GN Arms

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Ashoka

GN Arms

Alright, so
I was given the GN Arms Type-E HGUC kit for christmas (yay wife!)
Looking at it, I can't really remember the weapon systems on it (Besides the two massive guns on the top) - nor what the real purpose of it was...

So... can someone give me a quick refresher on it?

(and, if I may ask - an idea what episodes they were used in.. I know it was near the end of season 1)
Something witty coming soon
Wingnut

Re: GN Arms

Setsuna really got the most use out of it in episode 24. Those arms are like the Exia's main weapon as they are both swords and beam guns. The purpose was simply more power. They were facing a much more powerful enemy and they needed the extra boost. The GN Arms could also produce a GN Field too.

Like the METEOR units in Seed/Destiny, it all goes back to the GP-03 and the idea of having a Gundam encased in a much larger weapon system to kick unholy amounts of ass. (At least in theory.)
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Wingnut wrote:Like the METEOR units in Seed/Destiny, it all goes back to the GP-03 and the idea of having a Gundam encased in a much larger weapon system to kick unholy amounts of ass. (At least in theory.)
Subverted hilariously by Gunpla Builders Beginning G, which has a Zaku II wearing a Zakrello GP03-style.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Ashoka

Dark Duel wrote:Subverted hilariously by Gunpla Builders Beginning G, which has a Zaku II wearing a Zakrello GP03-style.
Oh... I need a picture of that ^^ lmao

Thanks for the help Wingnut. :D
PowerdGNFlag

Ashoka wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:Subverted hilariously by Gunpla Builders Beginning G, which has a Zaku II wearing a Zakrello GP03-style.
Oh... I need a picture of that ^^ lmao

Thanks for the help Wingnut. :D
A rough montage (?) of that scene. Note that "Zakurello" had the upper hand over Dendrobium Orchis until Stamen forced the Zaku out.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
radioactive28

Dark Duel wrote: Subverted hilariously by Gunpla Builders Beginning G, which has a Zaku II wearing a Zakrello GP03-style.
This is blasphemy!
Dendrobium Stamen

radioactive28 wrote:This is blasphemy!
THIS! IS! SPARTA!

...Sorry, I had to. Especially when it comes to a montage involving the Gundam that inspired my username ;)

Anyway! As to the topic, the GN Arms: both models do seem to follow the Dendrobium Orchis model of increasing the raw firepower of the MS that plugs into them, allowing for overwhelming firepower in intense combat situations. Of course, the Type-E and Type-D do that in very different ways, with the former focusing on close combat with the large blade "arms", and the latter becoming a gunboat with the mother of all GN Missile racks.

Same end result though, it makes things a lot trickier for the GN-X pilots arrayed against Celestial Being!
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Roche

Well one weapon that hasn't been mentioned yet is the attachments to the feet function as GN claws similar to setup on the Avalanche Exia Dash.
blind_dead_mcjones

Roche wrote:Well one weapon that hasn't been mentioned yet is the attachments to the feet function as GN claws similar to setup on the Avalanche Exia Dash.
that would be because claws on mobile armour platforms are nothing to write home about as nearly all of them have claw arms/legs of some description
Flag Fighter for life!
Kenji

I must say, though, I'm surprised that the 00V series has never shown us a Type-K or Type-V (or Type-N) GN Arms. Seems like such an obvious thing to do, ever since the series acknowledged that variations were designed for the individual Gundams.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Wingnut

The Kyrios IMO was always intended to be the fast one for quick attacks given its usual weapon loadout, so a big and bulky GN Arms would go contrary to that. Plus that last tail booster it used with the beam cannons served it quite well as a heavy weapons add-on.

