Turinu's 3D Mecha Art - 4/30/2018 - Various Mecha Stuff

The place to share your artwork.
Turinu

Re: Turinu's Design Compendium - 3/11/12 - Now a Mecha Samur

Now we go from a Ninja... to a Samurai~!

8. MF1457-098 Muramasa (3D)
Muramasa Frame Original Colors

This was made for an art trade with a friend on a Gundam RPG board. In exchange for drawing some characters for me, I made him a Battle Frame, :3.

Despite its bright orange color scheme, it was based off of Masamune Date (Sengoku Basara Style, six swords n' all). Fear its full Samurai glory!
Antares

Does the headgear serve any other purpose than just go for show? Because, you know, it is big and showy. :)

I would also expect some handguards on the katanas; it won't help you to have six if the first parry leaves your Frame without fingers to hold'em. ;)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Turinu

Originally they did have hand guards. But then I had a hell of a time trying to line them up properly on the side skirt without them looking weird, out of place or having the side skirt be huge.

So I shirked the hand guards so it could carry more swords. Quantity over quality, in this case. P:

As for the head... yeah, pretty much supposed to be showy.
Turinu

Turinu's Design Compendium - 5/20/12 - Hammer Time!

I actually finished this last night, but went to sleep after upping it on DA. So here's my latest Battle Frame design, the Standard Heavy Frame. Hammer time~!

9. BT/M-PTG001 Standard Heavy (3D)
Standard Heavy Frame Production Colors

Was originally planning to go with a double-barreled shotgun, but I just think the Hammer goes nicely with the design.

And with that, all three Standard Frames have been completed. Next is one more female frame request design, then it's on to the next twelve sets of Mecha and weapons.
Last edited by Turinu on Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tehprognoob

Re: Turinu's Design Compendium - 5/20/12 - Hammer Time!

banhammer mecha
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Antares

Re: Turinu's Design Compendium - 5/20/12 - Hammer Time!

Ahem.... HAMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEERRRR!!!!
(from Scryed ;) )
Antares

Re: Turinu's Design Compendium - 5/26/12 - Action Poses!

Maybe the pink highlights do this, or for some reason I think the Sheridan (as opposed to its pilot) is female. :D The stance also reminds me of that chick in Jormungand...

I'd say your strongest suit is definitely the back-heavy poses, like preparing to charge/draw a weapon. The jumping image somehow was the less dynamic one; I guess I somehow thought it was oriented too much upward. Adding something to jump over or to jump at would, IHMO, greatly show the direction and dynamism of the action-pose.
Turinu

Would it be wrong to say the pilot of the Sheridan is actually a really buff, surfer-cut guy with scars and a pet that hangs out on his shoulder?

... I guess it would be wrong. Lol.

Yeah. The Sheridan and the Speis don't seem to draw as many favorites as the other ones do. Hopefully someone shows them some love. D:
Turinu

Started work on a new mecha. This is separate from the Frame Crash project, just to get back into the feel of making mecha from scratch, rather than a template.

A preview of the cockpit. S'gonna be quite the squeeze getting in there. Originally I was gonna have the cockpit entrance in the back (You'll see in following pictures), but after awhile I just figured it'd be easier to put it in a typical chest-oriented position. That lil' guy in there is for size comparison.

Angle shot of the front and back. I'm going for a compact and sporty look. The reactors are actually those compartments on the side; hence why the cockpit's able to take up so much space in the chest, and why it's capable of being so small a frame. I like how the thrusters came out; the grills on the thrusters just look cool, and where the original cockpit entrance was I'll probably tack on a couple of multi-directional rocket thrusters of sorts.

Playing around with the renderer. I need to do this more often.

More render action, with reflections! Was trying to get that polished look a lot of shiny cars have, but I don't want it to be too strong.

Here's a design sheet detailing various aspects of the body core.
Turinu

Slowly but surely finally getting used to handling this renderer.

Here's a fully rendered image of the Hildebrandt drawing its sword.

This is most likely the same type of material layer I'm going to use for all future renders. Came out nice and perfect, in my opinion~
Osaka

You seem to have this huge focus on close combat. Is there any particular reason?

What would be good from a design perspective (and really fun to do) would be to sit and watch how people actually use swords and the way their bodies move and adjust the proportions and emulated muscle-groups (joints) accordingly to get the best effect.

Since you draw inspiration from eastern styles and Samurai specifically, it might help to learn how it all actually worked. For example, their training techniques were very non-contact and hence because they weren't pragmatic, the katana was actually a very poor weapon for war because -- flat out -- they had no idea how to strike a living opponent in combat or how to deal with an attack. It was almost a spiritual thing, like how soldiers are made to respect their rifles. It was mainly seen as a political symbol for controlling populations more than as a direct combat weapon: Most samurai were bow-men or used lances due to the superior reach and penetration of both.

