Episode 24 - Deadly Vortex [4th]

The last RPG was "Zeta Gundam: Tales from the Frontlines - The AEUG" which ran from 2006-14.
Fritz Ashlyn

Episode 24 - Deadly Vortex [4th]

((All AEUG players continue posting here.))

~February 1, Universal Century 0088~
~10:08 Coordinated Universal Time~

- Edge of Gryps Space -

- The Dervish -
- Bridge -

Wade came back to the bridge from a short break to find Abbey talking to the captain of the Irish as the fleet began the last part of its transit. He slipped past the captain's chair, staying out of the view of the monitors to get back to his station. "I'm just passing the word along, Capt. Abbey. The Argama wanted to give notice to everyone that we're on a 36-hour partial alert because Operation Maelstrom has been finalized and we're less than a day from Gryps. Just keep your long range channels clear," Capt. Mandena said. Carl nodded with a smile, "Right. We've been ready for over a week, ma'am,". She chuckled, "I think that goes for all of us, captain,". Wilson checked the ship's course to make sure nothing had changed while he was gone as the two captains ended their conversation.

The lights on the bridge un-dimmed as the communication link was broken, and the operators went back to their normal duties. "Well," Abbey sighed, "I guess it's that simple. Fly in, take the laser, hold the laser. I suppose we've got the 'easy' part,". Filmore turned in his seat and shrugged, "Hey, let the Argama and the Radish fly up close and get hammered. All we have to do is help clear out Axis and the Titans long enough for them to do their job,". Jungst snorted, "Yeah, that's all. Once we have Gryps 2 they're not just going to leave, genius,". Abbey shook his head, "This isn't going to be over in a day or two. Jungst is right,". Beyond Filmore and Jungst jabbing at each other with a few quiet, friendly insults the bridge grew quiet again.

"Less than a day from Gryps," Abbey thought, rubbing his forehead. Maybe a week or two from the end of the Titans. He lifted his hat to run his fingers through his thinning hair. The gray at his temples that had given him a look of experience had crept outward, and now looking at his salt and pepper hair only made him feel old. After this it was time to retire; two wars were enough. "Eh," he grumbled, shrugging slightly and dismissing those thoughts. Feeling sorry for himself wasn't very fun. "Jane, make sure to pass the word along," he said, looking back up to the bridge windows. "Already on it, sir," she answered, not turning away from the comm board.

Once they were close to Gryps 2, the 4th would be sent into a ready position. From there they would take part in Maelstrom as one of the 'arms' of the formation as the attack rotated around the colony laser. Because they were the largest intact fighting unit left, they would be largely on their own at the start. On top of that, Bright seemed to expect them to be successful enough to push ahead and station themselves close to the colony to give support to any other arms that were lagging behind. The 4th Squadron had come this far and had seen through missions that were, in their own way, more difficult. He hoped this would be the last one they'd have to undertake.

- Hangar -

Fritz gave Sager a hand, pulling him up and out of the small area inside his mobile suit's head where the inner workings of the vulcan phalanx system were located. While he began to wipe off his hands, Chief Polk said, "Looks like we finally got everything working in there,". Fritz climbed up onto the catwalk above them and nodded, "It's been giving me trouble since Zedan. The damaged limbs and systems were replaced but something wasn't corrected in the head,". "I'm not touching that one," Sager laughed, hopping down onto the suit's shoulder. He ducked into the open cockpit for a moment, hitting a few controls to close the 'lid' on top of the Rick Dias' head. When he came out and shut the cockpit hatch behind him, Fritz had already moved down the line to the next suit.

Sager walked after him and stopped above Michiko's suit. He crouched down and dropped safely from the metal walkway onto her Rick Dias as Fritz was leaning into the cockpit. "It looks like everything is running okay," Michiko answered Fritz, "I'm finishing up a systems diagnostic,". "Doc M told me to double check the binder joints," Sager spoke up. He gestured at the suit's back and explained, "Seems the newest computer update still sometimes misses problems with the propellant controls. I'll get back there and make sure everything's in working order when you're done,". Michiko nodded and Fritz said, "I'll go ahead and take a break then. I'm no good with propellant feed systems,". He climbed back up onto the walk and brushed off his old jumpsuit before heading for an exit.

- Team 1 Ready Room -

Celeste reclined on the couch in her team's prep room with a book in her lap. As she turned a page, the words blurred slightly and she instinctively raised a hand to her temple as a dull pressure seemed to fill her head. She shut her eyes and then looked up from the novel across the room to the trio of vending machines. Her gaze hesitated there for a moment, coming to rest on the glare on the shiny front of the drink dispenser. Its edges seemed to pulsate and grow and after a few seconds the brightness filled her vision, causing her to squeeze her eyes shut again and turn her head. She thought she heard a voice whisper, "picture,". "Clute?" she asked, opening her eyes to find the room was normal again.