The Virtue however would have greatly benefited from such a system though given the relatively slow rate of fire it had compared to the other Gundams. Adding more guns would make up for that slow rate by having more guns to be shooting while others are recharging.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Roche

Wingnut wrote:The Virtue however would have greatly benefited from such a system though given the relatively slow rate of fire it had compared to the other Gundams. Adding more guns would make up for that slow rate by having more guns to be shooting while others are recharging.
Nadleeh would also get alot benefit from a GN Arms as well since it would give capabilities more in line with the Virtue and can be done on the battlefield.
Newtype87

Roche wrote:
Wingnut wrote:The Virtue however would have greatly benefited from such a system though given the relatively slow rate of fire it had compared to the other Gundams. Adding more guns would make up for that slow rate by having more guns to be shooting while others are recharging.
Nadleeh would also get alot benefit from a GN Arms as well since it would give capabilities more in line with the Virtue and can be done on the battlefield.
Nadleeh's GN Arms could have even been designed to enhance the area of the Trial System, in addition to the extra weapons.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
reeoyuy

If GN Arms meant to give extra firepower...don't you think that Virtue itself is actually GN Arms type N?
Meteoid

Nadleeh wouldn't need a GN arms since it's main weakness are a lack of offensive weaponry and defense which Virtue provides with GN fields and the bazooka. Also Nadleeh's main purpose is to use the TRIAL system against other Gundams, so it was never designed with large scale battles in mind making a GN arms unit redundant.

I think the main reason that Kyrios and Virtue never got GN arms is because of their mission roles. The GN arms are designed to increase firepower and defense in suit-to-suit and anti ship combat, so it's a frontline unit which is what Exia and Dynames are for. Kyrios' mission role is air support and hit-and-run tactics so, as mentioned above, it doesn't need a large bulky mobile armour to slow it down, the Tail Booster provides the extra weaponry it will need in a fleet battle. Same goes for Virtue whose main task is staying back, holding the line and providing heavy fire support so, in theory Exia and Dynames should be able to stop any units getting to it. Perhaps instead of a GN arms it could have had some extra condensers to increase the amount of firepower it can lay down between recharges.
Roche

reeoyuy wrote:If GN Arms meant to give extra firepower...don't you think that Virtue itself is actually GN Arms type N?
Not really the Virtue was designed to be the main suit out of the two, the GN Arms type N would be just another contingency plan Celestial Being would have developed in case something went wrong much like the TRIAL system and solid blades for Exia in case it needed to fight other GN powered suits even though CB was the only group known to posses GN technology at the time of it's design.
SonicSP

I think the GN Arms are just "heavy weapon" upgrade variants of their respective suits. From a roles perspective, one could argue that Virtue is a permanantly regular use "Heavy weapons" equipment for the Nadleeh with heavy beams and strong GN Field and extra Condensers to handle the extra consumption. The only thing that would be lacking in In Virtue as opposed to a regular GN Arms unit would be thrust power that MA benefit from.

I'm guessing the Tail Booster is also a decent GN Arms type weapon for the Kyrios. Adds more thrust, some maneuverity and more heavy weapons in the form of the dual GN Cannons who appear to be quite powerful. It already has a GN Field that is rarely used though the circumstances that it can be used on is unknown.
Ashoka

Just as an interesting thought, since I have the 1/144 model built already....

It looks like the Gundam 0 will slot in as well (basic design of the Exia, in terms of perportions, GN Drive placement, etc)

Do you think the Gundam 0 would have been compatable with the GN Arms?
CB kept it around as a "Just in case" anyway...
Roche

Guys you know if we do see another GN Arms it will probably for Astraea F and be pretty much the same as GN Arms Type E but with a red paint job.
Arsarcana

Ashoka wrote:Do you think the Gundam 0 would have been compatable with the GN Arms?
CB kept it around as a "Just in case" anyway...
Probably only in the sense that the Full Saber equipment is 'compatable' with the other movie Gundams and the XN Parts and GN Archer's backpack are 'compatable' with a whole bunch of S2 kits (including non-CB ones!): They're plastic and in the same scale, with a bit of work you can make anything fit even if it's not even remotely sensible in-universe.

For the in-universe reason why I don't think it's likely, consider that the GN Arms didn't exist even as a concept when 0 Gundam was built; it took the Rasiel and GN Sefer to test the concept out later. There have to be some connections between the Gundam and the Arms so the latter can be controlled and provided with power from the former's GN Drive. 0 presumably wouldn't have those connections and since the thing was basically kept as a museum piece (remember that as a 1st generation suit it's massively outdated and they only ever used it in an emergency as a semi-mobile gun turret) they probably never bothered to make whatever changes would be necessary to make it GN Arms-compatable.