Box Type Beam Saber

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Underrated GM Custom

Box Type Beam Saber

The discussion on beam saber colors reminded me of a question I had floating around my thoughts a few months ago. It seems as though box type beam sabers are fairly rare when it comes to Mobile Suit design and only a handful of units have them. The GM Sniper Custom is the first unit to feature one, but curiously it's sibling unit, the GM Intercept Custom does not have one (the GM Guard Custom has a similar arm mounted beam dagger). So I've been curious if these types of beam sabers are only adapted by Mobile Suits with a certain role to fulfill.

Off the top of my head here are a few units with box type beam sabers or at the very least an arm mounted beam saber instead of a handheld one, all four are what I would consider a mid-range support/bombardment (砲撃戦用 or 砲撃戦型) type or a sniper type. I'm sure there are others out there but these are the ones that stand out in memory.
-GM Sniper Custom
-Full Armor Gundam (Type B)
-Nemo III
-Conroy's Jegan (ECOAS Type)
Note: this is specifically units where the beam saber is mounted on the arm, which is different than a beam saber stored in the arm such as the Messala.

Does anyone have any information as to why the Box Type Beam Sabers didn't catch on with more units?

My personal observation is that having the beam saber arm mounted provides the benefit of being able to use it faster (not having to draw one from the backpack, side-skirt or other repository) but the tradeoff is that it limits your range of motion when slashing which can be an extreme drawback for any mobile suits geared towards close combat.
Last edited by Underrated GM Custom on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mafty

Re: Box Type Beam Saber

I'm not sure really; it seems like a better idea to attach more weaponry to the unit itself, rather than have it as an add on. It's worth noting that the CE Verse does utilize the concept a bit more with units like the Aegis Gundam and the Turn Delta. The Unicorn Gundam also features this amongst many, many other weapons. So it seems like it was mostly customized, heavily armed units that feature this for some reason.
MythSearcher

I don't quite understand what does Box type means?
But the GM Sniper Custom's beam sabre is still hand carry in use and only mount on the wrist, similar with Nemo III.(the manga showed it using the sabre in hand)
Similar for Qubeley. Its beam sabre is mounted on the wrist, can be used as beam guns while mounted, and will be shot out when needed to be used as sabre.(I have no idea why, it makes sense to just have it extend out like Assassin's Creed hidden blade)

I don't think beam sabres were ever that important. While you get beam sabre fights in aces, most of the time mass production units are done with just ranged weapons. So they don't really bother to design newer melee weapons and just give them the beam sabre. Where it stores the sabre is likely just where ever they can fit it and the motion module can figure out how to pull it out.
Kuruni

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:33 am I don't quite understand what does Box type means?
My impression is that it can be used in boxing.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:30 am
My impression is that it can be used in boxing.
Probably, the GM Sniper Custom beam sabre is listed as box type beam sabre(hand carry in use).
Mafty

Yes the official data list's it as a "Box Type" Beam Saber; I'm not sure why it's called that, it might have something to do with the storage system being a box unit on the wrist. I agree with MythSearcher in that Beam Saber's are a relatively overlooked part of the Mobile Suit Armaments(until it's time for the climatic duel of course). Honestly even when something saber/sword like becomes important it's usually an actual metal sword ("ie Ed the Rippers Sword Calamity); One example I can think of when a beam weapon was the main most powerful weapon was on Demar Griffe's Correl, which had a powerful Beam Knife.
Underrated GM Custom

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:33 am I don't quite understand what does Box type means?
But the GM Sniper Custom's beam sabre is still hand carry in use and only mount on the wrist, similar with Nemo III.(the manga showed it using the sabre in hand)
The original depictions of the GM Sniper Custom (GSC) had a large box like device on its arm that could emit a beam saber. I went looking and looks like the recent HG kit based on the Origin version has gotten rid of the box and has the beam saber just bolted on instead. The Robot Spirits still has the classic look which you can see here: https://p-bandai.com/sg/item/N2395858001001

Do you recall which Manga has the GSC using it handheld? In After Jaburo it has the beam saber being emitted from the box unit rather than being handheld? I checked the Shin Matsunaga manga and while the GSC doesn't display it, the GM Guard Custom does show a box type beam dagger.
PowerdGNFlag

