Development of the Biosensor and Psycommu

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Underrated GM Custom

Development of the Biosensor and Psycommu

The other day I was looking more into the Psycommu to see specifically what it affected in a Mobile Suit. When I first got into Gundam I knew of the Psycommu as "the system that makes funnels/bits work." A friend of mine said that is also allows the pilot to control the MS with their mind but I think they were confusing it with the Psychoframe instead. So I did some digging to see what I could learn on the extent of the Psycommu when it comes to operating a MS. While looking into it I thought it was interesting to see how in-universe the miniature or compact Psycommu was developed around the same time as the Biosensor. First some definitions:

MSV-2 (1984): The Psycommu System
The psycommu system was a control system created primarily for Newtype pilots to operate mobile suits. However, it was not compact enough to be installed in a mobile suit of normal size, and it was introduced in mobile armors instead.

One distinguishing characteristic of this system was that it made remote control possible despite the effects of Minovsky particles. If weapons could be controlled remotely, there was no need for the machine itself to be humanoid, so it was inevitable that mobile armors equipped with psycommu systems were introduced into combat earlier than mobile suits.
Gundam Century (1981)
Psycommu weapons are systems that amplify the acute reactive waves of the people known as Newtypes and, via signals translated into computer language, control the weapons attached to the machine itself.

Among the systems researched by the Flanagan Agency was the psycommu system, which amplifies the acute reactive waves of Newtypes and translates them into computer language (2). These "reactive waves" were detected through the systematic anomalies they produced in radio communications under Minovsky particle conditions.
So far so good, the Psycommu allows a Newtype pilot to control weapons remotely. The next one I found particularly interesting since I've been wondering if there were any sources that mention a Psycommu equipped unit is easier to control, more responsive, or higher performing than an equivalent machine. This definition mentions that the machine can be controlled more smoothly, although I believe it is referring to using its weapons vice controlling the MA itself. I'm curious if there are other sources out there that talk more on how a Psycommu equipped MS can be controlled with thoughts.

Entertainment Bible 01 (1989): Psycommu
The psycommu is officially known as a psycho communicator. The development of this system began when the Flanagan Agency detected reactive waves from the brains of its test subjects in the course of Newtype research. In principle, it is an interface that translates these reactive waves (psycho-waves) into computer language. Because thoughts are transmitted directly to machines, its reaction speed is extremely high, and when it was experimentally installed in mobile armors it made it possible to operate these machines more smoothly than with conventional control systems. It was also possible to control many machines simultaneously, enabling the use of multiple wired mega particle cannons or wireless unmanned bit attack machines to perform all-range attacks.
Now onto the Biosensor. Psycommu systems were developed by Zeon during the OYW. During Zeta Gundam, Axis Zeon has managed to create a miniature or compact Psycommu that can fit into a Mobile Suit, specifically the Quebeley. Meanwhile, Anaheim Electronics has developed the Bio-Sensor that fits into MS. The Bio-sensor is one of the bigger retcons in Gundam to explain the supernatural abilities of the Zeta Gundam in the finale of its series. Here's an older source on it where it even mentions the bio-sensor is uncomfirmed, very interesting to see the outlook on it before more information came out solidifying this technology.

The Anime Special Collection: Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Part 3 (1986)
Axis's Qubeley and the Jupitris's The O, on the other hand, were mobile suits operated by people with strong wills and powers of awareness. The Qubeley was equipped with a psycommu system based on that of the Elmeth, while The O used a bio-sensor that could be called a simplified psycommu system. When these two met in battle, their psychic waves collided in a higher-dimensional combat that transcended physical means such as beam weapons. The Zeta Gundam also seems to have partially incorporated the bio-sensor, although this is unconfirmed, and past a certain level it seems to have been manifesting the power of its pilot Kamille Bidan.
I think it's interesting here that the biosensor is considered a simplified psycommu, which makes it sound like an inferior version although in this case I think it is referring to the fact that the Biosensor does not control remote weapons (well until the Red Zeta from Gundam Evolve.) While the biosensor is capable of some incredible feats including hyper-dimensional combat I'm more interested on what the tech designers intended vice the supernatural phenomenon that occurred.

MS Encyclopedia (1992) & Entertainment Bible 2
MSZ-006 Z GUNDAM
A bio-sensor was later added to the control system, dramatically increasing the machine's responsiveness.

