Episode 29 - Followers of Campe [Axis]

The last RPG was "Zeta Gundam: Tales from the Frontlines - The AEUG" which ran from 2006-14.
Fritz Ashlyn

Episode 29 - Followers of Campe [Axis]

{Axis folks, continue here}

~February 21, Universal Century 0088~
~ 02:18 Coordinated Universal Time~

- Gryps 2 Space -

- The Bindra -
- Bridge -

Pizal Wald couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"So, that's it? You just decided it wasn't worth the trouble?" he asked incredulously. On the overhead monitor, M'Quve took a moment to sip at his drink before answering, "That's not at all what I said, captain. And I don't like your tone,". He handed the drink container to his aide and continued, "Finalan made a tactical error and Bacon made it worse. I had the foresight to avoid allowing things to spiral out of control only to let us to pay for their mistakes. Exposing ourselves any further in a futile attempt to support them would have accomplished nothing,". He made a small sweeping gesture with his hand to indicate the matter was settled and immediately moved on to inquire, "Do you require any Gaza parts or manpower?".

Wald swallowed and silently counted to ten before speaking again to avoid getting himself in trouble. He had heard more about M'Quve since their assignment to the Trammel unit, and not much of it was particularly flattering. As a "veteran" Zeon officer he knew beforehand about the attempt to launch a nuclear missile at Odessa, and that he had been one of Kycilia's favorite pets, but he hadn't ever directly interacted with him. He was starting to wish his ship could return to acting independently.

"No, sir. We're capable of handling that with our current crew and equipment," he answered in a professional tone. M'Quve relaxed back in his command chair a bit and uncrossed his legs, looking like he was somehow bored with the conversation and ongoing events. "Tripper tells me we have until 10:00 to finish major repairs, and then we're expected to move back into a direct combat position. I told him it would be done," M'Quve said. "Sir," Wald responded with a salute.

- Ready Room -

Lt. Ball vigorously rubbed his face and hair with a small towel as he floated back into the large ready room having just taken a shower. He was back in his normal duty uniform, but he was about to get everything dirty again in the hangar helping the mechanics work on the team's Gaza-C's. The strange downtimes in the middle of massive, pitched battles were awkward but necessary, a lesson he had learned during the independence war. He managed to ignore the urge to put his normal suit back on and find a way to launch again immediately - there would be more time to fight once they were back in decent shape. For the next few hours he'd be busy making sure his mobile suit was functional, and then he'd have to force himself to take a brief nap.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
The Loser Villain

Re: Episode 28C - Followers of Campe [Axis]

- The Bindra -
- Hangar -

"Watch out kid!" A yell across the headset Nikolai was wearing jarred him awake. As his eyes adjusted to the light he found that he was floating in the middle of the hangar, getting in the way of just about every mechanic.

"Uh, a little help," it all made sense to him now. As he had been working on his Gaza-C fatigue set in and he must have just fallen asleep and drifted away. Unfortunately there was no place to grab a hand hold and rebound back to the pink mobile suit.

"Just a sec, we'll get a platform to you." Moments later the small utility craft they used to service the MS was beneath him and he was soon out of harms way.

"Sir, Chief wants you out of the hangar," a mechanic relayed to him, "Says you'll only muck things up if you keep floating in the way, sir."

"Yeah, okay," Nikolai said with a sigh as he made his way to the ready room.
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
Ziryab

- Bridge -
A brief moment of silence after the visage of M'Quve blipped out. The loudness of Raquel clicking her tongue in disappointment surprised even her.

She neverously voiced when others turned to her. "A piece of work," referring to M'Quve, even if his idea was logically correct. If he didn't meet the personality expectations others had for him, then he'd surpass them.

- Corridors -
"Pup!" Pris barked at Nikolai, letting go of the automatic moving handgrips along wall. She let herself drift along the corridor waiting for the younger pilot to catch up.

Rather than wait for another handgrip as they headed towards the ready room, Pris latched an arm around Nikolai's free arm. "What's with that whiny face? You're still alive for another fight, you should at least be grateful about that," almost scolding him.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Cardi Doorl

- Endra-class Bindra -
- Ready Room -

Renard Baromski leans against the bulkhead at the far back of the room in his own duty uniform. His arms are crossed and he appears to be staring, eyes half-closed, at nothing.

When Lt. Max Ball enters, however, Renard pushes himself toward the team leader. He draws closer and, his voice cold and flat but not monotonous, says "Remove me from Bindra Team, Max."

