Wire-guided remote weapons question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Wire-guided remote weapons question

Wire-guided remote weaponry in at least the UC era usually pointed at the Mobile Suit/Mobile Armor in question using a half control/quasi-psycommu system, but there have been some that, despite having a full psycommu system, still had their remote weapons (if they had any anyway) controlled by wires. While earlier ones like the Braw Bro and even the Zeong might be understandable, given how early the tech still was, we still get some later on with things like the Psyco Gundam Mark II and Alpha Azieru and such with their wire-guided arms.

So I was wondering if, given they're connected with wires, is it possible that non-Newtype pilots (albeit, a skilled one) were meant to be able to use them as well, even without some sort of quasi-psycommu system to aid them (while having less limitations like if they were using a quasi-psycommu system with Incoms or something)? Or is it simply meant to be more cost productive, given, obviously, such things don't come cheap, or possibly to be made simpler?

Of course, I do sometimes wonder how such things don't get tangled up together with their wires, especially in the heat of battle, but I just chalk it up more to anime magic, lol.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Xenosynth

Re: Wire-guided remote weapons question

I always imagined it was a cheaper alternative, but yeah, other than that, I've also wondered a few of these things. In terms of tangling, there's not too much in space they'd get tangled with. I always imagined they used like heavy cables rather than thin wires but I dunno for sure. Other than that, it seems like you should be able to control them without a quasi psycommu. They'd just need a control stick that also had a forward backward option with the up down left right, and that would just control the thrust, though that would mean you'd have one less hand controlling the MS. But other than that as far as I know they don't really go into incoms.
Bryant Molirse

Well if we look to current technology as well, you will note a much faster response with a hard wired system vs a wireless system. Also you don't have the same issues with interference from other items using the same frequency like wireless has. Add in the number of remote weapons some of these machines carried, and deployed at the same time, and eventually the signals used by each remote would start to be a problem as well. If I remember Minovsky Particles well enough, didn't they mess with a lot of communication equipment at higher densities? Another plus, though not really mentioned anywhere would be that a wired system would be unaffected by Unicorn's ability to take remote weapons, since it was external signal based.
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
AGF-Antoine

Bryant Molirse wrote:Another plus, though not really mentioned anywhere would be that a wired system would be unaffected by Unicorn's ability to take remote weapons, since it was external signal based.
Spoiler
In episode 6 Unicorn Gundam took over the remote weapon claw from Rozen Zulu by physically touching the wire. Well, it was more blocking then anything, but still, Angelo had to cut off the wire.
I think the propellant and energy supply might also work better with a wired system
Aside from the earlier mentioned cost effectiveness.

AGF-Antoine
Xenosynth

Yeah, I was wondering what was up with the claw grab in Unicorn. I've seen it as 'Psycommu Jack' in a few works before (The unicorn videogame, etc), and since the Rozen Zulu probably uses a quasi-psycommu (Since I don't think Angelo is a newtype) then that's what let the NT-D take it over most likely.

Also, I was always wondering on ANgelo's Rozen Zulu, what was the point of those weird buffer things when the incom-claws would change direction? Were they just there to make sure the 3 wires didn't get tangled around one another? I can't seem to think of any other use for them.
Wingnut

Bryant Molirse wrote:Well if we look to current technology as well, you will note a much faster response with a hard wired system vs a wireless system. Also you don't have the same issues with interference from other items using the same frequency like wireless has. Add in the number of remote weapons some of these machines carried, and deployed at the same time, and eventually the signals used by each remote would start to be a problem as well. If I remember Minovsky Particles well enough, didn't they mess with a lot of communication equipment at higher densities? Another plus, though not really mentioned anywhere would be that a wired system would be unaffected by Unicorn's ability to take remote weapons, since it was external signal based.
However they don't do jack to funnels and such because the wavelength they operate at is unaffected by minovsky particles. In the case of the Alpha, I think it was more to give it a way of altering it's main mid-range weapon's firing angle considering it lacked arms, let alone hands that mobile suits use to achieve the same effect. Plus it had regular funnels on top of that anyway. Same thing with the Psyco Mk. II really as it had wireless reflector bits. Just another dimension to taking a shot I'd guess.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I'm fairly sure funnels are supposed to be controlled with psychowaves and not your regular old EM waves. That's why they can be controlled wirelessly in the middle of Minovsky interference, since the particles don't jam psychowaves.

