Mobile Suit Gundam SEED TWILIGHT

Your own tale of two mecha.
Antares

An epic battle in the works. Although as much as I love Athrun, you kinda lost me there with the attack on the surface ships. It was something more akin to Evangelion than Gundam. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it somehow didn't feel quite right. IJ could probably pull and manipulate a frigate size ship around, but raise it and throw.. I'm just not that sure about that. And I could hear the Windam pilots go "I call hax on that!" ;)

Otherwise it was excellent battle description. I've noticed myself that episodes that contain a lot fighting tend to get longer by default when you add detailed explanations on fight choreography that regular dialog-based interaction just doesn't need. And since you are in the big thirties of your storyline, and you've carefully kept the Minerva crew alive so far, I am anticipating a death in the ranks, since the battle really is so epic in its magnitude.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
RedBlitz

I just started reading your work and it's pretty dam good. Since i'm only at phase 5 you can take your time updating, I wont be catching up for a while! lol

And the others??? I dont care!! :twisted:
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
ShadowCell

Phase 36 is up.

I hope I'm not laying it on too thick (with "it" being open to interpretation, I suppose). ><
Thundermuffin

I kinda expected who rescued the Minerva and crew. I look forward to seeing how Shinn and Athrun react to siding with them...
'Dustin'

IT's funny. I don't like SEED, yet I read all this. And I love it. I also found out you have more SEED fictions than I first thought. I'm liking it all.
Lord Synical

Hee.

After talking to chris on MSN and bugging the hell out of him about Eternity and Twilight, I'm itching to see Eternity especially.

Juicy juicy things, mang.

Juicy juicy things.

Also, I haven't seen you on MSN, so just wanted to say it's good to see your operation and stuff went sweet, chris. I nearly needed new pants when I saw you'd put up three or four new phases.

Though, I have to question as to the wisdom of having a sudden WTFBBQ save for the Minerva like that. I sort of anticipated another character death, even looked forwards to it. That would have to be my only criticism, that you sort of pulled this entire rescue mission out of nowhere - it was very reminiscent of SEED, very epic and I cheered when is saw it, but after considering it I have to say you leaked back into the impossible rescues SEED and DESTINY were ruined for.

Though, i suppose killing off Lacus and Cagalli and the Archangel and turning Kira evil via Valentine sort of outweighs this. So, yeah, you get a bypass this time! :P
Sting Oakley wrote:I am the pillow pope!
Antares

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam SEED TWILIGHT

I finally got into MechaTalk again to comment. A desperate fight, sure enough, and the resolution wasn't too bad. Although, you used the same phrase twice (I think it was Destiny "slaloming through the beams" or something...) in the same context within a few paragraps, but that was the only language issue. I do have to say I was a bit disappointed about what happened to Sven, since his appeal in Stargazer was pretty much fixed on the idea that he was a true Natural, who was simply skilled. But that's also a minor issue in the larger scheme of things, in which your fic rolls onward with an excellent pacing. :)
Mr. Hanekoma

I marathoned both this fic and its prequel (and the numerous side stories) over the course of a week and I must say that I am very impressed with the quality of the writing. I've read very few Seed and Destiny fanfics that were any good, and even fewer that were as good as this. The thing that really makes me like Twilight is the fact that you did not give Emily her own uber Gundam, and instead have her piloting a Destiny built out of spare parts. I hate it when authors cram dozens of poorly thought-out (and usually crudely drawn) original designs into fanfiction.

There are a few things I have problems with, though they do not subtract from the story too terribly much. While necessary, I don't see the point of giving the Druggies a six chapter long side story when they don't ever appear again (at least so far). I like that you gave them their own story, but surely you could've told the same story in half the time, right?

Kira's seduction by Valentine seemed a little strange to me. It was well done, Kira just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would do that. He always struck me more as a chaste hero than anything, and IMO Fllay's death would have only made him stick to that. Though, considering the emotionally unstable wreck you've turned him into (which I love), and nothing he does surprises me anymore.

The Gundamjack of the Destiny and the other upgrades seemed a bit far-fetched, mainly Shinn flying into the Minerva to steal the Destiny. Everything blends together after a marathon, so I can't remember exactly if Shinn knew about the Destiny being there, but if he did then nevermind.

