multiple chest flyer and leg flyer for impulse but 1 core?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
MythSearcher

Re: multiple chest flyer and leg flyer for impulse but 1 cor

monster wrote: Of course, and both are answered.
Sigh, ignoring engineering and combat problems is not answering questions.
As I said, the pilot still has that choice if he needs it or the commanding officer can give the order. You're also forgetting that the pilot is a coordinator.
The pilot is not in the position to choose, since he know little of the whole picture, and if you as the commander decided to not let the pilots rest, that is you pushing the pilots' instead of them choosing.
There is no wasted space as they need to provide room for the parts. Wasted space is taking the place of a whole unit.

There is no dead weight as the combination system has a purpose.

There is always danger in going to a battle. This simply provides additional option for the pilot that, as with any other tool, he needs to use wisely.
There's definitely a lot of wasted space, you don't need to care if you got any space next to stored parts, you only need to take small parts out from a packed box and fit them on the whole MS.
top and bottom part with a core inside it is way less space than top, bottom and core all taking up spaces waiting to scramble.
Simply take out your Impusle model and take it apart into 3 separate parts, place them so that you have at least enough space for the core splendor to get through all sides, and place an MS next to it, and measure enough space around it for the core splendor to get through. The MS can be doing the same position as the Chest flyer and the Leg flyer is doing.
At the very least, you obviously wasted the space for the Core splendor since it can be completely consealed within the MS. If you add in the back pack, the Silhouette Flyer is another space wasting part. They hardly serve any purpose, the engines and thrusters on them are useless in MS form and thus all taking up space and weight.

The whole ship needed another smaller launch pad, and parts needed for it are different from the regular ones, thus also a waste of space.

An MS without the combination system will be more powerful than an MS with the combination system, given that you build them with same tech and same budget.

For all combat purposes, the combination system does not contribute to actual combat powers, thus it is dead weight in combat.
The combination system, even in your rationale, only has purposes for easier maintenance and prolonged combat periods, thus it does not help the MS to get any more powerful. The surprise factor that it can separate in mid battle goes away after the first battle you are seen on battefield doing that, so it will not be useful after that fight thus still hardly grounds of saying it gets more powerful.

There is always danger, but you are introducing more instead of reducing it. This is why the decision is inhumane and ignores the pilots well being.
War machines are designed to increase survivability of pilots, not decreasing them. Giving them more options does not directly link to giving them more chance to survive.
Coordinator or not really does not matter, because we are talking about the same faction building MSs for the same pilots.

While a sword is useful in killing an enemy, you just don't bring it with you in a modern combat gun fight as a regular weapon, a ceremonial sword serves some purpose, but definitely dead weight in combat.

Likewise, you just don't put a small tank with less armour and little fire power in a MBT combat zone, and the core splendor with the chest and leg flyers are the small tank I'm talking about here. They don't get more powerful than regular tanks even when combined, so the combination system serves no purpose in combat and only increases the danger for the pilot when s/he is using the small tank and tries to combine in mid battlefield.
monster

MythSearcher wrote:You are thinking more in lines of "How do we do with those parts" instead of "If it is rational of not".
MythSearcher wrote:An MS without the combination system will be more powerful than an MS with the combination system, given that you build them with same tech and same budget.
Ok, now I think I understand. You're saying the Impulse should just be like a standard mobile suit. All this time, I thought we were talking about why the Impulse has its own launch pad.
MythSearcher

monster wrote: Ok, now I think I understand. You're saying the Impulse should just be like a standard mobile suit. All this time, I thought we were talking about why the Impulse has its own launch pad.

One links to the other, doesn't it?

If combining isn't reasonable, then giving it a separate launch pad really isn't that useful.
The justification is just not enough to get a separate launch pad to give you a weaker MS.

It would possibly make a little more sense for the Earth Alliance side to have this kind of system, since they already have a bunch of smaller MAs, and reasonably have tons of smaller catapults ready and installed in ships, but I'd rather just design around the standard of such catapults and have MSs squat down or hold tight in a packed pose for launch...
If weight is an issue,(catapult strength standard exceeded) then maybe a full analysis of whether an overhaul of all ships' catapult or developing less powerful combining MS should be done before choosing.
But for ZAFT, which does not seem to utilize fighter jets or other smaller crafts that needed a catapult and already have a lot of full sized catapults, not so much.
monster

MythSearcher wrote:One links to the other, doesn't it?

If combining isn't reasonable, then giving it a separate launch pad really isn't that useful.
The justification is just not enough to get a separate launch pad to give you a weaker MS.

It would possibly make a little more sense for the Earth Alliance side to have this kind of system, since they already have a bunch of smaller MAs, and reasonably have tons of smaller catapults ready and installed in ships, but I'd rather just design around the standard of such catapults and have MSs squat down or hold tight in a packed pose for launch...
If that's your issue, then I don't really have any comment on it.

