Wing Self Detonate

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Heero

Wing Self Detonate

Hi Guys

Firstable forgive me for my bad English language

i have been thinking in this for a lot of time .. when Heero self detonate the Wing in
Episode 10 in Gundam Wing it did a hole explosion but that explosion was difference from
the others gundams like Quatre when he self detonate Sandrock and Zechs when he
self detonate Tallgese .. in the last two detonate the explosion was bigger than Wing
explosion and it carry with it some mobile suits around the gundam .. so what's the
difference between the explosion of Wing and the other two ?!

BTW even Mercuries self detonate was a lot bigger than wing detonate
Quiddity

Re: Wing Self Detonate

Probably for plot purposes, nothing more, as the rebuilding of the Gundam was part of the storyline for the next half a dozen episodes or so. The Sandrock self-detonation didn't appear to result in the complete destruction of the Gundam either (just a few episodes later Oz was rebuilding it as well) and that it appeared to be bigger was probably for dramatic effect and to ensure that the Gundam pilots got into space with Oz after them at the spaceport. Mercurius and Tallgeese were built at seperate times so that could have something to do with it.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
J-Lead

I'll bite.

I think the self detonation does a fantastic job of wrecking the functionality of the mobile suit itself and creatin a nice big ol boom, but since Gundanium has such a high stress tolerance, the armor (the hardest part to reproduce) remains half-intact.

That's how I wank it, anyway.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
AmuroNT1

What J-Lead said, PLUS Endless Waltz says the self-destruct system was made to kill the pilots, PLUS the often overlooked fact that Heero was unconscious for a month, during which Zechs was rebuilding the Gundam.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Arsarcana

I suppose you could posit a variable power setting on the self-destruct ranging from 'Just make the suit as worthless to the other side as you can' to 'Blow up the suit and take a few of the enemy with me' and there is some indication this is the case since Endless Waltz suggests that if the three Gundams self destructed they could take a good chunk of the Serpents with them. Contrast this to when they actually blow up, in a park, right outside the city, with the pilots standing apparently pretty close and there's not much obvious disruption to the surrounding real estate. Still, with the wide differences seen it's pretty safe to assume Rule of Drama is the root cause and any given destruct has exactly the secondary effects the writers felt necessary.
Heero

very good opinions , thanks guys ..
DoubleZero

I always thought Wing's Self-destruct system malfunctioned or something with all the hell it went through the first 2 episodes and being repaired only by Heero himself. Maybe it would be clearer on the GoL manga.
"Rush hour, during the Dark hour..."
AmuroNT1

Well, in Episode Zero the mechanics fool around with the self destruct because (IIRC) Heero had it tied into the suicide bomb in his astro suit. Maybe that had something to do with it.

(Sadly I don't have EZ handy to make absolutely certain what was said.)
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Captain Anonymous

Noin in examining the wreckage of the Wing Gundam, states something to effect of all the important parts were destroyed. (I think episode 11 of the series.)
So I'd wager the nature of the Wing Gundam's self detonation was just that, to destroy the important parts.
The only reason Zechs was able to restore it to working order was that he had the Tallgeese as a basis to go off of, and I'd wager OZ used the same principle to do the same with Sandrock. (It's possible some of Zechs' mechanics could have been involed, but that's just speculation.)
Heero, despite being able to pop bones in place and having super human endurance, was pretty messed up by the explosion, so I'd wager it was meant to kill the pilot as well.
FordR

I'm actually doing a rewatch of the series and I was thinking about that while doing so.

The best I could come up with is that it was damaged from before when Duo stabbed it underwater, and later when Heero did all the repairs with Duo's parts he just didn't fix it entirely or something.

As stated it was operational enough to destroy all the important bits so *shrugs*.
AKA- TheTrueYup
Nosferatu

FordR wrote:The best I could come up with is that it was damaged from before when Duo stabbed it underwater
Wing was damaged by Zechs using his Leo's dober gun, and Duo was using the beam scythe to turn off Wing's self-destruct sequence at the time. It hardly looked like a stab, especially Duo clearly lowered the scythe's power output so as not to damage Wing any further. Besides, Duo saw no point in attacking Wing since he was planning to salvage it for spare parts.
The most dangerous people in the world are those who ask questions; giving answers is not nearly as threatening. Any one question can be more explosive than a thousand answers. -- Alberto Knox, SOPHIE'S WORLD