- The Hamburg -
- Bridge -

"Excellent! Thank you, Chief Alman," Loweno responded to the pre-operation alert update. He turned away from the comm station rubbing his hands together like a caricature. "36 hours notice. We're not that far away, so that means Operation Maelstrom will probably start in the next 24 hours. I won't be able to sleep tonight, this is like Christmas!" he said almost gleefully, floating back to his command chair. "We've had an ETA figured since we left Amman, sir," Lt. Stalvern said, even though he knew he should be used to his captain's enthusiasm for conflict. "Yeah, yeah," Loweno said, waving his XO away. He began to drum his fingers on the armrests of his seat. As much as he wanted to get back to commanding his ship in combat, it was mostly born of a desire to see the war ended as soon as possible. If the methods he used to pursue that goal happened to be spectacular, well then that was a bonus. There was no rule against being entertaining and effective.

- The New Yark -
- Bridge -

After getting the news from Jane, Capt. Guanche went back to quietly reviewing intelligence materials. Despite an initial crackdown on information leaks, after a week it was all but confirmed that Jamitov Hymem had been killed in some sort of assassination or incident at Gryps. The word hadn't been passed down to the bulk of the AEUG's fighting men and women, but the biggest investors and backers were certainly aware of the news. Guanche had heard that the rumors were even causing problems on Earth and at some Federation bases, despite the Federal decision to slowly sever ties with the Titans. Winning a battle at Gryps might not be quite the decisive end to the war they were looking for - Axis would certainly still be a factor, and the government wasn't likely to spring into action immediately to defend against a threat to Earth. Hopefully the AEUG would still be enough of a factor to make a difference.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
hellbore

Re: Episode 24 - Deadly Vortex [4th]

- Edge of Gryps Space -

- The Dervish -
- Hanger -

Across from other Rick Dias', Adam was poking around the control conduits for his Kanone Dias' shoulder mounted beam cannons. He wasn't exactly used to an artillery support mobile suit and this was a new type of unit as well, so he was trying to learn as much as he could about it before they were called into action. He heard a noise above him and looked up, and saw one of the maintenance crew standing on the Kanone's shoulder. Looking perplexed, he said, "Is there anything I can help with, sir. I didn't think there were any issues with this unit."

"Oh, no," Adam replied, "I'm just taking a closer look. Here, help me up." He reached out his hand, which the tech grabbed and hauled the pilot out. Catching himself on the Dias' head, Adam said, "Thanks, I don't think I brole anything. Is there a manual or something for this mobile suit?"

"A manual, sir? There should be one in the cockpit."

"Thanks again," Adam said friendlily and lowered himself down to the hatch. The tech looked down and saw the maintenance hatch still open. He sighed and said, "I'll just clean this up then."
On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
toysdream wrote:I've always been partial to the Big Cloud of Balls
King Monkey

- Edge of Gryps Space -

- The Dervish -
- Hanger -

Much like Adam, Jacob was poking around his own Kanone Dias. It wasn't too unlike the variant suit he'd used in the last battle, though switching from a mass driving cannon to a particle cannon was certainly going to take some adjusting to. He should get a bit better performance out of the machine since he wouldn't have to waste propellant in keeping it steady when the cannons fired.

That was good. Somehow, he didn't think that blue Mobile Suit from the Titans was going to sit still and let him shoot it. He was going to need all the propellant he could get to chase it down and pay it back for what it had done.

Having checked on the shoulder cannons, he climbed down toward the chest and the inner forearms of the suit caught his attention. He'd almost forgotten how he'd painted the names of the two ships that had been lost in his first engagement stationed with this unit on the insides of the arms of his Nemo to remind him of why he was fighting.

It was funny now. He couldn't even remember the names of those ships, let alone anyone who'd been on them. Had he ever been so naive as to care about the lives of strangers? Strangers died every day. He tried to kill strangers every time he launched into combat. Strangers didn't matter. What mattered was paying the Titans back for the friends that he'd lost. And pay they would. The time was coming and he wasn't going to rest until every one who wore a Titans uniform came to regret their mistake.
Yep...That's Texas in a nutshell. Why just say "f**k you" when you can put it on a flag?

Want to play an Avenger or Spider-man? Come to Marvel 972: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Marvel_Eart ... hp?act=idx
mcred23

-The Dervish-
-Mess Hall-

"See Cowboy, you have no idea how awesome this is." Eddie said across the table, before forking another piece of chocolate cake into his mouth.

Marvin rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I know, the perks of an Irish. Gravity. Better conditions. Bigger target." He shook his head and took a bite of his hamburger.

Marvin's slight return to being morbid didn't go unnoticed. "Hey, I'm still happy from my birthday. Don't start that s*** again and make me depressed for ten minutes." He grinned and took another chunk from the sizable piece he had gotten from the cooks. "Which reminds me, is this shirt better?" Eddie asked with a laugh.

