The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk II

According to this scan, the new Gundam is indeed called the AGE-FX.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

According to /m/ (in other words dump some salt on this) translations, FX is having 14 funnels and is slated to be released in August, probably to tie in with the Age games.
Turn-X isn't a Gundam though
WHAT?
Arsarcana

It's not. Do you see 'Gundam' in its name anywhere? The fact that it's brother MS is a Gundam doesn't make it one.

Also, no need to trust 4chan translations, you can just look at the recently provided image and either squint at the accessory list in the bottom right or count the number of pieces attached to the display stand. Either way you get fourteen (eight short and six long).
DuelGundam2099

What do you mean, of course Turn X is a gundam! Let me just find some proof somewhere.

*searches* *keeps searching* searches harder* frantically searches*

All these years.... Well, I look silly. :( :lol:
Wingnut

So far the AGE-3 itself has failed to impress me compared to its predecessors. Heck, even the mass produced Clanche seems more effective in combat then the Gundam. There just doesn't seem to be enough there for a machine of its size and bulk. It's got two beam sabers and a BFG. While plenty for any Gundam with a normal build, something as bulky as the AGE-3 should have more going for it. Even the often compared to ZZ had more base weapons to use even not counting the head high mega cannon.

The Fortress wear provides a semi-fix to the problem by loading four durable heavy beam cannons, but the Orbital only gives it a new rifle with a longer barrel (with a nifty homing effect, but I digress). High mobility will only get you so far without the ability to defeat the more difficult enemies who can move just as fast (read: about every other named character) that one is bound to encounter. Case in point today with him being unable to even come close to landing a hit on Zeheart, never mind the other guy.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
balofo

Ebikawa needs to concentrate on FMP! and never design again for a Gundam series. Exia and Reborns were his masterpieces, the AGE designs are boring, minimalistic and under armed.
GNRoyalFlash24

IMO, the Orbital was satisfactory on its own as a mobile suit in the Age universe alone
but, compared to other UC or AU suits it pales in comparison when it comes to weaponry and effects.
Chris
Administrator

balofo wrote:Ebikawa needs to concentrate on FMP! and never design again for a Gundam series. Exia and Reborns were his masterpieces, the AGE designs are boring, minimalistic and under armed.
So you'd prefer getting rid of Ebikawa after he's worked on two series, and then what? Bring back Okawara and his endless recycling of former glory?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Amion

balofo wrote:Ebikawa needs to concentrate on FMP! and never design again for a Gundam series. Exia and Reborns were his masterpieces, the AGE designs are boring, minimalistic and under armed.
I actually love the Orbital. IMO I think it has a decent amount of weapons. And besides, we only saw it for one ep, so there is still time for it to blast away more Danazines and such.

And I certainally like the AGE designs more than those in 00, at least as far as the grunt suits. But again, I think the AGE-3 is my favorite Gundam in the franchise so far, next to my beloved Forbidden, which is the only Okawara design I liked.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
GNRoyalFlash24

But weren't the design of the 00 gundams minimalistic in a sense that their armor is somewhat seamless (no clear sign of segmentation), their weapons are dual purpose but contribute less mass.
SonicSP

I personally love Ebikawa so I'm hoping he'd get to stick around for another AU or two. I just wish that he included a non melee specific wear in at least one of AGE-1's three know alternate wears.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Let's bring Shoji Kawamori back for another series, yes? :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dendrobium Stamen

I'd put my vote in for Katoki; the mass-produced MS of Wing are a very close second to those in 00 on my "top grunts" list.

On a related note, I do agree that AGE-3 is a bit of an oddity; we're told the AGE System uses real-world combat data to design and develop new weapon systems to fit the needs of the situation - as demonstrated by the Titus and Spallow equipment for AGE-1 - but at present I'm not quite sure how AGE-3 fits into that.

We saw with its failed Blustia Cannon that the system doesn't do too well without "live" data to work from, so is it possible that AGE-3 in its entirety is an example of this? AGE-1 seemed to be the "base" model, designed to outmatch known Vagan designs of its era, with additional equipment to adapt to changing circumstances; AGE-2 adapted by improving the firepower and mobility of the design, the Double Bullet form especially; without additional gear, AGE-3's only innovation over its predecessors seems to be improving pilot/equipment survivability with the combination system.

