Weird Macross Question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Vent Noir

Weird Macross Question

Okay, so Macross has a lot of Variable Fighters (VF), and I believe the Konig Monster is a Variable Bomber (VB)... has there ever been a Variable Attacker (VA)? I believe Robotech listed the Alpha and Beta Fighters as VF/A and VF/B, respectively, but I don't know of anything in Macross.

In case you're wondering, I ask this because I saw a really cool model of an A-10 Warthog at a model show last weekend, and thought it would be something that would make a cool transforming mecha.

Since Attackers are deployed against ground-based targets, would a hypothetical VA be mainly deployed planetside, or would there be a use for them in space?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
iguanaman8989

Re: Weird Macross Question

Might this be what you're looking for?
It's the VA-3C Custom Invader from Macross Dynamite 7, and it's classified as a variable attack craft.

Here's a profile for the normal version, on the Macross Mecha Manual.
Chris
Administrator

There are some, like the VA-3M Invader from the PS1 game Macross VF-X2. In the game, you use it to attack planet side targets, but it also functions as an amphibious unit. There's a space whale hunting variant used by poachers that shows up in Macross Dynamite 7.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dark Duel

Not surprisingly, the VA-3 seems to be based on the Grumman A-6 Intruder used by the Navy and Marine Corps from '63 to '97.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Red Comet90

Interesting that its based on the A-6 Intruder. It was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw it. I wonder why of all the attackers out there they'd base if off that one.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Wingnut

Red Comet90 wrote:Interesting that its based on the A-6 Intruder. It was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw it. I wonder why of all the attackers out there they'd base if off that one.
I'd guess because most of the other famous attacker aircraft are either propeller driven, double as a full on fighter too, or simply don't have the frame required for a transformable vechicle (Packing only one large engine for example.).
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Phoenix012

Wingnut wrote:
Red Comet90 wrote:Interesting that its based on the A-6 Intruder. It was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw it. I wonder why of all the attackers out there they'd base if off that one.
I'd guess because most of the other famous attacker aircraft are either propeller driven, double as a full on fighter too, or simply don't have the frame required for a transformable vechicle (Packing only one large engine for example.).
This basically. The A-4 and A-10 are the other obvious attack aircraft, and they both have designs that don't lend themselves to Macross style transformations.

It does bring up the point of why we don't see more attack (and other types of) variable spacecraft in the Macross series, especially considering Gundam has the very opposite philosophy in terms introducing mecha designs. Then again, the fact that each main series has generally showcased only 1 or 2 variable spacecraft has correctly reflected the modern trend of armed forces the world over reducing the number of different airframes they possess in their inventories. Whether this is a coincidence or done on purpose is hard to say.
MrMarch

There is also the standard VA-3 Invader model, which displays the craft with ordnance loaded

VA-3 Invader (M+)

I think the reason we see so few other "types" of variable craft in Macross is due to the hero-centric demands of most mecha anime stories. While in real life, certain battles would be fought by different units or different military branches altogether (army, air force, navy, etc), in narrative like anime, we want to see OUR characters in action, not some other unrelated branch or unit. Thus our heroes (and their mecha) fight in the air, in space, or underwater and they fight ALL OVER rather than being restricted to one theatre of operations.

It's also true that Macross, by it's very nature as a transforming mecha show, presents mecha as more multi-role than most other mecha shows. Each Valkyrie is basically a Jet (Fighter mode), Helicopter (GERWALK mode) and Humanoid Tank (Battroid mode) all wrapped up in one machine. With each Valkyrie equaling or exceeding the performance of the next best vehicle, the need for other dedicated craft disappears. Hence, we'll see fewer craft dedicated to a single role simply because there are so many viable, high-performing variable solutions in the Macross universe. This also means that more craft are multi-role beyond their 3-vehicle setup, so you get VF-17 Nightmares as fighter craft that also fulfill a bomber function.
Vent Noir

Phoenix012 wrote: This basically. The A-4 and A-10 are the other obvious attack aircraft, and they both have designs that don't lend themselves to Macross style transformations.
Well, I talked to a friend and he mentioned that Powerglide from Transformers was based off the A-10 (I've never been a Transformers fanatic myself).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Dark Duel

Transformers, however, are sentient robots, and so are not bound by considerations to be taken into account with a machine designed to accomodate a human pilot.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."