ShadowCell Draws Stuff and Puts it On the Internets

The place to share your artwork.
VR7

Post by VR7 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Vector art uses mathematical formulas as opposed to pixels to generate shapes. The difference is that vector art can be resized and reshaped without problems faced by raster art.

I used to use it to do lineart cleanup. If you have Photoshop or Illustrator, you can do it using the pen tool. Handling of vector shapes is different between the two though.

http://www.blee-designs.net/vexeltutorial/

Here's a tutorial, using Illustrator.
-noeltan
noel's dA

carny (kär'nē) n:
  • A thousand tiny fingers clawing at your spine.

scream train (skrēm trān) n:
  • Two hundred tons of unstoppable terror burning through the night.

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:27 pm

...m-m-m-math!

*hides* Away! Away, you numerical demons! I'm a liberal arts major! I only take it because I have to! The power of the philosophy department compels you!

*ahem*

I think I've done something similar to what you suggested, but not for mecha, and I pretty much just made a bunch of anchor points to make curves.

Antares

Post by Antares » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:17 am

The power of the philosophy department compels you!
...until it turned out they did maths, too. :( Supplementary course to Logic is still the only course I flunked at uni, and was glad (although a little ashamed) to walk away from. I managed the basic course just fine, because that was words. Then it changed into numbers, and by the midpoint of the course I knew I would flunk. But I really, really tried. After that, I've left numbers to people who actually like playing with them, the freaks. :P At least you draw, ShadowCell. :)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.

Areku

Post by Areku » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:37 am

Antares wrote:I've left numbers to people who actually like playing with them, the freaks.
Hey! I resent that! Numbers are our friends, they're just tough-love at times.

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Antares wrote:Supplementary course to Logic is still the only course I flunked at uni, and was glad (although a little ashamed) to walk away from. I managed the basic course just fine, because that was words. Then it changed into numbers, and by the midpoint of the course I knew I would flunk.
My logic course involved truth values and truth tables and stuff, under which lie mathematical principles...but the only numbers I can recall from that class were grades (which, fortunately, were high).
Areku wrote:Hey! I resent that! Numbers are our friends, they're just tough-love at times.
My relationship with math is more an abusive one. As in, "GOD I HATE YOU AND I HOPE SATAN ENJOYS SODOMIZING YOU FOR ALL ETERNITY IN HELL!" and then a month later, "Baby, I need you to fill my 'Mathematical and Statistical Analysis' requirement..."

Seeing as how I draw for fun and have no intention of trying to make a living off of it, I'm in the market for drawing/cleanup techniques that don't require math.

G.Squirrel

Post by G.Squirrel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:18 pm

Seeing as how I draw for fun and have no intention of trying to make a living off of it, I'm in the market for drawing/cleanup techniques that don't require math.
What are you using to draw these mechs? I haven't read through all of these pages, so I don't know if you mentioned what you used or not. Are you tracing over parts and then mashing them together (not an attack, a serious question) or something else?

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:28 pm

G.Squirrel wrote:
What are you using to draw these mechs? I haven't read through all of these pages, so I don't know if you mentioned what you used or not. Are you tracing over parts and then mashing them together (not an attack, a serious question) or something else?
For some, I do that; for the ones I posted just recently, I draw them freehand with a .7mm mechanical pencil on white printer paper, using references from models/toys and lineart as necessary.

G.Squirrel

Post by G.Squirrel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:36 pm

I draw them freehand with a .7mm mechanical pencil on white printer paper, using references from models/toys and lineart as necessary.
Ah, .7mm pencils, how I love thee. Have you tried using a pencil with a thinner line weight, such as a .5mm or .3mm? Your lines seem pretty dense, but that may be a product of a photoshop filter you are using. Do you ink your mechs after drawing them or do you leave them as is? Also, what kind of eraser do you use?

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:39 pm

I scan them at 300dpi and in black and white with the threshold at about 200, save them as .bmps, then open them up in Photoshop and use the pencil eraser to clean up erasures and whatever else shows up in the lineart that shouldn't be there. Then I set the lineart up as a second layer and start coloring on a third layer.

