AoZ: The Traitor to Destiny Mechanics

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Re: AoZ2: Rebels Against Time Mechanics

Bazookafied wrote:Anaheim running a war on both fronts... that's a major point in Zeta to begin with. The original AoZ focused on test machines for the Titans with parts sent from Anaheim. AoZ 2 looks to be looking at the other side of the coin. It looks like this Keraunos Squad is a hush-hush place for them to start.
It's what they've done since 0083 really, all the way through CCA until SNRI came in the UC 0100s and stole away most of their design contracts with the F90 series.

And on that note, it's no surprise that it's possible that it's left-over Gundam Development Project pieces, given Anaheim was hired by the Federation to design and produce them in the first place, so of course they'd probably have designs (or incomplete units) lying around to use in their own way.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
J-Lead

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:
Bazookafied wrote:Anaheim running a war on both fronts... that's a major point in Zeta to begin with. The original AoZ focused on test machines for the Titans with parts sent from Anaheim. AoZ 2 looks to be looking at the other side of the coin. It looks like this Keraunos Squad is a hush-hush place for them to start.
It's what they've done since 0083 really, all the way through CCA until SNRI came in the UC 0100s and stole away most of their design contracts with the F90 series.

And on that note, it's no surprise that it's possible that it's left-over Gundam Development Project pieces, given Anaheim was hired by the Federation to design and produce them in the first place, so of course they'd probably have designs (or incomplete units) lying around to use in their own way.
I can see the Gundam Gerbera entering the mix only on the unlikely condition that they had a significant amount of parts for it lying around from before they switched it's development to the Tetra, and even then, it'd be risky for Anaheim (assuming that is indeed our mysterious sponsor) as I'm sure there are at least a few Federation officers that know of the GP04G and it's fate as a rejected design, Kowen be damned. As for the Tetra itself, it's doubtful, as we all know the fate of that machine (though the Tetra Kai or some other derivative of the Gundam Gerbera an interesting scenario...)
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Bazookafied

It wouldn't be unheard of for them t reuse design elements like that of the Gerbera Tetra on some other machine. However, the designs we've seen given to Keraunos thus far have been based on existing Federation Machines. Then again... the Gerbera Tetra was built off of a Gundam-type machine (GP04G), so it's possible that there might be other Zeonic-esque designs that were intended to be built off of other Federation models.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Well, I mostly just link the Gerbera (Tetra) in that Anaheim is known for taking (half) existing units and modifying them for themselves. And for such a modification to take place, there would've had to have been quite a bit of the Gerbera already constructed before it was dropped by the Federation, IMO. A frame or something at the very least.

With the Gundam Development Project scrapped and everything regarding them during the Delaz Conflict erased, Anaheim was pretty much free to do with whatever was left however they wanted, even if other Federation officials knew of their existence as the Federation couldn't legally claim them without dredging up all that again. I mean, the Federation hired them to do design and produce them and once they told them, "We don't need you to do this anymore", well, it would've more or less have become Anaheim's property as the Federation doesn't control their business after the fact.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
toysdream

With the important disclaimer that the new "Advance of Zeta" serial has not yet explicitly stated that the "sponsor" that provided the Wagtail parts is actually Anaheim, something occurs to me...

Looking at the Wagtail, it seems like the new parts most likely come from the GP01Fb (i.e. the shoulders) and the GP03S (i.e. the backpack). Meanwhile, it's been long rumored that the Rick Dias is based on the GP02A frame. Since the GP01 and GP03 were developed by a different branch of Anaheim than the GP02A, perhaps our various anti-Titans groups are working with different subsections of the company? In any case, it's nice to see all the leftover Gundam Development Project designs accounted for. :-)

-- Mark
Bazookafied

I had never thought of that point, Mark. As large of a company that Anahiem is, part of the "mystery" of this sponsor could be that while they might not be Anahiem directly, that they could make up a portion of it. Under the guise of "disposing" of unused designs, they're really just supplying Anti-Federation groups like Keraunos.

