Background Of the Dodai Kai and Base Jabber

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gelgoog Jager

Background Of the Dodai Kai and Base Jabber

Does anyone know if there's any official info indicating when were these post-OYW SFS developed and first deployed?

I particularly want to know about the origin of the Dodai Kai: is it a leftover Zeon design (like the Galbaldy Beta) or an EF design based on the OYW units (like the Hizack)?

Another point of interest is te fact that during the Gryps War and later during the 1st Neo Zeon War, the AEUG/Karaba forces are consistently seen using only the Dodai Kai, while the Base Jabber is seen exclusively used by the EF/Titans/Neo Zeon forces. In the case of Neo Zeon, we can most likely assume that the Base Jabber were provided by the Titans that joined forces with them.

In the case of the AEUG/Karaba, I'm inclined to think that the Dodai Kais might have even been provided off screen to the their forces, rather than being leftovers that the AEUG got from the Audhumla.
toysdream

Re: Background Of the Dodai Kai and Base Jabber

Well, the AEUG and Karaba first use the Dodai in episode 14, right after their stop at Kennedy, so it's hard to see any occasion where they could have received them en route. On the other hand, the Titans aboard the Sudori brought a lot of Base Jabbers with them (along with their Hizacks and Act Zakus). So it seems more like likely that the Audhumla was already stocked with Dodais.

Otherwise, there's really very little info on any of these. I'd like to think that the Base Jabber has some G-Fighter DNA in its heritage, but that's purely speculation. :-)

-- Mark
Deathzealot

My personal head canon has the Dodai Kai developed by the Federation soon after the OYW for their Earthbound forces out of data left from the Dodai II and regular Dodai. After somewhere around late 0086 or so the Federation looked into to replacing them with a better design which became the Base Jabber. The older Dodai remained in service with regular Federation Forces while the Base Jabber were in service with the Titans, and Titan Aligned forces.
ChaoticSheep1

That's pretty much my head canon as well.

...But what about the Geta? I remember seeing that SFS somewhere in Zeta. To me it looks like the predecessor to the Base Jabber.
Deathzealot

The Geta and the Shackles are space-use SFS which is why they are called Spacejabbers. The background on them are a bit different but honestly I believe they are developed in response to extending a mobile suit's flight time not to mention not having mobile suits carry that much fuel therefore making them lighter during a fight.
ChaoticSheep1

The original Base Jabber can be used in Space right? I think I saw them being used in Space during ZZ.
Deathzealot

Not the Base Jabber itself that we see in Zeta, but a different type.
ChaoticSheep1

No I saw Zaku II F's riding the Zeta Base Jabber in ZZ. Unless they were Geta's but I don't think they were in ZZ, I'll have to rewatch it.
ChaoticSheep1

Ah no. I was wrong they were riding Geta's.
Deathzealot

Yeah and eventually the Neo-Zeon get Shackles, which become the counterpart to the Spacejabber in Char's Counterattack and Unicorn.
ChaoticSheep1

Yea, Yea I remember now. Also the AEUG had a SFS called the Shackles before Neo Zeon. They don't have alot in common aesthetics wise.
Deathzealot

Actually both the Shackles and the Geta look a bit different.
Gelgoog Jager

Deathzealot wrote:The Geta and the Shackles are space-use SFS which is why they are called Spacejabbers. The background on them are a bit different but honestly I believe they are developed in response to extending a mobile suit's flight time not to mention not having mobile suits carry that much fuel therefore making them lighter during a fight.
Actually I think that the space jabbers seen on Zeta Gundam are supposed to be based on the Skute, and obscure MS-X support machine which IIRC was designed to extend a Zaku's operational range:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/ms-x/skute.htm

Incidentally, we could also assume that the Mega Bazooka Launcher and the Mega Launcher (weapon which Jerid and Mouar operated using Hizacks in the TV series) are based on another MS-X weapons: the Skiure, essentially a mobile weapons platform meant to be operated by a MS. Supposedly the weapon itself is basically a handheld version of a Bygro's Mega Particle Cannon (guess someone decided to apply the knowledge from the Magella Top Gun when he got back to space).

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/ms-x/skiure.htm

Unlike the Skute, the Skiure do has been animated, as seen during the 5th Unicorn OVA when it was operated by a Geara Zulu from the top of the Garencieres.
balofo

The full Skiure also appears in OVA 7
ChaoticSheep1

Deathzealot wrote:Actually both the Shackles and the Geta look a bit different.
I happen to know what they both look like, thank you.
Deathzealot

Actually I read your post wrong sorry Chaoticsheep.
ChaoticSheep1

It's okay.