G.Squirrel

Post by G.Squirrel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:55 pm

I scan them at 300dpi and in black and white with the threshold at about 200,
Hmmm, this may be part of the problem. I find that whenever I scan in pencil work I have to be careful using the black and white setting on my scanner. Whenever I use it, the scanner usually picks up the little grey bits of graphite next to the line left over from the pencil or eraser marks and sets them to black, making my line much thicker and "wobblier" than I intended because the graphite isn't evenly distributed next to the line.

This problem is usually resolved when I ink my work before scanning it, then erasing whatever pencil marks I have on the page. This allows the scanner to detect a clear difference between black and white and it doesn't need to make a judgement call on what is or isn't dark enough to be scanned. It works even better if you ink your design on a separate piece of paper because then you won't have to deal with any potential eraser marks.

Everything else about your method seems pretty standard.

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:05 am

I don't mind having to deal with erasures in the scanned lineart, since it's also an opportunity to correct any problems in the lineart (ex. the end of one line overlapping another where it shouldn't).

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:17 am

Some 00 designs that may or may not be invalidated by the series. Who knows. Who cares.

GNW-3500 Astaroth Gundam
Because Ali al-Saachez, that most magnificent of bastards, cannot possibly go without a Gundam after the Arche gets trashed by that Kurdish brat's 00 Raiser, he upgrades to the swanky new Astaroth Gundam. Improvements include more GN Fangs, a GN cannon in its chest, and finally a cupholder on the dashboard!

GNZ-007 Gamella
This is what you get when the Gadessa and Garazzo do the Fusion Dance. The Gamella mounts two GN cannons each equipped with their own GN Drive[T]s, for fast recharge times and rate of fire. Healing Care pilots it; because she thinks she's cute and adorable, she painted it pink, and nobody has yet told her that she's, um, not cute and adorable.

GNMA-XII Imperator
You may recognize some, um, influence from the Neue Ziel II from SD G Generations. Alejandro Corner upgrades his ruined Alvatore into this thing, which is even larger and more heavily-armed than the original, and packs a grand total of seventeen GN Drive[T]s.

GNMS-XII Imperatrix
Alejandro Corner upgrades his damaged Alvaaron into this thing. It's not much more than an upgraded Alvaaron, toting two dual beam rifles and a stronger GN field. Since Alejandro is the master of original mobile suit/mobile armor design, like the Alvaaron and Alvatore, the Imperatrix is hidden inside the huge mobile armor Imperator.

GNZ-093 Pegasus Gundam
Continuing the trend of Amuro Ray in-jokes concerning a certain green-haired Innovator voiced by a certain "Noboru Sougetsu," the Pegasus Gundam is basically a Gadessa-ized Hi-Nu Gundam.
Last edited by ShadowCell on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nightwing03

Post by Nightwing03 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:28 am

Omg, i think i fell in love with your Gamella (aside from the color scheme). Quite interesting concept of the cannons having their own GN Drive to recharge faster. After looking at your awesome Gamella, i'm going to have to come up with my own Garazzo/Gadessa Variant.
♣♦♠♥

young_oldtype

Post by young_oldtype » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 am

The Pegasus...It just satisfied my need for a drake.
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis

Dean_the_Young

Post by Dean_the_Young » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 am

ShadowCell, remember how you said a Graham-custom Kyrios would be the easiest re-release ever...?

I'm curious what you would do with it. Really.

Ooh! And an Exia Ali al-Saachez custom. <3 to that.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:51 pm

...curse you! Now my mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Dean_the_Young

Post by Dean_the_Young » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 pm

ShadowCell wrote:...curse you! Now my mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
I don't know what that means, but I like it. :P

So...

You want to make the Exia bloodthirsty... you want to make it worthy of a bastard...
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 pm

You haven't seen Blazing Saddles?!

My soul weeps.

Dean_the_Young

Post by Dean_the_Young » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 pm

ShadowCell wrote:You haven't seen Blazing Saddles?!

My soul weeps.
Wait, was that the other gay cowboy movie? If so, yes.

Official Jerid Fanboy

ShadowCell

Post by ShadowCell » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 pm

Dean_the_Young wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:You haven't seen Blazing Saddles?!

My soul weeps.
Wait, was that the other gay cowboy movie? If so, yes.
...well, Blazing Saddles had gay people in it, but no, it wasn't a gay cowboy movie the way Brokeback Mountain was a gay cowboy movie.