Noteworthy is the fact that the steel was folded because the available iron was of a very low purity and hence the steel actually had to be folded to make it usable, not to make it stronger. The truth is that katanas are actually very fragile weapons that fracture and warp very easily meaning the combat revolved around single strikes rather than parrying or any western techniques.

if you're curious, Miyamoto Musashi ('the most famous swordsman who ever lived')'s diaries were recently discovered and retranslated without interference from the Japanese government and the results were astounding.

For example, he was a pure pragmatist who wanted to explore full contact training, after rejecting the pederasty of potential trainers many times and being rejected from several schools because of it. He went on to document the fights of others and would re-enact fights full contact but without swords to see what would happen and kept a diary of the methodology of how it all really worked. When he tried his hand at real combat, he was unnaturally confident against his opponents due to his full-contact training and knew what muscle movements to look for and how to exploit his opponents stance to be two or even five steps ahead of them. In his final days as a mighty middle-finger to the establishment of Japanese swordfighting tradition, he wielded two katana. Essentially, to wield a katana in a single hand is seen as highly disrespectful as you are not 'assuming the proper stance to channel the weapon' - whatever the hell that means. By having two, there was no way one-handed wielding could be accidental. He spent the rest of his life trying to explain how the katana was an awful weapon for war and how the training methods were laughable as a statement against Japanese orthodoxy and conservatism and their immense love for tradition and dogma over context.

Mostly everything you'll hear about katanas is hugely exaggerated and said because it sells and because the sword enthusiasts enjoy self-importance. The truth doesn't sell. Its a weapon that over 1000 years wasn't changed or developed or seen as a weapon. It was thought to be a symbolic weapon and hence new sword development wasn't taken seriously.

Pretty cool, huh?

If you're really interested in seeing how combat works, read the published work of historians. There's some great stuff on Youtube. If you're interested in hand-to-hand combat, check out MMA. Its a big melting pot of every hand to hand combat style mixed to see what works and what doesn't. In the end, hard grappling, submissions and an array of very fast striking moves pulled from many different arts and styles. Styles that weren't full-contact essentially failed because the people executing them had no idea whether they'd really work. For example, in many martial arts, throws require that your opponent stand still and not actually try to invert or offset your center of balance. Anyone who's actually had full-contact training will recognise a throw and immediately counter it into a floor based grapple, exploiting the act of the opponent trying to throw them as an opening to really mess with them. Its really fascinating stuff.

Sorry about that big wall of text, anyway. This is the kind of thing I like talking about.

What scale are your machines? What kind of combat ranges do they work at? what kind of combat situations do they exist in? What technologies power them and make close-combat viable in the first place? :3
tehprognoob

what powers close range combat?

the fact that it looks cool as shit.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Turinu

S'been awhile since I updated with anything here, so I'll toss a couple of WIP's out for my latest mecha.

Altair WIP4
Altair WIP5

Five is, obviously, the latest Work-in-progress on this mecha. I've added the arms to the frame and connected them, on top of starting the joints. Also some subtle changes to the body that aren't too noticeable; had to alter the angle of the sword mounts, which were originally pointed slightly inward, to point straight forward so I could properly add the arms in.

Random pose, I currently call this rendition of Altair "Mr. Stubs."
Antares

Re: Turinu's Design Compendium - 8/22/12 - Mr. Stubs! WIP Up

Is the insignia on the chest lifted from somewhere or an original? Looks familiar, but then again there are so many crests and coats of arms in mecha shows that it might just resemble something I've seen.
Turinu

It's an original emblem, but "Shield with Wings and a Sword" is used everywhere, so there's no surprise something similar may have been seen on fifty different other mecha. XD
Turinu

Just having a little bit of thruster fun... maybe a bit overboard. XP

I redid the legs if it wasn't noticeable, and now I'm just planning out the future additions to the frame, which include a rocket thruster suite. Possibly not final... can't decide. D:
Antares

That depends if this is a space-use model... hi-maneuver type for sure, in that case. However, in gravity I think the suit could become uncontrollable 'cuz the drain on propellant would require massive fuel supplies, and the strain put on the frame my thruster output might actually cause it to rip apart.

But, as said, if you make a space-faring suit out of it with the specific aim of hit-'n'-run attacks in mind, that might do quite nicely. :)
Turinu

Project Altair Mecha Turntable. Here's a prelude to the eventual design sheets I'll be making for this mecha.

Finally finished the Altair. Took longer than I wanted to make this model (Fought through extreme bouts of laziness and urge to do other things while setting it aside for later). Maybe a total of three, four days if you add together all the hours I worked on it.

Suffice to say, it was refreshing to work on a model from scratch that I didn't design from my Frame Crash Mecha template.