Your favorite "frankenstein" machines?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

Your favorite "frankenstein" machines?

I always like when some kind of "improvised" machinery shows up in any show, something that is pressed into a role that it was definitely not meant for. Examples included the AT-TE that the three runaway Clone Troopers lived in, or the cars in Twisted Metals. And even if they are explicitly designed to be a weapon like the Gundam's Oggo or the Gorkanaut in Warhammer, I'm still down with the dirty, repurposed look.

What about you? Do you like these "frankenstein" machines? What are some of your favorite?
Dark Duel

Re: Your favorite "frankenstein" machines?

I admit, I got a chuckle out of the short-lived "Zeta Zaku" in ZZ.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kuruni

My award currently goes to Cabriolet Dog. Basically, they remove Scopedog's head and torso armor, install a second seat and roll bar with machine gun.

Actually, I think I just like the concept of "put an auxiliary machine gun and has another guy man it". Manhunter Jegan from Gundam Hatahway has similar charm.
My girlfriend was a loli.
SonicSP

The HRL experimental Gundam Kyrios from G-R00MS. Basically the heavily damaged Kyrios with a right arm made of Tieren and GN-X parts powered by a GN Drive Tau.

Due to the huge output of GN Drives in 00, normal conventional MS frames have a hard time with the sheer amount of force generated by them, this they are very unsuitable. The development of GNMS then required improvements in frame material technology in order to withstand then for long periods. As the HRL wanted to develope their own in-house GNMS they started experimenting existing GN technology aquired from foreign sources with their own in-house frame and data from Kyrios experiments helped them a lot with the Tieren successor, the Ahead and the first full GNMS not designed by a Celestial Being faction.
Seto Kaiba

Not many of those in my favorite titles, but Macross 7 offers a fun non-military example in the form of a bunch of old First Space War-era Destroids that'd been decommissioned and sold off to civilian buyers who converted them into construction equipment.

Such oddities as a Tomahawk retrofitted with giant load lifter claws, a Phalanx retrofitted with a giant cement mixer drum and massive mecha-scale trowel, a Defender with a massive vertical drill rig, a Spartan with drills for hands, or a number of privately-owned "riced out" VF-1 Valkyries in all manner of gaudy showroom schemes.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

Probably the assault shroud Duel Gundam. They managed to use a battlefield upgrade (impressive given that it occurred on a remote ship, in an active warzone, with a unit they barely understood) to turn the plainest unit , into a powerful, armored suit that could hold its own against later, more powerful Gundams,

Also there's the Re<AMATU> Gundam Astray Gold Frame Amatsu suit from ASTRAY that combines the arm from the Blitz Gundam with the Gold Frame Astray, plus some additional armor. Its like combining the best parts of both units together.

In terms of ships there the Reinforce Jr from Victory. The Reinforce on its own was kinda simples and outdated, and then they managed to combine it with a Squid class battleship. This made it look like a variant of the Nahel Argama, and drastically improved it's weaponry and mobile suit storage.

The biggest example of Frankenstein ships I can think of is SDF-1 From Macross. Okay this technically started off as a Supervision Army Gunship, but still. Earth forces managed to basically transform into first an exploration flagship, then a makeshift colony ship, then a giant robot that had two UN Spacy Battle ships stuck to its hands as cannons.
Kuruni

Well, here're some real Franken-motif mech.

Gundam Franken. From what I can gathered, this sound like a fun filler MF of the Week if it actually appears in G. It's built by a mad scientist from Neo Switzerland who want to join 13th Gundam Fight on his own (even in the FC era, Switzerland just remains "neutral" from global politic). Too bad the thing got infected with DG cells and run away.

Gundam Bolt Clash. Not only it can increase its strength using those electric bolts, it actually use all data taken from all Gundams captured by Neo Russia.

Endark. If you can't tell, the things technology from all planets destroyed by Edax, and Ispell done that by crudely slap more parts on the original mech (you can still see small original arms near its armpits, and original legs above the knees) instead of adapt and refine those tech.
Mafty

Would the Dra-C count? It’s parts of the Zaku II combined with leg thrusters and pods, which make it look like a Blue Mass Produced α-Azieru. It really fits with Zeon as a space army being practically a mass produced mobile armor.

Also (SPOILER) the Perfect Gundam from Thunderbolt. Seriously it’s a Psycho Zaku core covered in Gundam armor. Adding to the Frankenstein effect; it later attaches itself to a Braw-Bro, thus combing 3 ridiculously powerful Newtype units in one. It’s able to basically vaporize parts of Luna 2 and fight off a Federation Fleet singlehandedly.
Kuruni

The one that's often ignored despite being genuinely fun piece is Godwin. Basically, they get a still-fuctional MS but without any extra parts. So they swith the arms to Borjanon's and replace the railgun with simple anti-aircraft cannon. And apparently the thing is still has poor balance so they add claws-like things on its feet.

Militia has pretty fun time with improvise MS, really. Image here show a Jet Stream with cannons added to it, and here is a Kapool turned into makeshift elevator.
MythSearcher

Gundam + B parts?
various Zaku Tanks?

None are my favourite.
Mine is probably Arcadia of Captain Harlock. That stern is just so out of place and laughable on a spaceship but also hits so right at the spot with that big cross skull in front. It just contains so many impractical things on it that I hate, but this one ended up crossing the line twice. The homage Mia Akitaka designed for Nadesico Movie[discarded and only appeared in the Kia Asamiya manga] with double skulls(one in front and one in that back) still doesn't come close to this though the overall design should have been cooler.