ShadowCell Draws Stuff and Puts it On the Internets

The place to share your artwork.
ShadowCell

Pfft. The sheer number of remote weapons would reduce you to a quivering blob of agony, as it did to me.

Eventually I might make it, if I get into the proper mood of boredom, mild disdain for everything around me, and chemically-induced hallucination.
Heretic

It’s interesting how we’re both working on SEED Fan Fiction yet we each have very different takes on what direction the CE should progress in. The main difference on my part is my absolute refusal to directly use the main cast of the show. A few make an appearance near the end but they aren’t the stars of my story.

I’m also keeping most of the main plot points as part of the background story. But all save further comparisons and comments on the fiction itself for your thread in the Fan Fiction section (when I finally get around to reading more of your work.)

For the artwork, I won’t say much because I don’t want to say anything too negative. I know people are hard to draw and until a few months ago I wasn’t any good at all. In that regard I can only suggest continued practice and perhaps an instructed book that starts at the basics. (Not trying to be offence here, I needed to go back to the basics myself)

As it is the artwork conveys enough of your ideas to give at least a clear mental image of what the characters and their uniforms would look like.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
ShadowCell

Heretic wrote:For the artwork, I won’t say much because I don’t want to say anything too negative. I know people are hard to draw and until a few months ago I wasn’t any good at all. In that regard I can only suggest continued practice and perhaps an instructed book that starts at the basics. (Not trying to be offence here, I needed to go back to the basics myself)
Anything in particular that you noticed? Humans are deceptively difficult to draw, and some parts of them still cause me trouble.
Heretic

Overall the proportions are off or inconsistent on most of your drawings. To help with that I would suggest starting out with drawing them as stick figures to get the lengths of the body, arms and legs in proper proportion with the head. This also helps in making sure the posses are more natural.

Second, the body lines are rather stylized like that of some web comics and don’t flow naturally making the characters seem too cartoonish and a little harder to take seriously. To help this, take the stick figure and build it up bit by bit and compare it to various references, (pictures of anime characters if you want a more anime style or of real people if you want a more realistic style, maybe a little of both.) If you make a mistake like making part of the leg too thick or whatever, don’t be afraid to go back and redraw it.

I personally work by building up a drawing with many lines then sculpt it into shape with my eraser. It helps if you have a really good eraser.

After solving these problems many of your others will solve themselves, such as the uniforms not hanging off the body naturally.

There are plenty of books and online resources that can help you with proportions and body shapes, the trick is finding the ones that work best for you. If one doesn’t seem to be helping at all, try another. Don’t be afraid to shop around for advice and keep practicing.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
Aegis

Well... truth be told, the anatomical mistakes tend to vary with each pic, so we'd have to go in there and critique each one of them. Some have short arms and long legs, some have long bodies, some have knees that look to be too low, some have their crotches placed rather low... I'll just pick a picture and go with Crayt Markov.

The biggest issue to note is that her figure is based off of the male figure. Her upper body and shoulders are rather wide, and her hips and waist look to be too narrow. I'm assuming that she's supposed to be a more heavy set woman, which is fine. Even body building women still maintain the general 'hour-glass' figure, albeit not a voluptuous one. So, I would suggest widening the hips more, and maybe (though not necessary) narrow the shoulders a tad. I'd also want to decrease the size of her chest, as that seems to be what's making her shoulders look wider than they're supposed to be.

Miscellaneous items include the lower crotch, and by extension, the shorter legs, along with the small head, and the small hands. Can't really explain how much to adjust the size without showing it to you by picture. In fact, kinda wanna sketch my own for the sake of it just for the sake of having a visual.

As for Heretic's suggestion, one thing I would really emphasize is to use real people as references moreso than anime. It gives you a better understanding of not just the proportions of the body, but also helps you figure out how the parts are attached, and how they actually move. Then you can go on to cartoons in which you'll have a better understanding of how to bend or break the rules. I'd also highly suggest that you draw out the figure first, and leave the clothes last. You'll get a better idea of how the clothes should actually fall on the body, while maintaining the anatomy's consistency.

In the end the men look like men, and the women look like they can kick you ten ways to Sunday. And that's what's important. ;P
ShadowCell

More Gundam designs. They're all built on the same frame, which was accomplished by drawing one and tracing the frame, while adding all the other stuff on to differentiate them. I thought this would be a totally awesome excuse to be lazy. It was not.

Anyways.

ZGMF-X26S Rogue Savior Gundam - Oh, sure, it does transform, but I'm lazy and didn't feel like drawing the transformation. So, uh, there.

ZGMF-X27S Royal Gundam - It used to be shiny and gold, but I didn't feel like keeping it shiny and gold, so now it's black and purple.

ZGMF-X29S Gunbarrel Chaos Gundam - Four gunbarrels! Whee. No transformation, though, because the transformation is the one thing about the original Chaos that I really didn't like.

