Mobile Suits apparently have USB-like ports for weapons?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
azrael

I did misread it. You are correct. Her scope was out of commission, or at least, that's the implied impression before Eledore cut her off. But the subs feel a bit off.

Listening to the dialog, it sounds more like
Karen: But my monitor and scope are...
Eledore: THERE'S NO TIME!
thanatos

I found it a bit ironic that in the one series where the Gundams get dirty/banged up more than ever, they have this giant computor chip sticking out of their hand.
It must be retractable or else it would undoubtedly get damaged in hand-to-hand combat or whenever the MS grabs something other than a weapon.
strikefreedom86

If you look a little harder you notice that it is actually recessed into the hand so it would be a little harder to damage.
If somebody in the world would start making mobile suits I would be a test pilot for them.
scythedd7

crashlegacy14 wrote:As in indirect fire? we don't see it get used like that in the series though. if it was Karen who was the only one in the priamry crew to use it would have hung rather far from combat and let her allies give her fireing orders. instead is right up in there with the others

then there's the fact that it's basicly the same weapon as the "megalla gun" used by the zeon, and that has no sensor on it either. ofcourse it makes more sense with th megalla gun because it's a battle field transition of the gun from mounted on the tank/jet megalla to hand use with a zaku.
Because with an artillery piece like that is obviously for some sort long range work, and seeing that it fires a shell, it wouldn't fire in a straight line. Seeing that it is a 180mm cannon, its nothing thats supposed to be used as a short range gun like the little machine guns most of the others use at the same time. It has to be angled. Therefore putting a camera or sensor on top doesn't make sense. For a beam weapon, the change in angle of the shot would be significantly less, so having sensors/cameras on top works because it will likely be facing that which is trying to be shot, unlike a 180mm. Ballistic weapons aren't always used for indirect fire, but they still have to be angled to counter gravity, wind, ect.

And to why the 100mm doesnt have one is that it barely functions as a mid-range weapon! When ever its shown firing its is shown as having a ton of kickback and bounciness. A scope wouldn't work either. When was the last time you saw one on a MP or smaller submachine gun like that in human size? The Zaku has one on its 120mm because its more like an assault rifle of the mecha world and it almost always fired with two hands, so the kick of the gun isn't going to make the sensor on it flail all over the place. Its meant to do ranged work, and its shown in the animation firing one shot at a time for accuracy while not so with the Gundam [G]
...?
strikefreedom86

The 180mm cannon used by the RX-79[G] Ground Combat Gundam can mount a opitical sight turning it into a long-range rifle (seen in Blue Destiny manga). The 100mm MG is similar to the M-14 rifle its only accurate firing one shot at a time and in short bursts of 3 to 5 shots. Its all about fire control of the individual pilots, learning what each weapon does when fired.
If somebody in the world would start making mobile suits I would be a test pilot for them.
scythedd7

strikefreedom86 wrote:The 180mm cannon used by the RX-79[G] Ground Combat Gundam can mount a opitical sight turning it into a long-range rifle (seen in Blue Destiny manga). The 100mm MG is similar to the M-14 rifle its only accurate firing one shot at a time and in short bursts of 3 to 5 shots. Its all about fire control of the individual pilots, learning what each weapon does when fired.

Oh man, you're right! Its used by a GM. He only gets only two shots of with it and scores glancing hits, and the scope looks rather minimal. Didn't seem to help much lol *shrug*
...?
strikefreedom86

It's meant more as a way to increase the accuracy of the shots at range. So basically its more like a tactical sight than an actual scope.
Antares

Was it mentioned already that at least in CE Zafties and EA had different sorts of systems, at least originally... MAHQ profile mentions Orb, actually:
As with the Alliance suits, the Astrays are equipped with hand plugs to exchange energy and data with its carried weapons. The Alliance and Orb use different hand plugs, and only weapons designed for the Astray can be used without any modifications.
I seem to recall that this issue was overcome at some stage, but can anyone verify that?
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

wow you totaly missed my point there. I never said, scope, but rather sensor. the MS is only using sensors mounted on it's head for anysort of display, targeting solutions made by the computer are being largely guessed at based on data from the arm's postioning and preloaded infomration about the gun (or in the case of weapons with plugs data from the gun) accuracy wouldn't be nearly as good as that if ytou included a sensor/camera/laser of any sort on the weapon or arm because the additional sensor would beable to tell exactly where the weapon is pointed, not where calculations done by the computer says it's pointed.

and about the 100mm, it's got a side bar and folding stock, MS just generaly use it one handed. why? because unlike the zaku, it has a fore arm mounted shield, so the left arm's postion greatly affects the postioning of the shield.
So saying the gun is inaccurate based on the fact that the gun is often used one handed with it's stock folded its like me saying the MP-5 is inaccurate because I watched some guys fire it one handed.
Case in point, you never give close suport fire with a inaccurate weapon, but shiro did such with the 100mm early on in the series.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
scythedd7

crashlegacy14 wrote:wow you totaly missed my point there. I never said, scope, but rather sensor. the MS is only using sensors mounted on it's head for anysort of display, targeting solutions made by the computer are being largely guessed at based on data from the arm's postioning and preloaded infomration about the gun (or in the case of weapons with plugs data from the gun) accuracy wouldn't be nearly as good as that if ytou included a sensor/camera/laser of any sort on the weapon or arm because the additional sensor would beable to tell exactly where the weapon is pointed, not where calculations done by the computer says it's pointed.