- Mobile Suit Deck -

Merzo Gorustal lets out a long whistle as he takes in the dismal state of one particular Gaza C. An arm has been sliced off, with the now-solid slag across the side of the torso suggesting a beam saber was responsible. a large porton of the front torso armor is also missing, apparently torn away rather than burned off by beams.

Seeing Shellia Northran, however, pushes that out of his mind for the time being. "Chief!" he calls out as he pushes off the deck toward her, "Where do you need a hand?"
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Inferno

The Bindra

Brutus Peoron stormed through the halls of the ship. "Where are they?" He wondered aloud. Since he was brought back to the Bindra, he couldn't find his teammates. Absolutely positive that his earlier temper tantrum had nothing to do with it, he Axis veteran stormed through the halls, giving the stink eye to any tech who dared look at him.
wonton bob

- Endra-class Bindra -
- Mobile Suit Deck -

Matthew's Gaza had been strapped in place with its "guts" hanging out from underneath. The labor put into this repair so far was at over an hour.

"Chief! Where do you need a hand?"

Shellia raised her head from a bundle of wires she was soldering. "Huh?" was her response as she gazed at the vast amount of work yet to be done. Along with the Bindra's complement of Gazas they had managed to pick up a few more orphans that also needed repair.

Wiping sweat from her forehead, she thinks about their situation. Hardly enough spare parts...

"Merzo, Start on the Bindra's squadron first. Gazas with major damage gets front of the line service. Pilots can assist but once we're done we move on to the next suit, they can finish up the minor stuff."

- Mobile Suit Deck -

After receiving the green light to land, Lt. Emmers managed to maneuver his Gaza and safely land on the Bindra. Ashamed, he exited his suit and took a seat in a far corner out of everyone's way.
Lifting up his visor, Emmers leans back and takes a deep breath. Only two hours ago he had three pilots under his wing and a transport ship to return to, and now he was a refugee.
Not looking forward to going out again, he told the mechanics who approached his Gaza when he landed to use any parts they needed to repair other suits.

Emmers took another breath and remained seated in the corner.
"War is some crazy sh**" - alexander the great
Fritz Ashlyn

- The Bindra -
- Ready Room -

Max lowered the towel from his face to find Renard lurking within the dim ready room. "Remove me from Bindra Team, Max," he said, almost more of a flat command than a request as he moved closer. "Huh... what?" he responded, processing what Baromsky had said as he extended a hand to stop himself next to the row of lockers. He wiped his hands again on a less damp part of the towel as Pris and Nikolai entered, and asked, "Why, Renard? Do you have something in mind? These kids need you out there with them."

- Bridge -

Raquel clicked her tongue, causing Gina and a couple of the other operators to look in her direction after an awkward silence had fallen over the bridge following the captain's conversation with M'Quve. "A piece of work," she shrugged. "A piece of something," Vada grunted, just barely audible to Wald and Raquel who were closest to him. The corners of Pizal's mouth turned down and he sternly said, "That's enough of that,". He realized how crummy he felt still trapped in his normal suit and turned to Gina to say, "Notify your relief and accompany me to the hangar to take notes. I'm going to make sure we don't fall behind,". She nodded and eagerly hopped from her seat to follow the captain.

- Hangar -

A few minutes later Wald - now back in his uniform and feeling a lot less claustrophobic - glided into the noisy hangar with a perky, clipboard-carrying Gina in tow. The pink rose given to him by Haman was now prominently displayed close to the collar of his jacket, which had Gina even more animated than usual. He paused at the railing near the main entrance to watch for a moment as the hurried commotion went on below before vaulting it to float down to the main level to find Shellia or one of the senior pilots.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Cardi Doorl

- Endra-class Bindra -
- Ready Room -

Renard slows himself down by momentarily catching a locker door with his hand, but doesn't stop himself completely; he is still drifting slowly toward Max.

"Why, Renard? Do you have something in mind? These kids need you out there with them."

"You've read my files, Max, you know that's not true," says Renard, the intensity in his voice increasing very gradually as he speaks on, "You know I'm more valuable flying solo out there. That's what I do, I'm not a leader and I'm not a mentor."

- Mobile Suit Deck -

"Got it," Merzo sketches a salute in response to Shellia's series of commands. He pushes off the knee of what turns out to be Pris's Gaza C and propels himself toward the machine Shellia is already working on; she had said, after all, to do Binda Team mobile suits first, specifically the ones with major damage, and Matt Korbel's Gaza is the most damaged Bindra Team mobile suit.

