"The original Trans-Am"?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Vent Noir

"The original Trans-Am"?

I went to the Gundam Panel at Manifest on the weekend (I liked the title: "I Don't Like Your Gundam, I Think You Need A New One"), and the host mentioned that one of the Gundam Wing manga had "the original Trans-Am". Unfortunately, I can't remember what the manga was called. Does anyone know?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Newtype87

Re: "The original Trans-Am"?

I guess they're referring to Gundam Geminass and its PX system in the G-Unit manga series. While the two systems are similar, I do feel that the comparison is a little unfair, but since I've not read the manga I'll reserve my judgement until I hear from people who have read it.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
toysdream

Eh, I think the V-MAX system from SPT Layzner is the obvious ancestor of al these limited-duration power-ups.

-- Mark
Chris
Administrator

toysdream wrote:Eh, I think the V-MAX system from SPT Layzner is the obvious ancestor of al these limited-duration power-ups.

-- Mark
You beat me to the punch. V-MAX is pretty much blue Trans-Am. Or, to phrase that in a more chronologically correct way, Trans-Am is basically red V-MAX, minus the computer that speaks in a weird voice like a kidnapper using a voice changer. :P
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Newtype87

Chris wrote:
toysdream wrote:Eh, I think the V-MAX system from SPT Layzner is the obvious ancestor of al these limited-duration power-ups.

-- Mark
You beat me to the punch. V-MAX is pretty much blue Trans-Am. Or, to phrase that in a more chronologically correct way, Trans-Am is basically red V-MAX, minus the computer that speaks in a weird voice like a kidnapper using a voice changer. :P
Actually, I don't know much about Layzner. How did the V-MAX system work?

Oh, and as a side note, Trans-Am even has V-MAX's little dash in the middle.
Vent Noir

I looked around on Youtube, and found a video of Layzner's V-Max from SRW here. Yes, it is very reminiscent of Trans-Am.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Kuruni

Bit of note, Zakarl has red V-MAX in SPT Layzner. Actually call "V-MAX Red Power" in SRW.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Newtype87

Kuruni wrote:Bit of note, Zakarl has red V-MAX in SPT Layzner. Actually call "V-MAX Red Power" in SRW.
Did the two V-MAX units ever do battle as two ribbons of blue and red light clashing against each other in space?
Chris
Administrator

Newtype87 wrote:Actually, I don't know much about Layzner. How did the V-MAX system work?
Long story short, the Layzner is normally run by an AI unit named Rei. However, if it detects that Eiji's life is in danger, another AI named Fouron takes over and activates V-MAX. In essence, V-MAX is blue Trans-Am like I said earlier. It's a time-limited, high performance mode, and during the time that it's running, the Layzner is invincible. The difference between the two is that when V-MAX is activated, the Layzner is under Fouron's complete control, so Eiji can't do anything on his own.
Newtype87 wrote:
Kuruni wrote:Bit of note, Zakarl has red V-MAX in SPT Layzner. Actually call "V-MAX Red Power" in SRW.
Did the two V-MAX units ever do battle as two ribbons of blue and red light clashing against each other in space?
Yes, they did. Zakarl was the "last boss mecha" of SPT Layzner.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his