Known MSV-R so far

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Re: Known MSV-R so far

Yep, this is par for the course for the MSV-R series; it makes the mobile suit genealogy more complicated rather than less. :-)

It sounds from the profile like the omission of the leg thrusters may have been a result of parts shortages, since these components had to be shipped to the California Base from Granada. That may not apply to the regular G type, though. Naturally, there's no indication how this relates to the MS-14D that's now been officialized via Gundam Unicorn...

Incidentally, the ad at the lower left says that the Zaku volume of the MSV-R handbook series will be out on February 26, along with an "Action Graphics volume".

-- Mark
OGx3

now that i have looked at closely it have very similer fetures to the early desert zaku
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Frp_GFLYvcU/U ... 600/87.jpg
i guess zeon pilotes and engigeers like bunny ears :mrgreen:
Zeeks up, Feddies down
that's hood talk for i like the Zeon more then the Federation
AmuroNT1

Yeah, IIRC, the G-Type has the ability to hover that they specifically mention the GD-Type lacks. Then again, I think the main difference between the G- and A-Types is simply the removal of space-specific equipment, with those supplementary arm thrusters being swapped out for new weapons.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Gelgoog Jager

I find a bit ironic that the G-type had it's arms jet thrusters removed, considering that they were originally designed to improve mobility on Earth.

On a different note, I wonder how can we justify the existance of the G-type in the canon. I haven't played the game, but the LWC manga has the MS-14G deployed after the Battle of Odessa and before the Battle of Jaburo. Furthermore it's dropped from space in a HLV.

If we do get a official profile for the G-type later one, I hope it indicates where was the G-type produced (California being the msot likely location), and if it' not considered among the commonly mentioned figure of 165 produced Gelgoogs.

My pet theory is that the 25th prototype Gelgoog, originally meant for Char, might have been sent to Earth as a sample instead of remaining stored while Char pursued White Base on Earth. A new MS-14S could have been prepared for Char afterwards once he returned to space.

Finally, this unit further convinces me that unlike the popular belief that Zeon abandoned the troops left on Earth as soon as the war got worse, Zeon actually did seek to supply the forces left on Earth with Desert use MS, so they could survive on Africa.
toysdream

The MSV-R profile reads as follows:
In October of U.C. 0079, when MS-14 production began, the Zeon forces were confident of the usefulness of the beam weapon-equipped MS-14 and evaluated it for deployment on Earth. Engines and other basic MS-14 parts were delivered to the California Base, and the development of a land warfare type MS-14 was ordered. In about one month, they completed the MS-14G, equipped with a high mobility backpack, and a desert version of the MS-14G. It was decided to begin production at once.

Knockdown production lines were set up, with the main parts produced at Granada. But as the war situation worsened, the California Base's production capacity decreased, and for reasons such as the worsening parts supply the desert version of the MS-14G had to undergo a partial design change. The leg thruster units were removed, and the hover functions were omitted...
This puts the completion of the MS-14G and MS-14GD around November of U.C. 0079, with the California Base doing its best to put these machines into production despite the cutoff of the parts supply from Granada. That seems more or less consistent with previous descriptions of the war situation.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

toysdream wrote:It sounds from the profile like the omission of the leg thrusters may have been a result of parts shortages, since these components had to be shipped to the California Base from Granada. That may not apply to the regular G type, though. Naturally, there's no indication how this relates to the MS-14D that's now been officialized via Gundam Unicorn...

-- Mark
I would prefer to think that the Desert Gelgoog from ZZ-MSV was produced in space along with the MS-09B derived Dowadge, which could justify its external differences from the California Base version. However I do should point out that the MS-14D do lacks the traditional thrusters of a regular Gelgoog: instead of having them below the leg armor, they have been attached externally it. This do could indicate a link between both versions.

That said, the idea of having 2 versions of desert Gelgoog variant do makes me reconsider my previous idea: if the ZZ version of the MS-06D do was also produced at Side 3, along with the MS-09G and MS-14D, that could provide another possible explanation of why these machines are different from their California Base counterparts and why they all have a 1440 kW generator output (the MS-14D doesn't have its generator output listed, but most Gelgoog variants, including the redesigned MS-14F, have the same output). Another way to see this is that it is more likely that the generators of these machines came from Side 3, who produced generators of such output for their Gelgoogs, than from Federation MS.

