Practicality of the Beam Scythe

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Raikoh

Practicality of the Beam Scythe

Something that that strikes me as odd is the usage of scythe weapons in fiction, moreso in stories that are meant to be more realistic. The scythe itself is an incredibly impractical weapon (hefty, limited possibility of attacks due to the shape, etc.) so I really don't get why the Deathscythe (in this example) uses it other than to look scary. Most series I see scythes in are more magical in nature so I could see that as a hand wave, but in a Real Robot (admittedly debatable with Wing) series I expect some sort of logic for the really strange weapons (I could make dozens of topics akin to this). Even with it being a beam, I can't understand why the Professor G would choose to give it what must be a fairly large power drain if a beam saber (or something like the Gelgoog's beam naginata) would be more effective in general combat. It's not just the Deathscythe that has these issues with the impracticality of the scythe weapon. The Abigor, Forbidden, and Abyss all make me scratch my head at "why a scythe? Why not something like an axe or a spear, or even just a war scythe?"

And that's not even getting into my issues with the double beam scythe...
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Gone Astray

Re: Practicality of the Beam Scythe

I think it's stated in the supplemental materials that mobile suits in AC are deliberately designed around psychological warfare to begin with, and the Deathscythe is an obvious furthering of that. Since it's a beam, issues of blade angle are moot, and the head of the scythe is articulated to let it function more like a traditional glaive. I honestly wouldn't read too much into the aesthetics of the AC Gundams since they're mostly designed around close range combat.

The Abigor and Forbidden, I can't say much for, except the Abigor at least has beam scythes, and I'm just going to assume the Forbidden did it for intimidation. The Abyss's weapon is set up more like a battle axe, with a beam blade off the main body, so I wouldn't consider it all that impractical.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Bryant Molirse

Same debate, two different forums. LOL.
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
Jestersage

So let's keep it level: we will use UC, since UC is about the only thing that people can say "make sense". While I cannot say too much about Abigor, there's another weapon that function like a scythe: the twin beam saber wielded by GM Striker.

The twin beam saber is said to be evolved from beam naginata. However, it added one extra things: Joints, allowing the beam saber to go 90 degrees... like a scythe.

The longer handle give it longer reach, but due to holding it with both hands decrease the effectively angle. Thus, like other bo-type weapons, it favor spinning with the whoel body. On battlefield, it typically is used to create space. Also, the handle would make it easier for opponents to grab hold: by making it into a scythe-liek weapon, it helps prevent opponent to grab it.
Arsarcana

Yeah, when you have a beam blade the shape is somewhat irrelevant because every part of the blade can be used to damage the enemy. Granted, it may still be less practical than other shapes but see the discussion on psychological warfare (and Duo being who he is). Also, when you have significantly better tech, you can afford to be less than ruthlessly practical, at least in fiction. See also: Exia.

Now, I admit that I have no real defense for Deathscythe Hell's double scythe as it's used on the show, though it is capable of moving the blades separately so at least you can argue it's able to sweep a wider area or convert the thing to a spear if needed.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Arsarcana wrote:Now, I admit that I have no real defense for Deathscythe Hell's double scythe as it's used on the show, though it is capable of moving the blades separately so at least you can argue it's able to sweep a wider area or convert the thing to a spear if needed.
Not to mention the added-on vernier thrusters on the end allow it to swing faster and more heavily.

I mostly just consider the double-blades as a further aesthetic way of showing off how Deathscythe Hell is an upgraded Deathscythe besides the cloak (which it doesn't have with the Endless Waltz designs, still has 1 blade there).

But yeah, largely comes down to psychological attacks. The Gundams were, after all, originally meant to be sent to Earth to mop up after a colony was dropped on it, which by itself would cause tons of chaos, confusion, panic, breaks in the chain of command, and so on. So to suddenly have not one, but five Gundams, each far more technologically superior than any of your own MS and with something that sets them apart psychologically from eachother (Wing with its buster rifle and transformation ability, Deathscythe with its scythe and its "invisibility", Heavyarms with all its guns and missiles, Sandrock with its sheer bulk and heat shotels, and Shenlong with its dragon fang with built-in flamethrower), and it will make many pilots much easier prey.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
serpentarius12

The Abigor's scythe if I recall correctly, functioned like a boomerang as well. :roll: strange. Going back to Deathscythe, the Gundams in Wing were, as previously said, meant to instill fear or intimidation. I guess that's the main reason Deathscythe was styled as such.
Geoxile

Maybe they needed the extra room in the scythe's shaft for extra machinery? The Deathscythe's scythe seems like it's fairly powerful. The DCH is able to slice through the Mercurius and Vaeyate dolls like butter.
Zeonista

As someone who has dabbled in Renaissance-era swordplay and polearm play in the past, I can say with some honesty that a scythe is a most ungainly weapon for striking & parrying. Also, the thin cutting edge is not especially useful against an metal armored opponent. The Deathscythe and friends though use a beam scythe and targeting sensors, which lets technology solve the actual handling, speed, and hitting issues. So efficiency is definitely in the manual, especially in AC where apparently money is no problem in building a Gundam. :) I do agree with HalfDemonInuyasha though that the chief purpose of creating such a bizarre implement instead of a more typical melee weapon is the psychological impact. All the original five Gundams for Gundam Wing were meant to oppress the enemy with the idea of unstoppable doom, to go along with their obvious physical ability to bring said doom. So Deathscythe's titular weapon may not be the best choice for efficiency in striking, but in terms of making the enemy change their pants in a sudden assault, it is hard to beat. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Den

imo, we can add to that with the deathscythe being invisible, and carrying a scythe like the portrayal of death in books and media, soldiers would then have something like an urban legend regarding a mobile suit that looks like death. this would affect the morale of the soldier and make them extra wary during the battle which could lead to them being too careful needlessly.