and about the 100mm, it's got a side bar and folding stock, MS just generaly use it one handed. why? because unlike the zaku, it has a fore arm mounted shield, so the left arm's postion greatly affects the postioning of the shield.
So saying the gun is inaccurate based on the fact that the gun is often used one handed with it's stock folded its like me saying the MP-5 is inaccurate because I watched some guys fire it one handed.
Case in point, you never give close suport fire with a inaccurate weapon, but shiro did such with the 100mm early on in the series.
If you're referring to me (I can't tell, since you didnt quote anything) then I did not miss your point. I said scope once and was using it interchangeably with sensor and camera, as theres no way a Mobile Suit would actually use a normal scope at all. I don't doubt that there are some sort of sensors on the guns anyway, but it would probably be fairly minimal. Two reason I can think of is attempts to make any suit be able to use it or the gun not actually needing the port. Also don't forget that these are all essentially fast firing tank cannons. I don't care how strong a MS's arm is, firing anything like that one handed is going to cause a lot of instability, and also risk damaging probable expensive sensors.

And I still don't think that you need to know what a forward mounted sensor on that 180mm would do when its being used for its normal role. And I've already seen that it can mount a sensor, and it made sense for the mission it was used on, which was base defense. And even with the sensor, it didn't seem to help much.

Also, there ARE plenty of standard use guns used by the GMs that are far more common in the animations (and models for that matter), that bullpup and the rifle, I can't remember what they are, that both are shown with sensors of some sort on them. All the GMs in Blue Destiny where using that bullpup. The 100mm in 08th MS Team I've always thought as being some sort of cheap model that was just supposed to be functional, and not top of the line weaponry. There is obviously different guns to fit the mid-range bill here.
...?
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

calling these guns "fast firing tank cannons" is pretty far off, the 100mm machine gun is hand held (with aforementioned folding sotck and crossbar), and fires 100mm rounds. the round would be equivliant to a ~10mm round for us, I don't recall a tank ever firing 10mm shells
considering that both the Fed's bull-pup and the zeon's MMP-90 is only 90mm (which in human scale would make it a 9.14mm round) and atleast the the later case mounts a sensor backs up that the idea that for the MS these weapons are treated more like personal arms, it's also likely that these guns are all rifled.

Really the only reason I could think of for not putting any sort of sensor on the 100mm is because it's designed for use with the GMs which they more or less used the human wave approch on to make them effective early on. Gundams on the other hand (outside the ground type) was always issued beam rifles, which always had sensors.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
scythedd7

crashlegacy14 wrote:calling these guns "fast firing tank cannons" is pretty far off, the 100mm machine gun is hand held (with aforementioned folding sotck and crossbar), and fires 100mm rounds. the round would be equivliant to a ~10mm round for us, I don't recall a tank ever firing 10mm shells
considering that both the Fed's bull-pup and the zeon's MMP-90 is only 90mm (which in human scale would make it a 9.14mm round) and atleast the the later case mounts a sensor backs up that the idea that for the MS these weapons are treated more like personal arms, it's also likely that these guns are all rifled.
I don't think physics cares about what something is equivalent to when scaled down. A 100mm gun is still a 100mm gun. Last I checked MS are larger then tanks. And yes, I have seen tanks using 100mm guns. And I don't think I've ever seen a 10mm shoot through armor plating. Whats the human equivalent to the 180mm? Shooting mortars from the hip?

I just don't think we can say that a MS would realistically use advance sensors on a bottom line guns that are honestly big and powerful, and then spin around and say that the guns operate like we would expect a small arm to operate with a human. Scale can only go so far. Maybe that point hasn't been reached yet, but I think it has.
...?
mcred23

crashlegacy14 wrote:Really the only reason I could think of for not putting any sort of sensor on the 100mm is because it's designed for use with the GMs which they more or less used the human wave approch on to make them effective early on.
That's far from true. The 100mm's were issued out at a time long before the "GM-rush!" tactic was ever an option. The first units using them were those 50-odd RGM-79[G]'s, which was one of the better GM variants used during the war (Often considered close to a Gundam). They were also issued to the RX-79[G]'s at the same time.

I think scythedd7 was closer to the reasoning behind the lack of a scope on the NF·GMG-Type.37; It was ment to be cheap, but it was also one of the first weapons issued to those first Federal mobile suits. It's cheap and crude, and it shows, particularly compared to later weapons, such as the previously mentioned EFF 90mm machine gun, which saw pretty heavy useage in the last month of the war, and was the EFF's mainstay weapon after the war.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')