Gravitational Sensors

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
doghunter1

Gravitational Sensors

Hi everyone. I'm back and I have this question: what exactly do gravitational sensors do? I caught that term from our profile on the XD-03 Dragonar-3 from Metal Armor Dragonar:

Unit type: prototype reconnaissance metal armor
Head height: 18.2 meters
Weight: empty 44.5 metric tons; max gross 82.3 metric tons (majority of weight is propellant)
Output: 192,000 pounds (dry); 360,000 pounds (CMP); 4 x main nozzle, 12 x attitude control nozzle
Mass ratio: 1.166 (dry); 2.186 (CMP)
Powerplant: 2 x FPW-2F miniaturized fusion reactor
Combat maximum power operation time: 12 seconds (max)
CMP cool-down period: 2 seconds (CMP for 5 seconds or less); 9 seconds (CMP for 37 seconds)
Armor: multiple hybrid type ceralite coating; maximum thickness 112mm
Equipment and design features: Cray Type 9000 computer with AI navigator "Maggie"; Type TAS3SR image sensors, range unknown; Type WG11S gravitational sensors, range unknown
Optional hand armaments: type LPS3 50mm hand railcannon (2400 rounds per second, 320 rounds, uses standard ammunition); 2 x close combat assault knife; 3-barrel hand railcannon
Are they related to the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravimetry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_field

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravimeter
SonicSP

Re: Gravitational Sensors

Maybe its a miniaturized version of something like LIGO?
Arsarcana

Yeah, they probably work along the LIGO concept or similar, passively detecting gravitational waves as an alternative to other kinds of sensors that use active emissions to detect objects. Pretty common sci-fi concept from long before the first actual detection of gravitational waves.
doghunter1

Expanding on my question, would there be military applications for gravitational sensors? I can imagine they're needed for long-range reconnaissance which is what Dragonar-3 is for, especially when detecting incoming missiles.
SonicSP

I don't see how a gravitational sensor would be useful for milssiles since they tend to be very low mass. Then again I'm unfamiliar with Dragonar in general so maybe something specific to that world.

Unless they are needed to detect something that generates gravitational waves. The Ahab Reactors from Gundam IBO for example generate gravity waves as part of its normal course of function.
MythSearcher

doghunter1 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:08 am Expanding on my question, would there be military applications for gravitational sensors? I can imagine they're needed for long-range reconnaissance which is what Dragonar-3 is for, especially when detecting incoming missiles.
Other than very advanced technological warfare where something like warp drives, black holes are used, I don't see them being useful at all.
Gravity is a VERY weak force compared to EM forces are you can usually see what is incoming before you can sense its gravitational pull.