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:12 pm
The original depictions of the GM Sniper Custom (GSC) had a large box like device on its arm that could emit a beam saber. I went looking and looks like the recent HG kit based on the Origin version has gotten rid of the box and has the beam saber just bolted on instead. The Robot Spirits still has the classic look which you can see here: https://p-bandai.com/sg/item/N2395858001001

Do you recall which Manga has the GSC using it handheld? In After Jaburo it has the beam saber being emitted from the box unit rather than being handheld? I checked the Shin Matsunaga manga and while the GSC doesn't display it, the GM Guard Custom does show a box type beam dagger.
The MG has the same "box-type" beam saber as well.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:12 pm
I was referring to Nemo III.(sorry the sentence was kinda ambiguous)
https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/MSA-004K_Nemo_III
The manga in gallery showed that.

Also, the 79SC hand carry in use was in both MAHQ entry and the fandom entry, I can't find that on the MG manual though.
Will check Gundam Officials and Encyclopedia 1.5 this weekend.
Underrated GM Custom

Ohhh I understand now. Which manga is that, I don't recognize the art style and there's no title given.

I know in GBO2 they have it depicted as arm mounted for the Nemo III, I thought it was in Gihren's Greed too but I'd have to start a new game to find out. I suppose it could be like the 79SC where it can be box mode or hand held.

The Full Armor (Type B) has it arm mounted in the Johnny Ridden manga. We also see a box type unit for the GM Dominance in the new Blue Destiny serial. Seems like it's mostly a OYW quirk.
E08

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:29 am I know in GBO2 they have it depicted as arm mounted for the Nemo III, I thought it was in Gihren's Greed too but I'd have to start a new game to find out.
Are you sure that it is arm-mounted in GBO2? The video i have seen have the beam saber stored on the rear skirt.
Underrated GM Custom

E08 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:38 pm Are you sure that it is arm-mounted in GBO2? The video i have seen have the beam saber stored on the rear skirt.
You're absolutely correct, I just booted up the game to verify, it's stored on the rear skirt and is handheld in the right arm. It's default attack is a thrust which is rare animation only used on a handful of units, including the 79SC and it's box type beam saber. I've played that unit so many times I feel silly for never noticing that. My mistake!
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:29 am Ohhh I understand now. Which manga is that, I don't recognize the art style and there's no title given.
Searched with the pilot name and got a hit from Wikipedia Japan, apparently that is from this: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4041201314
Underrated GM Custom

Oh that makes sense it comes from a 0096 sidestory since we saw the Nemo III there for a split second before it was annihilated.
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:11 pm Oh that makes sense it comes from a 0096 sidestory since we saw the Nemo III there for a split second before it was annihilated.
From that manga on fandom I can totally understand.

She in that short few pages is that kind of overly reckless type that rushes in, almost gets killed and only survived by luck, and then put up a forced smile and say "Because I'm good at melee".
Underrated GM Custom

Ah sounds a bit tropey doesn't it? That's too bad I would have loved to see the Nemo III in more capable hands, I've always liked the design since I saw it in Gihren's Greed.

Regarding Box-Type Beam Sabers or at least arm mounted ones with the examples we do have it seems like they are used on suits where they don't often have a free hand available, either because they have excessive armaments or its important they have two hands on their weapon.
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:33 pm Ah sounds a bit tropey doesn't it? That's too bad I would have loved to see the Nemo III in more capable hands, I've always liked the design since I saw it in Gihren's Greed.