ZGMF-X36S Leviathan Abyss Gundam - More beam cannons than even Kira could keep track of. Mostly this is for defense, kind of like that Shy-Tarn from Victory, so I stuck a couple of Geschmeidig Panzer parts in its shoulders and gave it extra beam cannons. I guess it could still swim if it wants to, though.

ZGMF-X39S Knight Justice Gundam - There's a little-known clause in Athrun's contract requiring all of his Gundams to be varying shades of red, and half of them to be the color of a fresh bruise. He and his Coordinator super-reading skills missed that one the first time around.

ZGMF-X58S/E Griffin Impulse Gundam - A spastic new high performance Impulse variant. Got rid of the Core Splendor system because the forces using it don't have an assload of spare Impulse parts to spit out on demand, so now it's just a general unit.

ZGMF-X72S Omega Destiny Gundam - That Dark Destiny I drew a while back. It's scarier and faster and loaded with all sorts of nasty new weapons, like beam claw fingertips and exploding ninja stars. I had fun with this one.

ZGMF-X98S Cerberus Gaia Gundam - There's a transformation for this one too, but again, too lazy. Those two extra heads could have come out better.

ZGMF-X100S Twilight Gundam - Eventual upgrade to the Royal Gundam, it's fast and pretty and stuff. Sort of like the Destiny without all those extra weapons.
Last edited by ShadowCell on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Antares

These are very interesting. I'd like to see the tranformation sequence for the new Gaia though! 8) Thinking about the tech specs for them yet?
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
jam!

I like your imagination.
Despite some of the problems with your drawings...they get the point across sufficiently.

Would you mind if I chose some of your characters and mecha for drawing practice? I'll post it in my thread on these boards.
ShadowCell

...um...what exactly do you mean by that?
G.Squirrel

I think he wants to practice his drawing skills by using some of your characters/mecha.

Anyway, your designs work though there are some flaws in your drawings. There are alot of perspective issues and the faces, of both mechs and people, seem to slope freakishly inward at the cheek. But, great effort!
ShadowCell

I think he wants to practice his drawing skills by using some of your characters/mecha.
Oh. Well, if that's the case, sure, knock yourself out.
jam!

Yeah...I meant that.
Ascension

The proportions seem somehow off on some of them, but I really like the Omega Destiny (darkness powah!) and the Cerberus Gaia (three headed frenzy!).
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Bright Noa

Not bad....keep up the good work!!
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
ShadowCell

So sometimes I draw things. And I put them on the Internets.

Sometimes.

Emily again. I rather like this new design.
Folken Fanel

Why do I think she's about to punch someone in that picture?
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
ShadowCell

Well, no means no. Sometimes this lesson must be taught violently.
Folken Fanel

I guess this means that you're gonna do the sequel once you finally finish all those side stories?
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
ShadowCell

Yeah, barring any other unforeseen developments. Like life.
Bremics

ShadowCell wrote:More Gundam designs. They're all built on the same frame, which was accomplished by drawing one and tracing the frame, while adding all the other stuff on to differentiate them. I thought this would be a totally awesome excuse to be lazy. It was not.

Anyways.

ZGMF-X26S Rogue Savior Gundam - Oh, sure, it does transform, but I'm lazy and didn't feel like drawing the transformation. So, uh, there.

ZGMF-X27S Royal Gundam - It used to be shiny and gold, but I didn't feel like keeping it shiny and gold, so now it's black and purple.

ZGMF-X29S Gunbarrel Chaos Gundam - Four gunbarrels! Whee. No transformation, though, because the transformation is the one thing about the original Chaos that I really didn't like.

ZGMF-X36S Leviathan Abyss Gundam - More beam cannons than even Kira could keep track of. Mostly this is for defense, kind of like that Shy-Tarn from Victory, so I stuck a couple of Geschmeidig Panzer parts in its shoulders and gave it extra beam cannons. I guess it could still swim if it wants to, though.

ZGMF-X39S Knight Justice Gundam - There's a little-known clause in Athrun's contract requiring all of his Gundams to be varying shades of red, and half of them to be the color of a fresh bruise. He and his Coordinator super-reading skills missed that one the first time around.

ZGMF-X58S/E Griffin Impulse Gundam - A spastic new high performance Impulse variant. Got rid of the Core Splendor system because the forces using it don't have an assload of spare Impulse parts to spit out on demand, so now it's just a general unit.

ZGMF-X72S Omega Destiny Gundam - That Dark Destiny I drew a while back. It's scarier and faster and loaded with all sorts of nasty new weapons, like beam claw fingertips and exploding ninja stars. I had fun with this one.

ZGMF-X98S Cerberus Gaia Gundam - There's a transformation for this one too, but again, too lazy. Those two extra heads could have come out better.

ZGMF-X100S Twilight Gundam - Eventual upgrade to the Royal Gundam, it's fast and pretty and stuff. Sort of like the Destiny without all those extra weapons.
None of these are working...
Pray she never meets Athrun.