Why do Headshots Work on Mobile Suits?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Duraham

Re: Why do Headshots Work on Mobile Suits?

crashlegacy14 wrote: another thing to touch on was mentioned earlier in the thread how after losing their head mobile suits tend to fall backwards some how disabled. was it never considered this was from the force of the attack/explosion knocking it over while the system was still trying to figure out why happened to all the data from the head?

In one of the modelkit manuals or magazines, the Deathscythe's chin was identified as the main gyroscope of the MS. Assuming this was true for all other MS (ie. that the gyroscopes are located within the head), then the zaku falling over immediately after it lost its head would be explained this.

Heck, when the rx-78-2 lost its head during the battle with the zeong, it did a rather violent shudder as well, abeit in space.
Enchanter468

Duraham wrote:
crashlegacy14 wrote: another thing to touch on was mentioned earlier in the thread how after losing their head mobile suits tend to fall backwards some how disabled. was it never considered this was from the force of the attack/explosion knocking it over while the system was still trying to figure out why happened to all the data from the head?

In one of the modelkit manuals or magazines, the Deathscythe's chin was identified as the main gyroscope of the MS. Assuming this was true for all other MS (ie. that the gyroscopes are located within the head), then the zaku falling over immediately after it lost its head would be explained this.

Heck, when the rx-78-2 lost its head during the battle with the zeong, it did a rather violent shudder as well, abeit in space.
This is a good explanation, although it's worth noting that at least sometimes there's a loss of power. For instance, in the first episode of The 08th MS Team, Shiro gets in close and uses the 180mm cannons on his Ball to blast Aina's Zaku RD4 in the head. We then a get a shot inside the RD4 of all the electronics failing in the cockpit, with all screens and panels going dark and even some arcing electricity (never a good sign).

Of course, there was still enough power for Aina to open the cockpit...
"Attention passengers. We may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
-Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
JEFFPIATT

it would have been more of a power spike i do beleve zakus store the reactor in the backpack like most ms at most some capacitors fried and the out side armor may have been charged good thing the normal suits are insulated. even if she lost main power there has to be some sort of battery or explodeing bolts to get out of a zaku that badly damaged.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Enchanter468 wrote:Of course, there was still enough power for Aina to open the cockpit...
one would assume that there'd be some sort of battery backup for the cockpit hat in order to prevent the pilot from being suck inside a wrecked mobile suit.
JEFFPIATT wrote:zakus store the reactor in the backpack like most ms
wait what? where on earth did you hear that, the back pack of MS holds the MS primary thrusters. the reactor is located in the torso in the zaku's case this is un the abdomen just under the cockpit block.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
JEFFPIATT

crashlegacy14 wrote:
JEFFPIATT wrote:zakus store the reactor in the backpack like most ms
wait what? where on earth did you hear that, the back pack of MS holds the MS primary thrusters. the reactor is located in the torso in the zaku's case this is un the abdomen just under the cockpit block.
I got it from the dialog of the first episode. Amaro was trying to avoid destroying side 7 after spiltting the one zaku in half through the backpack. he mentioned he wanted to distroy the cockpit of the other zaku without destroying the backpack of the other zaku.
crashlegacy14

wow that's horrible. take a look at that episode again. Gene was sliced along the waist, where as Denem is stabbed through the cockpit (indicated here as being behind the black middle portion of the zaku's chest) with the beam saber exiting clearly out of the back pack if you where right that the back pack hold the MS' reactor then Denem's zaku would have exploded in epic fashion.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Enchanter468

crashlegacy14 wrote:wow that's horrible.
Hey now, let's try and keep things respectful here.
take a look at that episode again. Gene was sliced along the waist, where as Denem is stabbed through the cockpit (indicated here as being behind the black middle portion of the zaku's chest) with the beam saber exiting clearly out of the back pack if you where right that the back pack hold the MS' reactor then Denem's zaku would have exploded in epic fashion.
Is it possible that the reactor doesn't take up the whole backpack? I mean, a significant amount of space on that thing has to be for holding propellant, so the reactor might not automatically be destroyed by a saber strike that hits the pack.

That said, I haven't watched that episode in about a year, so I really don't remember the details.
"Attention passengers. We may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
crashlegacy14

Enchanter468 wrote:Hey now, let's try and keep things respectful here.
Well to my credit the statement is correct. It's horrible that the source Jeff satated even contradicts him. I'm not intending to come off as disrepectful - it just comes out that way I suppose.

From the MG 2.0 models the back pack is completely removable and really only has room for thrusters. there's the two seen on the bottom of the pack and two on the top and a deal of random machinery surrounding them. I seriously don't think you could squeeze a reactor powerful enough to power an entire mobile suit in the backpack under those conditions.

also from the MG model the only thing that looks remotely like a reactor is in the waist right where the cables plug into. and like I said before Amuro didn't even hit the back pack when he killed Gene but the dialog states he hit the reactor, then he follows up by dispatching Denem with a stab through the chest (and backpack) while trying not to hit the reactor. which given the lack of massive explosion and Amuro own words on the subject makes it seem odd that he would be putting his sword even remotely near the reactor.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Enchanter468

crashlegacy14 wrote:Well to my credit the statement is correct. It's horrible that the source Jeff satated even contradicts him.
It is true, but oftentimes it's best to try to correct someone without harping on the fact that they're wrong.
I'm not intending to come off as disrepectful - it just comes out that way I suppose.
Okay! :wink:
From the MG 2.0 models the back pack is completely removable and really only has room for thrusters. there's the two seen on the bottom of the pack and two on the top and a deal of random machinery surrounding them. I seriously don't think you could squeeze a reactor powerful enough to power an entire mobile suit in the backpack under those conditions.

also from the MG model the only thing that looks remotely like a reactor is in the waist right where the cables plug into. and like I said before Amuro didn't even hit the back pack when he killed Gene but the dialog states he hit the reactor, then he follows up by dispatching Denem with a stab through the chest (and backpack) while trying not to hit the reactor. which given the lack of massive explosion and Amuro own words on the subject makes it seem odd that he would be putting his sword even remotely near the reactor.
All valid points, and it would make sense if the reactor is the thing the cables plug into. Of course, this would mean that

a. The reactor is right under the cockpit, which has to make new pilots a little nervous. :shock:

b. The reactor, the source of power, is effectively in the Zaku II's groin.

Must...resist...jokes. :mrgreen:
crashlegacy14

to stem the groin of power cracks here are some images of the apaprent reactor and it's location.

basic skeletal zaku
close up of the cockpit the reactor block is right below it.
the reactor exposed by removing the cockpit/chest block.

so position wise it's not the groin it's the gut.
Last edited by crashlegacy14 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
hellbore

crashlegacy14 wrote:to stem the groin of power cracks here are some images of the apaprent reactor and it's location.

basic skeletal zaku
close up of the cockpit the reactor block is right below it.
[url=http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/mg97/p/m97_53.jpg] the reactor exposed by removing the cockpit/chest block.

so position wise it's not the groin it's the gut.
You shouldn't hotlink to dalong like that. It doesn't work.
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
Dark Duel

Well, if you refresh it or select the URL in the address bar and hit enter it works just fine. Also, he's missing the closing tag on his third link.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
crashlegacy14

hellbore wrote: You shouldn't hotlink to dalong like that. It doesn't work.
I didn't know.
Dark Duel wrote:Also, he's missing the closing tag on his third link.
whoops...
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Enchanter468

Ah, well it would make sense that the thing with the big honkin' RADIOACTIVE symbol on it would be the reactor.
Gelgoog Jager

I do know one example where the head has an improtant role for a Federation MS:

In the Blue Destiny manga, in his first encounter with BD unit 1, Yuu begins shooting at it and is surprised to see that the unit is defending the head instead of the chest, and even begins to wonder if that's where it's cokcpit is located. Afterwards we are shown the inside of the cockpit of the BD and see the pilot was killed by one of Yuu's bullets that hit the chest. This would indicate that the EXAM system itself is located in the head of the unit, since the loss of the pilot didn't affect it's combat capabilities.

While not the most reliable source, in the Crossfire PS3 game you have a 50% chance of instantly defeating an MS if you destroy it's head. According to the game manual, this is because there's a 50% chance that a chain reaction will take place if the head is destroyed. I do recall a situation in Zeta where there's such situation:

After Kamille helps Quattro steal two Gundam Mk II, they head to where Roberto is still fighting a GM II. Quattro shoots this unit twice in the head after it crashes on Kamille's house, and it's head is seen exploding from where they shots went through and afterwards a larger explosion takes place.
JEFFPIATT

my guess is that they use a flammable hydrolic fluid. or it's a high voltage wire ingnighting the fuel tanks.
Brave Fencer Kirby

There's actually no reason why propellant for a nuclear-powered thruster would need to be combustible (and several obvious reasons why it shouldn't be).
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Enchanter468

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:There's actually no reason why propellant for a nuclear-powered thruster would need to be combustible (and several obvious reasons why it shouldn't be).
At the risk of sounding like a massive idiot, do we know if the GM II uses thermonuclear rocket engines? Because if it uses ye olde chemical rocket engines, then the propellant very well could be flammable.
Brave Fencer Kirby

If it was using chemical rockets, the propellant would have to be flammable. And while we've never gotten an confirmation on the exact type of rocket motors used by any particular mobile suit (the Gundam staff tends to avoid going into that much detail), I wound find it very strange (and stupid) to put a nuclear reactor in a space vehicle and not use nuclear rocket engines.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
JEFFPIATT

my guess is it's for dramatic effect in the real world. most people equate the giant robots with humans in suits so a shot through the head will seeming kill them in the later productions we actually see ms recover and keep fighting after the head unit is removed. I really just assume that modern animators now thing it is a stupid to show headless ms shutting down and have found new ways to disable a mech in combat. that an i noticed that when sunrise puts a woman in the cockpit of a gundam they seem to get decapated. both in 0080 and 08th ms team the gundam given to a female piolet manages to get the gundams head destroyed.