He stops his movement by grabbing a part of the torso near the severed arm. "I'm handy with connecting limbs. They bring up a new arm from parts storage yet?"

Not long after saying that, however, he notices a particular uniform enter the suit deck at a middle catwalk. Turning his head for a clear look, he sees what is unmistakably their captain, Pizal Wald. "What's the captain doing here?"

Inferno

The Bindra
MS Deck

When Brutus found his wingmen, the results weren't pretty. He was yelling again and his face was turning pink. Astor tried to calm him down. "Sir, sir, please! We had to secure the area first before retrieving you. That's why it took so long!"

"ARE YOU TOO COWARDLY TO PULL ME OUT FROM UNDER ENEMY FIRE? IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY? DON'T JUSTIFY YOUR COWARDICE! ZEON EXPECTS MORE FROM YOU, YOU SIMPLE-MINDED RODENT!"

"No sir, we just wanted to make it safe for you! We were more worried about you than us!"

"WORRY? ABOUT ME? DON'T EVER INSULT ME LIKE THAT AGAIN! I AM A LOYAL KNIGHT OF ZEON AND I WILL NOT SUFFER YOUR INSULTS. I SHOULD HAVE YOU SHOT RIGHT NOW FOR THAT OFFENSE!"

"Sir, no please, sir, we're overseeing the repair of your Gaza-C, sir! We're very busy addressing the issues at hand, sir! We felt the need for action overrides formality, sir!"

Brutus sighed, and seemed to calm down. His rage eventually turned into an arrogant smirk. "Oh, is that the case? Well then, I will excuse your mistake for this being your first combat experience. Continue with the repairs, and then next time do not make the same mistake."

Astor nodded and ran over to Jules. The older pilot looked at the rookie. "So, our leader's an egotistical f%#$ing idiot. Delightful." Astor nodded reluctantly.

Meanwhile, Brutus turned his head to see Captain Wald enter. He quickly composed himself, and floated over. The captain seemed like a sensible man, and the rose from Karn was proof of competence. He saluted. "Brutus Anavel Peoron, leader of Mandra Team Two, reporting in, sir."
Scorpius7692

It had taken most of Jules's strength not to yell back at his commanding officer during his raging rant. How such a temperamental, close-minded fanatic could've been made an officer was suddenly beyond him. How hadn't he seen this side of Brutus before?

And poor Astor had taken the brunt of it. The kid had done a well enough job for his first battle, and now he had to hopelessly calm down Brutus. The only reason Jules kept himself from helping Astor was because he probably would've done so by punching Brutus in his snide face.

Brutus had finally calmed down, thankfully, and Astor had almost gleefully ran to Jules as if to get away from the man.

"So, our leader's an egotistical f%#$ing idiot. Delightful." he said, surprising himself at his bluntness, but feeling better for saying it at the same time. Astor nodded reluctantly, and Jules guessed that the kid was perhaps a little surprised as well.

"Alright then, Astor." he began, taking a deep breath to calm himself down. "Where is the Knight of Zeon's Gaza anyway?"
Fear the power of the skirted suit. Fear it.
Fritz Ashlyn

- The Bindra -
- Ready Room -

"You've read my files, Max, you know that's not true. You know I'm more valuable flying solo out there. That's what I do, I'm not a leader and I'm not a mentor," Renard explained, his own mind already made up. Ball hooked a thumb on his belt and blew out a breath, "I'm not shaping up as much of a mentor either, Renard. Thing is, you and I both know 'survivor', 'war hero', and 'suitable role model' all became synonyms on Axis in the last few years,". He leaned against the locker he had stopped next to and shook his head after a moment of thought. "I could certainly inform the captain of a change in the team lineup, but I'd rather not at the moment considering the circumstances..." he said, before giving a slight shrug and looking Baromsky in the eye to get his point across, "But I suppose once we launch it's up to you where your machine flies. I wouldn't want to second-guess a war hero,".

- Hangar -

Pizal opened his mouth to have Gina write something down when Brutus' screed directed at Astor caused him to stop and listen. When Brutus finished and turned around he would have found himself nearly face to face with the captain, who was waiting quietly with his hands clasped behind his back. The pilot closed the small distance and saluted before announcing himself, "Brutus Anavel Peoron, leader of Mandra Team Two, reporting in, sir."