I thought you just wanted the Impulse to launch as one unit, not be one unit. My previous responses to you were based on that.
domino

MythSearcher wrote:
You don't need to get all shot down, the top part down, you cannot form an MS, the bottom part down, you cannot form an MS.
The core down, you lose the pilot and the MS.(with tons of top and bottom parts becoming useless)
For the top and bottom parts, replacing them is not a short period, the parts that are out are still under enemy fire, the enemy still got a whole launch sequence period to shoot at those parts, and what do you do when another part is shot down? launch yet another one? The combining sequence is also a perfect time to shoot at you, especially the core has to get between the top and bottom part, so it will be way too simple to predict where to shoot at.

If combining is easy, there's even less reason to combine outside, combine inside the launch pad.
You're ignoring that Shinn was able to quickly combine the Impulse in the MIDDLE of enemy fire not once but twice - against the Lohengrin cannon and then during the battle against Freedom

Impulse is a suit DESIGNED to combine (and apparently disassemble) very quickly. So making arguments that combining is impractical - is impractical and nonsense coming from you.

So since the core unit is a flyer, Shinn is supposed to dodge attacks and we've already seen that he can command the Minerva to send a replacement top part AND combine with it in less time than it takes even Kira to recover. If Kira couldn't recover and/or shoot down the parts and neither could the squadron defending the Lohengrin cannon do so then why do you persist that the individual parts are vulnerable?

Since they are all flyers then maybe they are autonomous and can also dodge attacks. Eitherways, evidence from the anime refutes all of your arguments except maintenance (and disassembly) - which really are gripes that you're wasting time with.
Wingnut

domino wrote:If Kira couldn't recover and/or shoot down the parts and neither could the squadron defending the Lohengrin cannon do so then why do you persist that the individual parts are vulnerable?

Since they are all flyers then maybe they are autonomous and can also dodge attacks. Eitherways, evidence from the anime refutes all of your arguments except maintenance (and disassembly) - which really are gripes that you're wasting time with.
Not really. In Victory Gundam Uso had frequent problems with combining under fire and more than once had a component shot down before he could dock. IIRC, this once resulted in him having to fight a pitched battle on his own without the arms of his Gundam and only a pair of beam rifles mounted on his legs.

It's no secret that the pilots of the CEverse, named and unnamed, are notoriously bad shots if the plot demands it, so it's not that much of a stretch to conclude that the Zanscare pilots are on a different level than OMNI or ZAFT and are able to overcome such difficulties in making tough shots under stress.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
monster

Wingnut wrote:Not really. In Victory Gundam Uso had frequent problems with combining under fire and more than once had a component shot down before he could dock. IIRC, this once resulted in him having to fight a pitched battle on his own without the arms of his Gundam and only a pair of beam rifles mounted on his legs.

It's no secret that the pilots of the CEverse, named and unnamed, are notoriously bad shots if the plot demands it, so it's not that much of a stretch to conclude that the Zanscare pilots are on a different level than OMNI or ZAFT and are able to overcome such difficulties in making tough shots under stress.
Well, this goes back to an earlier point I made that you don't replace the parts just anytime. You have to do it wisely and make sure you have the opening to do so.

But if you're going to say that the pilots in CE are bad shots, then that argument against the Impulse's combination ability is now void.
MythSearcher

domino wrote:
You're ignoring that Shinn was able to quickly combine the Impulse in the MIDDLE of enemy fire not once but twice - against the Lohengrin cannon and then during the battle against Freedom

Impulse is a suit DESIGNED to combine (and apparently disassemble) very quickly. So making arguments that combining is impractical - is impractical and nonsense coming from you.

So since the core unit is a flyer, Shinn is supposed to dodge attacks and we've already seen that he can command the Minerva to send a replacement top part AND combine with it in less time than it takes even Kira to recover. If Kira couldn't recover and/or shoot down the parts and neither could the squadron defending the Lohengrin cannon do so then why do you persist that the individual parts are vulnerable?

Don't use plot induced success as an indication of rationale, enemies not firing at the core when they are perfectly able to do so but did not even have near misses is plot, just like in 0083, Gato uses GP02A to charge STRAIGHT into EFSF ships and none of them used their AA guns but only fired their main cannons(which is even more likely to damage their high density ships) is plot, not Gato being skillful.(He showed none in that particular scene by accelerating straight into enemy fire, instead of making random patterned movements)

If the flyers are autonomous and is that good at dodging, ALL MS should be.

No matter how fast it is designed to combine, you are still risking your life doing so. Yes, you can change you clothes within 0.3 seconds, will you do it in the streets in front of a police officer? No? then why on Earth do you want to combine in front of your enemies? If your MS can combine that fast, meaning it can move very fast and be very accurate, why on Earth do you think other MSs cannot aim that accurately in such fast speeds?(actually can be two to three magnitudes less accurate in order to shoot the flyers down)

When you introduce or suggests a single occurrence should have special abilities to survive under those designs, you are already proving that the design is irrational and needed extra abilities just to survive(that no way other units ignore to install once available)

Hey, my combining MS design is so great that I need to add more abilities for it to survive combat, here's the list:
1) 20 years advance technology against my enemy's arsenal
2) super human pilot
3) enemies are rendered idiots by seeing the MS
4) extra luck for facing an enemy that didn't want to kill until I finish my final blow
5) infinite budget in development
6) I have THE best mechanics that can keep up with the maintenance(check AV-8 history if you have no idea what I am talking about)

Why, and how, then, do I get all these without plot armour?