"Yes." Cowboy sighed. Jane had gotten Eddie a half dozen shirts for his birthday, a mix of stuff from those anicent rock bands and sports teams he liked, and Eddie had been wearing them with his usual pride. The one he'd worn the day before had been a black one with some sort of dead zombie looking thing, which Marvin really hadn't cared for, and he had actually mentioned that to Eddie. Todays was much more subdued, a blue one with the logo for one of the New Yark football teams.

Marvin tried to change the subject. "Any word on when we're getting to Gryps?"

"Nope." Eddie shook his head. "Should be in a day or two though, I think. I dunno, we'll go when they tell us to. Don't worry 'bout it. They'll give us a final heads up to get ready, not that we need it." He scoffed. Eddie hadn't been thrilled by the massive volume of information they'd been given to go over, which Eddie had them all read on their own, rather than lead a team briefing, which Marvin knew he hated to do. They'd all read everything on their own, which combined with several briefings for the entire Dervish MS team, had Eddie more worried about them being given too much information. But Eddie, being Eddie, had only mumbled that concern once, and left it at that. What was done was done.

And so was Eddie with that subject. "Anyway, why don't you get some of this?" He said, pointing to his chunk of cake with his fork. "It's good..." He trailed off with a grin.

Marvin shrugged. "Eh, I just don't want any today."

Eddie's jaw dropped for a moment, till he remembered to finished chewing the piece he had. "'Don't want any'?! Cowboy, this is what we're fighting for!" He declared.

"Cake?"

"Damn right!" Eddie said, as if it was common knowledge. Marvin merely shook his head, sighed yet again, and took another bite from his burger.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
blind_dead_mcjones

-The Balrampur-
-mobile suit hangar-

"I think i'm finally getting the hang of this" Wales muttered to himself as he scored his second kill in the simulator for the day, "two more left" sighting one of the enemy suits he brough the beam rifle equipped to the left arm to bear, firing a couple of loose shots, the enemy suit evaded them and returned fire with its own beam rifle, wales blocked the shot with the shield on the right arm before returning fire with the shoulder cannon, destroying the suit with one shot to the chest, before he could rejoyce there was a warning chime and then a crash as he was struck from behind, the screen flashing brightly before going blank as the simulator shut down.

"FUCK!" he swore as he opened the hatch "every damn time!"

"thats three times now" one of the techs told him as wales got out
"don't remind me" wales snapped back, "i'm taking a break" with that he left the hangar.

lets see where spacy is, maybe he could help with some pointers
Flag Fighter for life!
Tangerine

- The Hamburg -

The sound of the maintenance crew working around the hangar was cut silent by the smooth sound of the hatch door being sealed. Then the gentle hissing of air being pumped filled the cockpit. Irene couldn’t resist, it did brought back few memories from years passed.

She tightened her grip on the control trying to hold herself to this present time and not to be drifted into the past. Ache.. She felt a normal reaction in her hands and it brings herself to reality. The sound of her MS system being started and checked started to registered into her ears.

She exhaled softly and started to hum. She flexed her hands for few quick seconds and then concentrated on her screen.

Lt. Irene Kawamura
Simulation 221C/colony_cluster_wreckage14
Loading…

And then..

Standby..

She stopped her humming at the first light that appeared on the screen and then played her thrusters. Her suit started slow doing cautious zigzagging. Trying to be harmless, buying precious time to learn her surrounding.

“Ah I got it,” Irene exclaimed and started to hum her favorite song again. Out of nowhere fire being shot at her. “Long distance, eh.. not good enough,” she said freely. Bolts of beams showered at her with relative accuracy. She evaded the attack and found her target hiding behind a cluster of metallic panel.

“Got you!” she said with happy tone, rotating her suit and made a sharp turn to her target. A sense of laziness assaulted her. “Well, this is no cheating…” she smirked. Irene gave a slight correction to her aiming and unloaded her rifle’s charge.

Bolts after bolts rained to the metallic objects and violently tear them apart. Smoke and shrapnel were the byproduct along with minor explosion here and there. Lazyness prevented her from saving her ammo, and then one of them reached its intended target.

Simulation over
Time 1:52
Lt. Irene Kawamura 9th victory, 66% accuracy.

“It’s called hit and run, Mart. Not hide and seek,” Irene said to the receiver as she watched the report rolling.

Ens. Mart’s reply was a small laugh at first. “I can’t believe you would fire at me that intense Lieutenant,” he chucked and added, “I guess that’s good enough for my system check. I appreciate your assistance ma’am.”

“You’re welcome Mart.”