Maybe we could consider these units the result of a very late UMP plan for producing desert units, implemented after California Base became unable to supply more units of their version of the MS-06D, the YMS-09D/MS-09D, and the MS-14G/MS-14GD to the remainign ground forces. After all, we do have confirmed that the Desert Zaku can in fact use the beam rifle of a Gelgoog, which implies that it does have all the necessary components and handplugs for doing so. I should also mention that despite its upgrades, the MS-09H also has a generator output of 1440 kW, which in tunr means that the regular Dowadge should also be able to use beam weapons.

Finally, I must admit I even feel tempted to add the Zaku Tanker to the bunch. It's basically the ground equivalent of a Musai FPT from 0080: a low cost stripped down cruiser, favoring producing quantity over individual unit quality, to provide support to all these desert units.
toysdream

That seems like a bit of a stretch to me, although I note that the reference to "engines" in the MSV-R profile - the English term is written in kana - could refer to the generator rather than thruster systems, so it's possible these components were all produced at Granada.

Once upon a time (see here and here) we were told that the high output of the Gundam's compact generators was due to the use of Luna Titanium in the reactor, which meant that these components would have to be produced in space. In other words, given One Year War-era technology, this would mean that Gundam- and Gelgoog-class generators couldn't be produced on Earth.

As for the Desert Gelgoog, if you look at the design of its legs, you'll see they're extremely similar to those of the MS-14GD! Basically, the Desert Gelgoog appears to use the same leg design, but with the missing thrusters bolted back onto the outside. (Since we've only ever seen one Desert Gelgoog, it may be a unique custom.) This may be one of the very few cases where the MSV-R series is actually trying to tie in with the broader continuity.

-- Mark
JEFFPIATT

the difference could be one model is an Factory built spec of the Ground type gelgoog fitted with Desert envoromental equiptment. and the ZZ spec is an field version where an remnant force had the blueprints and refitted an gelgoog they recovered.
Gelgoog Jager

Sorry about my previous confusing post. At first I mentioned an idea I had about the origin of the desert units:
Gelgoog Jager wrote:I would prefer to think that the Desert Gelgoog from ZZ-MSV was produced in space along with the MS-09B derived Dowadge, which could justify its external differences from the California Base version.
But then I went to mention the similarity about the legs of the two Gelgoog desert types, which kind of rejected that possibility by indicating a possible link between the two units:
Gelgoog Jager wrote:However I do should point out that the MS-14D do lacks the traditional thrusters of a regular Gelgoog: instead of having them below the leg armor, they have been attached externally it. This do could indicate a link between both versions.
The rest of the post I got carried away again with the first idea, despite already having pointed out myself the possible link between both units, since I still didn't consider it conclusive enough.

Anyway, back on topic.
toysdream wrote:As for the Desert Gelgoog, if you look at the design of its legs, you'll see they're extremely similar to those of the MS-14GD! Basically, the Desert Gelgoog appears to use the same leg design, but with the missing thrusters bolted back onto the outside. (Since we've only ever seen one Desert Gelgoog, it may be a unique custom.) This may be one of the very few cases where the MSV-R series is actually trying to tie in with the broader continuity.

-- Mark
It should also point out that the leg's back thrusters of the MS-14D looks quite similar to the ones placed on the same location on the original MS-06D units. Besides that, the MS-14D has some other odd traits besides its thrusters on the outer leg armor which make it differ from the MS-14GD. The later's main differences with a MS-14A are its head antenna, its backpack and its thruster-less legs, so let's focus on the MS-14D:

For starters, its head seems taken from a MS-14C. Something to point out is that both untis have additional parts attached to their heads: the MS-14GD has Zaku power cables attached to it's mouth, which as OGx3 pointed out, end with antennas on either side of its head, but don't go all the way aroudn the head. On the other hand, the MS-14D has some plates instead of cables (or maybe the cables are inside the plates?), which connect all around the Gelgoog's head. The antennas of the MS-06D and MS-14GD are missing, but maybe we could justify their absence to the fact that the MS-14D already has the large antenna of a MS-14C (this is the same difference between the two versions of the MS-06D built at California Base).

The arms are visible lacking any mounts for setting the exchangeable weapon/thrusters of other Gelgoog models. In fact the right arm clearly shows that there's a fixed elbow armor which seems to indicate that the arms were simplified. Also, the weapon attached to the left arm seems to be mounted around the arm instead of simply on top of the arm, which seesm to further confirm the arm's lack of traditional Gelgoog mounts.