"Mandra," Wald repeated the ship's name rather than returning the salute, the word spat from his mouth like an expletive. He looked around and noted the pair of pilots sulking together nearby before turning his gaze back upon Brutus. His eyes cut down to the rank tab on his collar. "JG," he said, his voice raised and stern but even, "If I were you I'd think twice about discussing who is to be shot aboard my ship,". He took a breath and his frown deepened but his voice lowered to a normal level and warmed the slightest bit, "Because I'm a professional soldier I won't hold your service under Capt. Bacon against you. But I'm going to make it perfectly, unmistakably clear here and now - the Mandra is gone and her incompetence is not going to be repeated by the Bindra or any mobile suit pilot that launches from her,".

He unclasped his hands and gestured to Gina, "Make sure Ltjg. Peoron and his men have their Gazas checked, repaired, and cleared top to bottom. Make sure they're in the queue if they haven't already been evaluated by Miss Northran's team,". He turned back to Brutus and finally saluted. "Welcome to the Bindra, JG," he ended the conversation before gliding past him in the general direction of Merzo and the crew working on Korbel's Gaza-C.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

The Loser Villain

- Corridors -

"Pup! What's with that whiny face? You're still alive for another fight, you should at least be grateful about that."

Nikolai wanted to shake Pris free from his arm, but he didn't honestly think he was physically able to. And that wasn't because he was exhausted, she was quite strong.

"I keep screwing up..." he finally admitted out loud. "I'm alive, yes, but only because the other guys saved my ass. And then even the grease monkeys kicked me out of the hangar because I'm falling asleep out there."

They were already outside the Ready Room at this point so he went in and found Ball and Baromsky having a conversation.

"Why, Renard? Do you have something in mind? These kids need you out there with them."

As he listened to them talk about experience, war hero, survivor, etc. it was painfully obvious to him that he and the other young pilots were next to useless. Without thinking he punched his locker, the noise reverberating through the room, no doubt interrupting the Lt.

"I think I need to sleep...." he turned to Pris, his right hand throbbing with pain, "Can you make sure I get there without passing out in the hall?" Nikolai didn't even wait for a response as he left the ready room.

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
Ziryab

Her arms folded, Pris merely shook her head once Nikolai tossed himself through the threshold and out the Ready Room.

"Please don't tell me ve vere EWER like that," tossing her head in the direction of the closed door. "Makes you vonder how in the gundarium uck greens like us became weterans? And on our own too, yeah lone volf?"

Pressing the door open before woaving the two off to lazily catch up with Nikolai she said waving them off, "Ewen vithout these Garbage-C's I'd still rather hunt vith my trained dogs and not someone else's puppy tripping my feet."

-- --
Moments later in the corridor as she tailed Nikolai at her own pace. "So you're not only upset you surwive your mistakes but also jealous you have not a badass lone volf with badass metal jaw?" Her tone more mocking than playful while the natural smirk on her face always tended to look more like sneer to some, though she really intended to try and cheer Nikolai.

The Loser Villain

- Corridors -

"So you're not only upset you surwive your mistakes but also jealous you have not a badass lone volf with badass metal jaw?"

Nikolai couldn't help but chuckle at Pris' impersonation of Renard. But he was still upset, mostly at himself for having made a scene in front of his team CO and XO.

"Godamn," he shook his hand trying to see if he did more damage then was currently felt. "Badass metal jaws aside, yes... Well, not that I'm upset being alive, trust me I enjoy that for whatever its worth."

He sighed again, seemingly the one thing he did constantly with perfection. This was all too much for someone his age, yet he was raised to do just this. Problem was the training wasn't as good as it should be. Trained to fly, shoot and land. Not how to stay alive and deal with the mistakes.

"I just don't want anybody else to die because of something I screwed up. Its one thing if I get myself killed. Its another if I get knocked off curse because of my own crappy skills and someone like Djorn or Matthew or... you died."

He shook his right hand again, the pain still throbbed. "Now I probably went and messed up my own hand." Another sigh escaped from his lips, "What should I do now?"

wonton bob

- Endra-class Bindra -
- Mobile Suit Deck -

Overhearing Wald's comment Shellia's eyes widen with dread and a pain similar to brain freeze struck her as she was repairing Korbel's Gaza. She nearly bit off her tongue while estimating the added work needed to be done.
The Bindra's Gazas was instantly increased and now Peoron's team was top priority.

"What an insult to our vets," she mumbled "Well, I guess some of our pilots will have to do without," she chirps while she stops working on Korbel's Gaza.
Cardi Doorl

- Endra-class Cruiser Bindra -
- Mobile Suit Deck -

Moments after Merzo had wondered aloud about the captain’s arrival, someone started ranting and raving, his shrieks rising above even the din of the busy mechanical work.