PMX-003 THE O
Because its cockpit is equipped with a bio-sensor, a kind of psycommu system, its responsiveness is unusually high.
So it appears the Biosensor developed by, well, the technologys origins are a little murky since this technology appeared on suit built by AE and Scirocco, the novels also mention Franklin Bidan had some involvement. Anyways, the Biosensor design intent appears to be to allow the pilot to better control their Mobile Suit. Unfortunately it appears to only work with Newtypes, the Delta Plus manual mentions it incorporates a Biosensor but it has little effect improving performance on a non-Newtype pilot.

So using information from the Psycommu they are reading brain waves allowing one to operate a mobile suit with the speed of thought instead of being limited by the physical limits of semiconductors. A more primitive version of the Psychoframe where "the internal structure...is laced with microscopic psycommu receivers, allowing it to respond immediately to the thoughts of a Newtype pilot." [Gundam Official Guide 2002]

Since the compact Psycommu and Biosensor were both developed in the same time period I'm curious if the Psycommu developed on the Quebeley was fully superior to the Biosensor on the Zeta Gundam or The O. (Specifically, the MS enhancements, not the hyper-dimensional phenomenon) So for example, if the Biosensor made the Zeta and The O much more responsive, does the Psycommu do the same for the Quebeley or is it only for the operation of the funnels?
Seto Kaiba

Re: Development of the Biosensor and Psycommu

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 pm So it appears the Biosensor developed by, well, the technologys origins are a little murky since this technology appeared on suit built by AE and Scirocco, the novels also mention Franklin Bidan had some involvement. [...]
The manuals for the MG and HG PMX-003 The O and the MS Bible entry for same offer a bit of clarity in this regard.

Their stance is that AE and the Jupitris independently developed Biosensor technology while working on developing smaller, more economical, versions of the bulky and inefficient psycommu system. The development process they used is said to be completely different, though they arrived at almost exactly the same solution. It also notes the Jupitris version of the Biosensor is similar, but distinct and different from, the Biosensor used in the Zeta Gundam and other Anaheim Electronics designs.

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 pm Anyways, the Biosensor design intent appears to be to allow the pilot to better control their Mobile Suit. Unfortunately it appears to only work with Newtypes, the Delta Plus manual mentions it incorporates a Biosensor but it has little effect improving performance on a non-Newtype pilot.
In connection with the above, it's noted that both AE and the Jupitris developed the Biosensor as a secondary or sub-control system meant to improve the responsiveness of the physical controls. It's noted specifically that on Jupitris's The O it was specifically responsible for managing the suit's large number of RCS thrusters and engines. On AE's MS designs, it seems to exist primarily to "read ahead" of the pilot's manipulation of the physical control interface in order to make the MS respond more quickly to physical inputs.

That said, it's also noted that the Biosensor is only usable by powerful Newtypes. It won't activate for pilots with weak or no Newtype ability, partly because of a safety system put in place to prevent damage to someone who is too weak to operate it.

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 pm So using information from the Psycommu they are reading brain waves allowing one to operate a mobile suit with the speed of thought instead of being limited by the physical limits of semiconductors.
It's not controlling the Mobile Suit at the speed of thought, and it's still absolutely limited by the processing speed of the semiconductors in the MS's computer. It's not even really controlling the Mobile Suit directly at all, truth be told. It's a subsystem/support system.

The Biosensor improves a MS's responsiveness by enabling the MS's onboard computer to predict the next action of a sufficiently-strong Newtype pilot and take appropriate preparatory action(s).

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 pm Since the compact Psycommu and Biosensor were both developed in the same time period I'm curious if the Psycommu developed on the Quebeley was fully superior to the Biosensor on the Zeta Gundam or The O. (Specifically, the MS enhancements, not the hyper-dimensional phenomenon) So for example, if the Biosensor made the Zeta and The O much more responsive, does the Psycommu do the same for the Quebeley or is it only for the operation of the funnels?
It seems to be a case where they were good at different things.

Both were able to function as a sub-control system that improved reaction times by allowing the MS to read the pilot's intentions and predict their next actions. The miniature Psycommu offers the ability to control remotely operated weapons and theoretically control the MS by thought alone (though it was not put into direct practice until later). The Biosensor is cheaper to produce and lacks the ability to control remote weapons, but seems to enhance the abilities of powerful Newtypes to a much greater extent... which was demonstrated heavily on the Double Zeta.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Underrated GM Custom

It sounds as though the Biosensor was a budget version of the Psycommu which removed the remote weapon functionality but kept the improvements to reaction times and of course the added bonus of supernatural Newtype effects.

