Are the Musha Gundam and Musha Gundam MK II super robots?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.

Are the Musha and Musha MK II Super or real robots?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 13
Wing Zero Destiny

Are the Musha Gundam and Musha Gundam MK II super robots?

From Dynasty Warriors Gundam are the Mushas super or real robots? they can think and in DWG2 it says the Musha has DG Cells like the Dark and Master Gundam and the Turn X and those are classified as super robots So should the Musha be too?
Gundam!
Amadi Akintunde

Re: Are the Musha Gundam and Musha Gundam MK II super robots?

Since when were the Turn Gundams classified as Super Robots?
ZeroBusterXX

Oh the Mushas are definitely Super Robots. Giant Samurai robots are always Super.

The Turn A and Turn X are a bit tougher, but due to their, um, extreme abilities I want to say they are super as well.

Really though, classifying a robot as "super" or "real" is kind of pointless. I mean, most of the mecha in real robot shows do things that put the original Mazinger or Getter to shame. I think the real/super thing is really only a matter of style. I mean, the 00 was definitely strong, but it was played straight and not as though it was a mighty castle of mostly blue E Carbon.
Wing Zero Destiny

Amadi Akintunde wrote:Since when were the Turn Gundams classified as Super Robots?
I think it has to do with the fact that they wiped out all tech on Earth and the ZOINKS they pull in the novel.
and I thought the classifation for a super Robot was a robot with sometimes zany designs that either defies physics,has magic/KI power or is intelligent/alive(Evangelions definitely fit this)
Gundam!
ShadowCell

Giant robots all defy physics.
Bright Noa

ShadowCell wrote:Giant robots all defy physics.
And then there are the ones created by Go Nagai that.....do unsightly and "bizzare" acts to the laws of physics.
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
Calubin_175

Most AU Gundams are Super Robots by performance, but real by technical background, similar to EVA. By performance Iam referring to indestructible armor, light speed, unlimited energy, excessive weapon devices, one shot all kill super weapons. Eva was just giant and biological which made it super.

The rest of the Mobile Suits in AU and all UC units are mostly overtechnology real types that utilizes minovosky/GN physics, while some are more hard sci-fi including the Flag and Tieren.

The 00 S1 Celestial Being Gundams are technically overtechnology but are perceived as Super Robots in the sight of hard sci-fi mecha users. That was the most interesting part of 00 until in S2, where they introduced Yuusha Gattai 00 Raiser and secondary Yuusha Gundams unilaterally overwhelming the GN Tau overtechnology units. Reborns Gundam is also a plauisble Super Robot, while the Bushido units are super robot antagonist wannabes.

Namely, AU involves Super Robots in a predominant real robot context, with Gundam X being the least heavy. Turn A is just a different genre altogether, more like mystical/mythical robots similar to Brain Powerd and some others. I think the preference for Super and Real performance is the primary distinguishing factor between the fandom of UC and the AUs.

Being a UC and mecha fan who grew up with mecha anime in the 90s, I actually have a good friend who is primarily right brained, only likes AU Gundam designs and anime since he did not grow up liking realistic mecha while preferring super robots in a real context. He doesn't understand the value of a "standard mobile suit" which lacks super/specialty weapons. I am also an underdog sympathizer and an economical person, hence I like fully commissioned mass production units more. Even though a unit equipped with a beam rifle, a saber and a shield along with reasonable maneuverability, has no comparative advantage, it is sufficient to defeat any enemy including the Freedom and Wing. So I'll just discard any plot armor and director bias used for product marketing.
InjuredPelican

Are Super Robots only super in certain contexts? I think the Turn A falls into over technology, because suits like the SUMO could fight it okay, but suits way below in the technological scheme, like Zakus and Kapools, had no chance. To me the Turn A was to a Zaku, as a Tank against a medieval knight. So far apart in capabilities, but it makes sense.
The Musha Gundams kind of remind me of G Gundam: nifty designs, but not practical at all in the real world, making their superb performance and abilities Super.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
Imperial

The entire Super and Real categorization is largely arbitrary at this point. The lines have been so thoroughly blurred that it's impossible to tell half the time. That it's even up for debate is indicative of how little the Real and Super Robot labels really mean.

But in the interest of being more than a naysayer, I'll chip in and say the Mushas are probably Supers, if anything. They come off as fairly mysterious, with a lot of ill-defined mumbo jumbo surrounding them to justify how incredibly unbalanced they are.
This space for rent
Kuruni

No, unless we're talking about SD Musha Gundam.

Super robot need to be embodies of courage and justice. AI control Getter Dragon is mere powerful robot.

That being said, I found few like Zeorymer as exception...
My girlfriend was a loli.
quasadra

to me real follow physics to an extend, while super make physics for itself. but there are always exception.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Gundam Enzyklopadist

Interesting discussion, but back to the topic:

I personally think the Musha Gundam and Musha Gundam Mk. II are real robots in Gundam-sense, since their behavior is controlled by an AI, similar to A.L.I.C.E. and have not breaking any "rules" of Gundam. I know A.L.I.C.E. is different from the AI from the Musha Gundam´s, but it is in way related.

If I recall correctly, in the end of the Musha Gundam scenario it is possible to pilot them in the normal MS way. That sounds plausible for me.

It is also the story and the background for me what decides if it is a Real Robot or a Super Robot.

This is my opinion and my view.

-- Henning