Picking out a special case in the anime is not really evidence, Shinn is at least one of the best pilots out there(from the settings), developing and building stuff for a pilot without actual battle record itself is completely irrational.

If you want to use anime as evidence, no one else used a combining MS and even Shinn switched to Destiny is an indication that a combining MS is not really that great even in the anime world, they are willing to waste the launch pad and catapult instead of producing more combining MS to fully utilize it or even building more ships with that kind of launch system.
monster

MythSearcher wrote:Hey, my combining MS design is so great that I need to add more abilities for it to survive combat, here's the list:
1) 20 years advance technology against my enemy's arsenal
2) super human pilot
3) enemies are rendered idiots by seeing the MS
4) extra luck for facing an enemy that didn't want to kill until I finish my final blow
5) infinite budget in development
6) I have THE best mechanics that can keep up with the maintenance(check AV-8 history if you have no idea what I am talking about)

Why, and how, then, do I get all these without plot armour?
1) is clearly incorrect.
2), 5), and 6) don't seem to apply to just the Impulse.
4) is actually a point for the Impulse because that opponent would still have disabled the Impulse if it wasn't modular in design.

3) could be a valid criticism, but Shinn mostly combined either before the enemy gets near, after he has cleared the area, or when the enemy is distracted or surprised. The sequence is also probably not supposed to be as slow as it is portrayed.

Like I said, I don't really have any problem about not wanting a combining mobile suit. That said, the Impulse's case isn't nearly as bad you might think.
developing and building stuff for a pilot without actual battle record itself is completely irrational.
Battle record doesn't mean much when there hasn't been that many wars to begin with and we're dealing with coordinators who can learn quickly.

And the Impulse wasn't developed or built for Shinn. It's a prototype class mobile suit and Shinn was chosen to be its test pilot.
domino

MythSearcher wrote: If you want to use anime as evidence, no one else used a combining MS and even Shinn switched to Destiny is an indication that a combining MS is not really that great even in the anime world, they are willing to waste the launch pad and catapult instead of producing more combining MS to fully utilize it or even building more ships with that kind of launch system.
We're discussing an anime show but we can't use the same anime as evidence? Good luck with that

Don't forget, Shinn did it in the midst of an all-out firefight - and not only against Freedom.

In both instances, we see that it's a quick connection (maybe faster than V Gundam?) since by the time Kira is forced to the ground (by an explosion no less), Shinn is already combined and able to perform a follow-up attack

It's fine to question why Impulse isn't a direct Strike-copy but well, besides the concerns about maintenance and hangar-space, your points about impracticality are refuted by the anime. While it seems silly, we know that the anime is not realistic (giant humanoid robots capable of atmospheric re-entry?) so the fact that the enemy misses is more due to Shinn's skill than the enemy's inability to target (at least that's the in-universe explanation for why pilots like Shinn/Kira can take down squadrons with ease)

Even if using Impulse is indeed impractical (if we wish to follow your logic), Shinn was chosen as the test-pilot BECAUSE he knows how to use it to its full potential (ie combination, different weapon packs, core flyer, etc). Back to OP's question: the multiple top/bottom parts are replacements intended for quick deployment
Wingnut

monster wrote:Well, this goes back to an earlier point I made that you don't replace the parts just anytime. You have to do it wisely and make sure you have the opening to do so.
Random points in battle would suggest otherwise as no one seemed to wait for an appropriate opening. It was always "get me this part ASAP".
But if you're going to say that the pilots in CE are bad shots, then that argument against the Impulse's combination ability is now void.
On the contrary, it makes it extremely relevant as by all rights Shinn should have had parts shot out from under him left and right while he tried to combine.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
monster

Wingnut wrote:Random points in battle would suggest otherwise as no one seemed to wait for an appropriate opening. It was always "get me this part ASAP".
Do you mind pointing out when a combining was done without the pilot doing something about any enemy nearby or without catching the enemy by surprise?
On the contrary, it makes it extremely relevant as by all rights Shinn should have had parts shot out from under him left and right while he tried to combine.
That possibility ceases to exist if you fall back to the idea that pilots in CE were bad shots.

Otherwise, an alternative explanation would be that Shinn combined quickly while the situation was relatively safe, even during a battle.
MythSearcher

monster wrote: 1) is clearly incorrect.
2), 5), and 6) don't seem to apply to just the Impulse.
4) is actually a point for the Impulse because that opponent would still have disabled the Impulse if it wasn't modular in design.

3) could be a valid criticism, but Shinn mostly combined either before the enemy gets near, after he has cleared the area, or when the enemy is distracted or surprised. The sequence is also probably not supposed to be as slow as it is portrayed.