As for what portion of Anahiem may be sponsoring it, they do state the bit about unused designs of the Next-Gen suit. In the first installment of AoZ, in the development tree we see the "Next Generation MP" unit listed as part of the Hazel Series. It's essentially a watered down Hazel with the Mk II backpack, shield, and rifle, along with leg thrusters that strongly resemble those of the Alex. The leg thrusters on the Wagtail harken back to that design (at least to me). With that lineage in mind... there's a lot of history to these pre-Zeta era suits with even more depth to their designs than I previously thought.
toysdream

Bazookafied wrote:As for what portion of Anahiem may be sponsoring it, they do state the bit about unused designs of the Next-Gen suit. In the first installment of AoZ, in the development tree we see the "Next Generation MP" unit listed as part of the Hazel Series. It's essentially a watered down Hazel with the Mk II backpack, shield, and rifle, along with leg thrusters that strongly resemble those of the Alex. The leg thrusters on the Wagtail harken back to that design (at least to me).
Technically, that's labeled as "Next Generation Prototype" (it doesn't say "mass production"). It's just a prototype mockup for the Gundam Mark II, based on a GM Quel frame. According to the caption in the development chart, it was designed for use in the development of the Titans' next-generation mobile suit, so it would be chronologically impossible for it to have anything to do with the Gundam Development Project. (For that matter, even the basic GM Quel doesn't roll out until after the GDP has been canceled.)

Later on the development chart, we see a "Next Generation Mass Production Prototype" which is based on the Advanced Hazel. This would have to be a Zeta-era design, and it seems to be intended as an ancestor of the Barzam.

In other words, it seems like every couple of years the Federation starts throwing piles of money at a new "next generation" development project, none of which ever results in a successful new line of mobile suits. I guess it's just a plot device to justify inventing shiny new Gundams. :-)

-- Mark
Bazookafied

Ahh, see... that's what happens when I get excited about designs and throw Chronology out the window. Still, the fact that both "Next Gen" suits, the one in AoZ 2 that was put in the GM Type C and the Next Gen Prototype that I was referencing before both use leg thruster designs similar to the NT-1. These GM Variations in AoZ 2 are still pulling quite a few design elements from other models. To me, that kind of drives home more of the link to Anaheim, not to mention our theory of seperate smaller design groups within Anaheim at work.
toysdream

The Wagtail's leg thrusters are certainly interesting! The thrusters on the back of the leg seem to resemble those of the GP01Fb, but the inside and outside of the leg don't really look like that machine. The inside of the leg is a bit reminiscent of the Alex, not to mention Katoki's version of the RX-78-4, and the outside of the leg actually reminds me of Katoki's version of the Zeta Gundam.

It's kind of a grab-bag of various influences, and I'm not sure quite what we're supposed to be reminded of. Maybe this will become clear with future upgrades. :-)

-- Mark
Bazookafied

Perhaps that's the overall feel they're trying to achieve with these designs in general... that they're not just pulling an element from one source, but from a larger array of influences. I would be interested to know what the original design was supposed to be, as they made it sound as if the GM Type C was not intended to be the recipient of these upgrade parts. Additionally, when they made the upgrades to the Hazel series, the base GM Quel had to be upgraded to support these parts. I wonder if they've made similar adjustments to these suits.
JEFFPIATT

Frankly the wagtail is a combat ready version of the powered GM that implements design elements from various late RX-78 series MS models parts are taken from the GP01 and Alex mostly. the shoulders actually look more like the RGM-79N shoulder armor the FB only had the flairs on them while the GM custom had a thruster system in it. The new feature seems to be the additional beam sabers. if anything we may see a refitted version of the GP03s show up remodeled in to a GM like form. the tetra looks to have been completed on the lower legs and the upper body was given a full zeonic style remodel it's ecap design ends up resembling the one later used the the later RX-178 beam rifle. that could be how AE could have been able to build new ecaps for the captured unit. This actually give some insight in to the early formation of the AEUG/Kalaba factions of zeta where the original AOZ stuck to the evolution of the Titans.
Enileph

Well, Wagtail is considered to be a "temporary" Custom unit, using various parts at hand to create a fast and mobile MS. So its not too surprise to see influences from various AE projects. BTW, model parts of Wagtail is coming up with a future issue of the Magazine!!