The simulation ends but she felt comfortable in the dimmed and quiet environment inside her unit. “Guess I could steal some nap time in here,” she smiled, discarded her helmet and started to relax.
Fritz Ashlyn

- Edge of Gryps Space -

- The Dervish -
- Hallway -

After leaving the hangar, Fritz headed for his team's ready room. He had been busy during the trip from Luna with all the material they had to condense into briefings, but eventually the meetings and prep work had gotten more boring than anything else. It wasn't until he found himself in the hangar making combat readiness checks on his Rick Dias that things seemed to take on a sense of real imminence. The familiar sense of urgency and nervousness that came with combat wasn't there yet though, but he knew that would come soon. He unzipped the top of his jumpsuit and pulled his arms out, letting the top half hang behind him. As he turned a corner near his destination, he almost ran into Celeine Caro'd. They both mumbled apologies and tried to move out of the others way, instead stepping back into each others path.

"Sorry," Celeine said again, a smile actually creeping onto her face instead of the usual sour look she reserved for him. Fritz folded his arms over his white undershirt and shook his head, "I wish I had a camera,". "Oh, shut up," she said, crossing her own arms and looking away from him. "Do I see a blush?" he chuckled, leaning over to look at her face. She frowned, an expression Fritz was much more familiar with, and shot back, "So when you're not being a bastard you act like a child?". "Ouch," he responded quietly. He began to rub his chin sheepishly and quickly tried to change the subject, "So Celeste mentioned a new plan you two came up with. You went to the hospital to see that pilot Nick asked about, right?".

"Yeah..." she answered, her glare softening again, "He's still alive, but... They said he won't ever wake up. Not really,". Fritz sighed, "Damn," and his shoulders drooped a little. "We have a picture and some records from the hospital... I hope it's enough," she said, not letting him in on the rest of their plan. Fritz shook his head, "He's unpredictable... Besides, there's no guarantee we'll even see him again. Even if we do, I don't know that Celeste or I will have the luxury of trying to talk to him,".

- Hangar -

Sager leaned back, clutching the exposed section of the Rick Dias' 'backpack' he was working on to keep himself from losing his balance. Michiko stuck her head and shoulders out of the cockpit so she could hear the Chief, and he waved for her attention and said, "Manually turn on the binder control. I'll need you to move stuff around as I work on it,". His gaze drifted over to Jacob's suit as she responded and popped back inside to work the controls. Markado was standing in front of his Rick Dias' midsection, staring at something Sager couldn't see. Even though he spent most of his time working in the hangar, he knew how much the young pilot had changed just in his time aboard the Dervish. "Hey, kid," he called out for Jacob's attention, "You all right?".

Above a set of adjacent MS racks Dr. M stumbled along, trying to finish his early lunch on the run and read some of his own notes at the same time. He bumped into the mechanic that had been talking to Adam and nearly lost the armfull of papers he was carrying. "Watch it, doc," the crewman said, making sure Merkwürdigliebe was steady on his feet before he moved on to tidying up after Trask. "Danke," the doctor nodded with one of his strange laughs. He moved to the suit's other shoulder and climbed down. "Ah, excuse me, Ltjg. Trask?" he asked, still trying to keep the papers from escaping his grasp, "I wanted to see what you think of the new model Rick Do-Dias. I know you, eh, haven't flown it in kombat yet, but I believe it is a great step forward,".

- The Hamburg -
- Hangar -

Alfred sat on his Nemo's shoulder, absentmindedly using a wrench to tap out a song he couldn't remember the words to. An unlit cigarette hung from his mouth. The crew in the hangar wouldn't let him smoke, and he figured it was a good idea because of all the particularly flammable things sitting around. He had watched Mart and Irene get into their suits and start up a computer exercise, and had stayed put instead of joining in. "There's enough real fighting left to do..." he thought, taking the cigarette from his lips and putting it back into the pack in his pocket. He still hadn't spoken much to either replacement. Mart seemed like a decent enough guy, but Al just didn't have the energy any more to reach out to him. Irene was nice to him too the few times they had interacted, and she was actually kind of cute. He wondered if maybe that's what he needed to get him out of his funk. Human contact...
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
King Monkey

Jacob's head rose slowly and he stared at Sager vacantly for a full second or more while his brain churned through gears to understand and respond to what the chief said. Finally, his mind catches up to the question and he nods.

It takes him a moment longer to remember that Sager might want more of a response. And that he wanted to make a bigger response. "Sure, Chief, I'm fine," he replied, flashing the other man a thumbs up. "No problems.

"Let me know when you're ready to check my machine. I want to look around and help out. I have to get used to my new payload. I don't think it's too much different from the last one, but I'd like to know how all the systems work."
Yep...That's Texas in a nutshell. Why just say "f**k you" when you can put it on a flag?

Want to play an Avenger or Spider-man? Come to Marvel 972: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Marvel_Eart ... hp?act=idx
The Loser Villain

-The Dervish-
-Mess Hall-

Sophie Coggs

"Hamburgers again," Sophie sighed looking at the tray she was carrying. Before she could look around for a place to sit she heard her team leaders voice raise over the din of conversation going on.

"Don't want any'?! Cowboy, this is what we're fighting for!"

Turning her direction to the source of the voice she saw Eddie and Marvin sitting at one of the tables.

"Cake?"

"Damn right!"

From what she could tell the conversion was about cake, unless of course they were using cake as a code word. With only one way to find out for sure Sophie walked over to the table. Sure enough there was actual cake on the table.

"Hey guys," she said taking a set next to Marvin. Over the last eight days of information overload she'd started to get to know her team better. Not a great deal better, but enough that taking a seat next to them without asking wasn't a problem. At least, she hoped so. "Nice shirt Eddie, was that another one of your birthday gifts?"

- Hangar -

Terrace Manosk

A Rick Dias was most certainly not a Nemo.

It had been a while now that Terrace had been transfered to the Dervish, but he was still in awe of the machine. In his mind the Rick Dias represented the AEUG more then the Zeta Gundam.

Having seen Adam looking over his Kanone Dias he was egger to find out what his teammates opinion on the new suit was.

"Hey Adam!" He yelled while using a lift to raise him up the the Kanone Dias' cockpit, "How's the Kanone looking?"
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
mcred23

-The Dervish-
-Mess Hall-

"Hey guys," Sophie said as she came and took the seat next to Marvin. He grinned, as always, while Marvin cracked a slight small and gave an nod that was likely imperceptible to Sophie, but noticed by Eddie. She had at least spent some time around them over the past few days, which already had them reguarding her a lot better than they did the withdrawn Wes, particularly Cowboy. "Nice shirt Eddie, was that another one of your birthday gifts?"

Eddie grinned at the acknowledgment and gave a nod as he swallowed another bite of cake. "Yep, and very timely too. G-Men crushed Londenion in the Super Bowl a few days ago." He proudly reported. Eddie ignored that Marvin, who wasn't much of a sports fan, rolled his eyes. Cowboy had already heard Eddie and Londenion native mechanic Tony Jones exchange more than a few light comments about the blow out game played in Francheska. Eddie had explained the whole situation to him Marvin a few times, who still didn't understand it all.

Eddie stabbed another chunk of cake on his plate. "So how is everything, Sophie?" Eddie asked before shoveling the piece into his mouth.

Fritz Ashlyn

- Edge of Gryps Space -

- The Dervish -
- Team 1 Ready Room -

Fritz sat down on the team's couch with a pouch of fruit juice and a copy of the fleet's final intelligence report heading into Gryps, disappointed to find Celeste was not there. After talking to Celeine about their "plan", he wanted to hear what Celeste thought of it. After all, it would be up to her to talk to Nick in the middle of a battle again. Volunteering himself to make an attempt had been different, but now that it was a pilot in his own team he didn't know if he was thrilled with the idea. In the middle of a furball as big as Gryps 2 would be he needed everyone pulling in the same direction and not distracted. If Nick fell into their lap maybe he'd try to buy her time, but he wouldn't go hunting for the man. He sighed and shook his head as he flipped open the cover of the report that sat in his lap.

- Mess Hall -

Celeste turned away from the serving line and looked around the seating area for a place to nibble at her small piece of cake while she read. A few clusters of crew were eating together and talking, but the only pilots she could see were from Team 2. As she approached their table, Eddie said something about Londenion that she couldn't quite make out. As Sophie sat down with her teammates, Celeste set her tray down in front of an empty chair and asked, "Mind if I sit near you guys?".

- Hangar -

Jacob gave a half-convincing nod in response to Sager's question and then added, "Sure, Chief, I'm fine. No problems... Let me know when you're ready to check my machine. I want to look around and help out. I have to get used to my new payload. I don't think it's too much different from the last one, but I'd like to know how all the systems work,". Sager waved back and nodded, "All right, kid. I'll be over there in ten minutes or so,". He shrugged, diving back into the work on the binder connection he had opened up. As long as Markado was still functioning he wouldn't push him. "Hey, Michiko, go through the commands to do a fuel dump on this binder - stop when it asks you to confirm it," he called out to Michiko, going back to his work. "Sure," she answered from inside the cockpit, her voice hard to hear over the background noise. The mechanical parts inside the connection clicked into a different position. "Hold it," he said, leaning closer to inspect what was going on.