Like I said, I don't really have any problem about not wanting a combining mobile suit. That said, the Impulse's case isn't nearly as bad you might think.
1) is when he claimed that the flyers can automatically dodge attacks.
If you don't have this kind of ability, the total surface area of the core+flyers is larger than a single MS, thus is more likely to be hit by enemy fire.
2) Coordinators are not all super human, most of them only averagely surpass naturals, some even only has different coloured hair or eyes. This is pretty much straight from the settings, and averagely better does not mean all of them are specialized in piloting. ZAFT advantage was more of the technological side, when using MS against MAs they have a 1:5 advantage, but since they are vastly out numbered, they can still only hold a stalemate. Once its MS against MS, they really didn't have much advantage, luckily the tide changed and the factions in the EA separated and thus they don't need to fight as much enemies. In fact, most ZAFT pilot grunts we see on scene can't really hit their target and stayed at a single position before being shot down just like naturals' counter part.(thanks to reuse of motions, their action and skill sets are exactly the same in the anime)
3) You don't hope to have a clear situation in military, you have to prepare for the worst, which this design does not. And like I said, no matter how fast the combination goes, it is very easily predictable since the core has to go into the middle of the chest and leg flyers sooner or later, and it will not be moving fast enough so the enemy cannot react fast enough unless it violates 1). don't assume the enemy doesn't know this, if you know a bit of WWII military booklets you will know that the militaries printed booklets teaching all pilots/tank users/infantries about the weakness and patterns the enemy unit has pretty fast.
4) Like I said, not quite. A full MS has its parts more hidden inside and can distribute its armour better. The combining MS has more surface area and thus is weaker in defence. And dispite each part being smaller, the 3~4 units on average wouldn't have a lot more thrust to weight ratio if it still has to carry all the parts and equipment of the MS, the thrusters on the core splendor are wasted in MS mode so I can give you a bit of an advantage but obviously not much since it is also carrying extra stuff to the battlefield(the two missile/propellant tank) Thus don't think they can dodge better than MS, since they are not even utilizing AMBAC. Only a combining MS(i.e. Impulse) has more weakness for the enemy to exploit and thus more likely to be destroyed. You do need to be so lucky to run into an enemy that is not about to kill you in order to survive the worst parts of the battle before Shinn used the surprise elements to dodge and give the final blow.
5)&6) If it does not apply to all or at least most mass production units in the same era, you can't really use that as an excuse.

The Impulse by itself wouldn't be so bad, the bad parts comes from all the supporting works it needed. Like I said, if it was built as a unit utilizing already built technology and standards, it woudn't be as bad and makes a bit more sense.
Battle record doesn't mean much when there hasn't been that many wars to begin with and we're dealing with coordinators who can learn quickly.

And the Impulse wasn't developed or built for Shinn. It's a prototype class mobile suit and Shinn was chosen to be its test pilot.
ZAFT has a bunch of veterans from the past war, and most of its pilots are coordinators thus you do can find people with battle records and has the actual experience AND shown to have made good decisions.

domino wrote:
We're discussing an anime show but we can't use the same anime as evidence? Good luck with that

Don't forget, Shinn did it in the midst of an all-out firefight - and not only against Freedom.

In both instances, we see that it's a quick connection (maybe faster than V Gundam?) since by the time Kira is forced to the ground (by an explosion no less), Shinn is already combined and able to perform a follow-up attack

It's fine to question why Impulse isn't a direct Strike-copy but well, besides the concerns about maintenance and hangar-space, your points about impracticality are refuted by the anime. While it seems silly, we know that the anime is not realistic (giant humanoid robots capable of atmospheric re-entry?) so the fact that the enemy misses is more due to Shinn's skill than the enemy's inability to target (at least that's the in-universe explanation for why pilots like Shinn/Kira can take down squadrons with ease)

Even if using Impulse is indeed impractical (if we wish to follow your logic), Shinn was chosen as the test-pilot BECAUSE he knows how to use it to its full potential (ie combination, different weapon packs, core flyer, etc). Back to OP's question: the multiple top/bottom parts are replacements intended for quick deployment
Do you know how long does it take to fall from a relatively high place to the ground? AND beam shots can penetrate explosions? That is what I call LUCK.

You have a bunch of grunts being shot down in a simple fliping dodge of the Freedom, you think the combination sequence is faster than a MS flipping? If so, you are relying on the Impulse having even higher technology than the Strike Freedom, much much higher, not just 20 years higher, more like 50 years higher.
The Freedom flew down in the wedding and is able to shoot two guns out of some grunts MSs' hands, so Freedom can at least land 2 shots on Impulse at very precise locations(e.g. the Core splendor) at times which it combines.

Shinn survived because of luck, not because of skills, and I'm talking about the decision made to build the Impulse was irrational, using lucky chains of events does not justify that because development of military vehicles has to be rationale and think of a more general situation.
Given the ability of any other mass produced model of the same era, even adding 50% of spec increase to them(which should not be possible even given CE fast developing tech), wouldn't be able to survive what the Impulse survived, and that already renders all justification of the Impulse moot.