Regarding Box-Type Beam Sabers or at least arm mounted ones with the examples we do have it seems like they are used on suits where they don't often have a free hand available, either because they have excessive armaments or its important they have two hands on their weapon.
Tropey but I can think of 2 tropes relating to this. Not bothering to check the common name of the tropes, but in gist:
1) She really is THAT lucky and got killed on her next battle(i.e. anime) and her introduction in the manga is just for that purpose.
2) That is another unit in the anime and she is that kind of skills+luck pilot that we often see in protagonists(i.e. unrealistically survivable)

Anyway, in the same period as the Nemo III, we also have a lot of beam sabre/gun multi-purpose weapons, would make more sense if those things double as beam gun for short melee range and the main weapon they are using also have a beam sabre mode.(like Zeta's long beam rifle/sabre. It will totally get into Super Robot territory if the Hyper Mega Launcher have a Hyper Mega sabre mode though, but kinda makes sense for Yazan's end if the Hyper Mega Launcher was used instead.)
Underrated GM Custom

That's a good point, with saber emitters from rifles or from megaparticle guns it takes away the need for an arm mounted beam saber. As far I know there's only one or maybe two units after the Zeta with a box type unit:

RGM-89De Jegan (ECOAS Type/Conroy Use)
RIX-003 Cannongan (balofo mentioned back in the Unicorn thread that the device on it's left arm might be a box type beam saber. I haven't read 0096 Last Sun so I can't confirm).

Since they're from Unicorn which tends to have a lot of call backs it may be more of a fun reference than design progression. Or it could be the pilot may just prefer it, perhaps Conroy used a 79SC back in the day.
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:12 pm That's a good point, with saber emitters from rifles or from megaparticle guns it takes away the need for an arm mounted beam saber. As far I know there's only one or maybe two units after the Zeta with a box type unit:

RGM-89De Jegan (ECOAS Type/Conroy Use)
RIX-003 Cannongan (balofo mentioned back in the Unicorn thread that the device on it's left arm might be a box type beam saber. I haven't read 0096 Last Sun so I can't confirm).

Since they're from Unicorn which tends to have a lot of call backs it may be more of a fun reference than design progression. Or it could be the pilot may just prefer it, perhaps Conroy used a 79SC back in the day.
I'd say if they make the sabres with gun capabilities, it will still be useful to mount the sabre on the arm.
Actually, I kept thinking of Qubeley, the wrist beam gun are doubled as beam sabres(or vice versa?).
It makes more sense to have these because now you don't have a beam sabre hilt you carry around without any purpose until you get into a melee fight. And most grunts don't get into melee, might as well let them shoot the thing to increase their survivability.
When making this point, I do remember the maintenance issue with beam sabres. At least in OYW, they are disposable items, and have a 50% chance of malfunctioning after use. I guess they make better beam sabres later, but whether making them into dual purpose beam guns will make them easier to malfunction or not, I have no idea.(It shouldn't, the function basically just comes from leaving a hole at the end of the I-Field so the Minovksy particle plasma will shoot out instead of being contained, which should actually be less straining on the hilt.) But in all sense, box type beam sabres might not be as simple to maintain as they have some sort of fixture to the MS, so they might not be favourable to the logistics department so they will fight to their last breathe to avoid having those fielded.(not that they are being treated nicely to begin with, search for the barrel sizes discussion me and Seto had before)

For RIX-003
https://gundam.wiki.cre.jp/wiki/%E3%82% ... ite_note-1
According to here, it is a beam Jack.
It got a material knife, but will have a beam blade generated when stabbing a target like a nail gun. on the foot note, it might be a reference to Guncannon's "Heat Jack" from the drafts.
Tallies with this: https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/RIX-003_ ... n-back.jpg
but the picture shows that the it is not a box type and the knife is hand carry in use. And strangely, the beam extends from the back of the knife, not the front.
Underrated GM Custom

That's......an interesting design choice. So instead of a beam saber mount on the arm its instead to hold a knife, and the knife itself can emit a beam but from the back of the knife. Huh..

Regarding the beam guns doubling as beam sabers the Quebeley also springs to mind for me as well with its versatility. That said I would think beam guns doubling as beam sabers would be primarily effective as a parrying tool, since if the saber is no longer held by the manipulator that limits the range of motion you can adjust your swing. Seems like those types of weapons fill the same role as the box type unit, perhaps it was an issue of miniaturization instead of logistics, where the box types were large cumbersome pieces to add to the limb (which should have some effect on AMBAC) but by the time we hit 0087 they've been able to miniaturize technology to the point where beam guns and beam cannons can function as beam sabers.