Merzo’s head snaps over to the source of that frothing rage and sees several unfamiliar men in pilots suits he doesn’t recognize; no doubt the Mandra pilots he’d heard would be making a temporary residence on the Bindra. After the loud Mandra pilot and Captain Wald share a brief exchange, the captain says something that Merzo doesn’t quite catch but Shellia, judging by a change in her posture, apparently does.

“What an insult to our vets,” she mumbles cryptically as she ceases work on Matt’s Gaza, “Well, I guess some of our pilots will have to do without.”

“The hell’s that supposed to mean, Chief?” Merzo pushes himself upward, closer to Shellia, to ask his question. In doing so, however, he gets clear view of Captain Wald approaching his general direction. S**t! Merzo whips out a hasty salute.

- Ready Room -

The change in Renard’s face is barely perceptible: the slightest narrowing of one eye, a few muscles barely tensed.

“I think we have a perfect understanding, Max.”

WHAM

Renard turns, unhurried, to where one of the young pilots has smashed a locker with his fist. Pris is also there. The young man - Renard hadn’t really bothered to remember the rookies’ names - mutters something to Pris before leaving.

Pris shakes her head. “Please don't tell me ve vere EWER like that,” gesturing to the door through which the greenhorn had departed, “Makes you vonder how in the gundarium uck greens like us became weterans? And on our own too, yeah lone volf?”

Renard offers no response to Pris’s commentary; he studies her impassively.

Pris makes her way out, offering a last piece of her mind. “Ewen vithout these Garbage-C's I'd still rather hunt vith my trained dogs and not someone else's puppy tripping my feet.”

A few moments after Pris’s departure, Renard pushes past Max to the showers, giving no indication that he has an opinion about anything.

Inferno

Brutus shrugged off the admonishment. "My mistake sir, I'm still a bit old-fashioned." He turned around and paced back to his men. "Keep alert, you two- The Mandra is a victim of the incompetent disgraces to our glorious Sovereign's legacy. Don't make the same mistake they did. Ready yourselves at all time to kill the earthnoid and his savage allies."
wonton bob

- Endra-class Cruiser Bindra -
- Mobile Suit Deck -

Normally a quiet and reserved girl, Shellia has always been protective of the unit's ability to go into combat. To her the pilots are an extended part of her family even if they don't know she exists.
Upon hearing that an outside group has top billing over her 'family's' well-being has enraged her.

Not having time to answer Merzo as the captain arrives, Shellia reluctantly salutes. "Sir," she intently stares at Wald "Increasing our numbers stretches our resources pretty thin. Our own experienced pilots' Gazas have greater need than the Mandra group. Making them top priority puts our pilots at risk."
Fritz Ashlyn

- The Bindra -
- Hangar -

The captain and his assistant approached Merzo and Shellia, and Wald briefly returned their salutes before he was blindsided by the chief mechanics' admonishments. "Sir, Increasing our numbers stretches our resources pretty thin. Our own experienced pilots' Gazas have greater need than the Mandra group. Making them top priority puts our pilots at risk," she lectured, her petite voice carrying impressively inside the noisy workspace. Gina clutched to her chest the clipboard she was toting and gave Shellia a dirty look. Pizal waited until she was done and then moved a bit closer to her and then leaned down nearer to her level.

"Miss Northran," he said, his voice lowered so that it would be swallowed up by hangar noise beyond the short range of the mechanic's hearing, "Who said anything about prioritizing the Mandra Gazas?". He gave her a small, conspiratorial smile and continued, "I simply want them put in the queue... Preferably near the bottom."
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Ziryab

- Corridors -

Pris tilted her head to one side, almost coming to sigh herself. Vhat am I, a den mother too? She wanted to say. Almost making her regret not having some agreement with Renard. She reached out for Nikolai's hand in question to inspect it.

"Hmm," she pronounced with enough sagacity to hide the fact she hadn't the slightest clue what she was doing or should be looking for.

She gave it an almost gentle squeeze. Then held it up towards the corridor lights. Then turned it over. Other than it being red--was it swelling too?--she didn't think too much was seriously wrong with it. The hell if I know what's wrong! Giving up.

"If you can still flex it," she paused, "it may not be broken. Fracture at most," she shrugged. "Ve go to sick bay and make sure. Maybe they have something to put you to sleep too... besides alcohol."