The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Wingnut

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Mecha Thread Mk I

Evex wrote:When I look at the Age-2 transformed I'm reminded of the Flag from Gundam 00. Its probably due to the way the suit looks transformed. The head sits behind the rifle in its mobile armor mode, while the legs seem to swing back. The only difference is that the arms seem to fold back instead of being bent ninety degrees forward.
As a fan of the Flag, I am very okay with this.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
YokozunaBulldozer

We need MG 1/100 AGE-2 ASAP.....PRONTO!
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
DuelGundam2099

Guy 1: Darn it! 00 Gundam isn't Wing-ish enough like the series, we must give it a wave rider mode!
Guy 2: That is outlandishly bold, but it will sell model kits, lets do it next series!

I wouldn't put it behind me that something like this happened during Gundam 00's production and that lead to AGE-2 Gundam.
nacho-wan

DuelGundam2099 wrote:Guy 1: Darn it! 00 Gundam isn't Wing-ish enough like the series, we must give it a wave rider mode!
Guy 2: That is outlandishly bold, but it will sell model kits, lets do it next series!

I wouldn't put it behind me that something like this happened during Gundam 00's production and that lead to AGE-2 Gundam.
Sure and the next logical evolution would be ZZ Ham (AGE-3)? Because fans love ZZ over Wing...
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
quasadra

taking a look at those MA pics of Age 2. it do seems the legs and tail unit might have some thruster. especially the bottom of the feet. and since the tail unit locks into the torso, i guess thats why it has no thruster in the back.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Laevatein

quasadra wrote: yes, i am. guess we will not know for sure until its debut. then again, for a hi-speed unit like that, i thought it would at least has 1 thruster on the back.
You don't need to wait that long. We already know where its primary thrusters are.

AGE-2 Feet

While uncolored, it's pretty obvious that the square depression is meant to be a thruster, rather identical in style to the Arios and Harute. And in Strider mode, said location matches exactly to the very rear of the MS.

See here.

So yes, it does have thrusters.

As for the transformation style of the AGE-2, there is actually one mobile suit in the Gundam franchise that almost matches the transformation style of the AGE-2 perfectly: The ORX-005 Gaplant from Zeta Gundam right to the way the arms are over the legs during transformation, the position of the head and the body alignment. The Gaplant doesn't have a beam rifle form the nose, but that's a minor technicality.
Gone Astray

Laevatein wrote:AGE-2 Feet

While uncolored, it's pretty obvious that the square depression is meant to be a thruster, rather identical in style to the Arios and Harute. And in Strider mode, said location matches exactly to the very rear of the MS.

See here.
The lower legs also fold open, and I can see some grey bits in there from that picture of Strider mode. I'd hazard a guess there would be more thrusters in there.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
quasadra

@Laevatein:
in the post above you, i wrote:it do seems the legs and tail unit might have some thruster. especially the bottom of the feet.
still, thanks for pointing it out in detail. :D
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Arbiter GUNDAM

I wonder what makes the Diva's photon cannon so much better than a regular beam cannon?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Wingnut

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I wonder what makes the Diva's photon cannon so much better than a regular beam cannon?
Maybe it's like the Archangel's Lohengrin compared to the regular main beam guns.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Deathzealot

Wingnut wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I wonder what makes the Diva's photon cannon so much better than a regular beam cannon?
Maybe it's like the Archangel's Lohengrin compared to the regular main beam guns.
That is what I was thinking. Granted the Lohengrin is a Positron Cannon, and this appears to be some sort of Photon Cannon. It maybe similar but I don't think they are the same thing.
Evex

I'm not a physicist, so I just grabbed the definition for photon and positron off of Merriam Websters website.

Definition of PHOTON

1: a unit of intensity of light at the retina equal to the illumination received per square millimeter of a pupillary area from a surface having a brightness of one candle per square meter

2: a quantum of electromagnetic radiation

Definition of Positron

: a positively charged particle having the same mass and magnitude of charge as the electron and constituting the antiparticle of the electron —called also antielectron

So in simple terms a photon cannon seems to fire light, while a positron cannon fires anti-matter. At least I think that's correct.
Deathzealot

Basically, yes. The Lohengrin is sometimes called the Positron Anti-Matter Cannon or something like that I don't remember.
Dark Duel

On the issue of the Lohengrin, let me quote directly from GundamOfficial:
Positron Blaster Cannon
An energy weapon which fires a beam of positrons, the antimatter counterparts of electrons. When the positrons in the beam strike the electrons in the target, the particles annihilate each other in a burst of gamma rays. Thus, the positron blaster cannon literally disintegrates the matter of which its target is composed, and the resulting gamma ray radiation is also highly destructive.