The only problem I have with Twilight is the deus ex machina you used in the last chapter. Now, being an anime fan, I'm used to such things and there was really no other way you could've done it, but to do it so blatantly, with no foreshadowing whatsoever, was jarring.

Other than these relatively minor complaints, the series is good, and I can't wait to see more.
They're high on the watchtowers
Keeping the peace, whatever that means
'Cause you see the world through,
Crosshairs and T.V.s don't you?
ShadowCell

Good Lord, all that in a week? I feel bad now.
Mr. Hanekoma wrote:The thing that really makes me like Twilight is the fact that you did not give Emily her own uber Gundam, and instead have her piloting a Destiny built out of spare parts. I hate it when authors cram dozens of poorly thought-out (and usually crudely drawn) original designs into fanfiction.
I guess this is the part where I mention all the poorly thought-out and crudely drawn original designs that show up in "ETERNITY," huh?

I suppose to be fair, they're mostly prototypes that are meant to level the playing field, but still... =P
There are a few things I have problems with, though they do not subtract from the story too terribly much. While necessary, I don't see the point of giving the Druggies a six chapter long side story when they don't ever appear again (at least so far). I like that you gave them their own story, but surely you could've told the same story in half the time, right?
I gave the druggies six chapters precisely so that I could shuffle them off to Jupiter and get them out of the way, and that was for several reasons. For one, I wanted somebody to have a happy ending, among all the characters who died and all the survivors who just wish they had died. For another, although for a while I toyed with the idea of having them join the Junk Guild, I decided against it because I thought the cast was already crowded. Looking back, I think I underutilized a lot of characters (like Yzak, Rey, and Dullindal), and throwing in another three would probably have only made that worse.
Kira's seduction by Valentine seemed a little strange to me. It was well done, Kira just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would do that. He always struck me more as a chaste hero than anything, and IMO Fllay's death would have only made him stick to that. Though, considering the emotionally unstable wreck you've turned him into (which I love), and nothing he does surprises me anymore.
I was going off the basis of Kira in the first half or so of SEED, where he was much more unstable and vulnerable to manipulation. The Kira from the first half of SEED strikes me as a completely different person from the Kira of the second half of SEED, and although at least Second Half Kira wasn't crying all the time, it seems like a pretty wild jump to me. So when he broke down in Lacus's arms after Rau revealed to him the circumstances of his birth, I saw it as the old vulnerable and emotional Kira making a comeback. Unfortunately, the last few episodes of SEED then jump ahead a few months to skip over the process of the Earth Alliance recapturing territories from ZAFT, so they kind of write Kira's troubles into the background. If I were doing that story over again, I'd probably go about Kira's fall from grace differently, but, oh well.
The Gundamjack of the Destiny and the other upgrades seemed a bit far-fetched, mainly Shinn flying into the Minerva to steal the Destiny. Everything blends together after a marathon, so I can't remember exactly if Shinn knew about the Destiny being there, but if he did then nevermind.
Shinn and Co caught sight of them while they were being transferred to the Minerva, so they knew they were there. Although that's another thing I'd probably do differently if I could, at the same time it seemed like having Shinn just stumble into a hangar that just so happened to have a super-advanced prototype sitting there unattended was even more far-fetched.

As for how the last chapter of "TWILIGHT" ended, I'll add that to the list of things that need revising in the editing phase. I think I foreshadowed it in one scene, where Wellington said that some of his men were conducting maneuvers in the area, but it's probably easily forgotten.
Mr. Hanekoma

Good Lord, all that in a week? I feel bad now.
I'm a very fast reader, and summer has afforded me too much free time.
I guess this is the part where I mention all the poorly thought-out and crudely drawn original designs that show up in "ETERNITY," huh?

