just thinking aloud: plasma technology, planets, and a ring

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Kenji

Re: just thinking aloud: plasma technology, planets, and a ring

Well, there is Veda. According to some supplementary sources (which I've heard secondhand, unfortunately), it's been in control of the world for the last hundred-or-so years,
Spoiler
all the way through the television series.
It's comparable to GW or JD, though with less personality.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Genocide

Let's not forget DOME, which while not a genuine AI, fits all the general descriptions of one.
Kuruni

Genocide wrote:Let's not forget DOME, which while not a genuine AI, fits all the general descriptions of one.
Somehow I forgot George Glenn GG unit from Astray.
My girlfriend was a loli.
hellbore

Kuruni wrote:
Genocide wrote:Let's not forget DOME, which while not a genuine AI, fits all the general descriptions of one.
Somehow I forgot George Glenn GG unit from Astray.
There's also 8 from the same series
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
blind_dead_mcjones

and then there's the devil gundam, the mobile doll system in wing, the stargazer also had the beginnings of an A.I too but it wasn't taught much before the the EA came knocking, schwartz bruder also counts to a degree
Flag Fighter for life!
santadi0
Location: Cryosleep in Cryotube 2... Oh, wait, the Covenant are here?!?!

...But nothing like Cortana in the series. Not only very very very intelligent and useful, but also... human (sense of humor, sarcasm, battlefield jitters, etc). The Mobile Dolls have AI, but not smart AI. I have to give credit to Schwarz Bruder though, he was created from a human being, in essence the same way Halo's AI's are made..
"Don Corleone--I am going to leave you now--- because I know-- that you are busy"
ShadowCell

So basically, you want the droids from Star Wars.
ZeroBusterXX

santadi0 wrote:...But nothing like Cortana in the series. Not only very very very intelligent and useful, but also... human (sense of humor, sarcasm, battlefield jitters, etc). The Mobile Dolls have AI, but not smart AI. I have to give credit to Schwarz Bruder though, he was created from a human being, in essence the same way Halo's AI's are made..
Dude, there IS an AI like this in the Gundam franchise. I forgot you don't pay any heed to 00 supplementary material. There is a human-like, holographically-represented AI called Hanayo. And she meets every single one of your requirements.

Once again, I'll say what I said waaaay back when in that Tri-Drive topic: Check the supplementary materials out.
Kuruni

santadi0 wrote:...But nothing like Cortana in the series. Not only very very very intelligent and useful, but also... human (sense of humor, sarcasm, battlefield jitters, etc).
Same with GG Unit. In fact, GG unit joking around because he found his sense of humor lacking when he was human.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dean_the_Young

Red Comet90 wrote: Yes, but is it completely indestructible? No it isn't. Super Robots tend to be powered by will and other such things.
The Turn A was virtually indestructible (the 'if one piece survives, it WILL regenerate completely'), but that misses a point: not even most Super Robots are 'completely' indestructible. Gurren Lagann, for example, got thrashed and heavily damaged a number of times, and no one can deny that it was Super Robot. The God Gundam, which also ran on will power, also got heavily damaged various times.

You don't even have to run on will power to be a super robot. That's a signifier, not a requirement.

The Turn X is grounded in technology that is part of the real robot genre. It is merely just using the same technology to a whole new level because it combines all of the best abilities of UC and AU.
By the same logic, all super robots 'merely' use technology for their strengths as well. Super robots aren't so much when they leave behind explained technology entirely, but rather when they reach the point where technology is indistinguishable from magic. Turn A certain qualifies for that point.

Its abilities make it seem super but its grounded in real robot precedents. And plenty of other Gundam shows have the Gundams displaying Super Robot abilities. Do we ever see the Nu Gundam labeled as a Super Robot even though it pushes back Axis? Nope.
Actually, we do. Zeta entered super-robot territory when it became invincible to beam rifles with the deus ex biocomputer. ZZ as well. They certainly do qualify for Super Robot once they start doing that. The difference is that they largely refrain from doing so for most of their presentation. The Turn A Gundam at it's design specs...
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Red Comet90

The Gurren Lagann is a special case since its a meshing of the two rather well. IIRC it regenerates damage to its leg at some point in the show. I realize will is a signifier, but when something as intangible as will becomes the driving force of the Mecha its obvious that its Super Robot. Even the God and Shining Gundam can operate without will....only the super modes need the emotional state. These technologies are all unexplainable while the Turn X and Turn A seem to have god like powers its just an extension of what we've already seen done in other UC shows. It doesn't create drills from thin air it warps them, it doesn't regenerate instantly it regenerates over time. Another thing to note is that if Z and ZZ are not super robot only because they slightly enter into Super Robot powers then how come the Ideon is clearly known as a Super Robot yet most of its attacks that are considers "super" only occur once or twice in the show?

I feel Super Robot and Real are both the same its just that Real Robot tries to give it in a real setting and without making us suspend our disbelief from it too much. I feel the Turn A and Turn X didn't deviate from this since they are grounded in what UC had already stated but to another level.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Dean_the_Young

Red Comet90 wrote:The Gurren Lagann is a special case since its a meshing of the two rather well. IIRC it regenerates damage to its leg at some point in the show. I realize will is a signifier, but when something as intangible as will becomes the driving force of the Mecha its obvious that its Super Robot. Even the God and Shining Gundam can operate without will....only the super modes need the emotional state. These technologies are all unexplainable while the Turn X and Turn A seem to have god like powers its just an extension of what we've already seen done in other UC shows.
Oh, they're explainable: 'technology does it.' Which is the same reason Turn X justifies anything it does: made up techno babble.