OH, on the side note. Can anyone make a summary of the AoZ2 story? I have the translated version of the DH ... but they only have HALF the story, the rest is on the website gundam.info, which is in japanese. So, can someone give me pointers of a summary? (basically I only need summary/translation of the gundam.info website parts)
Bazookafied

I didn't notice this until I looked closer at the GM Cannon II variant, but there is a slight change to the antennae arrangement on the head of the suit. I suppose that would fall under the "special equipment" listing for it. Is there any hints as to what exactly this change achieves?
toysdream

Hey, just wanted to mention: I was looking at the novel chapters posted on gundam.info, and they actually explain quite a lot about the origins of the Wagtail. It turns out that most of the parts provided by the mysterious "sponsor" and used in this machine are actually spinoffs from the GM III project, which would probably explain those leg boosters.

The timing seems to make sense; the Wagtail is completed in June of U.C. 0086, which syncs up with the "RGM-86" designation of the GM III. Presumably this is a very early stage of the project, which then dragged on for a couple more years before producing the machine we see in Gundam ZZ.

-- Mark
Homeless

"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Bazookafied

RX-106E Hi-Zack [Vanargand] debuted in the latest chapter of AoZ 2. I, for one, am thrilled with the obvious nods to Titans Test Team designs, with the inclusion of the Hazel's backpack, beam rifle double e-caps, and just a general overall design sense from that of AoZ 1. Haven't seen anything confirmed, but I'm willing to bet Fujioka designed this fella.

Needless to say, I'm a fan!
toysdream wrote:Hey, just wanted to mention: I was looking at the novel chapters posted on gundam.info, and they actually explain quite a lot about the origins of the Wagtail. It turns out that most of the parts provided by the mysterious "sponsor" and used in this machine are actually spinoffs from the GM III project, which would probably explain those leg boosters.

The timing seems to make sense; the Wagtail is completed in June of U.C. 0086, which syncs up with the "RGM-86" designation of the GM III. Presumably this is a very early stage of the project, which then dragged on for a couple more years before producing the machine we see in Gundam ZZ.

-- Mark
GM III ties? No wonder they were "forcibly added" to the Type C. That's quite the timespan between those two machines, so I would imagine adding that kind of equipment to the Type C wouldn't be easy. Are there any other notable mentions pertaining to the other suits in AoZ 2 thus far?
flamingtroll

According the description in the lineart. The "Flexible Booster" on RX-106E can use its raw power for temporary atmospheric flight/glide/hover, sorta like Aile pack on the strike
toysdream

Bazookafied wrote: Haven't seen anything confirmed, but I'm willing to bet Fujioka designed this fella.
You guessed it! This is confirmed in one of the captions. :-)

Personally, I'm intrigued that it's labeled as an "RX-106" variation. Is this a nod to the RX-106 described in that old Marine Hizack kit manual? How does it relate to the YRMS-106 from the original Advance of Zeta? The captions here don't explain it, but maybe the novel text will shed some light.
Are there any other notable mentions pertaining to the other suits in AoZ 2 thus far?
I'll go look. :-)

-- Mark
JEFFPIATT

unless someone went back and noticed how dumb it was to make up yet another Federation prototype code and sunrise is reverting back to RX-106 for the early hi-zack.
DeltasTaii

I have a feeling that if this appears after the final RMS model Hizack, it has this model number because it's an experimental model and there's no relevance to the preproduction Hizack anyways.

The Hazel has an RX number even though it's based on a GM after all. Just don't ask me to justify Bizack, although I'll suggest as most TR units keep the same model number across configurations TTT just doesn't get their wacky experiments redesignated normally (since they tend to get taken back apart immediately anyways).