And again, if Impulse relied on Shinn to make good use of it, which he never proved his ability in battle and he cannot do so BEFORE Impulse project's budget got through the military higher ups, the military higher ups screwed up big time and are idiots since they did not consider well what will happen if they cannot find someone to use it.
You don't spend billions building something new and hope someone will pop up and be able to use it very well.
domino

Seems you want to discuss the anime by discrediting the anime....

1. I said IF the flyers can dodge that wouldn't be too far out. There is DRAGOON technology on both sides anyway so 50 yrs advancement not necessary
2. Didn't Durandal say he chose Shinn as the pilot of the Impulse? I'm sure someone said Shinn was chosen for some special ability he had - maybe how efficiently he used the Impulse.
3. You don't spend billions building something new to hope someone will pop up and pilot it? Clearly this is the first Gundam show you've ever watched. Tons of prototype Gundams are built with no further explanation beyond "we can".

You simply refuse to accept that the Impulse works as it does....because it was designed to do so and has a pilot that can utilize it's full potential (once again - you never see Luna pulling off Shinn's tricks). It's not about luck since in-universe, we are supposed to accept it's Shinn's skill - regardless of Kira's killing intent, Shinn was able to pull off disassembly, attack and then recombination in mid-air with little effort.

Anyway, I think this topic has been exhausted. Would be great if someone had tech details of how Impulse is maintained and the storage of its separate parts vs a combined mobile suit - that's far more interesting than this constant back-and-forth
Amion

To me the Impulse's impracticality comes in with the fact that it's using a unique catapult to pull off what it does, when it shouldn't really have the need to. Otherwise it's basically the V Gundam, which proves time and again how a core block system can be an overall good thing, despite issues at times with enemies recombining.

Speaking of, BESPA pilots, the Zanscare folk we see fighting in early V, if I'm not mistaken, are supposed to be very talented. So yeah, they kinda are a cut above. Despite this, they still had issues fighting the V, which acted a as a sort-of funnel system, fighting with all three units at once and re-combining to finish the job.

The Impulse never really seemed to have its silhouettes do this, though at least we see that the entire machine was great for swiftly replacing battle-damaged limbs with new leg flyers, at least.

I still feel like Mythsearcher has the right idea, though. Because regardless of how the Impulse works, it's obvious someone was thinking along the same lines, because they built the Destiny, which doesn't have flyers. Then again, we also get the Destiny Impulse, which refutes the worth of the Destiny itself...*Shrugs*
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
monster

MythSearcher wrote:1) is when he claimed that the flyers can automatically dodge attacks.
Even if that's true, and I'm not saying that it is, I don't see how that would suggest anything close to a 20-year advancement in technology.
If you don't have this kind of ability, the total surface area of the core+flyers is larger than a single MS, thus is more likely to be hit by enemy fire.
As long as they are separated, each unit would still provide a smaller target than the combined unit.
2) Coordinators are not all super human, most of them only averagely surpass naturals, some even only has different coloured hair or eyes. This is pretty much straight from the settings, and averagely better does not mean all of them are specialized in piloting. ZAFT advantage was more of the technological side, when using MS against MAs they have a 1:5 advantage, but since they are vastly out numbered, they can still only hold a stalemate. Once its MS against MS, they really didn't have much advantage, luckily the tide changed and the factions in the EA separated and thus they don't need to fight as much enemies. In fact, most ZAFT pilot grunts we see on scene can't really hit their target and stayed at a single position before being shot down just like naturals' counter part.(thanks to reuse of motions, their action and skill sets are exactly the same in the anime)
Regardless, there is no reason to believe that only a special kind of coordinator may pilot the Impulse.
3) You don't hope to have a clear situation in military, you have to prepare for the worst, which this design does not. And like I said, no matter how fast the combination goes, it is very easily predictable since the core has to go into the middle of the chest and leg flyers sooner or later, and it will not be moving fast enough so the enemy cannot react fast enough unless it violates 1). don't assume the enemy doesn't know this, if you know a bit of WWII military booklets you will know that the militaries printed booklets teaching all pilots/tank users/infantries about the weakness and patterns the enemy unit has pretty fast.
Of course, which is why you don't intentionally allow the worst scenario to happen. You don't leave yourself vulnerable while there are still enemy units nearby. That doesn't take away from the modular system.
4) Like I said, not quite. A full MS has its parts more hidden inside and can distribute its armour better. The combining MS has more surface area and thus is weaker in defence. And dispite each part being smaller, the 3~4 units on average wouldn't have a lot more thrust to weight ratio if it still has to carry all the parts and equipment of the MS, the thrusters on the core splendor are wasted in MS mode so I can give you a bit of an advantage but obviously not much since it is also carrying extra stuff to the battlefield(the two missile/propellant tank) Thus don't think they can dodge better than MS, since they are not even utilizing AMBAC. Only a combining MS(i.e. Impulse) has more weakness for the enemy to exploit and thus more likely to be destroyed. You do need to be so lucky to run into an enemy that is not about to kill you in order to survive the worst parts of the battle before Shinn used the surprise elements to dodge and give the final blow.
Except a non-modular mobile suit would have already been disabled before the combining factor came into place. The reason why Shinn asked for a replacement in the first place was to fix his damaged mobile suit and rearm himself.
5)&6) If it does not apply to all or at least most mass production units in the same era, you can't really use that as an excuse.
You don't know whether or not it applies. And even if it doesn't, it's no different than other limited-production or prototype mobile suits. The key is whether they are prepared to support it, which they are.
The Impulse by itself wouldn't be so bad, the bad parts comes from all the supporting works it needed. Like I said, if it was built as a unit utilizing already built technology and standards, it woudn't be as bad and makes a bit more sense.
For the most part, it was. And the Minerva was designed together with the Impulse. Naturally, they are prepared to support it. There's no need to exaggerate the level of support that it needs.
ZAFT has a bunch of veterans from the past war, and most of its pilots are coordinators thus you do can find people with battle records and has the actual experience AND shown to have made good decisions.
Sure, but in this case, that wasn't the only thing that Durandal was looking for. And the fact that someone like Shinn was qualified further proved that you didn't need to be a special super pilot, not to mention Lunamaria.
Amion wrote:To me the Impulse's impracticality comes in with the fact that it's using a unique catapult to pull off what it does, when it shouldn't really have the need to.
I think it actually makes sense because it allows regular mobile suits to launch at the same time as the parts.
E08

