V gundams technology and war tactics

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.

Moderators: ShadowCell, SNT1, mcred23, EZero8

Post Reply
andyx181x
Cardboard Leo Ace
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:05 pm
Contact:

V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by andyx181x » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:51 pm

I just finished watching the entire series of V gundam and one of the things that surprised me is now the really violent and mushroom cloud explosion of any MS in the series. Had there been a real large update on the minovksy fusion reactor that both sides of the war mainly preferred to disable the pilot then destroy the MS? Most units exploding didn't last that long in the previous series nor do such a large scale of damage that you could essentially use a MS as small atom bomb.

Also since when did it become an issue never to directly attack the command center/cockpit of a warship? In the previous wars of the UC era winning was winning, a MS did everything and anything they can to bring down a warship and often times I see the League pass up moments to end a battle if they just focused on hitting the most open vital area of the warship. Odelo was the first one the team to actually take out a warship so fast but then felt guilt over doing it, why I can't even begin to understand when none of their conventional weapons was doing any serious damage to any part of the ship.

User avatar
Genocide
Elitist Earth Politician
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:05 pm
Location: In your water stealing your fish
Contact:

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by Genocide » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:10 pm

andyx181x wrote:I just finished watching the entire series of V gundam and one of the things that surprised me is now the really violent and mushroom cloud explosion of any MS in the series. Had there been a real large update on the minovksy fusion reactor that both sides of the war mainly preferred to disable the pilot then destroy the MS? Most units exploding didn't last that long in the previous series nor do such a large scale of damage that you could essentially use a MS as small atom bomb.
I'd imagine the reactors were more prone to explosive reactions given that they're much smaller than older MS, and they maintain just as much (if not more) power. Also, since beam weaponry is much more powerful in Victory than previous shows, it could more easily catalyze such reactions. Either case, I don't think the latter UC tech gets as much coverage as older stuff, but someone could probably give a better explanation than myself.
Also since when did it become an issue never to directly attack the command center/cockpit of a warship? In the previous wars of the UC era winning was winning, a MS did everything and anything they can to bring down a warship and often times I see the League pass up moments to end a battle if they just focused on hitting the most open vital area of the warship. Odelo was the first one the team to actually take out a warship so fast but then felt guilt over doing it, why I can't even begin to understand when none of their conventional weapons was doing any serious damage to any part of the ship.
Dramatic effect and plot induced stupidity are the only things that come to mind. It might also be considered a "dishonorable" tactic, but frankly honor is the last thing they need to consider given what was at stake.

User avatar
Geoxile
HiMAT Spammer
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by Geoxile » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:09 pm

I think it's some sort of conduct of war. IIRC the Zanscare forces also said it was dishonorable to use cowardly methods and was in general prohibited. Like taking hostages for example. Otherwise, the so called Ace pilots of LM are just children. Victory makes that painfully obvious, especially with Usso.

Propellant
Cardboard Leo Ace
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by Propellant » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:36 am

What's dishonorable in shooting a glaring weakness of the enemy ship?

User avatar
Zerosystem
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by Zerosystem » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:58 am

Propellant wrote:What's dishonorable in shooting a glaring weakness of the enemy ship?
They were retreating, as I recall. Just the idea of shooting someone in the back who is running away and is no longer attacking you.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion

Propellant
Cardboard Leo Ace
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by Propellant » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:41 am

Zerosystem wrote:
Propellant wrote:What's dishonorable in shooting a glaring weakness of the enemy ship?
They were retreating, as I recall. Just the idea of shooting someone in the back who is running away and is no longer attacking you.
Oh,that's different.

I haven't entirely seen Victory and so I get the impression from reading the posts above that the characters had the notion that shooting the bridge is dishonorable.Which would be strange since Zanscare pilots had no qualms about shooting Victory during it's merging sequence.

User avatar
DeltasTaii
HiMAT Spammer
Posts: 949
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:06 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by DeltasTaii » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:52 pm

The thing about shooting the bridge is that you're directly shooting personnel rather than the vehicle. Realistically, your goal is to get the ship off the battlefield, and killing a bunch of crew is, well, not so much. They're different than an infantryman, as their a secondary resource rather than the primary one. Shooting out the engines gives people a chance to escape at least.

Pilots have a bit of a similar code of conduct, but pilots are a bit more of a direct resource in a lot of cases (shooting down Amuro counts for far more than shooting down his MS usually, but even every Zaku pilot downed as another rookie being shoved in a Gelgoog), and they build grudges somewhat more easily...

User avatar
yazi88
OMG Doomsday Laser
Posts: 1333
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:53 am
Location: Michigan

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by yazi88 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Geoxile wrote:I think it's some sort of conduct of war. IIRC the Zanscare forces also said it was dishonorable to use cowardly methods and was in general prohibited. Like taking hostages for example. Otherwise, the so called Ace pilots of LM are just children. Victory makes that painfully obvious, especially with Usso.
Not that I'm saying that you are defending Zanscare or anything but you make it sound like Zanscare had any honor in the first place. Save for maybe about 5-6 people just about everyone in Zanscare were scumbags that would do anything to win or get further ahead in the ranks. They would use battleships to literally run civilian towns over and hold public executions for publicity.

Dishonorable tactics be damned with them. At least the Titans had Jamitov and sometimes Scirocco holding them in check. Don't know about the Earth Alliance in whole but the Atlantic Federation absolutely had no redeeming characters in Destiny aside from Sven and Edward in Stargazer and the Revil knockoff from Seed and atleast the Eurasian Federation weren't behind any genocidal acts so they must've had some decent leadership that wasn't infected with blue cosmos. Oh yes there also the 3 Atlantic ace pilots from Seed MSV that were pretty cool as well. Morgan was from Eurasian if I remember correctly.

Anyways back to the topic in hand, were the beam shields in victory really that big and strong and more advanced from F-91 or was it about the same cause I remember that Crossbone Vanguard troops still got blown ship from ship guns while in Victory 3 Javelin grunts could block Katigena's Gottralan's mega beam gun albeit from putting the from combining their shields together.

User avatar
Zerosystem
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by Zerosystem » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:28 am

yazi88 wrote:Anyways back to the topic in hand, were the beam shields in victory really that big and strong and more advanced from F-91 or was it about the same cause I remember that Crossbone Vanguard troops still got blown ship from ship guns while in Victory 3 Javelin grunts could block Katigena's Gottralan's mega beam gun albeit from putting the from combining their shields together.
Might just be the bonus of having a stronger reactor. The Javelin has nearly as powerful as reactor as the F91, and the Victory tops the Javelin by 800 kW and could generate a extremely wide shield to defend the fire of I think three enemy MS.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion

HalfDemonInuyasha
Retconned MSV Ace
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Albany, NY
Contact:

Re: V gundams technology and war tactics

Post by HalfDemonInuyasha » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

That would be the Mega Beam Shield you're talking about and, yes, it was essentially as powerful as 3-4 beam shields combined (capable of blocking shots from mega beam cannons and battleship guns and such), so it's no surprise that overlapping 3 normal beam shields together could achieve the same kind of defense.

Aside from that and the mega beam shield, there was the Totuga in Crossbone Gundam with several large beam emitters for its beam shield, allowing it to block shots fired from main cannons of battleships and the giant beam shields on battleships themselves in Victory.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet

Post Reply