The two Lohengrin cannons installed in the front "legs" of the Earth Alliance warship Archangel are weapons of this type, as is the Tannhauser cannon used by the ZAFT warship Minerva.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Midi_Amp

New mobile suits,

Atel and Dorado (a bit on the bottom, I don't know how to post image).

http://blog.yahoo.com/cybergundam/articles/595928/index

Atel seems like Genoace + Gundam AGE-1. Compared to the AGE-1 it has simplified backpack, similar thigh and hip, beefier leg (like), overall much better proportion than the Genoace.

Dorado seems like an upgrade to the Gafran? Doesn't look like it can transform though, but liking the dual shield action pose.

The first gen mobile suit design is a bit hit or miss to me. I like the G-Exes, the Spallow and the Gafran, the others seems overly generic or weird (Genoace proportion). The AGE-2, Atel and Dorado seems like a design homerun for me although I don't like the MA mode of the AGE-2, at least much the debut MS design is better than the first three units that debut with the anime (AGE-1, Gafran, Genoace). I'm beginning to suspect that the design was a deliberate, to show weighted visual progression along the series. If that's the case, whoo boy, it totally works for me.
Homeless

"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
ChroniK

"They have been waiting all this time. Waiting while time stood still around them. However, time has begun to flow again. Because of Cardeas Vist's actions." - Full Frontal
Gundam0089

It's a shame the Genoace II is just a recolored version of the Genaoce Custom. For all intents and purposes, the Adel is the true Genoace II.
SonicSP

Gundam0089 wrote:It's a shame the Genoace II is just a recolored version of the Genaoce Custom. For all intents and purposes, the Adel is the true Genoace II.
One could argue that Genoace II is more of a "Genoace" than the Adele is though, especially since the Adele seems to take more from the AGE-1 than the Genoace, some similar stlying are probably the result of being a general EFF mass production unit than it being from the Genoace in general.

Genoace II name fits IMO, its more of an update than anything and its likely something you can turn all the Genoaces into (much like the GN-Xs from 00, all of them can be upgraded into the next generation and has similar design structures). The Adele seems to be of a different design (its designed by Ebikawa for one rather than Teraoka) and has a different build/figure and more closely resemble the AGE-1 is structure than the more larger Genoace. They can call it the Genoace II if they wanted but its going to have far less connections to the predecessor and be a seperate machine.

If you look at it in a certain way, the unique Custom may be considered a "prototype" of the II of sorts and the new beam rifle might be the new technological step up that can make it vastly superior to its predecessor. That being said, I don't think the II's color scheme help give that element of "newness" to the lineage.

I say its all about branding, which can be a rather subjective field. The Adele is a "new" mass production model likely derived from the AGE-1 so a "new" name is not unfitting while the Genoace II for all intents and purposes is an updated Genoace so keeping the Genoace name makes sense. If what I said about the Genoace II suit being upgradable as a kit from the Genoace while the Adele are built from the groundup are true, the current name makes even more sense as it also shows a functional separation between the two models.

I am sort of liking how it might now seem everything effective in damaging the UE seems to be derived from the AGE-1 (G-Exes, and likely the Adele and the Genoace II as well because of their rifle designs). I just wish they'd release us more mechanical details of the AGE-1. Maybe the DODS Rifle could just indeed be the most definitive piece of beam technology developed that helped in the fight against the UE, as it appears like the Adele and the II seems to be using a gun of a similar design while the G-Exes is currently doing the same (with the spiral effect to boot).
Koshernova

The more I look at pictures of the AGE-2 the more I fall in love with it. That is one gorgeous design. I'm not too sold on the transformation, but I commend it for not being yet another Waverider (as it's been pointed out, it's more of a Flag).

I felt the AGE-1 was really generic, so seeing Ebikawa back to the interesting, dynamic designs he did for 00 is refreshing. May even get the MG, which is a big deal since I don't buy kits anymore.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."