I suppose to be fair, they're mostly prototypes that are meant to level the playing field, but still... =P
I've checked your art thread several times while reading the story, and you're pretty good at the whole frankening (did I use that term correctly?) thing. Now, whether or not they're poorly thought-out is still to be decided. I guess we'll have to wait and see, won't we?
I gave the druggies six chapters precisely so that I could shuffle them off to Jupiter and get them out of the way, and that was for several reasons. For one, I wanted somebody to have a happy ending, among all the characters who died and all the survivors who just wish they had died.
You have a point there. Many times while I was reading the story, I couldn't help but draw comparisons between you, Tomino, and George R.R. Martin. All three of you have no qualms about killing off important or popular characters. Shadowcell, you truly are not a merciful creator. I just can't help but wonder if we've truly seen the last of the druggies, but considering the lack of attention given to Jupiter in the main fic, I guess they're never coming back.
Looking back, I think I underutilized a lot of characters (like Yzak, Rey, and Dullindal),
I agree that it seemed like Rey and Dullindal were underutilized, but characters like Yzak, Dearka, and Andy served their purpose in my opinion: have named characters to provide support to Shinn and the rest while making funny quips. I think they served their purpose as well as they could've. At least Yzak and Dearka didn't vanish for thirty episodes only to show up for thirty seconds in the last two chapters.

Also, concerning Rey and Dullindal, I think you did the best you could with them. Considering the source material, you weren't given much to work with. They both came off fairly well, though Dullindal never seemed to be the main antagonist as much as Kira or Rau did.

I was going off the basis of Kira in the first half or so of SEED, where he was much more unstable and vulnerable to manipulation. The Kira from the first half of SEED strikes me as a completely different person from the Kira of the second half of SEED, and although at least Second Half Kira wasn't crying all the time, it seems like a pretty wild jump to me. So when he broke down in Lacus's arms after Rau revealed to him the circumstances of his birth, I saw it as the old vulnerable and emotional Kira making a comeback. Unfortunately, the last few episodes of SEED then jump ahead a few months to skip over the process of the Earth Alliance recapturing territories from ZAFT, so they kind of write Kira's troubles into the background. If I were doing that story over again, I'd probably go about Kira's fall from grace differently, but, oh well.
Ah, that makes sense. The series did skip over a lot of potential character development in the end in favor of awesome laser battles in space. However, regardless of whether or not he was emotionally unstable, you'd think Kira would become suspicious of anyone involved with Rau La Creuset, who has never been anything but an enemy to him. But people do strange things and are susceptible to influence by just about anyone when in the state Kira was in, so it kinda makes sense. Rau is a master at manipulation, and would know just the right buttons to press to turn Kira into a little deathbot.

Anyway, it's a great story and I can't wait to read more of it. Here's hoping the next chapter comes soon.
ShadowCell

Phase 37 up gaaaaaawd that took forever.
Thundermuffin

Wow, Viveka, shut down.
Antares

The real beef of the episode was the Athrun-Vivieka -exchange, which was pretty good indeed. The exchange made me wonder though with under such a burden, how exactly can Athrun manage to pull himself up each morning?
ShadowCell

I figure he does it because he has to. I've always tried to take seriously the fact that Athrun was raised by a military man, ingraining in him a very internalized sense of discipline. It's one of the things that set him apart from Kira.
Antares

Sure, I can see how that would be the only thing he has left. Poor sod. As much as I want him to "rediscover" the warmer and fuzzier things in life, his past is what has made him the man he is now. In your version, even Shinn can't compete with this level of (albeit more contained) angst. ;)

Of course, there is still time for you to go in whatever direction with this. Were you planning on the usual 50 Phases?
ShadowCell

Yeah, I"m still doing fifty phases, although the pace at which I finish them is still up in the air. =P
Mr. Hanekoma

Wow, Athrun can really preach, no? I love the relationship between him and Viveka, and this is definetly one of the best written parts in your series. Its like reading a high school romance novel but with twenty-meter tall WMDs!

I have to say though, the whole thing between Emily and Isaac is ridiculously obvious. I mean, it works, but it just feels kind of sudden and out of nowhere. Then again, these are two teenagers and stranger things have happened. And am I reading into things, or is there some flirting (of a strange and twisted sort) going on between Shinn and Meryin?
ShadowCell

Yeah, I was afraid it was obvious. ><
Commissar Bright Noa

Some odd questions for you.

What do they do with the catapult used for the Impulse on the Minerva?

What is your guestimate on how many MS the Minerva holds?
ShadowCell

I think I've mentioned it in the story a couple times that they use it to launch weapons to resupply their pilots in battle.

I guess the Minerva holds between eight and twelve mobile suits, I suppose. MAHQ guesses ten, anyway.