Amion wrote: Then again, we also get the Destiny Impulse, which refutes the worth of the Destiny itself...*Shrugs*
I wouldn't say that. Destiny Impulse had this rather serious issue in which it needs the deuterion beam recharge 2-3 times per sortie.
MythSearcher

domino wrote:Seems you want to discuss the anime by discrediting the anime....

1. I said IF the flyers can dodge that wouldn't be too far out. There is DRAGOON technology on both sides anyway so 50 yrs advancement not necessary
2. Didn't Durandal say he chose Shinn as the pilot of the Impulse? I'm sure someone said Shinn was chosen for some special ability he had - maybe how efficiently he used the Impulse.
3. You don't spend billions building something new to hope someone will pop up and pilot it? Clearly this is the first Gundam show you've ever watched. Tons of prototype Gundams are built with no further explanation beyond "we can".

You simply refuse to accept that the Impulse works as it does....because it was designed to do so and has a pilot that can utilize it's full potential (once again - you never see Luna pulling off Shinn's tricks). It's not about luck since in-universe, we are supposed to accept it's Shinn's skill - regardless of Kira's killing intent, Shinn was able to pull off disassembly, attack and then recombination in mid-air with little effort.

Anyway, I think this topic has been exhausted. Would be great if someone had tech details of how Impulse is maintained and the storage of its separate parts vs a combined mobile suit - that's far more interesting than this constant back-and-forth
I am not discrediting the anime, I am simply telling you the facts that the anime did not support your arguments.

1) The Dragoons are much smaller and harder to detect to begin with, you don't really see pilots trying to attack the dragoons. The flyers are half MS size. The backpack flyer actually has a surface area comparable to an MS.

2) You don't seem to understand the sequence of events. The development of a military vehicle isn't and shouldn't be like that. You don't spend billions of dollars(or whatever currency) to develop a unit for a single pilot that didn't have any combat record to prove him/herself, because if that pilot goes down, so does your money. And you just don't start the development even before you know someone can use it, because if no one can use it you are still wasting your money. Thus military vehicles are built to be generalized, most people can use them. You can get people who can use them better, but that will be a long list of suitable uses and they will all be trained to the standard.

3) You don't understand a word I said. All the Gundams are not new in concept. The first Gundam was build after the Zeon Zaku, and is built for general pilots, the core block system was not a one off design, but the EFF was ready to support is and you have a lot of related development not limited to the RX series(like the core booster), the catapults for the core fighter was even designed before it for other military planes the EFF has. Mk-II is pretty much the same. Zeta was build after you have a bunch of TMS and the concept proved to be useable. The ZZ was built in a world with a lot of smaller crafts. The GP series had the GP03 as the most unrealistic child, since you don't get the budget of a MA for just an order of a MS, but the world has large MAs, so it is not really that far fetched of a concept. The Nu was built upon NT technology which is also well developed and proved useful in the battlefield. V was basically built for a much weaker faction that needed to transport MS by trucks of different sizes and need to move quickly to avoid detection, so smaller parts makes that bit more sense.(Also in a world already full of smaller military crafts) G was not for military purposes but world tournament that decides the ruler of the world, figure the money spend will be very worth it for the countries(Not saying the world view itself is realistic) W also came in a world full of MS and W0 actually was not built before them since it is deemed not suitable for general pilots and no one can use it, it was only built by a crazed for revenge terrorist minded Quatre, so rationale doesn't apply here, after the prove of concept anyway. X was one of the old world well developed time period. Strike is pretty much like first Gundam, which all 5Gs was built after the prove of concept ZAFT MSs. 00 might not be that rational, but none the less suited the whole world theme, CB was not erally a military to start with anyway and with Veda they controlled the whole world's economy and thus money is not really an issue. AGE was almost the only serious offender here, but still only building on previous concept and technology and they actually followed up and use the concepts in the mass production models. Impusle popped up in a world that already mainly uses MS as the main weapon of choice, with ZAFT having no smaller crafts to launch from time to time and thus did not have older ships where they already have smaller catapults systems to begin with, and did not really have a purpose of developing a new concept that most of their pilots couldn't use.

