The Official 00 Mecha Thread Mk XV

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ShadowCell

The Official 00 Mecha Thread Mk XV

Last thread hit thirty pages, etc. Since there is information coming out now about the movie, this thread is where to go. We would appreciate it if you resist the urge to indulge in rampant, baseless speculation, to use the spoiler tags as needed, and to not be jerks.
Gone Astray wrote:Well, "Quantus/a/um!" has connotations of, well, quantity (or mass or size). It's likely a reference to the Twin Drive's output, especially in Trans-Am Burst, or to its ability to manipulate quantum physics--I think that its name being a proclamation of greatness is an unintentional bonus.
plau

Re: The Official 00 Mecha Thread Mk XV

Has anyone been able to find a scan of the Gundam 00 MS development charts yet?
Patrick Lau <ZGMF-X20A>
Knights of the Round
Amadi Akintunde

plau wrote:Has anyone been able to find a scan of the Gundam 00 MS development charts yet?
Where would those be found? If they event exist?
plau

Amadi Akintunde wrote:
plau wrote:Has anyone been able to find a scan of the Gundam 00 MS development charts yet?
Where would those be found? If they event exist?
I think they were on Official File No. 6 or something like that. But I'm sure they exist.
Patrick Lau <ZGMF-X20A>
Knights of the Round
SonicSP

plau wrote:I think they were on Official File No. 6 or something like that. But I'm sure they exist.

Yes,they were showned in the S2 Official File 6,but no one has managed to find a scan of the picture yet.Nobdy scanned it.
VentZX wrote:This isn't a Masurao prototype, at all. The Masurao was developed seperately from the Ahead line by Billy, using good old Union aesthetics. The Aheads clearly use HRL mentality. If you ask me, and this purely specualtion, the Neo-hed looks like it is a prototype for the mass production of the GNX-704T/SP Ahead Smultron. I say this because it obviously has very close similarities to the Smultron, namely the binder on the back, and its model number has a Y, which is usually used to designate a prototype, and the 802 puts it after the 704 of the Aheads, but before the 901 of the Susano'o.

Again Teraoka decides to use some odd color combination for this machine. It's like he really wanted to incorporate the color scheme of the Space Tieren while still making it obvious it's an Ahead. The design itself is weird at first glance, but not bad. Teraoka's line art is always a bit odd looking.
Actually,I remember it was mentioned somewhere that the Original Masuruo prototype looked alot like the Ahead;that was the MS in development by A-LAWS,it was only after Billy and co came in and took over development that they modified it into a more Flag-like mobile suit,the pride of Union engineering.

I'm not to sure whether this is the actual Masuruo prototype,one way or the other.The model number may be a reference to something else.If it is a prototype of Masuruo,I'm sure the profile would mention it though.It does share similarities to the Ahead Simultron though.
azrael

SonicSP wrote:Actually,I remember it was mentioned somewhere that the Original Masuruo prototype looked alot like the Ahead;that was the MS in development by A-LAWS,it was only after Billy and co came in and took over development that they modified it into a more Flag-like mobile suit,the pride of Union engineering.
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?p=255286#p255286

This is from the Bandai-Gunpla website description of the model.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
toysdream

Here's the description from the MSV profile for the Neo-Hed:
A next generation machine developed using data that was gathered using machines such as the GNX-704T/AC Sakigake and GNX-704T/SP Smultron as testbeds. The developers' plan was to divide the Federation's mass production machines into two series, with a new model of GN-X as a lightweight mobile suit and this machine as a heavy mobile suit. However, when the scandalous actions of the A-LAWS were revealed to the world, for the sake of public opinion they had no choice but to cancel the development of a machine based on the Ahead which had effectively been exclusive to the A-LAWS.

The most distinctive feature of this machine was the elimination of its head. Thanks to this unusual style, this machine, which was originally to be called "neo head," became known as "no head" and the name stuck. Although it had no problems with performance, this tragic machine ended with little more than ten prototypes due to political decisions.
As for the lack of a head, here's the explanation from the following page:
Combat data had made it clear that the sensors concentrated in the head were often hit and destroyed in battle. Thus, in this machine the head was eliminated, and the sensors were distributed throughout the body.
-- Mark
TakaTahuNuva

toysdream wrote:As for the lack of a head, here's the explanation from the following page:
Combat data had made it clear that the sensors concentrated in the head were often hit and destroyed in battle. Thus, in this machine the head was eliminated, and the sensors were distributed throughout the body.
-- Mark
About time someone in the Gundam universe finally realized that...
ohhhh snap
Calubin_175

The GN-X's head sensors could be potentially disabled by linear gun fire according to the Klaus' Enact chapter. I guess apart from Patrick losing his head two times against Celestial Being, Katharon may have been disabling GNX series units as well. Lockon's sniping might also have done the same.

Regarding the colouring of the Neo-hed, the data implies that the blue accents are only for trial units.

Since both the Ahead Long Tail and Neo-hed share the same color scheme and are designated as ESF, would that mean that ESF develops and tests trials models and then passes them onto A-Laws? But of course, the Ahead is not intended to be a mainstay grunt unit, as the controls are not for the average pilot, similar to the GM Custom and GM Command. Hence, that is why ESF keeps all the GN-X frames. I have a gut feeling that the GN-X IV will be an 800 or 900 series. The Neo-hed examplified that common frames can cross between design series.
radioactive28

toysdream wrote:Here's the description from the MSV profile for the Neo-Hed:

[...]