Remember how Lalah sniped out those battleships waaaay in the distance with her funnels? She could only do that because she was a very powerful newtype.

But about the wires, I do agree that the more power-hungry stuff seems to be connected via cable like the Zeong hands and the Alpha Azeiru's beam turrets.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
domino

The hands may be connected not only because they are power-hungry but also because they are LARGE and have substantial weight.
InjuredPelican

The Neue Ziel has wire guided claws, but was explicitly designed to be used by old-types such as Gato. I do not recall if it uses an early version of quasi-psycommu or not, though the description I remember reading seemed to imply that.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
HalfDemonInuyasha

InjuredPelican wrote:The Neue Ziel has wire guided claws, but was explicitly designed to be used by old-types such as Gato. I do not recall if it uses an early version of quasi-psycommu or not, though the description I remember reading seemed to imply that.
It used a "half control" system, which was, for all intents and purposes, an early quasi-psycommu system that, like a normal psycommu system, was probably too big to be able to fit onto a normal-sized mobile suit at the time (especially given the tech behind, being only 3 years after the OYW, and the Neue Ziel unable to be built before it ended).
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
balofo

An obscure one: Blue Destiny line MSes use wired controlled missiles. EXVS did their homework on this one, but I don't know if it was on the original Saturn games nor have seen lineart for the missiles. Might be an HGUC detail that made into EXVS, though

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/588/h80mb0002.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img194/6396/h80mb0001.jpg

The paragraph mentions the reason to use wired missiles is Minovsky interference(needs a better translation!)

No relation to the EXAM system
BrentD15

balofo wrote:An obscure one: Blue Destiny line MSes use wired controlled missiles. EXVS did their homework on this one, but I don't know if it was on the original Saturn games nor have seen lineart for the missiles. Might be an HGUC detail that made into EXVS, though

The paragraph mentions the reason to use wired missiles is Minovsky interference(needs a better translation!)

Wired missles?
You mean like T.O.W. missles?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Xenosynth

BrentD15 wrote:
balofo wrote:An obscure one: Blue Destiny line MSes use wired controlled missiles. EXVS did their homework on this one, but I don't know if it was on the original Saturn games nor have seen lineart for the missiles. Might be an HGUC detail that made into EXVS, though

Wired missles?
You mean like T.O.W. missles?
The way Extreme Vs shows it work as literal wires, cables attached to the missiles which hold them back as they slowly go towards their target, and releasing at the optimum time to hit the target. Basically, it allows it to redirect the missiles slowly without having to worry about them just flying forward as well as having the ability to change direction of the missile more accurately before the wires release them.
Dark Duel

So, basically missile versions of wire-guided torpedoes like the Mk48 ADCAP. That's...kinda interesting.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
AmuroNT1

That's not really that amazing. The Gundam [G] 6-tube missile launcher uses wired missiles, and if you go back to the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam you can see a Federation missile truck use them during its vain attempt to hold off the Zakus in Side 7.

It's part and parcel of the Minovski interference; "smart" missiles are totally boned by the radar scrambling, so they ended up going back to "dumb" missiles, rocket-propelled grenades, and wired missiles.

As for Blue Destiny, the ExVs depiction with the "cable cut" is AFAIK just a game mechanic to make things interesting.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

AmuroNT1 wrote:The Gundam [G] 6-tube missile launcher uses wired missiles
Source? Not on lineart and not in animation for sure.