Admittedly, the Fortress and Orbital parts do seem to improve it, but its "naked" form seems somewhat lacking compared to the previous Asuno family heirlooms...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
SonicSP

Personally for me, I'd thought AGE-3 Normal have been a lot more impressive than the AGE-2 Normal which performances I was very disappointed with in Gen 2. The AGE-3F was also quite great, having such a surprising amount of mobility for something so bulky combined with all that firepower. I guess not being able to fly is a fair tradeoff. AGE-3O however has been a bit underwhelming in the last episode, I know it's a high mobility type with a homing beam but that bulky feel of the AGE-3 kinda screams it to have more raw power than that.

I will also say that the lack of a transformation mode to switch around based on situations is really a downgrade. I'm also sort of disappointed that the Wears aren't getting their own pilots too, because I think they might contribute in battle on their own given their armaments even when not connected to the Core Fighter.
GNRoyalFlash24

Dendrobium Stamen wrote:Admittedly, the Fortress and Orbital parts do seem to improve it, but its "naked" form seems somewhat lacking compared to the previous Asuno family heirlooms...
I think the reason for the Age-3 Normal's lack of specialization or uniqueness was bought by the disappearance of the Age-2.
Since even if the Age system would suggest an upgrade in firepower and armor for the A-3 Normal, if the A-2 was still intact and collecting data for Flit to have a basis for designing the 3rd suit, the A-3 Normal could have a different appearance from what is shown in the anime.
SonicSP

I wrote this to edit into my last post but it seems I got ninja's a bit, I guess I'll post it here:
Dendrobium Stamen wrote:We saw with its failed Blustia Cannon that the system doesn't do too well without "live" data to work from, so is it possible that AGE-3 in its entirety is an example of this?
While I'm of the opinion that the AGE-3 has mostly performed splendid so far from what I have seen on the anime, I guess if one would like to theorize on a possible reason on why it's not performing as well might be because the AGE-2 went missing only 11 years after the start of Asemu's Arc.

We don't know whether the AGE Core was equipped to another suit in the mean time but knowing Flit probably won't let anyone but an Asuno to pilot it with the AGE System present. He's already high up in the ranks and he has to spend some time as the Commander In Chief, which I reckon doesn't involve much piloting. That the AGE System is not equipped on a suit used on an active basis might suggest that it's getting less battle time than the AGE-1 did, which I reckon probably got decent outing time since Flit was lower ranked back then and is less further from a position where he would have piloted it regularly (before he packed it into the barn that is).
quasadra

i did like to add that Age-3O is up against Ghirarga, which has a stick that can change into various beam melee weapon, a tail for extra melee option, a chest blaster that is pretty much in the beam cannon category, conjure beam orbs that result in a beam missile spam, and finally in Zeheart's own word, not lacking in the speed department. i think we can cut the Orbital some slack when it went up against something of this caliber in its debut.

and as far as i see it, Orbital is an excellent MS to kite opponent with. perhaps Kio needs more time to familarize himself with Orbital. though it seems Kio is using the piloting tactic of Fortress in Orbital, understandable giving his success with Fortress. then again, he is not an instant expert when Fortress debuted too.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Outlaw

Chris wrote:Bring back Okawara and his endless recycling of former glory?
Once again I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this one with you. I think it's less about purposeful recycling of former glory and more along the lines of that's just his style. Though I do agree that after about 30 or so years the poor guy is probably tapped out and deserves a break.

As for Ebikawa, I think we still haven't seen everything up his sleeve and it'd be a shame (and short sighted) to dismiss him over one or two arguably lackluster designs.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
DuelGundam2099

I wouldn't mind Okawara coming back.

Also, what is this I am reading about Age Gundam not performing well in combat?
schwarz ritter

Chris wrote: Bring back Okawara and his endless recycling of former glory?
Another reason why C.E. wasn't developed properly: Okarawa and his mediocrity.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."