As for the lack of a head, here's the explanation from the following page:
-- Mark
Thanks.
So, presumably, the green slots on the legs and arms are sensors.
Did they say anything about why a solid blade was included?
Amadi Akintunde

But wait; if the head got scrapped from the design, wouldn't the cockpit be the next obvious target? The suit is really just a double edged sword here.
Rawinder

Amadi Akintunde wrote:But wait; if the head got scrapped from the design, wouldn't the cockpit be the next obvious target? The suit is really just a double edged sword here.
Enemies are going to target the cockpit anyway, whether or not your MS has a head. At least with the Neo-Head design, there's never a risk of fighting blind.
SonicSP

I thought MS usually have cameras in more than one location the head.I swear there was at least an instance where the head was destroyed and the suit still had view.......can't remember any exact instances though but the thought came to me.

OF course,the other sensors may be gone though if the heads is destroyed.

[EDIT]

The only instance I can remember is Garazzo's head being damaged [Not destroyed] in S2 12.
Newtype87

SonicSP wrote:I thought MS usually have cameras in more than one location the head.I swear there was at least an instance where the head was destroyed and the suit still had view.......can't remember any exact instances though but the thought came to me.

OF course,the other sensors may be gone though if the heads is destroyed.

[EDIT]

The only instance I can remember is Garazzo's head being damaged [Not destroyed] in S2 12.
I think the thing is that the primary and most powerful/sensitive sensors are mounted in the head (to give them maximum field of vision, I suppose, by mounting them on a part of the body designed for looking in different directions), while the rest of the sensors are stuff like ground sonar sensors in the feet and a handful of regular cameras to feed images to the cockpit monitors. Take away the head, and you lose the best sensors you've got. The No-Head, I am guessing, just eliminates the single location and spreads the best sensors around the suit. Probably adds a few more too. An interesting idea, but I have to think that the single central module with all of the censors and such mounted in it makes it a lot easier to maintain.
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Gelmax

Amadi Akintunde wrote:But wait; if the head got scrapped from the design, wouldn't the cockpit be the next obvious target? The suit is really just a double edged sword here.
The cockpit, though, can be better protected - there's a limit to the amount of armor you can put on sensors, for obvious reasons, and thus they tend to be vulnerable to weak attacks that wouldn't even dent the cockpit hatch. For example, in one of the early Innovator defeats, 00 used a wide beam spray to blind the enemy MS - it destroyed the sensors immediately, even though the rest of the head and neck took little more than cosmetic damage. On the other hand, to take out the cockpit, you have to deliver a direct hit to the mech's torso with enough strength to pierce the thickest parts of the MS's outer armor, in which case it doesn't really matter if the cockpit's hit or not because there's gonna be heavy damage done whether the cockpit's hit or not.
Gadget

Put it on the back like the Raizer. Or lower it down to between the legs, like Turn A. :lol: (None of that knee in that area joke.)

But in battle, I'm am not playing some sniper game that I'll get extra points for 'head shot', I just aim and hope that my shot will hit the target. And the bigger target is the torso.
SonicSP

Regardless,of where the sensors are placed,people will be thinking of the cockpit anyway and the cockpit will be the more desisive target.But as mentioned,the cockpit is better protected.

There is also the case of one not knowing where the cockpit might actually be,the actual location varies with different MS design,so when facing a new unique suit,your ultimately left guessing.

The head may be a good target,but its not a decisive one as the MS can still battle after that,even with reduced capability.So,the MS weaknesses are actually evenly spreadout in many parts,each one with their own roles.

In the case of the GN-X,they do have a serious head problem.They do lose it quite often,as mentioned in the Neo-Hed profile,Katharon targets it alot but they are not alone.In S2-03 alone,Celestial Being took out 3 GN-X heads.Arios,Cherudim and 00 each got their own fills in that one.

Maybe that's because they're the most mass produced GN MS.
azrael

People have a tendency to aim for the largest part of the body, namely the chest. So removing the head would probably not make much of a difference in the long run.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
SonicSP

By the way,have we gotten any translated data on the HG Gadess?Its been awhile and I have not seen any.I don't think there's any on the HG Arios GNHW either.
Duraham

azrael wrote:People have a tendency to aim for the largest part of the body, namely the chest. So removing the head would probably not make much of a difference in the long run.

not if you are an infantry.

Bear in mind that insurgent forces, terrorism, etc are still extremely rampant during these times, and also that the weapons of the enacts, flags, realdos, hellions, tierens, anfs etc can't seem to penetrate and destroy the armour on these new GN MS, you will most likely just go for disabling the enemy and then running for your life after you acheived your objective. Or if you happen to be on foot, just aim for the head with your rocket launcher and hope for the best.

When the A-LULZ are around, just about the only real threat they face are from CB. The rest of the time they are just simply bullying the Kataron and other local terrorist groups. Because not much of their enemies can actually destroy their MS, the enemy will tend to try to disable them instead, to put them out of action. Hence, the high rates of headshots.