I am not refusing the Impusle workED, I am telling you the background of the development is irrational. it workED does not mean it is rational. The Sakura/baka bombs workED, does it mean that they are rational? Of course not, sending pilots on suicidal attacks are not rational, but did it work? Surely it did on the tactical level, efficiency wise they at least are able to take down the run way and disable the launch for quite some time with relatively low cost of resources and money compared to the down time cost of their enemy(The US). In the strategically level? wasted pilots and resources. Similar stuff happened for the AV-8, does it work? Yeah, they worked to a point where we still have AV-8 variants enlisted, so it worked even better than the Impusle in their respective world. Is it rational to develop them to begin with? At least the money spent was not efficient. They had the pilots with the best score from pilot school on them, and the long service and maintenance time made these pilots have longer ground time than same batch of pilots that went to use the F-18s, and ended up being more inexperience. The AV-8s also has more crashes(by itself, not shot downs) than the F-18s, yes, the AV-8s workED, but it's not money well spent. They kept producing them pretty much becuase they found a fix and improved them to a point where they can still use it so the development fundings are not wasted, but the Impulse? Do you see it being mass produced or the catapult used for other similar models? If no, on a military strategy scale, the Impulse did NOT work.

Spending billions of dollars developing a system for a combination MS and have it worked as one single MS worth of cost, at most 5, does not support the development. The money spent can build multiple other MSs and have it worked like hundreds of MSs. That is what working means in military terms. You spend money and time building one single cannon that has 100% acurracy, while the same money and time was place into developing 100 cannons that has only 1% accurracy for the enemy, yes, your cannon worked by getting to hit 10 enemy cannon, maybe 20 if you are lucky, but your enemy gets to destroy your whole force in a few barrages(first barrage gives your enemy a 63% chance of hitting, you can hit 1, in 10 rounds you are pretty much dead meat), which is money well spent? Try also finding info about the King Tiger against the T-34 in WWII, the King Tiger is much much more powerful, but each one has to face 5 T-34s and German simply cannot hold ground.

In military you don't build stuff and hope that it works, you build stuff planned out for it to work. This is what the Impulse lacks.

Capitalism and efficiency works really well in military, you get the most out of your budget, and that is the fastest way you can get to your strongest potential. Every dollar I spend I take down 2 dollars worth of asset from my enemy, then I am at least winning the combat and more likely the battle as long as I am not overwhelmingly outnumbered. Likely able to win the war if I am not fighting seriously stronger opponents. The warring method you are using is instead "build it, it seemed to work in destroying enemies, so all's fine." and ignored the whole efficiency thing behind it.

If ZAFT already had a bunch of older ships that was used for launching smaller crafts, the Impulse will make much more sense. Another way of justification will be a launch pad on the ground that have already used to test out the Impulse or mock ups, and mock battles. A slight difference in presentation already changes a lot of the irrationality.
monster wrote: Even if that's true, and I'm not saying that it is, I don't see how that would suggest anything close to a 20-year advancement in technology.
Automatic evasion system that worked better than human pilots are not used in all MSs?
Why would it not be a 20-year advancement? If it workded that great, the MSs should have already all have them installed, or if it is relatively new, all new MS should have it installed in no time. Usually a new technology cannot be implemented on military carafts without thoroughly tested for an extended period of time, and that takes a decade or two. But once implemented on one, automatic evasion system is a matter of installation on the computers(since it will just be letting the computers utilizing the evasion systems the human pilots are using), thus ZAFT should be able to do it on all MSs, but we don't see that.

The anime and settings did not support an automatic evasion system, the Impulse's flyers was not dodging attacks automatically, so let's just leave it at that.
As long as they are separated, each unit would still provide a smaller target than the combined unit.
You still get more chance of being hit. Two points of easy aiming, A) At launch(which is a perfect time for snipers) B) At combination(hey a few things are flying together, it is more eye capturing)

For A), if you miss an MS, nothing after it is flying out to be hit, you hit the ship but that usually has more defence. If it is Impulse, you hit the flyer following the first. If you damage the ship's catapult, for MSs you already launched the whole thing, for Impulse, you only have part of it.

For B), well, good luck.