As for normal pilots my reading of the Delta Plus MG manual was not that the Biosensor was less effective instead of ineffective on ordinary pilots. The description also mentioned that the Federation lagged behind Neo Zeon with the Biosensor which I found curious since AE developed theirs first so you would think they'd have the edge. Then again, Zeon always had a lead on Newtype technology. The only Biosensor equipped unit I remember from Neo Zeon was the Zaku III Custom which certainly had an explosive display of power.

Was the Rafflesia from F91 the first instance of controlling an MS with thought alone or did something precede it?
Seto Kaiba

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 pm Was the Rafflesia from F91 the first instance of controlling an MS with thought alone or did something precede it?
It's said that the Quebeley's psycommu was theoretically able to operate the Mobile Suit entirely by thought rather than using the physical controls, though it was never attempted in practice.

How canon is EVOLVE? EVOLVE's 9th episode features the QRX-006 Geminus and MSZ-006-P2/3C Red Zeta both had a new type of psycommu (the Red Zeta's being called a Psyco Neutralizer) that allowed direct control over the Mobile Suit/Armor using the pilot's thoughts alone.

Then there was the Intention Automatic System that was part of the RX-0 series, which activated as part of the NT-D and allowed the pilot to control the Unicorn series by thought alone.

Then there was the Neo Psycommu in F91 which used a fiberoptic connection to the pilot and a biocomputer to allow control by thought.
The Macross Mecha Manual
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:22 pm
How canon is EVOLVE? EVOLVE's 9th episode features the QRX-006 Geminus and MSZ-006-P2/3C Red Zeta both had a new type of psycommu (the Red Zeta's being called a Psyco Neutralizer) that allowed direct control over the Mobile Suit/Armor using the pilot's thoughts alone.
Wasn't Evolve 9 considered an alt history where the Geminus is from a different faction?
Mafty

The early part of Evolve seems to be mini side stories that can actually fit in the main cannon, the later ones not so much. We get an alternate version of CCA, a post ZZ mini battle, and the Strike Gundam making impossible maneuvers amongst other things. Evolve 9 focuses on Amuro, side story character Shin Matsunaga, and new character Yuji as they have a battle with three color coordinated Zeta variants. As for the Geminus it was supposedly made by the Titans for the Chakra Laboratory, who then went rogue and launched it themselves.
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:48 am Wasn't Evolve 9 considered an alt history where the Geminus is from a different faction?
... I asked you first? :lol:

Seriously though, I have no sodding idea. I know Amuro's Grey Zeta is canon enough to show up in Master File at least.
The Macross Mecha Manual
HalfDemonInuyasha

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:22 pm
Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 pm Was the Rafflesia from F91 the first instance of controlling an MS with thought alone or did something precede it?
It's said that the Quebeley's psycommu was theoretically able to operate the Mobile Suit entirely by thought rather than using the physical controls, though it was never attempted in practice.
Would Pie Two's Qubeley Mk-II count with being able to be controlled via a psycommu controller headset?
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Mafty

What about the Psycho Gundam? I seem to remember Four could make it move on its own...
Underrated GM Custom

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:22 pm How canon is EVOLVE? EVOLVE's 9th episode features the QRX-006 Geminus and MSZ-006-P2/3C Red Zeta both had a new type of psycommu (the Red Zeta's being called a Psyco Neutralizer) that allowed direct control over the Mobile Suit/Armor using the pilot's thoughts alone.
Hard to tell on this one. Amuro's White Unicorn Zeta exists in Green Divers which is animated but doesn't necessarily mean that Evolve 09 happened. As for the Red & Gold Zeta, if we ever see Shin Matsunaga alive after 0087 I suppose we'll know whether or not the events happened. Unless they go the Neil Dylandy route :lol:
Then there was the Intention Automatic System that was part of the RX-0 series, which activated as part of the NT-D and allowed the pilot to control the Unicorn series by thought alone.
Hmm, I had always thought that operated similar to your Biosensor explanation above where the system is handling most subsystems. They still have to use hand controls in the animation during NT-D mode don't they?
Then there was the Neo Psycommu in F91 which used a fiberoptic connection to the pilot and a biocomputer to allow control by thought.
Right, the Rafflesia I mentioned.
Mafty wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:53 pm The early part of Evolve seems to be mini side stories that can actually fit in the main cannon, the later ones not so much. We get an alternate version of CCA, a post ZZ mini battle, and the Strike Gundam making impossible maneuvers amongst other things. Evolve 9 focuses on Amuro, side story character Shin Matsunaga, and new character Yuji as they have a battle with three color coordinated Zeta variants. As for the Geminus it was supposedly made by the Titans for the Chakra Laboratory, who then went rogue and launched it themselves.
Did the Chakra laboratory exist before Evolve 9 or was it created just for Evolve?
Mafty