That Turn X and Turn A borrow a number of super-robotish things from other UC gundam doesn't change that, well, they're super-robot things it borrows. Gundam is far from a 'pure' real robot show. Macross is far closer.

It doesn't create drills from thin air it warps them,
Warping is super-robot distinctive. There is no scientific basis for it.
it doesn't regenerate instantly it regenerates over time.
Regeneration, especially of the living pilot as well, is strictly a super-robot trait. There is no real technology or basis for it.

[qutoe]Another thing to note is that if Z and ZZ are not super robot only because they slightly enter into Super Robot powers then how come the Ideon is clearly known as a Super Robot yet most of its attacks that are considers "super" only occur once or twice in the show?[/quote]I don't know. Why would a mobile suit with limitless power and destructive potential be described as Super Robot?

If you note, I was actually saying that Z and ZZ should be considered super-robot for violating that rule. So the question you pose to me works against you the moment I agree and say "Yes, Z and ZZ were super robots like Ideon, if not on the same caliber." (The Zeta, for example, wasn't head and shoulders above everything else not of its own type in the series, even with its super robot powers.)

I feel Super Robot and Real are both the same its just that Real Robot tries to give it in a real setting and without making us suspend our disbelief from it too much. I feel the Turn A and Turn X didn't deviate from this since they are grounded in what UC had already stated but to another level.
That level, unfortunately, requires far more suspension of disbelief than the early UC. The Turn A shows a number of super-robot tells: virtually indestructible armor invulnerable to enemy attacks, weapons surpassing all but a peer-suit end-boss rival, thruster-less flight, warping, regeneration, and of course has a 'destroy EVERYTHING in the solar system' attack.

Those all require quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, even as you hide behind UC AND AU and specially created technobabble BS.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
ZeroBusterXX

Dean_the_Young wrote:Macross is far closer.

Until the Sound Force shows up.

In all seriousness, the Turn A and the Turn X are Super Robots. It can regenerate ANYTHING IN IT, teleport (sure, we got another teleporting Gundam, but it wasn't quite as mystical seeming as this), nanomachines that spread to Jupiter, do I need to go on?

And in the way the Turn A was treated, it's treated like some mystical, almost god-like idol. No "real robot" is ever treated like this, and when it all boils down to it, that's the only distinction between "reals" and "supers" sometimes. Even then, the classification is unnecessary nowadays.

Just compare nearly any modern "real robot" to say Mazinger Z or (the original, not Shin) Jeeg and tell me which one's got the edge in a fight, or seems for out there.

Some things are always going to be "super" no matter what though. Ex: Regeneration, teleportation, powered by will, the color green, rocket punches, etc...
Red Comet90

You are missing the entire point of my last post. Its not whether the Z Gundam can create large beam sabres and create I field's from thin air because of its pilots will. If it were then almost every MS in UC would be a Super Robot because they are quite capable of it. All MS or MA equipped with a Psycommu are technically able to do the things the Zeta and ZZ do and for some reason a Zalu III without any newtype technology is able to do this.

Getting back to my point, a real robot is merely a super robot hiding behind the fake wall called real robot. Honestly there is no such thing as real and if you look at it Turn A does take the time to explain the things it does. Rather than saying we have magical GN particles that reach from Earth to Jupiter we have Nanomachines. It doesn't have a black hole gun, but a Beam Rifle capable of doing extraordinary things because technology had progressed so far.

In the end all of the things these mecha do is super. Real just feels the need to make it plausible to an extent.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
hellbore

Red Comet90 wrote:In the end all of the things these mecha do is super. Real just feels the need to make it plausible to an extent.
I think the word your looking for is justify. Real Robots more justify their technologies as some are in no way plausible.
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
ShadowCell

I think what would really help here is to distinguish between "real robot" and "super robot" as genres into which the entire show might fall, not classifications for particular mecha. If you insist on the latter, then you wind up having to rationalize stuff like the 00 Raiser's Naked Newtype Dreamy World and the Zeta/ZZ's biosensor as "real robot" stuff, and as evidenced by this thread and others, that is not easy to do.
santadi0
Location: Cryosleep in Cryotube 2... Oh, wait, the Covenant are here?!?!

Ok... I almost forgot Hanayo...
about the "human" AI's; what would be ideal for them in Gundam would be if... they were more "conventional" and numerous... The Haros are "pet" AI's, though they can handle many things, Schwarz was, well just one guy, and Hanayo was just one AI. In Halo you have (as the books and games say) Cortana, Deja, Beowulf, and all the others who proved themselves useful in the Human-Covenant conflict. If I'm not mistaken, I think they need )or is recommended to have) one AI per-starshipship. The UNSC has many starships.
If Veda could talk, think, and feel like a human being not removing any part of its vast bulk of information as a cost, then I'd scrap Halo's AIs and go with it instead...
"Don Corleone--I am going to leave you now--- because I know-- that you are busy"
blind_dead_mcjones

define human, if your basing that on their physical appearance, thats a hologram, yet another staple of science fiction that frequently pops up, on the flip side if your basing it on their thought pattern, how is it thinking like a human a good thing? considering that most humans are far from rational and frequently make descisions with little to no logic to them at all, how does that benefit a computer system, the key defining trait of artifical intelligence is that they don't think like a human would, it does not use emotions in its thought process as they would only serve to hinder said process

also what would be the purpose of adding these, ignoring the fact thay your using a bland overrated run-of-the-mill video game series as a reference when there are far better examples to make your case, all your reasons for adding them all boil down to 'for the sake of adding them' which will just add pointless clutter and not actually serve any benefit to the narrative
Flag Fighter for life!
quasadra

i think he want a robot girlfriend in gundam.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Gadget

There is already Andromeda Ascendant :mrgreen: She is HOT :wink:

How about a cosplay Haro?