"Hey Adam! How's the Kanone looking?" Terrace yelled up at Adam as he raised himself up on a work platform. "Eh, heh, hello there Ens. Manosk. I was just here to ask Ltjg. Trask that myself," Dr. M said, nodding awkwardly to the other pilot with a broad smile. He removed a pen from his red-stained front pocket and clicked it to the ready. "And is your suit to your liking so far? In addition to designing and maintaining these mobile suits I am still, eh, an employee of Anaheim Electronics, of course" he chuckled.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

King Monkey

Jacob kept looking toward Michiko's machine for a time. Theoretically, he was watching Sager do his work. In truth, he was still lost in thought. The hangar was filled with a cacophony of human voices shouting to one another and machines whirring and buzzing and clanging as everyone went through the process of making sure all the Mobile Suits were combat ready. But that end goal was not obvious. Everyone wasn't grim and determined. They were simply going about their business, sometimes even with a hint of humor. They could have been working on anything in that hangar.

Maybe this is what he would do after the war. Maybe he'd try to become a mechanic. After he destroyed that blue Mobile Suit, he would have to find something to do with himself and he couldn't stand the thought of fighting again.

Shaking himself out of those thoughts, he caught the end of the exchange between Terrace, Adam and Dr. M. "Hey, Doctor..." there was an awkward pause as Jacob tried to remember and figure out how to pronounce the man's last name. Finally, he just let the greeting trail off. "Uh...I looked at the specs, but can you tell me how this machine's going to perform compared to the type that had the other cannon on the binder?"

The Loser Villain

-The Dervish-
-Mess Hall-

Sophie Coggs

"So how is everything, Sophie?"

What should have been an easy question to answer, required Sophie to take a moment and think. How was everything? Really, how was everything going on in her life at that moment in time? She looked over at Marvin, and he looked like his response would not be that positive.

"Well, okay. I haven't seen Rem around at all the last few days," she had to get that off her chest since it was nagging in the back of her head, "Have either of you seen him?"

-Hangar-

Terrace

"Eh, heh, hello there Ens. Manosk. I was just here to ask Ltjg. Trask that myself. And is your suit to your liking so far? In addition to designing and maintaining these mobile suits I am still, eh, an employee of Anaheim Electronics, of course."

"Ah, Dr. M," Terrace said slightly startled. To say the Dr. disturbed him wouldn't be that far off. "Yes Dr., the Rick Dias is a very impressive machine. More then I could ever..."

He was cut off as Jacob began to talk to Dr. M. "Hey, Doctor... Uh...I looked at the specs, but can you tell me how this machine's going to perform compared to the type that had the other cannon on the binder?"

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
mcred23

-The Dervish-
-Mess Hall-

Sophie took a moment to respond, which Eddie barely noticed. "Well, okay. I haven't seen Rem around at all the last few days. Have either of you seen him?"

"Just around the hangar. We try and avoid him, though. Too technical." Eddie replied, while Marvin snorted in agreement as he continued to attack his hamburger.

It was then that Celeste appeared. "Mind if I sit near you guys?".

Eddie nodded. "Sure, take a seat." He gave a quick grin, and promptly took another chunk out of his large piece of cake.

Fritz Ashlyn

- Edge of Gryps Space -

- The Dervish -
- Hangar -

"Yes Dr., the Rick Dias is a very impressive machine. More then I could ever..." Terrace answered before Jacob called out and interrupted him. "Hey, Doctor... Uh...I looked at the specs, but can you tell me how this machine's going to perform compared to the type that had the other cannon on the binder?" he asked, raising himself up to their level on the work platform. The doctor smiled at both pilots and clicked his pen closed, "Oh my. This is why they give me an assistant, ja?". He put the pen back in his front pocket and began to flip through the stack of papers he was carrying. "I'm glad to hear you're impressed mit our work, ensign," he said absentmindedly to Terrace as he slid a few pieces of paper out from the middle of his scribbled notes and printouts.

He held it out for Jacob to take and explained, "This should, eh, be the calculation I did by hand a few weeks ago comparing the top performances of the two models. You know, your Mr. Gates is being paid a small bonus by Anaheim because you are in effect, eheh, being used as test pilots,". He chuckled nervously and added, "Of course, you are not in danger. The changes to the design are the result of work done by myself and Mr. Banner. There were multiple courses of computer testing before the Kanone models were manufactured, as we always do with any AE product,".

"Yeah, that got it. Go ahead and shut it down," Sager instructed Michiko as he swatted shut the housing of the binder section he had been checking. After making sure everything was closed down and secure, she climbed out of the cockpit and onto the catwalk. "Thanks, chief," she said, looking in Jacob and the others' direction. "Do you think he's all right?" she asked. Sager pulled off his gloves and blew out a breath, "Are you all right?". "What?" she asked, turning back to him. Sager shrugged and wiped his hands on his overalls, "Since before we got back to Amman last time, you seemed a little different... It's not really my business, but the crew said a few different things about you, and...". She blushed a little and crossed her arms, frowning slightly. "And? ...And Fritz?" she asked, forcing herself to say it.