The torso has another Zaku power cable around the waist that are connected to the backpack and two sets of thrusters on either side: two right below the shoulders and two more at the bottom of the skirt. The waist power cable is something only seen in Zaku models, which could indicate that the unit was built/customzied with Zaku parts, however the torso thrusters are something quite unsual and I would be willing to consider that they are the reason the cable is needed.

Finally we have the backpack of the MS-14D, which doesn't look like anything used by the Desert units built at California Base (whose main trait was the appearance of a large radiator and some exhaust ports probably for blowing sand). Instead it looks like the backpack of a MS-14G replacing the traditional circular thrusters with large vent-looking thusters, like the one seen on the backpacks of the MS-06R series. The MS-14D's backpack also has a scope not seen in other desert use models.

In short we have:
-The head and backpack seem to be taken from units which seem to have been only deployed in space.
-Leg thrusters indicate a strong influence from MS designed at California Base.
-The arms seem to have been simplified and seem to lack the mounts for attaching known forearm gear for the Gelgoog models This could either be a cost-cutting measure or an indication of lack of available parts to mount on them.
-The waist cable is unusual for a Gelgoog type, but so are the torso thrusters.

What should we make out of it? Built on space? Built on Earth? Post-war upgrade? A combination of these?
toysdream

"Custom MS that guards Kycilia Zabi." Well, okay then...

-- Mark
Xenosynth

Of all the custom Gyan MS that could be in MSV, of all the cool things they could possible do with it after we've had the likes of the high-mobility and the krieger...

we gyan fans get that? >_> As much I prefer the Gyan not to have a silly spike on the head, replacing it with silly camera-mohawk is not what I had in mind. And that odd spear weapon with a rifle under it... I don't know. I guess it's not too bad but it's just a bit gaudy and silly to me.

Armaments:
Giant Baz
Something with the shield
Beam... something or another. Going to have to see better scans to translate the katakana.
toysdream

Beam bayonet, I think. That would be the goofy spear thing.

And yes, at this point, we can probably say that a good portion of the MSV-R series consists of things nobody was really desperate to see. (Like the underwater Newtype Grublo!)

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

I would have preferred to see the original YMS-15 prototype before M'quve modified it to ift his personal tastes. That said, I do think I actually like this version a bit better than M'quve's. I wodner if both remaining YMS-15 were modified like this? That would basically make them the predecessors to the Gazu-L and Gazu-R.

The beam bayonet would suggest that the Gyan series do is capable of using ranged beam weapons. Also, the shield seems to have been so severly downgraded. Not only the 56 needle missles have been removed and the beam sword is not even mentioned, but also the number of hide bombs seems to have been reduced from 10 to 8 tubes.
toysdream wrote:And yes, at this point, we can probably say that a good portion of the MSV-R series consists of things nobody was really desperate to see. (Like the underwater Newtype Grublo!)

-- Mark
I read in the wikia that this Grublo went down the RB-79M route: after the tests were completed, the prototype was modifed back into a regular Grublo. Also, if this unit tested underwater bits, wouldn't that mean that Zeon finally developed a large underwater beam weapon, much like the one that was intended to be equipped in the Grublo's mouth, much like the Bygro's MPC.
Deacon Blues

Well, we finally have some official names:

MS-05R Big-Ruf
MAN-00X-2 Bra-rello
RGM-79U GM Sloep
toysdream

The MS Encyclopedia has it as "GM Sloep" and "Brarello" (no hyphen), and forgets to include the Big Ruf.

At first I thought "Sloep" was just a mangled version of "Sloop", but it turns out that this is the Dutch word from which the English "sloop" was derived, so okay then. :-)

-- Mark
Last edited by toysdream on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowCell

:\ i thought it was a typo
Deacon Blues

toysdream wrote:The MS Encyclopedia has it as "GM Sloep" and "Brarello" (no hyphen), and forgets to include the Big Ruf.

At first I thought "Sloep" was just a mangled version of "Sloop", but it turns out that this is the Dutch word from which the English "sloop" was derived, so okay then. :-)

-- Mark
Huh, not sure how to interpret the Action Graphic book then... (Though it does have Gundom :P)
toysdream

I would interpret it as "Boy, those Japanese writers sure love their hyphens!" :-)

EDIT: Are you looking at the Action Graphic book, or the "MSV-R Graphic Document" book compiled by the Dengeki Hobby staff? I don't think the Action Graphic volume is out yet.

-- Mark