[UC Gundam] Funnel use in atmosphere?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Haman

[UC Gundam] Funnel use in atmosphere?

I'm wondering if funnels can be used in the atmosphere in UC Gundam?

I know in Gundam vs Zeta Gundam, the Qubeley can use them on Earth, but its a game setting. In limiting it just to the anime, I cant recall an example where they are used in the lower atmosphere or on Earth.

I'm thinking they cant be. Is there a general consensus on it?
hellbore

Re: [UC Gundam] Funnel use in atmosphere?

I believe that in general it's a no, but the Qubeley MK. II and the Psyco Gundam Mk. II both use their funnels after the Ireland colony drop in Gundam ZZ. Though that may have been in free-fall, it's been a while since I seen ZZ.
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
Red Comet90

Hellbore you are correct. Both the Qubeley Mark II and the Psycho Gundam Mark II use their funnels in atmosphere and IIRC the Psycho Gundam Mk. II uses reflector bits. According to the MAHQ profile of the Qubeley Mk. II says that the only difference technically is the addition of 2 funnels. So the original Qubeley can use its funnels in the atmosphere as well.

Btw Haman is awesome. :mrgreen:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Dark Duel

That's not entirely accurate, as the Qubeley MkII's beam saber is slightly different from the original Qubeley's. But I nitpick, and it really doesn't matter.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Red Comet90

Dark Duel wrote:That's not entirely accurate, as the Qubeley MkII's beam saber is slightly different from the original Qubeley's. But I nitpick, and it really doesn't matter.
Is that in the show as well? I know in game it has a different beam shape than the normal Qubeley but does it appear that way in the animation as well?

-- Haman Karn
Dark Duel

I know it's definitely different on the MGs. Having not watched either in quite a long time, I can't be 100% certain. But I think it was.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Haman

Thanks all. The aforementioned scene in ZZ was also the only one I could come up with too, but that was more in upper atmosphere if I recall, and could be much more akin to space use than actual atmospheric use at ground level. I'd consider it a "no" too, Qubeley included, but I just wished to get some more opinions. That one scene sort of allows the Qubeley to go one way or the other on the issue, depending on interpretation.
Red Comet90 wrote:Btw Haman is awesome. :mrgreen:
Yeah she is. 8)
Red Comet90

Haman wrote:Thanks all. The aforementioned scene in ZZ was also the only one I could come up with too, but that was more in upper atmosphere if I recall, and could be much more akin to space use than actual atmospheric use at ground level. I'd consider it a "no" too, Qubeley included, but I just wished to get some more opinions. That one scene sort of allows the Qubeley to go one way or the other on the issue, depending on interpretation.
No problem. The scene in the upper atmosphere is pretty much space so that doesn't really count as the atmosphere IMO. What's interesting though is the ability for the bits to fly on their own. I wonder if this technology is in the funnels as well. It could honestly go either way if there is no official word since the bits don't show any signs of using verniers to stay aloft so who knows. The idea of a minovsky craft system inside the bits makes no sense either since it was too large back then to put in a bit. With that in mind I'd probably have to say it would work in atmosphere. Watch someone come in and have proof otherwise. :lol:
Haman wrote:Yeah she is. 8)
Now just wait until Destiny Gundam calls you a masochist for being a fan. :lol:

-- Haman Karn
Haman

Red Comet90 wrote:Now just wait until Destiny Gundam calls you a masochist for being a fan. :lol:
Haha. I happily await being called out. :mrgreen:
SNT1

The scene in the upper atmosphere is pretty much space so that doesn't really count as the atmosphere IMO.
You still have 95% of Earth's gravity in upper atmosphere. So, either the bits/funnels can float on their own, or moving at orbital speed.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Wingnut

SNT1 wrote:
The scene in the upper atmosphere is pretty much space so that doesn't really count as the atmosphere IMO.
You still have 95% of Earth's gravity in upper atmosphere. So, either the bits/funnels can float on their own, or moving at orbital speed.
Or they're just in freefall along with the mobile suits as well. The two are simply falling at a similar enough speed that it looks like they can float on their own.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Geoxile

The last time the term free-fall was applied as far as I recall was when I was last marathoning Zeta and the MK.II and Gaplant were flying around. Free fall my arse, they were zooming up and down and sideways and crap and she calls it freefall?
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Geoxile wrote:The last time the term free-fall was applied as far as I recall was when I was last marathoning Zeta and the MK.II and Gaplant were flying around. Free fall my arse, they were zooming up and down and sideways and crap and she calls it freefall?
If the camera is also in freefall, a mobile suit wouldn't have problems flying up and down relative to its view. =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Geoxile

No it seemed fairly static for a lot of the scenes. The only moving objects were the suits for most of the fight
Genocide

Uh... the funnels were used more than just in the upper atmosphere. I recall seeing them used after the ZZ shows up and all three machines (including the Qubeley and Psyco Gundam Mk II) were well grounded. Really, the only obstruction I can think of would be propellant consumption, although given how long battles last it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Also, with regards to the whole free-fall argument, keep in mind that even the original RX-78 Gundam could maintain its jump thrusters long enough to appear as though it were "flying". One would assume with lighter materials and better technology, mobile suits in Zeta can give off at least a similar illusion of "flight". Hence while they may appear zooming around while airborne, they're still basically in free fall and simply manipulating their jump thrusters to stay afloat and maneuver around.
SNT1

Uh... the funnels were used more than just in the upper atmosphere. I recall seeing them used after the ZZ shows up and all three machines (including the Qubeley and Psyco Gundam Mk II) were well grounded. Really, the only obstruction I can think of would be propellant consumption, although given how long battles last it wouldn't be that much of an issue.
If that's the case (Haven't seen ZZ!) then is it safe to assume that any other remotes past ZZ can also use funnels in the atmosphere? After all, just because we don't see the Nu and Sazabi and the Dogas using remotes in Earth doesn't mean they couldn't. Granted, unless someone unearths some official MS tech book and comes along to say that 'funnels/bits don't work in atmosphere' I think it's reasonable to assume otherwise...

Yeah I know that last paragraph sounds too speculative in nature, but the facts are: We've seen the funnels and bits work on earth.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/