Sager scratched the back of his neck and gave a half shrug, and reluctantly said, "Yeah, I guess. Like I said it's not my business. I was just wondering how you're doing,". Michiko pulled herself up higher onto the walkway that ran across the whole side of the hangar. "I'm fine, chief. Fritz is married, and I'm happy,".

- Mess Hall -

"Sure, take a seat," Eddie grinned, and Celeste nodded and sat down with her book. After hearing what Sophie asked, she pulled off a small piece of her cake and chimed in, "I haven't seen him in a day or two. I think Dr. M keeps him pretty busy since we left Luna,".

- Team 1 Ready Room -

Fritz turned the page to one of the sections in the intelligence report he was actually interested in reading. What caught his eye immediately was the mention of Jamitov's death and the failed coverup the Titans had scrambled to put in place. From what the AEUG knew, rumors had started to leak out almost immediately after it had happened, partially because of the manner in which it was announced to the fleet. They thought Bask had tried to backpedal at some point and keep it from trickling down to the whole organization but that had proven impossible. Their main goal at that point was keeping the news from reaching Axis, the AEUG and most importantly the Federation. Once the government heard the news the rest of the support for the Titans evaporated. The thing he found entertaining in the middle of it all was that the leak seemed to turn into a problem for the Federal Forces of all things. There were already unconfirmed reports of unrest in scattered Federal military units. He took another drink of juice and kept reading.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

blind_dead_mcjones

-The Balrampur-
-bridge-

reclining slightly in his chair, Captain karl keaton hummed softly to himself, despite the anticipation and inherent danger in the upcomming operation he was in a good mood, especially with the rumours circulation that Jamitov had been assassinated, which made the current task at hand much easier to concentrate on, once they had repelled axis from the colony laser he felt that mopping up what was left of the titans would be a cakewalk, in theory at least, provided the titans leadership was in complete disarray. he was brought out of his thoughts by the sound of the access door opening, looking to the door in question karl saw one of the replacement pilots had invited himself onto the bridge,

"Ensign Ingleshard, to what do i owe the visit?" he asked, his voice taking the pilot out of what appeared to be a slight stupor
"huh? oh um, apologies captain, was just looking for the rest of the team i'm flying with, but can'tseem to find them so, here i am" Wales replied, karl just shrugged and turning his attention back to the main window, soon they would be within visual range of gryps.

"open a line to the dervish" Karl instructed his XO, seconds later he was in contact with Captain abbey

"Captain abbey" he began "has a decision been made as to the order our ships have to be in for our 'arm' of the formation?"
Flag Fighter for life!
King Monkey

- Edge of Gryps Space -

- The Dervish -
- Hangar -

A faint blush erupted on Jacob's cheeks when he realized that he'd jumped right in the middle of someone else's conversation. It made sense, he supposed. The Doctor and Terrace were standing close enough together that it was only logical they were talking.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt," he offered to both men. Fortunately, the Doctor was able to add him to the conversation without, apparently, derailing it.

Jacob took the sheet handed to him and studied it closely. The frown that furrowed his brow might have been taken for concentration. In truth, it was pure confusion. The numbers, symbols and letters on the page meant next to nothing to Jacob. He was able to latch onto a couple of things but it didn't take long before following them lead to calculations that were incomprehensible.

"Uh...looks good," he finally said after coming to the conclusion that he would get no real understanding from the sheet. He handed it back over to the Doctor.

"Oh, well, if the computers say it's ok..." Jacob joked, smiling for the first time since coming to the hanger. "We know they're never wrong.

"But I do trust you Doctor. And Rem. You guys know what you're doing. If you say it's safe then I guess it must be as safe as anything else around here. I mean, it's not like we're getting shot at or anything out there, right? As long as there's less chance of the machine blowing up for no reason than there is because of the Titans, we're coming out ahead."

The Loser Villain

-The Dervish-
-Mess Hall-

Sophie Coggs

"Just around the hangar. We try and avoid him, though. Too technical." Eddie had responded with also providing a snort to back up his statement.

Technical was one way to describe Rem, that was for sure. Sophie felt her cheeks heat slightly as she was going to respond when Celeste had approached the table.

"Mind if I sit near you guys?"

To which Eddie responded, "Sure, take a seat."

"I haven't seen him in a day or two. I think Dr. M keeps him pretty busy since we left Luna." Celeste must have heard Sophie's question.

"Yes, I guess you're right..." she trailed off and then began to eat her food.

-Hangar-

Terrace

"Oh my. This is why they give me an assistant, ja? I'm glad to hear you're impressed mit our work, ensign," Dr. M said to Terrace.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt." Jacob added just before Dr. M went into an explanation about the new machine. Terrace tunned out as they talked but then caught the last part:

"But I do trust you Doctor. And Rem. You guys know what you're doing. If you say it's safe then I guess it must be as safe as anything else around here. I mean, it's not like we're getting shot at or anything out there, right? As long as there's less chance of the machine blowing up for no reason than there is because of the Titans, we're coming out ahead."

