The Hydra Gundam?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
DoubleZero

The Hydra Gundam?

Can anyone tell me what it is designed for? Any unique abilities that isn't listed in a wiki?

EDIT: Is Hydra's Zeong-like face on the back of its head and the Zakus/Goufs' faces on the sides of it's head, hold any significance?
"Rush hour, during the Dark hour..."
blind_dead_mcjones

Re: The Hydra Gundam?

from the MAHQ site:

The OZ-15AGX Hydra Gundam is a high performance mobile suit assigned to ruthless OZ pilot Valder Farkill. While serving under Zechs Merquise in OZ Specials, Valder racks up more individual kills against the United Earth Sphere Alliance than his entire unit combined. This bloody record earns him the nickname "Dark General of Destruction." One of the main features of the Hydra Gundam is its ability to fold back its legs and use the thrusters housed underneath the skirt armor for high speed maneuvers. The Hydra Gundam is equipped with an EMF shield that can block many attacks, and its main armaments include a buster gun, beam saber and two foldable shoulder claws. When Valder assumes leadership of OZ Prize in late AC 195 he proves to be a formidable nemesis for the defenders of the remote colony MO-V. At the conclusion of the Eve Wars on December 24, AC 195, Valder is killed by OZ-19MASX Gundam Griepe pilot Odin Bernett.

the gouf/zeong/zaku-like faces probably hold no significance at all as its a suit from the AC timeline
Flag Fighter for life!
Arsarcana

One might speculate that the designer felt like having a bit of fun (and since the thing is called the Hydra Gundam giving it a couple extra faces sorta works) but there's no reason to read anything else into it. After Colony isn't Universal Century so the presence of vaguely Gouf-ish elements doesn't mean anything more than Asclepius looking a bit like a Gundam-ized Z'Gok does.
AmuroNT1

According to the official profiles, Hydra was made by Romefeller as a "Gundam killer", specifically made to tangle with the Wing Team (and Epyon) and come out on top. Farkill pulled rank to claim it as his personal machine for the siege at MO-V.

Hydra's abilities ought to be well-documented, though the MAHQ profile leaves out the fact that its shoulder claws double as wired all-range weapons, like Incoms.

As for the Zeong face, it was probably just a silly shout out, considering the machine already has wired beam guns and a high-speed mode which involves tucking its legs up into its skirt.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Arsarcana

Considering how well it performed agaisnt Griepe, methinks Romafeller slightly overestimated the effectiveness of the design if they expected it to beat Wing Zero or Epyon.

Actually, while we're talking G-Unit (and I admit it's more of an Anime question) how exactly did those two sisters survive anyways? Everything indicates that they're dead (hitting all the 'character about to bite the big one' cliches in the process), nobody mentions them for the next few chapters and then boom, they show up in the background of the epilogue. Huh?
DoubleZero

Hydra was made by Romefeller as a "Gundam killer", specifically made to tangle with the Wing Team (and Epyon)
And Epyon? Why also Epyon?
methinks Romafeller slightly overestimated the effectiveness of the design if they expected it to beat Wing Zero or Epyon.
So, by comparison, the Hydra is a better machine than the Wing Zero and Epyon? The question is how?
Kuruni

One thing, I'm under impression that it isn't really design for "hunt down the Gundam" but more of "anti-Gundam" MS.

I think Hydra was design with just first five Gundams in mind. The info on Epyon and Wing Zero, if the developers are aware of, would be most likely to be too little at the time of production.

For Zeong face, I humbly suggest that it's relate to the "compund sensor" noted in its spec. Maybe the monoeye is more suitable in close combat? In fact, I won't surprise if it can counter Deathscythe's hyper jammer.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Zerosystem

DoubleZero wrote:And Epyon? Why also Epyon?.
Perhaps because Romefeller was fighting against the Treize Faction that built the Epyon. Epyon is just about unstoppable by Virgos, so they need something to counter it, I suppose. I don't know when the Hydra was developed, though.
DoubleZero wrote:So, by comparison, the Hydra is a better machine than the Wing Zero and Epyon? The question is how?
I'm not sure how it can be compared. The Hydra appears to have a massive amount of thrust, even if the gross weight is unknown.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
AmuroNT1

Arsarcana wrote:Actually, while we're talking G-Unit (and I admit it's more of an Anime question) how exactly did those two sisters survive anyways? Everything indicates that they're dead (hitting all the 'character about to bite the big one' cliches in the process), nobody mentions them for the next few chapters and then boom, they show up in the background of the epilogue. Huh?
They didn't; official profiles say that they died. What we saw at the finale was probably just Tokita tugging at the ol' heartstrings by using "Force ghosts".
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Arsarcana

DoubleZero wrote:So, by comparison, the Hydra is a better machine than the Wing Zero and Epyon? The question is how?
Actually, I was implying that it seems decidedly inferior to either machine. If Griepe could beat it (and Odin has significantly less experience than Heero or Zechs), the other two should have been able to eat it for lunch.
AmuroNT1 wrote:They didn't; official profiles say that they died. What we saw at the finale was probably just Tokita tugging at the ol' heartstrings by using "Force ghosts".
In Wing?! Actually, given that this is the same guy who pulled the 'Gundams all link hands to power the Twin Buster Rifle' ending for the manga adaptation of the TV series I wouldn't entirely put it past him but still, that sounds a bit farfetched an explanation. By the way, where do these official profiles come from? I wasn't aware G-Unit had a site.
DoubleZero

I think Hydra was design with just first five Gundams in mind. The info on Epyon and Wing Zero, if the developers are aware of, would be most likely to be too little at the time of production.
The problem is, we don't know when Hydra is developed. It's good to know if Hydra was developed before or after Epyon was developed, so we will know if it was supposed to be a counter for Epyon.
If Griepe could beat it (and Odin has significantly less experience than Heero or Zechs), the other two should have been able to eat it for lunch.
Well, the only way that Odin won that fight is because of Valder being distracted, so we can't be too sure.

