Destiny Gundam's Shield

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Flame-X

Destiny Gundam's Shield

Can someone explain to me why Destiny Gundam needs a shield when the suit already has 2 beam shields mounted on the wrists? Unless those beam shields can only block beam based weapons, I don't see any other reason why it needs an extra shield.
azrael

Re: Destiny Gundam's Shield

It's probably to assists when using the Arondight AS-sword. Since the sword is a 2-handed weapon, Destiny can't release a hand to deploy the shield and use the sword properly. So the physical shield would be useful for faster deploying than releasing a hand to deploy a beam shield.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
pd771

Flame-X wrote:Can someone explain to me why Destiny Gundam needs a shield when the suit already has 2 beam shields mounted on the wrists? Unless those beam shields can only block beam based weapons, I don't see any other reason why it needs an extra shield.
Same question could be applied to Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice. The answer, IMO, is that it makes no sense, and was simply bad design.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
Deathonator

pd771 wrote:
Flame-X wrote:Can someone explain to me why Destiny Gundam needs a shield when the suit already has 2 beam shields mounted on the wrists? Unless those beam shields can only block beam based weapons, I don't see any other reason why it needs an extra shield.
Same question could be applied to Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice. The answer, IMO, is that it makes no sense, and was simply bad design.
Strike Freedom doesn't have any shield except for the Beam Shields; Infinite Justice ONLY has a Beam Shield on it's mounted/carried shield and in lieu of that the shield has the Boomerang and the Anchor. Destiny's shield is different from it's Beam Shields in that it uses EDA like Impulses shield...for whatever it's worth.
pd771

Deathonator wrote:
pd771 wrote:
Strike Freedom doesn't have any shield except for the Beam Shields; Infinite Justice ONLY has a Beam Shield on it's mounted/carried shield and in lieu of that the shield has the Boomerang and the Anchor. Destiny's shield is different from it's Beam Shields in that it uses EDA like Impulses shield...for whatever it's worth.
I was sure it had a shield. Nevermind, I guess I was wrong. I think I'm still correct that there is no logical reason for Destiny having both.
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
Phoenix012

EDIT: I was under the impression that the Beam shields cannot block physical weapons, however after doing some quick research, it appears there's nothing that explicitly states how beam shields work. Lightwave Barriers and Positron Deflector's are able to deflect energy and physical attacks, but I can't find anything that refers specifically to beam shields.

So, the only thing I can think is that the beam shields seen on late GSD suits are not powerful enough to withstand a beam saber for more than a second or so, which would explain the additional protection on the more melee oriented suits, the I-Justice and Destiny. But that's just speculation on my part.
Last edited by Phoenix012 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShadowCell

I don't recall it ever being said that beam shields in CE can't block solid weapons.
Deathonator

ShadowCell wrote:I don't recall it ever being said that beam shields in CE can't block solid weapons.
Destiny's Beam Shield blocked Strike Freedom's Rail Guns when it came flying by and hit him with a Full Burst. It knocked back the Destiny and turned the shield off as a result...but blocked all the same. Plus I'm sure Infinite Justice used the Beam Shield to crash into Destiny a few times too.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

I'd go with pheonix on this one, the hand mounted beam shields are probably limited in effectiveness, the extra shield could simply be a more powerfull unit which is needed for melee units so they can survive the approch to their targets.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Deathonator

crashlegacy14 wrote:I'd go with pheonix on this one, the hand mounted beam shields are probably limited in effectiveness, the extra shield could simply be a more powerfull unit which is needed for melee units so they can survive the approch to their targets.
The problem with such a theory is that Destiny uses it's Beam Shield to rush through a few shots from one of the Destroys many guns...it's one of the bigger ones though. I know Infinite Justice uses it's Beam Shield to hold off Destiny's Anti-Ship sword. The limitation seems to be how much the Mobile Suit can hold against before its simply tossed back.
Geoxile

Kira uses the SF's beam shields to cross and catch the Anti ship sword of the Destiny IIRC so physical confirmed.

In any case the mountable shields seem to be for extra protection. Obviously Gundam won't be so articulate with continuity but I'm sure the original purpose was to protect the Gundam further.
Zerosystem

I'm pretty sure the concept of CE's beam shields is just taken directly from UC, so the concept, use and effectiveness of the beam shield is just about the same.
Geoxile wrote:Kira uses the SF's beam shields to cross and catch the Anti ship sword of the Destiny IIRC so physical confirmed.
Actually, going frame by frame in the scene, Kira catches the anti-ship blade with SF's hands. The beam shield never actually touches the anti-ship blade, the shields only touch each other after the blade's physical part is in SF's hands. All the shields are doing in that scene are touching each other to create a flashing blinding effect.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
stormturmoil

It's worth noting that there are known ways to pierce a Beam shield in the CE - Anti Beam coated weapons as seen in X Astray, and also one beam shield can seemingly pierce another if focused to a point, also seen in X Astray...

That being the case, the Solid shield, on top of the Phase Shift Armour, means that if somebody is toting such a weapon, or adopts some strategy that allows them to get round or through the beam shield, the unit isn't totally defenceless.
ShadowCell

X ASTRAY's Hyperions used the Armure Lumiere lightwave shield, which, to my knowledge, is not the same as a beam shield.
quasadra

but i thought beam shield is developed from Armure Lumiere? IIRC it was mentioned in Astray.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
blind_dead_mcjones

could just be so that it doesn't have to rely on beam shields all the time cos they hadn't worked out all the bugs in it yet, plus you can never have too many shields
Flag Fighter for life!
Duraham

the answer is rather simple actually. Although the Destiny's energy system is inexhaustable, it is possible to use too much energy than what is generated, especially when using weapons that have a high energy demand, such as the cannon and the beam shields. The soild shield is there to replace the beam shields when they cannot be deployed due to a lack of energy, such as immediately after firing a couple of shots from the cannon
krullnar

Now I could be wrong but I thought the reactors used by both the Destiny and the legend. Now the major difference in these reactors is that they needed to be recharged(it was on one of the last eps of destiny were the the Destiny had to return to Genesis to recharge or refuel?) This might also explain the reason for the solid shield.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Lans

I think Duraham’s answer is already sufficient. It’s just that a solid shield is a good idea as an insurance against energy shield failure due to lack of energy or damage in combat.
Duraham

Thanks.

from the MAHQ database on the Destiny:
The Destiny Gundam uses a hyper deuterion nuclear reactor to power its systems. This new design stores power in deuterion form, providing a continuous deuterion charge and, in theory, an endless power supply. However, it is possible for the suit's power to be expended before the reactor can replenish it.