"I'll say," Terrace added to that with a grin. "We shouldn't have to worry about anything like that, right Doc?"

Fritz Ashlyn

- Edge of Gryps Space -

- The Dervish -
- Hangar -

Abbey rose from his command chair and removed his hat to smooth down his hair as Jane patched through a call from the Balrampur. Keaton was a fairly quiet man, and he had gone about his business since the fleet had left Amman. On the largest monitor above him, Karl's image faded into view. "Capt. Keaton," Abbey nodded, putting his cap back on. "Captain Abbey, has a decision been made as to the order our ships have to be in for our 'arm' of the formation?" Karl asked. "Well, unfortunately - or fortunately, if you think like Capt. Loweno - we're moving in a cycle that is nearly on the other side of Gryps from the Argama," he began to answer, smiling. He rested his hands on his hips and continued, "So in effect we'll be hitting sections of the enemy's defense before, and simultaneously with, the Argama and Radish. We've still got enough operational strength to be used out in front,".

- Hangar -

"Uh...looks good... Oh, well, if the computers say it's ok..." Markado smiled, handing the notes back to Dr. M. The doctor seemed to be oblivious to how little the mess of numbers and figures had helped Jacob as he nodded and stuffed the papers back into his bundle of data. "But I do trust you Doctor. And Rem. You guys know what you're doing. If you say it's safe then I guess it must be as safe as anything else around here. I mean, it's not like we're getting shot at or anything out there, right? As long as there's less chance of the machine blowing up for no reason than there is because of the Titans, we're coming out ahead," Jacob explained. "I'll say," Terrace added to that with a grin. "We shouldn't have to worry about anything like that, right Doc?"

Merkwürdigliebe blushed and laughed, "Oh, you flatter me, gentlemen,". He adjusted his grip on the tower of papers and bowed slightly, "I assure you, eh, the Rick Dias vill not blow up. Not unless you tell it to,". He chuckled and added, "Not the new models, in any case,". It seemed fairly clear he was making a joke, but the delivery was as strange as his usual manner of speech.

At Team 3's section of MS racks, the 'missing' Rem Banner was at work hanging halfway inside an open section of Rick Archer's Rick Dias Custom. After Clute's machine had been totaled, a lot of work had been done to retool the suit's verniers and balance, and the slight "upgrade" had to be maintained and checked more often than the ones used by Fritz and Eddie. "Cycle the rotation on and off," Rem called out instructions up to the cockpit. "Gotcha," Rick yelled back, inputting a set of commands into the keypad next to his seat.

- Team 1 Ready Room -

Fritz had just set the intelligence report down on the table in front of him when Michiko entered the room. They uncomfortably locked eyes for a few moments before Michiko headed for her locker. "Was Celeine in the hangar?" Fritz asked as he picked up the report again to give himself something to do while she was there. She opened her locker and pushed aside the normal suit and extra clothing hanging inside, rummaging through her own belongings for nothing to look busy. "Uh, no..." she answered quietly, thankful that she was facing away from him as she felt her cheeks grow warm. "Oh..." he said, frowning at his own slight embarrassment, "I need to ask her about something,". He thought it was stupid to act this way, yet he couldn't relax. They had been good friends for so long and now it was awkward to be alone in the same room. Of course, there was a reason for that...
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Tangerine

- The Hamburg -

Another day passed quietly. Even Irene starting to get used to the situation. Few important routine and lots of creativity here and there, basically to kill time while maintaining their readiness. Irene sat alone at the ship's cafeteria. She finished her toasted bread and sipped plain water. Her taste bud rebels against the plain taste of purified water in her tongue. Before she could think more about it someone tapped her at the back.

“Ah, sorry lieutenant, I don’t know you were drinking,” Mart said apologetically.

Irene finished her drink and answered casually, “That’s ok Mart. So how come you arrived so early in the morning. They don’t serve meal until 0800 you know.”

“No no, I was loitering around and found you here. I can’t sleep much, thought it’s a good idea to walk around instead of staying in bed awake. How bout you lieutenant, are you always wake up this at this hour?”

Irene relaxed her back while Mart took the chair opposite her. “Well,” she began. “Yeah, I’m used to wake up early and get my breakfast.” Mart was about to interject when Irene gave him the reason, “I don’t like watching people eating full meal while I can only eat toast bread in the morning.”

“Oh..” Mart said contentedly. “I guess that’s an honest reason. Are you on a diet?”

Irene smiled at the question, choosing not to answer. “Ohh you men… what kind of women doesn’t watch their waistline,” she thought to herself. Eating the same amount of food on low gravity means more exercise if she wanted to keep her weight ideal, not something she would do happily aboard a warship.