Gundam ZZ: The Bigness of Things

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Gundam ZZ: The Bigness of Things

Since we've been talking a bit about Gundam ZZ mobile suits, here's some nerdy fun: A size lineup of most of the major machines from this series (with a couple of their Gundam Sentinel cousins thrown in for comparison).

http://www.ultimatemark.com/gundam/imag ... lineup.jpg

I measured these more or less from their heels, as in the official Gundam 0083 size comparisons. In some cases, they're drawn in a more exaggerated stance that makes it hard to tell where to measure from (especially the Hamma Hamma). Since I can't tell exactly where the Bawoo's head ends and its antenna starts, I scaled it based on its overall height.

Although the base weights for these machines are all over the map, their full weight specs correlate pretty well to their actual bulk. The one glaring exception is the Bawoo, which is more in the size range of Gryps Conflict machines, and thus comes off looking about ten tons overweight.

-- Mark
Red Comet90

Re: Gundam ZZ: The Bigness of Things

They generally look to match, except for the Zaku III vs. the Gazu-R. The Gazu is shorter and seems lighter than the Zaku III unless the weight on the picture you linked is the base weight.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
toysdream

The Gaz R is an outlier, to be sure. It's basically the same machine as the Galbaldy Beta, which has a full weight of only 56.9 tons. But by some accounts, the Gaz was originally produced during the One Year War and subsequently overhauled at Axis, in which case it would be more comparable to the other vintage machines we see in ZZ - that's why I put it next to the ReGelgu.

As for why the Federation version of the Galbaldy Beta is so much lighter than the Axis version, that gets us into the mystery of One Year War specs, which is a whole other topic. :-)

-- Mark
BlackLion

I'd like to see the EX-S on there as well, just to see how it stacked up.
toysdream

As requested! I've added the S and Ex-S Gundam, as well as a certain bonus item. :-)

-- Mark
Red Comet90

The bonus item has no official weight? That's odd.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
toysdream

No official weight or dimensions. I had to scale it more or less by eye - I ended up going by the length of the booster units, which is roughly 12.8 meters according to the HG-UC and MG kits. (A bit less going by the line art, but I think the kits are a better guide because the transformation has to work.)

-- Mark
Strike Zero

toysdream wrote:Since I can't tell exactly where the Bawoo's head ends and its antenna starts, I scaled it based on its overall height.
Huh. So does this mean that a mobile suit's "head height" does not take into account things like antennae or V-fins, despite the fact that they're attached to the head?

All this time I was under the impression of the opposite.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
toysdream

Nope. That's generally factored into "overall height". "Head height" is just the crown of the head; this usually seems to include camera crests, but not things like the Gelgoog's snazzy head fin.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

Thanks for the graph Mark.

If possible, could you please add the missing non-standard Neo Zeon MS: the AMA-01X Jamru Fin, AMX-007 Gaza E and AMX-109 Capule?

Although the ReGelg and Gazu R most be around the same size as the machines they are based on, the Gelgoog and Galbaldy series, the Dreissen and Zaku III are noticeably bigger than their OYW ancestors. This seems odd considering that these two are also supposed to be closely related to their predecessors.
toysdream

I've added the Capule, and made my best attempt at scaling the Gaza E and Jamru Fin (which was pretty tough given their exaggerated foot positions). I've also started a new row for the OVA versions of the Gundam Unicorn mobile suits; at some point I'll have to add the Char's Counterattack stuff to fill in the chronological gap. :-)

Purely FYI, it looks like the ReZEL's mega beam launcher adds 2.3 tons to its full weight. (Since it replaces the standard rifle, the weight of the launcher itself would be somewhat higher.) This is the only real difference between the Nahel Argama and General Revil versions of the RGZ-95C, and since the RGZ-95 and RGZ-95C have the exact same specs with the b-Unit installed, it seems like the equipment options are the only variable in the weights of all these ReZEL variants.

And yes, the Dreissen and Zaku III are pretty huge - a distinct notch up from even the R-Jarja and Galluss-J. It's a big jump, but the sheer size of machines like the Dreissen and Doven Wolf does help explain why they can carry such a disproportionate amount of propellant.

-- Mark
InjuredPelican

Thanks for another cool mecha comparison chart. Its odd though that you included Unicorn era machines, but not the actual Unicorn Gundam. It would be nice to see it and Banshee on there.

Also, have you ever done a chart for Gundams across the UC timeline? To see Nu absolutely dwarf F91 and Victory Gundam would be interesting.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
toysdream

I'll add some more Unicorn (and CCA) machines for the next round. I keep second-guessing myself about exactly where to plant the feet on the baseline - if you look at the line art for things like The O or the Sazabi, you'll see how this becomes pretty challenging in some cases!

As for F91 and V Gundam, I guess the good news is that they wouldn't take up a lot of space. :-)

-- Mark
HalfDemonInuyasha

InjuredPelican wrote:Thanks for another cool mecha comparison chart. Its odd though that you included Unicorn era machines, but not the actual Unicorn Gundam. It would be nice to see it and Banshee on there.

Also, have you ever done a chart for Gundams across the UC timeline? To see Nu absolutely dwarf F91 and Victory Gundam would be interesting.
Yeah, the closest we get to such size comparison in-series is, that I recall anyway, F91 when you see Heavyguns standing in front of Jegans in launch hangers. The Heavygun's head, IIRC, only reached up to the cockpit area of the Jegan in the torso, lol. (The Jegan at 19 meters/62.3 feet tall and the Heavygun at 15.8 meters/51.8 feet tall; a good ten feet shorter, lol.)

So yeah, seeing the 23 meter/75 foot tall Nu Gundam standing besides the 15.2 meter (49.8 feet) and 15.5 meter (50.8 feet) tall F91 and Victory 2 (respectively) would be pretty amusing to see.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
PowerdGNFlag

Probably something similar to this would be great.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
MechLife

^ That is too good for words