The Official Gundam 00 Mecha Thread Unit 09

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ShadowCell

The Official Gundam 00 Mecha Thread Unit 09

30 pages, new thread, etc etc etc. Please tag spoilers, don't post random crap with no backing or source, and refrain from being jerks, please.
Kenji wrote:Obviously, that everything's gonna pull a Jesus Yamato and come back, like duuuuhhhh...

:P

The worst part is that somebody would've eventually said it... and have been serious.
Last edited by ShadowCell on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanadu

I was thinking, why'd they switch from the Gundam 0's gn partical wing thing to the less-cool looking versions. I mean judging from the mass GN particals produced by the 00 it's clear it wouldn't slow it down much plus sunrise has never showen any sign of believing gaint wings=low preformence(It's actually usually the opposit) and aside from that there's never been any real evidence the 0 Gundam is any less capable then any of the othe Gundams(except for the fact that other then the flashback it never appeared in the series in combat)
plus it could by used to like distract/intemadate ur enemy.
"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it" - John Adams
aberrance

Xanadu wrote:I was thinking, why'd they switch from the Gundam 0's gn partical wing thing to the less-cool looking versions. I mean judging from the mass GN particals produced by the 00 it's clear it wouldn't slow it down much plus sunrise has never showen any sign of believing gaint wings=low preformence(It's actually usually the opposit) and aside from that there's never been any real evidence the 0 Gundam is any less capable then any of the othe Gundams(except for the fact that other then the flashback it never appeared in the series in combat)
Look beyond the technical fanboy aspects to the metaphoric plot tools. The 0 Gundam became Setsuna's God. Or he may have even seen it as an angelic messenger. That's open for interpretation, and I'd like to wait until the end of the season to discuss it, but the point is, the wings served their purpose for now. They're irrelevant until the next religious reference.
Red XIV

Of course the 0 Gundam is less capable than Exia, Dynames, Kyrios, and Virtue/Nadleeh. It's more lightly armed than a GN-X, and is from what I understand decades older than the Ptolmey crew's Gundams. Plus, if it were on par with the newer Gundams, why wouldn't it still be used?

Most likely the "wings" were just an artifact of the 0 Gundam making less efficient use of its GN particles, rather than being anything actually functional.
"I think most of us were lead astray via the Hazel family tree that hinted the TR-6 came from the Hazels...when in fact it's an amalgam of all TTT mecha...and a rabbit." - Deus EpS Machina
Laevatein

Xanadu wrote:I was thinking, why'd they switch from the Gundam 0's gn partical wing thing to the less-cool looking versions. I mean judging from the mass GN particals produced by the 00 it's clear it wouldn't slow it down much plus sunrise has never showen any sign of believing gaint wings=low preformence(It's actually usually the opposit) and aside from that there's never been any real evidence the 0 Gundam is any less capable then any of the othe Gundams(except for the fact that other then the flashback it never appeared in the series in combat)
The 0 Gundam is in fact outdated by 2312 standards: the Astraea, which is only a generation later, has significantly better performance than the 0 Gundam.

The Wings of Light are more a sign of inefficiency on part of the 0 Gundam's GN Drive controls, having to leak out more GN Particles than it needs. And as the generations progressed, the GN Particle exhaust became smaller and less visible (the Astraea has a larger exhaust than the Exia) .

Remember that while Gundam does have a tendency of making bigger = better in wings of light, 00 has shown a penchant for bucking such tendencies.
SNT1

Laevatein wrote:The Wings of Light are more a sign of inefficiency on part of the 0 Gundam's GN Drive controls, having to leak out more GN Particles than it needs. And as the generations progressed, the GN Particle exhaust became smaller and less visible (the Astraea has a larger exhaust than the Exia) .

Remember that while Gundam does have a tendency of making bigger = better in wings of light, 00 has shown a penchant for bucking such tendencies.
What does that say about the 00 Gundam, which so far in the previews, is just over-releasing GN particles? Or maybe the twin drives more than make up for any efficiency lost, or still not calibrated for optimal performance?
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
ShadowCell

Well, the 00 does have the normal GN particle output squared, so I guess it's not too surprising.
Gelmax

SNT1 wrote:
Laevatein wrote:The Wings of Light are more a sign of inefficiency on part of the 0 Gundam's GN Drive controls, having to leak out more GN Particles than it needs. And as the generations progressed, the GN Particle exhaust became smaller and less visible (the Astraea has a larger exhaust than the Exia) .