Evolve seems to be the only place the Chakra Laboratory is mentioned, it doesn't have any other info on Gundam Wiki. It apparently was an AEUG/Karaba lab before going rogue, though it was never mentioned in the anime.
MythSearcher

Evolve../9 is supposed to be the sequel to Green Divers(inspired by the space launched scene of Amuro's Zeta), Evolve Material seems to hint that the creator wanted it to be as free as possible while still maintain some sense or relation to the canon and at best it is a side story.

Reading Evolve Material does give you a sense that ep. 1~5 are canon, but from 6 onwards, with the title change to Evolve../, it seems like they throw that out the window and just did what they like. Quess surviving the battle is one of those moments you know it is not adhering to canon.
Underrated GM Custom

Weird that the Chakra lab was on the AEUG/Karaba side, when I watched it I had always assumed it was some strange Titans lab. The funky pyramid design did get some new life during G-Reco with the Yggdrasil.

Didn't know that Evolve 9 was meant to be a sequel to Green Divers, I had always thought Green Divers was newer but it came out 2001. I agree with your interpretation that early Evolve was likely trying to fit in cannon while later entries were given more flexibility for what if stories. I remember there being a relatively recent Shin Matsunaga manga but I don't know how far forward in the timeline it went, from the promotional material I only remember seeing the white Gelgoog Jaeger. Wonder if shows him surviving past 0087.
Mafty

I had to rewatch the episode to figure that out too (the story is a bit unclear, and puts a lot of detail into a shorter runtime). Also I hadn't thought about it before, but the Yggdrasil does look like the Genmeth, and Gundam often does use similar designs across different series (The Gottarlatan resembles the Gerbera Tetra for example).

As for the Bio Sensor , what about the Phenex? By the end of the movie (SPOILERS) its actually being piloted by the consciousness of several people without a physical pilot.
MythSearcher

Evolve 9 is pretty thorough at being unclear intentionally.
You can see them not naming anyone, and only giving them code names.

Haven't read the MSV-R Matsunaga manga, but from the synopsis of book 9(last book), his story seems to end in OYW, where he was sent to Axis with Minerva by Degwin, but ended with him leaving to fight off EFSF fleet that was chasing them. The story then goes to 0096, where Aurelia was listening to the speech of Minerva and decided to go search for Shin Matsunaga.
So he is still MIA since the end of OYW in that story.
Seto Kaiba

Wow, I opened a bizarre can of worms by asking about the canonicity of EVOLVE 9. <_<

Sorry 'bout that, folks.

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:47 pm Hmm, I had always thought that operated similar to your Biosensor explanation above where the system is handling most subsystems. They still have to use hand controls in the animation during NT-D mode don't they?
The hand controls appear to fold out of the way when the NT-D activates.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Underrated GM Custom

That's interesting, I remember seeing a few scenes where Banagher is still using hand controls even when the Unicorn is transformed. Just did a quick check and when Unicorn is fighting the Neo Zeong the hand controls are still there. Perhaps the "Green" Unicorn doesn't use the thought based controls since it doesn't fully go into NT-D mode?
Mafty wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:58 pm I had to rewatch the episode to figure that out too (the story is a bit unclear, and puts a lot of detail into a shorter runtime). Also I hadn't thought about it before, but the Yggdrasil does look like the Genmeth, and Gundam often does use similar designs across different series (The Gottarlatan resembles the Gerbera Tetra for example).
I had always thought of the Genmeth as a Victory-esque design but I do see the Tetra now that I look at it again.

MythSearcher wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm Haven't read the MSV-R Matsunaga manga, but from the synopsis of book 9(last book), his story seems to end in OYW, where he was sent to Axis with Minerva by Degwin, but ended with him leaving to fight off EFSF fleet that was chasing them. The story then goes to 0096, where Aurelia was listening to the speech of Minerva and decided to go search for Shin Matsunaga.
So he is still MIA since the end of OYW in that story.
Ah so it leaves the door open to him being alive then.