Each target is smaller, but since the average number of projectiles in the field is still the same, you don't get any advantage since your total area is larger. Especially considering most anti air attacks are spreaded out to attack an area. (Check flak notice most anit air missiles work in similar concept)
Regardless, there is no reason to believe that only a special kind of coordinator may pilot the Impulse.
Then you have to prove that your average coordinator has what it takes to pilot is in a normal scramble situation, and not rely on saying Shinn was chosen and can make good decisions.
The problem of that is I can give you anti-proves where the average coordinator in the anime are pretty bad at dodging and aiming, don't see why they can do better when they need to do combination.
Of course, which is why you don't intentionally allow the worst scenario to happen. You don't leave yourself vulnerable while there are still enemy units nearby. That doesn't take away from the modular system.
In a war half of the time you don't get to choose the battlefield, your enemy chose it for you.
You don't intentionally allow the worst scenario to happen, thus you don't use designs that have more worst scenario than others...
Except a non-modular mobile suit would have already been disabled before the combining factor came into place. The reason why Shinn asked for a replacement in the first place was to fix his damaged mobile suit and rearm himself.
That is the problem here. He was lucky to be facing an enemy that only wanted to disarm him, instead of landing lethal blows from the very beginning. It would not be much different for the Impulse if Kira wanted to be a Killer from the very beginning, which Shinn will then have no chance of doing any of the modular stuff.

Shinn was only able to do so because his tactics rely solely on the fact that the enemy didn't want to kill. That is specially said in show, Shinn can do pretty much nothing if that is not the case. Obviously all of these are after the fact that Impulse was already built and in battle, thus it does not help the argument of "Building the Impulse was a good decision".
For the most part, it was. And the Minerva was designed together with the Impulse. Naturally, they are prepared to support it. There's no need to exaggerate the level of support that it needs.
Building a single ship is not really preparing to support a single unit. It only supports the argument of bad decision. If they really want to support it, before building the ship they'd already have ground based testing facilities and have much larger scale of testing.

Putting something like that on a ship is expensive(any military ships of that scale is)
But using a catapult(especially pre-existed one) and drawing a small box around it to indicate the size of the launch pad is much easier and cheaper.

A more reasonable chain of development for something like the Impulse will be first using small crafts of similar size to test out the launch sequence under enemy fire(mock battle), if that is favourable, build the Impulse test units to test in more mock battles, then maybe build the smaller catapult on ground and test a more realistic situation. Usually you can even test a few Impulses launches against a larger force, well before you choose to build a small catapult on a ship, since it will be really hard(and expensive) to modify the ship after completing it.

In the anime it will be pretty easy to show, you can have Shinn launching from a ground base and other MS involving in a supposedly planned mock battle against the Impulse switching to actual armaments and entering the fight, and the Minerva launching the backpack flyers to introduce the newly build ship which not even Shinn knew about(but heard of, so he can utter something like "If the ship is built it will be easier").
Sure, but in this case, that wasn't the only thing that Durandal was looking for. And the fact that someone like Shinn was qualified further proved that you didn't need to be a special super pilot, not to mention Lunamaria.
At least he is a red coat, and she is as well.

I think it actually makes sense because it allows regular mobile suits to launch at the same time as the parts.
Not quite, given calculation, it really doesn't go better than having an extra full sized catapult so you can choose to launch normal MS in it or other supportive vehicles.(including the backpack flyers)
domino

Uhhh....you said that the anime references I brought up were only possible due to "luck" -which isn't an in-universe expanation - so how are you "proving" the anime doesn't support my arguments (which aren't arguments but refutations of YOUR assumptions)?

You sure you've been watching Gundam, buddy?

All of your synopsis and you ignore that the RX-78 had a Corefighter for a less realistic reason that the Impulse could. RX-78 assumed that the pilot could escape eventhough the RX-78's disassembly mechanism was not in anyway smooth (unlike the potential escape method of the GP01) while the Impulse uses its corefighter to improve suvivability during combat.

The Impulse is based on the Strike - which ZAFT captured from EA. This is pretty obvious and gives it enough of a "basis in reality" if that's what you're looking for. Gundams are PROTOTYPE mecha - not necessarily intended for mass production. They aren't more expensive versions of future planned mass production mecha. If so, then we'd have to consider the RX-78 to be a failure since the Corefighter was not included in GMs. Take the Chaos, Abyss and Gaia as examples of ZAFT just being these PROTOTYPE mecha because they can.

You've switched your arguments a few times - each time trying to seem smart by writing a lot but failing. It's not working.

You started with an issue about Impulse's impracticality but now it seems your issue is really with the Minerva's launch system. Might be valid - do you have any source material or do you want to continue writing a lot?

EDIT: The CoreBooster concept came up AFTER the coreblock system and not at the same time.
Amion

Now, Myth has made a point about the launch system, and been rather practical about it so far as the rational about the need for a special catapult is concerned. And yes, the catapult does in fact tie into the launch mechanisms of the Impulse, considering it was built "specially" for it.

I thought his argument for the machine has always been about its launch sequence and how this is irrational, not the machine itself being able to split apart for whatever reason.

Just give it up already, everyone. This has long since become a quote war with no one really sure where their original goal post exactly is, as evidenced by the tumult of quotes about side comments. Myth has made his point, the Impulse is better off with a standard catapult, regardless of its launch sequence. At least that's from my perspective after reading through all this.

But at this point you're just insulting each other's intelligence. Really, Shadowcell would have already stopped this if he weren't giggling in the dark somewhere.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.