Are Bullpups the gun of the future?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Geoxile

Re: Are Bullpups the gun of the future?

Realistically the future of warfare will likely turn to unmanned machines. This has been the "next big step" since armor, planes, new weapons, etc have been introduced. Those things up until this point were mostly improvements but remotely controlled or programmed machines have been new on the scene and are getting quite a bit of spotlight as of late.
Scorchijs

Realistically the future of warfare will likely turn to unmanned machines. This has been the "next big step" since armor, planes, new weapons, etc have been introduced. Those things up until this point were mostly improvements but remotely controlled or programmed machines have been new on the scene and are getting quite a bit of spotlight as of late.
And then ... Gundams! :lol:
There's no point in listening to others. They'll either agree with you or keep saying stupid shit.
Geoxile

If they're unmanned and several times smaller then ok.
Dendrobium Stamen

blind_dead_mcjones wrote:what do you mean by what happens then?

either way at the end of the day it would come down to personal preference, some would prefer the conservative look of a conventional rifle, others will prefer the bullpup design.

though i must say it is interesting that some consider the bullpup design 'futuristic' becuase the actual idea behind it first came about in 1901, and was successfully implemented in 1977
I meant more or less what you said... it comes down to which design various armed forces choose as their standard weapon, based on the preferences of those who make that choice.

As for the futuristic "feel" of the bulldog rifle, I suppose the fact that armed forces as of 2009 have stuck with the more "conventional" assault rifle design makes it seem more advanced because it's a design that looks so different to those in widespread use. Hollywood shows use the American M16 and M4 assault rifles, and as I recall the most-produced weapon ever is the AK-47, so compared to those a bullpup rifle would look shiny and futuristic, especially using the well-known MA5B rifle from Halo and its B55 battle rifle successor as popularly-known "futuristic" rifles...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Gadget

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:In what way are bullpups worse than conventional designs in any of the categories you mentioned?
Bullpups are neither worse or better. It have to fit the overall aim of the design.

And if a bullpup and a conventional design are just as good, the final factor of which rifle will be used would be how good the company lobbying strategy and hard sell to the armed forces leaders.
fusion

As i have posted before, anyone can design a weapon, it's the mass production of it, thats a pain.

I think most weapons will stay in the realm of a conventional layout, because it's whats everyone is accustomed too. It's cheaper, easier, and faster to mass produce conventional style layout weapons, and also, faster to change as needed, replacement parts as you go along. Company's want to be flexible, to be able to produce civilian arms, as well as when the call comes, produce what a state, or goverment demands. Conventional layouts, means most company's can stay within a standard "family of arms", which then is easier to market and service. (also remember the murphy law of your weapon - it was made by the lowest bidder)

It's going to take a massive evolution of something on the battlefield to force radical retooling of weapons, and to get away from conventional thinking as well. If people haven't taken military science classes, a good place to get some idea's, is a handy little reference book - How to make war- james dunnigan.
It's a little thing, mind over matter. I don't mind, you don't matter.

Bang Bang - WR2
RedComet002

While there are some definate advantages to a bullpup style rifle over a standard style in urban environments, they don't have any real advantage over carbines, since most engagements happen well within optimal ranges for most rifles, (less than 500m) the longer barrel is not needed. Also, with carbine like the M4, the interchangeability of parts is key. Stock broke? take one of any M16 varient.
Zeonista

On the infantry level, bullup rifles do have their advantages. However, neither the USA nor Russia has ever adapted or marketed a bullpup rifle for military use. So, the bullpup design may not be all it's been cracked up to be. That being said, most of the bullpup service rifles have not been adopted by the USA and USSr because their designs lack mechanical simplicity and reliability.This is a big deal for the American and Russian militay forces, who prize ease of maintenance and functional operation in diverse environments essential for use. The adaptability factor also seems to be important, since an AK or M16 type of rifle with an equipment rail in front of the magazine can mount many different types of useful accessories. It is difficult to see many of the current bullpup weapons doing that.

All that being said, when 0080: War in the Pocket came out, bullpup weapons were going through a vogue in many circeles, and it did not seem outlandish that the EFSF could outfit its MP GMs with a bullpup rifle, and then follow it up with a longer-barreled version in Stardust Memory.The design works for the GM too; the bullpup 90mm rifle can be used 1-handed with the shield, can be reloaded with the shield-arm hand, has a natural pointing aim use, and has little need of balance issues in the steel fist of a 56-ton war machine. IMHO it also looks more reliable and useful than the standard-configuration "grease gun" 100mm rifles of 08th Platoon. Maintenance and adaptability issues can be set aside, since the MS weapons are worked on by certified technicians when they are not in use, and if the 90mm rifle won't do, then the GM pilot can tote a bazooka or a beam spraygun/pistol. So in UC Gundam terms, the bullpup is a winning design concept.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde