Vie En Rose" projects, but it still doesn't exactly explain how an RX-0 could exist "after" Turn A of all things.

And the fact G-Self could even beat the Phenix is also mind boggling, unless it was just a matter of Mask not knowing how to use Psychoframe tech? But that doesn't make sense either since utilizing the Psychoframe should've been all there in the manual if it was part of Rose of Hermes Blueprints (or at least I think so).
MythSearcher

monster wrote:
MythSearcher wrote:Tomino said in one of his recent interviews, however, that G-Reco comes AFTER Turn A
As in chronologically? As in the events in RC happened sometime after the events in CC? If so, this concept now makes even less sense.

Was that interview confirmed or just a rumor?
It is confirmed, 27 August, "G-Reco research group at night".(夜のGレコ研究会)
http://live.b-ch.com/g-reco
Whether it will be endorsed officially is another matter.

Transcript:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/inuyo7/archives/46070517.html
AmuroNT1

I think you're putting a bit too much thought into a silly CG short. The producers probably didn't give a crap about continuity and fitting things into a proper timeline; they just wanted something that represented the "old" Gundam (Universal Century) fighting something from the newest show. The reason they used the Phenix is because they already had the CG model, and they're gonna use it as much as they can, dammit.

It'd be like trying to put that crazy Marvel Comics/Attack on Titan crossover into the continuities of either universe; it was never meant to be anything but a crossover between two hot properties, and so that's all it is.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
MythSearcher

Mimeblade wrote: And the fact G-Self could even beat the Phenix is also mind boggling, unless it was just a matter of Mask not knowing how to use Psychoframe tech? But that doesn't make sense either since utilizing the Psychoframe should've been all there in the manual if it was part of Rose of Hermes Blueprints (or at least I think so).
Pretty much said in the clip, he thought the I-Field can block the incoming beam, but immediately figured the I-Field was not activated, and complained what was the problem of the MS. He somehow managed to activate the NT-D mode, but obviously he had little knowledge in what the Phenix is used for, he probably had a copy of the specs, but did not know NT-D has to be activated to activate the I-Field.

Though G-Self is much much more advanced than the Phenix, so it is actually the other way around, that the Phenix even can stand against G-Self should be mind boggling.
Mimeblade

If the G-Self is so powerful I haven't seen any evidence yet to indicate it. Then again, I haven't been reading up on G-Self's specs.

I thought someone said it doesn't have a Psychoframe.
MythSearcher

Mimeblade wrote:If the G-Self is so powerful I haven't seen any evidence yet to indicate it. Then again, I haven't been reading up on G-Self's specs.

I thought someone said it doesn't have a Psychoframe.
G-Reco, even if you don't buy the after Turn A message(I don't want to)
is at least 500 years after UC, and they stopped using Nuclear Fusion and started using Photon Batteries, which is more advanced.

We are talking about the comparison of M1A2 versus horse riders...
Arsarcana

Mimeblade wrote:If the G-Self is so powerful I haven't seen any evidence yet to indicate it.
Let's see. It's got the equivalent of the Minovsky Flight system from Victory Gundam which already puts it ahead of the Unicorn series. Assault Pack's large sabers are described in a way that calls to mind V2's Wings of Light in terms of size and cutting potential. The Towasanga Shield can not only create a huge beam barrier but also draw incoming fire to itself and absorb it (ie, everything Unicorn's shield can do and more) and the Perfect Pack's shield can do even crazier things. The Tricky Pack is supposed to be able to do cool things like create the illusion of more MS to fool the enemy or take other suits over but we don't really get to see it at its full potential. And then there's the Perfect Pack... if you haven't seen evidence that the G-Self is powerful, let me remind you that it has the Photon Torpedo system (ie, an antimatter spread that can annihilate an entire MS squad on a low power setting), a tractor beam and its High Torque Mode is supposed to be a prototype for the I-Field Beam Drive that moves Turn A and Turn X. Which contradicts the later claim that G-Reco takes place after Turn A but that's neither here nor there.

Answer your question?
Mimeblade

Jeez, how come none of this info is in the Gundam Wikia?
SonicSP

Because I stopped watching G-Reco at Episode 8 and haven't had time to read up on the translated materials on the mecha thread section. We're supposed to be updating the information from manual sources and the like though but it's slow going. We barely have anything written on the G-Self forms as it is.

Usually there's other people comes in and fill information but.....apparently not in this case I guess for some reason.

I guess I should just push myself to finish the series so I can fill something basic at least but also tying to focus on G-Tekketsu right now.
Alexeon

That was an interesting short. While I don't completely buy the Turn A being the future of ALL Gundams (the timelines would not make sense for many reasons), I can understand it being the future of UC at least. With that in mind, UC era MSes in Turn A were preserved by special nanotech tarps or coatings or something. The Phenex might have been preserved in a similar manner, so that might answer the question of why and how its still around.

I don't really know when in G-Reco it could take place, though, but I haven't seen the series since it aired so I don't remember all the details.
Mimeblade

For future reference though, if we come across other stuff like this that tries to put UC and MC and AC (or whatever other timelines you have out there), in the same timeline as Turn A or G-Reco, should we consider these legit?

Or is this just something Tomino is making up as he goes along?
Alexeon

If Tomino had thought it through, he would have made the timelines fit together better. For example, the original backstory for UC is that the calendar started when we started moving into space, sometime in the 21st century. Okay, so UC takes place in the 21st/22nd century. Seed's CE takes takes place immediately after the AD calendar. If I remember correctly, George Glenn was American. Then we have 00 which takes place in the 2300s. Period. After War might make sense as an alternative to mid-UC, but by late UC, it stops fitting in so nicely. Its more like an alternate timeline (which it is, of course.)

I mean, I could go on. The timelines just don't really match up to be one long history. Personally, I like to think of CC as another alternate universe, just one in which events very similar to the events in UC plus a couple other timelines took place, but not exactly the same.

Anyway, that's just me. Details like that bother me a lot but maybe they don't bother Tomino so much, so in his mind they are one big timeline. In that case, he's just crazy.
MythSearcher

Alexeon wrote:If Tomino had thought it through, he would have made the timelines fit together better. For example, the original backstory for UC is that the calendar started when we started moving into space, sometime in the 21st century. Okay, so UC takes place in the 21st/22nd century. Seed's CE takes takes place immediately after the AD calendar. If I remember correctly, George Glenn was American. Then we have 00 which takes place in the 2300s. Period. After War might make sense as an alternative to mid-UC, but by late UC, it stops fitting in so nicely. Its more like an alternate timeline (which it is, of course.)

I mean, I could go on. The timelines just don't really match up to be one long history. Personally, I like to think of CC as another alternate universe, just one in which events very similar to the events in UC plus a couple other timelines took place, but not exactly the same.

Anyway, that's just me. Details like that bother me a lot but maybe they don't bother Tomino so much, so in his mind they are one big timeline. In that case, he's just crazy.
Because it is different from what you are thinking.
This is how the timeline works

They are not one, but multiple timelines that got absorbed into a single shell, the Correct Century, not one long history.
You have multiple parallel worlds, but all hit the dead end of CC, then they all merged to form a big giant heap.
monster

MythSearcher wrote:Because it is different from what you are thinking.
This is how the timeline works

They are not one, but multiple timelines that got absorbed into a single shell, the Correct Century, not one long history.
You have multiple parallel worlds, but all hit the dead end of CC, then they all merged to form a big giant heap.
That would seem to contradict what was said in this thread. Well, either way, it seems an unnecessary thing.

Anyway, if going by that multiple timelines image, I suppose CE and possibly all other newer timelines are not part of it.