Does anybody here read the side-story? So we can get a little insight?
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

It's been brought up in a really old thread that the MS in G-Unit have the PX-system which was meant to counter ZERO system. That means OZ may have known about ZERO system all along, or that PX-system development occurred directly after the Wing Zero was captured by OZ.

I looked over the profile of Hydra again just to check, but it doesn't list PX-system. I suppose it doesn't have it, then? (Someone check the book for me, lol.) So, I'm guessing it's going to die a horrible death against a unit that has ZERO system since it hasn't much ability to counter it. (I think PX-system is a poorly conceived counter, anyway. No use getting a power-up if you can't think as fast as your opponent.) :roll:

In the book, it's also clear that Falder wanted to duel Treize while he used the Epyon, so it's at least evident that he's aware of the Epyon's existence by the time of G-unit. That doesn't say much about the Hydra's development though. =/
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Deathonator

Hydra counters PX Mode with it's High-Speed mode, more or less when it slides it's legs into it's skirt and lets the massive thrusters there-in work. Now the PX System works by bolstering the pilots reaction time and the machines performance. If I remember correctly, when it was explained in the Manga something about adrenaline was mentioned.
DoubleZero

It's been brought up in a really old thread that the MS in G-Unit have the PX-system which was meant to counter ZERO system. That means OZ may have known about ZERO system all along, or that PX-system development occurred directly after the Wing Zero was captured by OZ.
The centerpiece of the G-Unit Gundams, the PX System is a powerful but highly unstable combat system, usable only by the best pilots. When activated, the PX System temporarily pushes a mobile suit beyond its normal operational limits, while stimulating an adrenaline surge in the pilot to allow him to cope with both the increased speed and the physical exertion of this brief "super mode". The PX System is typically programmed with an automatic cut-off for safety; if used beyond this time limit, it can cause damage to both the mobile suit and the pilot's brain. While using the PX System, the mobile suit appears to glow, and can move so fast that the human eye can't follow it. During the events of G-Unit/The Last Outpost, the Barnett brothers use "PX Overdrive" in which the system is pushed even further than normal, but with even greater risk of death from its operation.
Well, I got this from About Gundam Wing site, and the PX system seems to have vague similarities to Trans-Am System, but it never mention of it being a "counter" for the ZERO system(I'm sure something important like that would have been mentioned, if it were ever true). :|
AmuroNT1

Arsarcana wrote:In Wing?! Actually, given that this is the same guy who pulled the 'Gundams all link hands to power the Twin Buster Rifle' ending for the manga adaptation of the TV series I wouldn't entirely put it past him but still, that sounds a bit farfetched an explanation. By the way, where do these official profiles come from? I wasn't aware G-Unit had a site.
The only official-ish profiles I've ever seen for G-Unit come from G Generation. That may seem sketchy, but so far it's only appeared in games that cleave very closely to the original plot, unlike the Super Robot Wars series.

And I should probably point out that I write for About Gundam Wing, too, and that PX System description is mine. XD

Roche

Well the Hydra is extremely fast and heavely armed however I think either Wing Zero or Epyon would probably win against it wouldn't be surprised if they lost an arm or a leg in the process though.

The description of the PX system sound pretty accurate 3 people did use the PX Overdrive the Barnett Brothers and Kratz Silvy however Krazt couldn't handle it and showed what happens when it goes wrong snapped mentaly and was bleeding from around the eyes.
Aegis

Arsarcana wrote: Actually, I was implying that it seems decidedly inferior to either machine. If Griepe could beat it (and Odin has significantly less experience than Heero or Zechs), the other two should have been able to eat it for lunch.
Odin at that point, however, was no slouch, and had managed to master the PX System to eventually beat someone like Farkill. Then there's the fact that the Griepe itself is a monster given the massive thrust output and weaponry at its disposal, so I can't see Hydra taken out as merely an 'if Griepe could beat it', nor would I conclude therefore that the Hydra is inferior to Wing Zero and Epyon when those two machines have stats and abilities that make the latter two jealous.
Roche

Aegis wrote: Odin at that point, however, was no slouch, and had managed to master the PX System to eventually beat someone like Farkill. Then there's the fact that the Griepe itself is a monster given the massive thrust output and weaponry at its disposal, so I can't see Hydra taken out as merely an 'if Griepe could beat it', nor would I conclude therefore that the Hydra is inferior to Wing Zero and Epyon when those two machines have stats and abilities that make the latter two jealous.
Also Aegis the Griepe barely won , the Hydra destroyed one of the Griepe's arms and those reflect shield wings and also Odin didn't use regular PX either to win he had to use the Overdrive mode.
Aegis

That is certainly true. Fact is, Griepe and Hydra were both powerful machines, and you got at least one pilot in that fight who is quite skilled, while the other wasn't all that terrible (and certainly disciplined enough to eventually use yet another mind ripping system). When you look at both machines, Griepe comes off as Wing Zero on roids, while Hydra is the five Operation Meteor Gundams put together then jacked up on roids.
Deathonator

The Japanese Wiki mentions the Griepe is capable of 24,000 m/s in space, exactly how accurate and official such a thing is; I'm not sure off. However, I do remember that the engines it uses are originally intended as a new, faster space craft engine. It also says something about the Griepe having a form of Nervous system connection to assist in it's piloting, which -might- actually explain why it's the only unit in the entire manga that has the head-set, despite two others having PX Overdrive available...meaning it's not because of that.