What does that say about the 00 Gundam, which so far in the previews, is just over-releasing GN particles? Or maybe the twin drives more than make up for any efficiency lost, or still not calibrated for optimal performance?
The trick is that those twin drives are actually putting the large majority of those particles to use, as opposed to the 0 Gundam, which is just wasting them. In any case, it's fairly unlikely that the 0 Gundam would actually emit that many particles in actual combat - that level of inefficiency goes beyond wasteful and into stupid, and no one in their right mind would seriously field a unit whose GN verniers were that "leaky", even with infinite power. It's a more likely bet that it was overemitting GN particles on purpose (similar to Throne Drei's Stealth Field) in order to black out sensors and communications in a wide area around it, since it was a top secret unit. Well, it's a moot point, since in an actual fight the Gundam 0 wouldn't be using that anyway.
Strike105

The 0 Gundam still looks to be fully operational, and it still has it's GN Drive. It's got to see more action in some way, shape, or form. It's not just going to sit there and rot in the hanger forever.
Sume Gai

Strike105 wrote:The 0 Gundam still looks to be fully operational, and it still has it's GN Drive. It's got to see more action in some way, shape, or form. It's not just going to sit there and rot in the hanger forever.
no it doesn't the 0 Gundam's drive is in the 00
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Strike105

No it isn't, remember, they said it was incompatible.
Areku

Chris wrote:Wang asks if she can see the 0 Gundam, which was the first mobile suit to use a solar reactor. Ian says that they removed its solar reactor and installed it on the 00 Gundam, but it didn't match.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't leave an incompatible solar furnace in the 00.
Derringer

Strike105 wrote:No it isn't, remember, they said it was incompatible.
Ian didn't say that.
Sume Gai

well it still doesn't have a Drive since CB is using all 5 in the new Gundams
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
SNT1

Strike105 wrote:The 0 Gundam still looks to be fully operational, and it still has it's GN Drive. It's got to see more action in some way, shape, or form. It's not just going to sit there and rot in the hanger forever.
I can only imagine the smackdown the Aheads are going to give the 0 Gundam should it get fielded.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Trisk

SNT1 wrote:
I can only imagine the smackdown the Aheads are going to give the 0 Gundam should it get fielded.
Ditto.

The Ahead had only minor trouble dispatching a damaged Exia - while the 0 isn't as badly damaged, it's also comparatively obsolete.

To try and put this to a real world example, it's like modifying an F-4 Phantom II with top-of-the-line engines, throwing it at a bunch of F-22 Raptors and expecting a result other than 'the F-4 gets shot down.'

Sure, it's got a special feature, but that doesn't change the fact that it just doesn't match up unit-v.-unit.
Neo_Senku

What is with this obsession with people wanting to see the 0 gundam get shot down when it exits the hanger, cause thats all thats gonna happen at this point. It doesn't have its drive anymore, that is in the 00 Gundam along with Exia's drive come tomorrow. The best shot that thing had at being used was when Fereshte had it and even then they used the 2nd gen gundams as they were clearly a better choice. It's been sitting around rotting in its hanger for the last 19 years and frankly thats where it is gonna stay.
Ya know what, We're All Gundam. ^_^

The Magnificent Bastard is an awesome trope.
Blade D

The only reason I can think of for CB to have kept it around for so long other than as a museum piece would be to send it out as a decoy (charging its Capacitors like the Fereshte Gundams rather than giving it its GN Drive back) if such a desperate situation were to arise. Otherwise, such an outdated machine would have no practical use in combat by this point in the story.
Gelmax

Why must it see more action? They don't have a pilot for it, they don't have a GN Drive for it (simple math, there's five GN Drives total and the four new Gundams use five GN Drives between them), and it's useless in combat due to being barely armed and totally unarmored. The only reason it still exists is because they've got the hangar space for it and there's no point to going out of their way to dispose of it. Sure, it's probably not going to sit around in the hangar untouched forever...but only because the next time CB gets their butts whooped they'll use it for spare parts.

Would one of you like to explain to me the rationale behind the "We've seen this mech onscreen, therefore we NEED to see it enter combat and beat the crap out of everything no matter how old, outdated, or useless it actually is" sentiments that have been popping up lately? First there was Code Geass where a bunch of people were utterly convinced that a nuclear-powered Ganymede was going to save the day out of nowhere in the last couple of episodes, and now that we've seen that the 0 Gundam still exists people are suddenly coming out of the woodwork and saying it needs to fight.
Dwin

Does anyone think that after having four years with the GN technology that the Federation will be able to figure out to make a better GN drive they need to make them on Jupiter?