Piloting a Mobile Suit: Is Stickshift possible?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Amadi Akintunde

Piloting a Mobile Suit: Is Stickshift possible?

This may be beating a dead horse, but after looking up stickshift in cars for a bit, I was wondering on how this would work in Mobile Suit operation.

So far, the most we've seen on operating a Mobile Suit is the flicking of 4-5 switches on the overhead dashboard, bringing the suit to life. Adding to that, the apparent push or pull of a Mobile Suit's controls as well as the push of a button randomly make the Suit boost forward, backward, pull out a beam saber, perform an acrobatic maneuver or a leap, or fire a ranged weapon. This is mostly due to the laziness of Japanese animators, or the fact that the viewing audience does not care as to what the pilot inside is doing, but they care as to what the giant robot is doing.

I realize that the common answer to this would be 'programming' or 'macros', but after a while, the same answer becomes a poor excuse to use when someone begs for a more in-depth explanation.

So I was wondering, if Mobile Suits were to utilize controls based on stickshift rather than the usual joystick or yank-push lever, would most Mobile Suit actions portrayed in the shows be easier to explain? What with assigning different functions to each 'gear' the stick can be shifted to? The standard button arrangements would still be present on the control stick/lever, obviously.

Adding to this, does anyone happen to have the Mobile Suit Piloting Manual on them? I remember seeing it way back but don't remember where said topic was.
mcred23

Re: Piloting a Mobile Suit: Is Stickshift possible?

Ya know, reading the topic title, my mind instantly went to somebody trying to control this thing with a stickshift. :roll:
Amadi Akintunde wrote:So I was wondering, if Mobile Suits were to utilize controls based on stickshift rather than the usual joystick or yank-push lever, would most Mobile Suit actions portrayed in the shows be easier to explain? What with assigning different functions to each 'gear' the stick can be shifted to?
IMO, not at all. It's just more motions that are almost certainly going to be unexplained in the show anyway. Pilot moves something in the cockpit, mecha responds and makes cool pose, things blow up. It doesn't matter if the pilot is using some stickshift thingy, or the ever popular joystic/pedal system, or wearing a motion sensor bodysuit, or poking hamsters with a pointed stick, or using his mind, or whatever it is they are doing this time around. Personally, I've found that reading the explanation of how the normal joystick/level with foot pedals system works (IIRC, I think it is mentioned in the MSG novels or somesuch place) makes it sound fairly decent for a way to control giant robots 8). Besides, I don't see what is so different about shifting a MS into another gear than moving joysticks/using foot pedals to create the same movements...

As for the pilot manual, it's been reposted countless times... so here it is for countless + one! :mrgreen:
On May 31st, 2007, toysdream wrote wrote:Here's the summary I typed up based on the pilot's manual in Entertainment Bible 1.

MS PILOT MANUAL
Paraphrased from "Entertainment Bible 1: MS Encylopedia, One Year War Edition"

1. Console Explanation

An introduction establishes that, yes, this is the cockpit of the Gelgoog Jaeger. The images on the four main monitors are derived from the 12 cameras distributed around the mobile suit's body, to present the external world as if you were sitting in its head. (You're warned not to forget to protect the torso, where you're actually sitting.)

The communications monitor on the top console is used to communicate with the deck crew and operators aboard your carrier ship. Thanks to Minovsky interference, you can only get visuals over short distances; after that, it's voice only. Although there's a dedicated rear-view display, you'll get an automatic verbal warning if an enemy gets behind you, and you can then use the controls on the left console to put the rear-view image up on the main monitor.

Most of the mobile suit's critical functions are handled by the control sticks and foot pedals. The sticks control the flight direction, and also house the trigger and weapon selector, while the foot pedals provide throttle and braking functions. Even in combat, most of the mobile suit's functions are computer-controlled; as a result, even a grade-schooler could operate it.

Panel and Console Diagram

A diagram calls out the major controls in the mobile suit cockpit. The diagram is based on the latter-model Zeon cockpit used in Gundam 0080 (and the manual as a whole uses the Gelgoog Jaeger as its example mobile suit). The cockpit consists of a seat and four monitor panels - front, top, left, and right. The front and top monitors sport small control consoles, and the other instruments are built into the seat or its side consoles.

The top monitor console includes two smaller screens - a rear-view monitor and a communications monitor (on the left and right sides respectively). In between are a set of sensor mode selectors.

The front monitor console bears, left to right, generator starter switches; a threat warning panel; and monitor toggle switches.

The left and right armrests of the seat sport almost identical controls. Each side has a sliding control stick - I think the right is for weapons, and the left for steering, but there may be some functional overlap - plus a row of ten buttons for manually activating the apogee motors. The left armrest also sports a throttle lever, which seems to function something like a gear shift for the thrusters. Additional side consoles are attached to the armrests; these contain controls for communications and external monitor modes (on the left), drive/fuel system mode selectors, and warning monitors (on the right). A mysterious "index sub-console" dangles off the right console.

Finally, there are the two foot pedals - brake on the left, throttle on the right. The throttle pedal functions like a car's accelerator. (Note that the upper limit of your thruster output is governed by the throttle lever on the left armrest.)

2. Launch Sequence

When you enter the cockpit, first buckle up your seatbelt! Then turn on the generator (via the front console), check the warning monitors (on the right console), and use the monitor toggles (front console again) to switch to systems check mode. If anything's wrong, holler for the deck crew.

