A Question About The GM

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Garuda128

A Question About The GM

Okay, I'm confused. I was playing Gundam: Journey to Jaburo and in the gallery, they have this audio thing talking about a selected mobile suit (if you played the game, then u might know what i mean). In it, the game's robot voice thingy said the GM's name was pronounced like "Jim," but I could've sworn it was prnounced like "Gee Em." Am I mistaken, or is this some more of American video game company editing B.S.?
Amuro Ray: pilot of RX-78-2 Gundam, EFF's first Newtype, and voiced by Brad Swaile
Setsuna f Seiei: pilot of GN-001 Gundam Exia, world's first Pure Innovator, and voiced by Brad Swaile
Both pilot awesome weapons, a first in something and voiced by Brad Swaile. Close resemblence
His Divine Shadow

Re: A Question About The GM

"If you ask me," said the little man to Shadow, "you're something of a monster. Am I right?"
"I'm American," said Shadow, "if that's what you mean." - Neil Gaiman
Garuda128

Ohhhhhh... kk, i understand now. Although i think GM sounds better than Jim, it's good to know. thx for the help.
Amuro Ray: pilot of RX-78-2 Gundam, EFF's first Newtype, and voiced by Brad Swaile
Setsuna f Seiei: pilot of GN-001 Gundam Exia, world's first Pure Innovator, and voiced by Brad Swaile
Both pilot awesome weapons, a first in something and voiced by Brad Swaile. Close resemblence
SchizophrenicMC

Not sure if that covers this, but the GM is like the Ford/Willys Overland GP from WWII.

It was called Gee-Pee for some time, but eventually, a lot of people shortened the name to Jeep. Thus, Willys Jeep.

I assume very much the same thing here. GMs can be called Gee-Em or Jim. It's a point of preference. Technically, they're Ar-Gee-Em-Seventy-Nine "Gee-Em", phonetically.

I know for a fact GMs are called both names in the dub of the 08th MS Team. I'll check the Japanese audio track to see if the same trend follows.
My incredibly disorganized Photobucket album - Because I'm too lazy to find and fix all my links, should I make new albums.

"You really think anyone's gonna play hero? You're startin' to disappoint me, Commander Newbie."
-Eledore Mathis
AnimeMun

I've done some thinking and studying on this a little more and come up with this concept.

Looking back on the Zaku class of MS one thing becomes very relevant, especially once you hit Zeta with the Hi-Zack. The original intended reference name to the Zaku was more than likely the "Zack". Referring to the GM as the "Jim" wouldn't be too far-fetched in this regard. I know I'm pulling a little metal gear on this one but the WWII fighter known as the Raiden was called the "Jack" by US forces. Considering that the EFSF is an analouge to the US Military then this naming structure is actually that much more sensible. While most of us would be calling these suits Zakus and GMs, "Zacks" and "Jims" are just as acceptable as names in universe.
A supporter of the HARO mafia.

The Cross-Culture Hero.

This should probably be a secret but... MY NAME IS ANIME-MUN!
Brave Fencer Kirby

The "Gee Em" pronunciation is a relic of older translations. The correct pronunciation is "Jim". The only time we hear "Gee Em" to my knowledge is in works that were translated before the translations were officially ironed out -- like in 0083, where we also hear "Kishiria" instead of "Kycilia" and "Duchy of Zeon" instead of "Principality of Zeon". The Mobile Suit Gundam dub, which was the first (to my knowledge) to use the standardized translations, uses "Jim"... though I have to honestly say I can't recall which the Zeta dub uses.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Wingnut

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:though I have to honestly say I can't recall which the Zeta dub uses.
The english Zeta dub uses Jim.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
HalfDemonInuyasha

IIRC, from my DVDs anyway, the pilot (before smashing into the ground whole chasing the Rick Dias team in episode 1) called it an "antique Gee-Em".
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
mcred23

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:IIRC, from my DVDs anyway, the pilot (before smashing into the ground whole chasing the Rick Dias team in episode 1) called it an "antique Gee-Em".
I pulled out my DVDs to check. The battle with the GM IIs doesn't occur until episode 2, and in said battle, the pilot uses the "Jim" pronunciation, not "Gee Em", before the the Rick Dias team shoots him (It's not the GM that slams into the ground).

Anyway, the reason is exactly what Kirby said. "Gee Em" is only used in the three OVAs (And maybe in some of the video games), while MSG and Zeta use the correct "Jim" pronunciation just like the original Japanese works.

Although, I still say it as "Gee Em", even though I know it's wrong. It's not like any of you can hear me. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Newtype87

I don't think I can pronounce it as "Jim." It just feels wrong to me because I've been saying and thinking "Gee Em" since I got into the fandom. It's like, I look at the two capitalized letters and thing "No vowels, so I should pronounce them as letters."
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Calubin_175

The pronunciation rule applies to all abbreviation units, including GN-X, Re-Gz and ReZEL. I just go according to the katakana usually.
Fritz Ashlyn

The first time I said "re-gazee" out loud to someone talking about the Re-GZ they looked at me like I was crazy until I explained what the deal was like Calubin said.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
AnimeMun

Sure, I usually say GM myself, but I get the "Jim" pronunciation. However I've always called the Re-GZ the "Reg Z", the GN-X the "Jinx", and the ReZEL the "Rezelle". I also find it hilarious that the GN Cannon, like the GN Archer, has to be called the Guncannon considering its design influence.
A supporter of the HARO mafia.

The Cross-Culture Hero.

This should probably be a secret but... MY NAME IS ANIME-MUN!