Now you're ready to get on the catapult. Set the drive system mode to "walk" (via the right console) and proceed to the catapult as per your operator's directions, picking up your weapons on the way. Use the throttle pedal to walk forward, the control sticks to turn, and the brake pedal to stop. (I think you're meant to keep the brake pedal down until you're ready to launch.)

Once you're on the catapult, it's time to warm up your thrusters. First set the drive/fuel system mode to "catapult shoot" (right console again), then release the lock on the throttle lever (left armrest) and slide it into "idling" position. Check the warning monitors again, and set the throttle lever to "taxi-ing" position. (This lets you use your thrusters to pick up a little extra speed during launch.)

When your operator gives you the signal, you're clear to launch. Just release the brake pedal, and you'll be shot into space. Using your thrusters as little as possible (to conserve propellant), join your teammates in formation. You can use the index sub-console (attached to the right console) to load pre-programmed mission routes, including your return course at the end of the mission.

(Note: From the following chapters I gather that, after launch, the throttle lever position should be set to "idling" - zero thrust - and the drive/fuel system should be set to "cruising" mode, but it's not clearly specified. I guess that's covered in the omitted Chapter 2.5, "Flying in a Straight Line.")

3. Combat Sequence

The warning panel (on the front console) will alert you to approaching enemies - in this example, because your mono-eye's infra-red sensors have picked up their thruster flares. Set the sensor mode to "scan" (via the top console), and the mono-eye will automatically seek out enemy targets. As you enter battle, set the drive/fuel system mode to "combat," and crank up the throttle lever for bursts of propellant-burning speed.

Set the combat mode selector on the right control stick to "shooting," and release the trigger lock. A targeting reticule will then appear on your main monitor, while enemy units will be tagged with target symbols. Use the control stick to move the reticule onto the desired target, get a lock-on, and pull the trigger. In close-quarters combat, set the combat mode selector to "melee." Go a few seconds at full throttle - can't waste propellant! - to close the distance, then pull the trigger to swipe with your beam sword.

In the course of this chapter's combat example, there's some discussion of dealing with battle damage. You can use the index sub-console to switch hands, the manual activation buttons will turn red to indicate lost apogee motors, et cetera. Also, as you use up your propellant, you should adjust the throttle lever to reduce your thrust.

Once combat is over, you can return to your mission route. Set the drive/fuel system mode back to "cruising" while you check for damage and glance at your propellant levels. All clear? Set the sensor mode back to "warning" (via the top console), put the throttle lever back into "idling" position, and continue on your course.

4. Escape Sequence

This chapter details the workings of the emergency ejection mechanism, which is activated by opening a box under the seat and pulling on the "escape ring" inside. The mobile suit's chest armor blows off, and then the seat is launched about a quarter of a second later. The seat's rocket motors fire for up to 30 seconds, with a peak acceleration of 16 gees; within five seconds you'll be a kilometer away from the mobile suit, safely clear of the blast radius. (I note that these figures indicate an average acceleration of 8 gees.)

Once you've ejected, you can maneuver the drifting seat with its built-in apogee motors. The life-support systems provide five days' worth of air, and three days' worth of food and water (presumably delivered in-helmet), while a beacon signals to friendly rescuers. Or unfriendly ones - thanks, Antarctic Treaty!

The chapter closes by discussing how the ejection mechanism can be employed in other environments - inside space colonies, on Earth, on the moon, et cetera.

5. Return Sequence

Assuming your mission went well, you now get to return to your carrier ship. Your operator will guide you through the final stage of the approach. Once you reach the ship's hull, turn on your foot magnets, set the throttle lever to "idling," and set your drive/fuel system mode to "walk." Then, once you're safely back in the hangar, switch the drive/fuel system to "maintenance" mode. This will shut down the thrusters, lock all the drive systems, and finally power down the generator. Good job!

-- Mark
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Aegis

Aside from the fact that it doesn't make explanations any easier, I also ask why a 'stick shift'? At best, all I see is another gimmick, at worst, it's a cumbersome system for a pilot, be it for movement or speed or... whatever. If it's about assigning different functions, might as well assign them to different controls rather than put it all in one stick. That way, you'd have access to every function all at once rather than being limited to one. And I doubt mobile suits use gearboxes, either.
Amadi Akintunde

Crap. I think I just recognized some of the cons in this kind of thing. Never mind, then. D:
blind_dead_mcjones

um, look at the gundam cockpits from SEED and i think you have your answer as to whether they tried that
Flag Fighter for life!
Amadi Akintunde

Speaking of controls, does the right control have a function that switches to the left arm? And if so, shield controls?
krullnar

All I can think of is Megas XLR but hey that may just be me.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Wingnut

Megas also used a lot of Playstation and other assorted game system controllers to have it do a lot of its various moves, so Coop's modifications are quite a unique case.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Wingnut wrote:Megas also used a lot of Playstation and other assorted game system controllers to have it do a lot of its various moves, so Coop's modifications are quite a unique case.
What about when ADA tells us to use the "circle button" in ZOE? :P

Dustin, mechs should obviously be ambidextrous, since their limbs and software shouldn't really have a limb preference. It's just that their pilots AREN'T ambidextrous, so we almost always see right-handed MS. Unless the cockpit controls vary too much for the left and right hand, there's no reason the programming/controls couldn't be switched up a little, even on the fly.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Gadget

Wingnut wrote:Megas also used a lot of Playstation and other assorted game system controllers to have it do a lot of its various moves, so Coop's modifications are quite a unique case.
Than G Gundam mobile trace system is the inspiration for the Wii :wink: